PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

jmaldo
01-01-2019, 03:08 PM
Been a "Wet" pet keeper and "Underwater" gardener for almost 2 years. (I know just a per-schooler compared to most of you). Have been fascinated by Discus since I started. But realized I needed to get some seasoning before I was ready to do my best by these Beauties. Plan on starting a Planted? 125g in the Spring. Of course "Researching and still Learning"
I'll be asking a ton of "Questions", Just be patient with me.

Paul Sabucchi
01-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Hi, I wish you a heartfelt Welcome and Happy New Year! Ask to your heart's content, doing your research first will save you a ton of grief.
If you have not watched this video then please do, not a lot left to add.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?122038-Are-you-new-to-discus-WATCH-THIS-VIDEO!

You may find out that the advice given on this forum will not stray far from what Al said in his talk, but it is not that folk here are all brainwashed in thinking the same thing, it is just that experience has shown over the decades what works well and what does not

jmaldo
01-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Thank You for the "Welcome". I am about half way through the vid you linked. Informative is an Understatement.

Phil4Discus
01-01-2019, 11:41 PM
I'm new to discus keeping too. I've had them for about 4 to 5 months now. I, like you, want to do a planted discus aquarium though I had aspirations to have a completely carpeted tank in my 125 gallon. If I would do anything different, it would be to save up a little more money and buy around 4.5" in size from one of the sponsors here on Simply Discus. I bought from Live Aquaria and they arrived about 2 inches long. They are growing, but I can tell they are not of high quality even with my consistent water changes and feedings in a grow out tank. I later bought 6 4.5" discus from Chicago Discus and I was blown away by the quality of color and shape.

With a planted tank, I'd suggest starting off with your plants. Get it to look the way you want it to look before you plan on getting your discus. Depending on the size of discus you purchase, you may need another tank for grow out purposes. If you get them smaller like I did, you'll need to do frequent feedings and daily water changes for them to grow and look their best. If you check out the grow out contest, I'd suggest looking at Brian's thread so you can see what it takes to grow out these small discus. I wish I had the knowledge and consistency in my efforts as he has had in his grow out.

Edit to add: Welcome to Simply Discus! Don't be fearful of raising discus. I was nervous with how everyone online will always say they die and they're hard to keep, but really if you can put in the work, it's not too bad and well rewarding!

Mando
01-02-2019, 11:00 AM
everyone online will always say they die and they're hard to keep, but really if you can put in the work, it's not too bad and well rewarding!

+1 on quote.

Welcome to the forum! You're on the right track if you started to research first. And, prepare your self for an addictive collection.

Second Hand Pat
01-02-2019, 11:12 AM
Hi Joe and welcome to Simply. Just giving you this as something to consider and that is to start your discus in a BB tank without plants to allow yourself to get a handle on them before adding them to a planted tank. Once the discus are doing well and you are comfortable with their needs then add them to the planted tank.

It sounds like you already have a handle on planted tanks if you have been an underwater gardener for a couple years. Balancing the needs of the plants and fish generally requires knowledge and experience with both. :D
Pat

Swedgin
01-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Hi Joe,

a warm welcome from me, too. You came to the right place. This is a very friendly space, so please don’t be shy with any questions that might arise. The stickies in the respective sub forums will probably take care of most, but if anything is unclear we’re all here to help.

In my opinion research is half the fun of keeping discus.

Enjoy your stay.

Pices
01-03-2019, 11:07 PM
Welcome to the forum jmaldo. I look forward to following your journey with the coolest freshwater fish ever.
Patty

jmaldo
01-04-2019, 10:08 AM
:thumbsup:

Big "Thank You" to all for the "Welcome". In just the few days I have looked around here, it has been quite informative and eye opening. So much "Mulm" to swim thru in the vast Internet ocean.
Very "Happy" to find this forum of Veteran keepers. And of course "Newbies" like myself.
On to the Research!

Learning all the Time.

Swedgin
01-04-2019, 10:55 AM
:thumbsup:

Big "Thank You" to all for the "Welcome". In just the few days I have looked around here, it has been quite informative and eye opening. So much "Mulm" to swim thru in the vast Internet ocean.
Very "Happy" to find this forum of Veteran keepers. And of course "Newbies" like myself.
On to the Research!

Learning all the Time.

Glad you like it here. The things you pointed out are what separates a nice platform like simply from Facebook groups etc. you get good info, a friendly environment and no trolls or bashing.