PDA

View Full Version : My fish is a balloon

agrippo7
12-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Hey Everyone. My friend highly recommended this forum to me. So heres my issue.
My angelfish has been bloated since around mid-late November. Initially I thought it was bloating from constipation because the other one was too. But she was just full of eggs. So I fasted for 4 days, then followed a diet of veggie pellets mixed with daphnia. Another week passed and nothing. So then I went to my LFS and the suggested this was dropsy. So I ended up doing treatments of Kanaplex along with Epsom salt baths. The baths were 1tablespoon per gallon for 15 minutes. After all of this nothing has changed. My fish is still colorful and eating. He still swims around the tank, but often hes sitting in the corners more than usual.
Hes in a 55 gallon planted with co2. Normally weekly 50% water changes. Lately ive been doing them every 3 days as a precaution.
Parameters are as followed: pH - 6.8, Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrates- <20.

Any thoughts on what to do? I attached two pics. The brighter one was taken 11/25. The other 12/18

jeep
12-20-2018, 10:26 PM
Has the swelling gotten any bigger? If this were an infection I'd think it would be getting larger or killed the fish by now. I really don't think it would be eating and acting anywhere near normal, but I'm used to discus and not angels. Have you noticed any abnormal (white stringy) feces?

I'm wondering if this could be a tumor or some internal growth, but I still think there would be an increase in size.

bluelagoon
12-21-2018, 10:03 AM
First thing that comes to mind is what the person at the LPS told you.Kidney failure/disease.

Pices
12-21-2018, 12:15 PM
I have a fat angel like that. I did Epsom salts and nothing changed. He eats, fights and poops and is otherwise healthy so I just let him be. He doesn’t sit around the corners unless my other pair lays eggs, then they are all in the corners. He’s been like this for 4 mos now. I’m not able to load a pic right now. I’ll try again later.
Patty

jeep
12-21-2018, 12:21 PM
First thing that comes to mind is what the person at the LPS told you.Kidney failure/disease.

This also came to mind, and is in line with a recent experience I had. But, my discus stopped eating and died :confused:

Pices
12-21-2018, 01:17 PM
Here’s mine

Patty

agrippo7
12-21-2018, 05:56 PM
Swelling looks like it got bigger over time. Its hard to tell
Honestly I thoughthe would be dead by now. Should I try a more aggressive salt bath? I thought about possibly sedating him and aspirate him to see if ita just built up fluid. But I figured since hes acting normal to leave it alone. Plus it seems risky.

Second Hand Pat
12-22-2018, 12:23 AM
Brian (jeep) tried to post about this angelfish in a angelfish based group of Facebook and his post disappeared. I posted in his behalf tonight and this is what Brenda has to suggest

IMO it is very bloated , have him try one tablespoon of epsom salt per gallon of water. this will reduce the swelling , do a water change of 30 percent first then add this , also if i ever deal with bloat , have on occasion I do not feed for 3 days or so , some say feed peas , IMO if they arent feeling well they dont want that for sure and as you know will foul the water . I hope this fish gets better for your friend, its a Beauty . P S if he can treat in a smaller tank fine , if not , the Epsom will not harm the other fish what so ever !

Tuterosso
12-22-2018, 05:30 AM
use epson salt in granulated food for 7 days 2 times days

agrippo7
12-22-2018, 06:16 PM
What do you mean? Soak the food in epsom? Or soak in epsom and feed granulated food?

Mando
12-23-2018, 07:48 PM
What do you mean? Soak the food in epsom? Or soak in epsom and feed granulated food?

No need to mix food with epsom. Just do what Pat/Brenda suggested. Stop feeding and add 1 tbs of epsom per gallon.

Tuterosso
12-23-2018, 07:50 PM
its 3%, must use 15g on 500ml ro water then use on granulat feed 2 times day for 5-7 days and clean

agrippo7
12-24-2018, 05:45 PM
its 3%, must use 15g on 500ml ro water then use on granulat feed 2 times day for 5-7 days and clean

Ok. I'll give these ideaa a shot.

Thanks