PDA

View Full Version : Please help with strain ID

PorcelainChina59
12-07-2018, 03:22 AM
Unsure of identify 4 mixed discus. This is the only one I could get a picture of right now...batteries went dead.120204It's about 2 1/2 inch.

danotaylor
12-07-2018, 07:59 AM
It is very early to tell for sure but looking at the pattern and early coloration my guess would be a red turquoise type...disclaimer; I kept discus in early 2000's and haven't been around them again until recent, so this is just my humble "stab" in the gene pool, lol ;)

PorcelainChina59
12-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Poor thing seems stunted to me--Let's just say my first experience of buying discus online about 3 weeks ago was a train wreck. I now know what to look for in a breeder thanks to simply. Only 4 survived 24 hours out of 10 discus and they had ick and flukes. Two of the four are stunted but seem to be growing more now.

danotaylor
12-07-2018, 10:03 AM
The eye to body ratio is a little off, but terribly so, but that is awful that so many died. Did the packing have heat pads and were they still warm when you received them? If not from a sponsor, may I ask where you sourced them from a "buyer beware" perspective?
My 1st shipping experience ever was shockingly bad as well. Not with discus, but still awful.
Sorry to hear Patti.

PorcelainChina59
12-07-2018, 06:07 PM
The eye to body ratio is a little off, but terribly so, but that is awful that so many died. Did the packing have heat pads and were they still warm when you received them? If not from a sponsor, may I ask where you sourced them from a "buyer beware" perspective?
My 1st shipping experience ever was shockingly bad as well. Not with discus, but still awful.
Sorry to hear Patti.

If it's ok to tell. I've reported to BBB and challenged my C/C charge which I never have done before but "SomethingsPhishy" will not work with me. One fish had no water and died right after I opened the box. (I had to put him in water fast....he literally wasn't covered anymore and was dark. His color came back but he never got off his side on the bottom and only took a couple breaths. The others died in mass within the next few hours...all dark and all with white spots and swollen gills. The four that survived looked the same but responded to salt first and than Life Guard Halo Shield with elevated temp and added air bubbler and I stayed up all night hold two under the filter bubbler as if resuscitating them with oxygen/cpr. I did many water changes through the next 4 days and the final four are still alive after 3 weeks--fighting but alive. (turned temp down in hopes to discourage aggression to 81) The now follow me everywhere...their tank is literally right up against my bed so I can watch them. They follow my finger and are growing like crazy now. They were roughly 1 1/2 -2 inches when I got them. They were also very thin now they are filling out. I don't expect a lot from them, but would like to know what they are just to know.

PorcelainChina59
12-07-2018, 06:23 PM

Here are the other 3 discus.

PorcelainChina59
12-07-2018, 06:24 PM
the last one is more yellow than the photo shows.

PorcelainChina59
12-07-2018, 06:29 PM
I just measured the orange one and he is closer to 3 inches...woah hoa.

jeep
12-07-2018, 10:20 PM
If it's ok to tell. I've reported to BBB and challenged my C/C charge which I never have done before but "SomethingsPhishy" will not work with me.

I didn't know he was still in business :mad:

PorcelainChina59
12-07-2018, 11:30 PM
I didn't know he was still in business :mad:

Yep and I told him off in an email...told him it wasn't about me or him but about the fish. They had been suffering because of improper packing...to Alaska...in the cold and they were sick. My credit card company has put in a formal complaint also for unfair business practice and such. I would like to get someone to pursue cruelty charges. Single bagged with tiny little bags. The 11 discus I got that were dime size from a friend were double bagged and lots of the end turned into the ring closing them up. One got hurt in the corner of the bag but the rest were fine and still warm those 11 are still alive and swimming around like crazy and growing. :) All I know is once they are with me they are doing better. I even called the vet and a marine biologist friend. :) (when you have as many animals as I do the vet is practically on retainer--especially when you breed small dogs.)

bluelagoon
12-08-2018, 10:22 AM
In the future look out for discus with a chipped eye such as the discus in the first pic.It's only a flaw but not desirable.Some may cull those.

