PDA

View Full Version : The shrimp tank , aka my potted plants cleaning station.

Pardal
12-18-2018, 08:46 PM
Is amazing , how when we don't really care much and not even try , plants thrive this tank gets a WC maybe every month and half some times two, I let the algae grow in purpose , so the sherries can eat as they are scavengers, I feed them every three days or so. The only thing extra is the occasional refill for evaporated water every once in a while.

Adam S
12-18-2018, 09:28 PM
Beautiful tank, Julian. I really like the rotala wall you have on the sides and back.

Pardal
12-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Thanks Adams.
The shrimps are the descendants of the ones I bought from you a while back.

Disgirl
12-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Looks great Julian! I also have a small planted shrimp tank and enjoy it's beauty and ease of care. thjey are so fun to watch as they do their work aren't they?
Barb

RogueDiscus
12-19-2018, 01:12 PM
Thanks for this post Julian. Nice tank. I have a plant and shrimp experiment going myself and was concerned I hadn't changed water in a while, even though it looks OK.

Mando
12-19-2018, 03:00 PM
Tank looks great! my cherry shrimp devoured my rotala plant.

Pardal
12-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Looks great Julian! I also have a small planted shrimp tank and enjoy it's beauty and ease of care. thjey are so fun to watch as they do their work aren't they?
Barb
They are certain are Barb. I find my self watching these little critters often, and love the contrast of their red bodies against the lush green of the plants.

Pardal
12-19-2018, 07:56 PM
Tank looks great! my cherry shrimp devoured my rotala plant.

Mando
That is kind of odd , as they prefer leaves that are already dead, and the algae and mulm that grows on the leaves.
double check your light, water and substrate to be adequate, rotalas are one of the easiest plants to maintain too.

Mando
12-20-2018, 12:56 AM
Mando
That is kind of odd , as they prefer leaves that are already dead, and the algae and mulm that grows on the leaves.
double check your light, water and substrate to be adequate, rotalas are one of the easiest plants to maintain too.

They were on this plant like crazy. My nubias and amazons swords are doing spectacular. The rotola kept growing but it couldn’t keep up with all the shrimps. Maybe it doesn’t so well in 86 degree water.

Pardal
01-02-2019, 04:10 PM
They were on this plant like crazy. My nubias and amazons swords are doing spectacular. The rotola kept growing but it couldn’t keep up with all the shrimps. Maybe it doesn’t so well in 86 degree water.

Yes, temp could be a factor, I don't use any heaters in this shrimp/plant tank. room is at 76-78 year round.