PDA

View Full Version : Discus not eating 10 days+, isolated, can't figure out why?

jimmyaz
11-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Hey all,

I have a 120G tank with about 7 discus of various sizes. They are all seem fine, but after a 25% water change and some tank maintenance about 2 weeks ago. This orange/yellow 4" which was doing fine, sundenly isolate in one corner and would not eat for 2-3 days. I normally feed frozen blood worm and flakes, but it ignored both.

Last week, after 4 days of not eating, I moved it to a 10G tank and treat it with API general cure, hoping it was some type of internal parasites. After 96hours of treatment, didn't seem to make any difference, still not eating. I even tried soaking the food with Seachem garlic flavor... I had since put it back in the 120G tank, still hang out in the same corner and sometime come out when feeding, suck in a worm, but split it back out.. what the?

I can't see any sign of injury or any other fish picking on it... :( Help... I have not seen it eat for about 10 days now.... Didn't even know it can survive this long without eating.

Attached photo... thank you.

brewmaster15
11-17-2018, 01:01 PM
Jimmy,
Welcome to SimplyDiscus! Sorry you are having issues here. To help you better we could use some more info. Please cut and paste this questionnaire here..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

My guess is the Fish probably needs a stronger more lengthy dosing of Metronidazole. The Stuff in API general cure, is too weak and not a long enough treatment to have much effect on Discus.

al

jimmyaz
11-17-2018, 10:16 PM
Jimmy,
Welcome to SimplyDiscus! Sorry you are having issues here. To help you better we could use some more info. Please cut and paste this questionnaire here..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

My guess is the Fish probably needs a stronger more lengthy dosing of Metronidazole. The Stuff in API general cure, is too weak and not a long enough treatment to have much effect on Discus.

al

Hi,

Would MetroPlex from Seachem be the same as Metronidazole? It said it can treat, Protozoan Para, anaerobic bacterial diseases.

jimmyaz
11-17-2018, 11:02 PM
Jimmy,

al

Thank you for your reply. Is the MetroPlex from Seachem the same as Metronidazole?

Should I treat the effected fish in a separate tank or just treat all my fish in my main 120g tank? Would it harm my plants?

jimmyaz
11-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Is MetroPlex from Seachem the same as Metronidazole? Should I move the effected fish to a separate tank or can I treat the entire 120G tank with the other fish? Would this effect my plant?

brewmaster15
11-17-2018, 11:32 PM
I would get pure metro from somewhere like Jehmco.com

Treat at 500 mg per 10 gals water for 10 days. Since no one else is having issues I would just treat that fish in a hospitol tank.If anyone else is acting off then treat the whole group Jimmy.

When treating you want to do large daily water changes and redose.

It will not affect plants and should not affect the biofilter.

hth,
al

bluelagoon
11-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Hi Jimmy,the Seachem stuff is only 70% pure.So,you'll need at least 30% more when dosing.

jimmyaz
11-18-2018, 12:06 PM
Thank you for your replies. I guess I may have to treat the whole tank. It seem like some of the others are starting to act weird. Not sure if it's because of the tank is heavy planted that causes them to act independent... I thought Discus are a school type fish where they hang out with each other? Suddenly it seem like the Discus in my tank like their own little space and just stayed still.

Just making sure, this med would not effect the smaller fish right? like guppy, pleco, otocinclus catfish? it would just treat them as well. I am a bit scared to treat the whole tank, don't want to murder all of them. :D

brewmaster15
11-18-2018, 01:02 PM
Jimmy Metro should be safe for all fish. I have used it on many species and have never had a problem.

God Luck!

al

ps..

I thought Discus are a school type fish where they hang out with each other? Suddenly it seem like the Discus in my tank like their own little space and just stayed still.
this is only true for younger fish as they mature they want some space and don't school unless they are threatened.

jeep
11-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Thank you for your replies. I guess I may have to treat the whole tank. It seem like some of the others are starting to act weird. Not sure if it's because of the tank is heavy planted that causes them to act independent... I thought Discus are a school type fish where they hang out with each other? Suddenly it seem like the Discus in my tank like their own little space and just stayed still.

Just making sure, this med would not effect the smaller fish right? like guppy, pleco, otocinclus catfish? it would just treat them as well. I am a bit scared to treat the whole tank, don't want to murder all of them. :D

Jimmy, I would consider buying from Jehmco as Al stated. The over the counter stuff is not pure and, if dosed for discus in a 120g tank, you will end up spending much more money for an inferior product.

https://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html

Brian

jimmyaz
11-18-2018, 07:21 PM
Jimmy, I would consider buying from Jehmco as Al stated. The over the counter stuff is not pure and, if dosed for discus in a 120g tank, you will end up spending much more money for an inferior product.

https://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html

Brian

Got it, will have to call them tomorrow morning to order. It seem they do not do online order.