PDA

View Full Version : New Kids

RogueDiscus
02-03-2019, 07:19 PM
I have a pair on Red Snakeskins that raised a very small batch a while ago. About a dozen fry. After culling I've got 5 of these guys that I just moved in to a tank with a pair of adults I'm encouraging, so I could use their breeding tank again. They're doing well, hoping they start showing some color soon. They're having no problem competing for food, and the adults have been very accepting of them.

LizStreithorst
02-03-2019, 08:42 PM
Nice little fish. Sometimes mixing sizes and ages works out. Sometimes not. As long as the pair doesn't decide to spawn I think that this will work out fine.

RogueDiscus
02-03-2019, 10:06 PM
A local discus friend that has bought from me before contacted me this past week looking to re-populate his tank after a mishap. I hadn't been looking to sell, but decided it was an opportunity to cut back a bit, especially since I'm working on building new tank racks. Anyway, I freed up enough tank space to move some fish around, and these guys are in a 75 with the "pair." I actually hope they pair up, since one of them is my show winner, and I'll move the small ones if I need to.

LizStreithorst
02-03-2019, 10:31 PM
You did the smart thing. No reason to keep what you don't want to use for breeding.

I see that the pair you're wanting to breed are Turk types. Do you plan to cross the young SS's with the pair's fry eventually?

RogueDiscus
02-04-2019, 01:15 AM
One is my Bred by Exhibitor winner, a turk, the other is a snakeskin. Both from the same parents as the fry I sold to Al, that have produced the growout challenge fry. Hoping to get some of my own. The red snakeskin pair that were the parents of the new guys have spawned several times, but i hadn't really been supporting them. Something I plan to do. You can see them in a for sale thread I started a while back, but then decided to keep them.

RogueDiscus
02-05-2019, 12:50 AM
The pair spawned today. Very few eggs and I have no idea yet if they're fertile, but both players were doing their part. I won't expect to keep them although it would be nice to confirm the pair.

RogueDiscus
02-05-2019, 12:55 AM
I'll try to get a good pick, but my turk has always shown all her (?) bars, (oldtimers, but I think she's over 2 now.). After giving the pair the tank, with the 5 fry too, she is only showing bars on her back half. Maturing and/or getting more comfortable?

RogueDiscus
02-05-2019, 01:01 AM
Kind of like the idea that leaving them in the community tank can actually encourage pairing up, given that they're so social, I've got the idea that juvies around might stimulate some paternal instincts if everything else is in a pair's favor. Helps the pair get in the mood. Just projections, but I've thought it's worked a couple times for me. I this works out well, I'll be in for a busy spring.

Filip
02-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Kind of like the idea that leaving them in the community tank can actually encourage pairing up, given that they're so social, I've got the idea that juvies around might stimulate some paternal instincts if everything else is in a pair's favor. Helps the pair get in the mood. Just projections, but I've thought it's worked a couple times for me. I this works out well, I'll be in for a busy spring.

Nice trick Steve . I hope it works for you .