PorcelainChina59
12-08-2018, 01:34 PM
In the future look out for discus with a chipped eye such as the discus in the first pic.It's only a flaw but not desirable.Some may cull those.

thank you Mervin. Yes I knew this. These fish were shipped to me as a group of 10...no picking out the fish on my part. Just one more thing to show that Somethingsphishy is not a good source for discus. :mad:

RogueDiscus
12-08-2018, 02:56 PM
Hi Patti,
Sorry to hear about the problems with your fish, but hopefully the survivors will do well under your care. Many of us started along the same route as you, only to have a bad experience, and eventually have our hobby saved by finding SD. I'm pretty sure Somethings.. has their own section in the product review area of the forum. Check out the Sponsors section for good sources next time around.
Steve

RogueDiscus
12-08-2018, 05:32 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?41161-somethingsphishy-feedback&highlight=Somethingsphishy

PorcelainChina59
12-08-2018, 05:50 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?41161-somethingsphishy-feedback&highlight=Somethingsphishy

How does he stay in business. This has been going on since 2002. Here I ask that but I fell for his game 16 years later. It's so sad.

PorcelainChina59
12-09-2018, 09:33 PM

Here are the other 3 discus.

Could I get a guess as to what all 4 of these discus are??? The first discus is the first post in this thread.

PorcelainChina59
12-11-2018, 02:08 AM
It's ok...I will find out else where. Thanks

danotaylor
12-11-2018, 03:40 AM
It's a guess, but the 1st image in the series of 3 looks like it could be a turquoise of some sort, and the last 2 images look like a fire red type and a pigeon blood of some sort. All are still very young and not fully colored so it is difficult to tell at this size. Also, since the supplier has been found to be of poor reputation, they could just be cross bred of no particular strain.
Sorry I can't be more helpful

PorcelainChina59
12-11-2018, 08:12 PM
It's a guess, but the 1st image in the series of 3 looks like it could be a turquoise of some sort, and the last 2 images look like a fire red type and a pigeon blood of some sort. All are still very young and not fully colored so it is difficult to tell at this size. Also, since the supplier has been found to be of poor reputation, they could just be cross bred of no particular strain.
Sorry I can't be more helpful

Thank you for giving me a direction to look towards as they grow. I don't mind doing research as to what they are but I just needed a jumping off place. Thank you so much again.

danotaylor
12-11-2018, 10:12 PM
Thank you for giving me a direction to look towards as they grow. I don't mind doing research as to what they are but I just needed a jumping off place. Thank you so much again.

My pleasure mate. :thumbsup:

Disclaimer; I have kept and bred many tropical fish over the past 35 years, but am new to discus. So these next comments are simply my thoughts & opinion on what I have observed;

One of the challenges with discus is they are one of the few globally accepted fish that are hybridized to develop the color and pattern strains we see today. The crossing of the existing "pure strains" happens regularly, and from those crosses all manner of colors, including genetic throw backs (color & patterns from previous fish in the line breeding process) are the result. For example, Al's pair of fine line snake skins produce SS and Turq fry, as Turq's are in the line breeding history. I have a lovely pair of Asian discus, a royal yellow male and red melon female. They have great color, are nice and round, and are generally nice quality. They are breeding and with the right care, their young will also develop into lovely discus. But what will they be called? The jury is still out on that...

It can be very difficult sometimes to really what know what we have, especially if we have bought from an LFS, a hobby breeder, or an online supplier that does not specialize in discus.
People that specialize in discus, such as our sponsors, usually only sell pure strains of discus, and it is therefore easy to know what we are getting.

I hope you enjoy the journey! :D

jeep
12-12-2018, 10:13 AM
I guess we did get a little off topic there, I agree with Danny on the ID's!

Second Hand Pat
12-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Oh man Patti, talk about going thru the wringer. I have never heard anything good about SomethingsPhishy. At least your four little guys are good hands now. As for strains; perhaps two turk types and two PBs. They will reveal themselves as they grow. :D
Pat

PorcelainChina59
12-18-2018, 01:51 PM
Oh man Patti, talk about going thru the wringer. I have never heard anything good about SomethingsPhishy. At least your four little guys are good hands now. As for strains; perhaps two turk types and two PBs. They will reveal themselves as they grow. :D
Pat

thanks Pat :)