PDA

View Full Version : Natural Environment "...sandy bottom" Color???

taneal1
12-05-2018, 12:06 PM
Whether painted or bare, I don't like the mirror effect of the tank bottom, and I have to wonder if it stresses the fish. My plan is to recreate the river bottom of the natural discus environment as closely as possible. For cleanliness I will keep the layer as thin as possible. Apparently, it is sandy, but I have yet to find a description of color. I have a vague memory that it is white, or at least a light color.
Any thoughts or info is appreciated.

Tom

Paul Sabucchi
12-05-2018, 12:49 PM
I think it is a matter concerning the fishkeeper's aesthetic preferences rather than those of the fish. By the limited experience with my lot, the bare bottom does not seem to intimidate them one jot, never seen them trying to hide in a corner. This probably applies to most domestic hybrid discus as probably for dozens of generations they have been bred and raised in BB tanks. With wilds it may be different. The natural look is more pleasing and may well seem what most resembles the environment from which the species originates but for me this does not automatically imply that trying to mimick it in a tiny glass box is going to produce the best results. I have been growing out my discus for the last 15 months and in a few months, once I can relax the maintenance I was thinking of sprucing up the tank, add sime minimal decor and plants, some shoaling tetras and some sterbay Corys so debating weather to put a thin layer of pale sand. But plenty of people have reported that their Coreys do just fine on a BB

jeep
12-05-2018, 12:52 PM
The fish don't see the reflection. It's refraction between the light, water and air. Grab a scuba mask and stick your face in the water and you will see what they see, lol... I would be more concerned about a clear bottom than a painted one... I use Stone Creations by Krylon. It looks like a sandy bottom...

taneal1
12-05-2018, 03:08 PM
I think it is a matter concerning the fishkeeper's aesthetic preferences rather than those of the fish.
My primary reason for the sand bottom is to display the fish in their native environment. Secondary reasons are that *I* don't like the mirror effect, and possibly the fish don't either.

By the limited experience with my lot, the bare bottom does not seem to intimidate them one jot
OK. Thanks for the info.

Tom

taneal1
12-05-2018, 03:13 PM
I use Stone Creations by Krylon. It looks like a sandy bottom...
Good idea - I like it. Any issues getting the paint to adhere to the glass?

Tom

taneal1
12-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Anyone have an idea as to the color of the sand on the beds of the Amazon tributaries?

Tom

Paul Sabucchi
12-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Here are some video clips
This is more where discus are to be found
https://youtu.be/BwDCseB-D0Y

In this one taken in areas of stronger current you can actually see the sand but I do not think it would be their first choice of environment to live
https://youtu.be/CtvNc6BxEuQ

taneal1
12-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Heckels ... Rio Nhamunda ... black water ... "in between are fallen trees and logs - and there's always fine white sand present, too."

The Definitive Guide to Discus:
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/definitive-guide-to-discus-part-one

jeep
12-05-2018, 08:24 PM
Good idea - I like it. Any issues getting the paint to adhere to the glass?

Tom

I painted my tanks 15 years ago and on one of them the paint is wrinkling up and probably ready to come off.

gators111
12-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Just grab some pool filter sand and be done with it. It's cheap, easy to keep clean, and looks good. In the wild, the white sand is very fine, which would be a pain to vacuum in a tank.

pitdogg2
12-14-2018, 11:49 PM
I spattered mine with a black spray paint then went over with a brush a few days later with a tan'ish brown until I covered the glass completely. like three coats the spattered black spots give character, and yes you can still get the mirror effect at certain angles. Personally I do not mind and neither do the fish. Much easier to keep clean and not have to worry about sucking up the sand.

Pices
12-15-2018, 12:35 PM
That sounds nice pitdogg. Can you post a pic?
Patty