PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hate washing filter socks?

Cove Beach
02-17-2019, 08:29 PM
For those of us with sumps, and that use filter socks and have to change them frequently I feel your pain. I currently rotate 15 socks constantly. Swapping,rinsing,soaking in bleach,rinse again and then air dry, repeat!!
I petitioned my wife for a dedicated washing machine. Got strange looks,figured that was a no.
So, I started to look for a new way. Enter the Coralvue Klir DI 7. It’s a roller filter that just drops into the existing sock holder. Being a SD guy, I read and watched everything on YouTube, and took the plunge and order it and what I hope will be a good supply of filter “fleece”. It actually looks like a roll of single ply toilet paper.
The unit arrived, I unpacked it and had it assembled in about 15 mins. The build quality is very good and all parts fit well. My sump is a DIY unit so I needed to make some mods. After making the changes needed I droppped it in and plugged it in. The Klir has been running for 3 days and I am already noticing better clarity due to the 50 micron filter fleece. AND! Best of all no more stinky fish poop filled socks!!
I will post pics if anyone wants to see my install, but YouTube has some good videos. Also the unit comes in a 4” size if you use the smaller socks.

LizStreithorst
02-17-2019, 10:15 PM
I don't have a sump. My least favorite thing to do is squeeze sponges. Little by little I'm changing to HMF filters.

Pices
02-18-2019, 03:19 PM
For those of us with sumps, and that use filter socks and have to change them frequently I feel your pain. I currently rotate 15 socks constantly. Swapping,rinsing,soaking in bleach,rinse again and then air dry, repeat!!
I petitioned my wife for a dedicated washing machine. Got strange looks,figured that was a no.
So, I started to look for a new way. Enter the Coralvue Klir DI 7. It’s a roller filter that just drops into the existing sock holder. Being a SD guy, I read and watched everything on YouTube, and took the plunge and order it and what I hope will be a good supply of filter “fleece”. It actually looks like a roll of single ply toilet paper.
The unit arrived, I unpacked it and had it assembled in about 15 mins. The build quality is very good and all parts fit well. My sump is a DIY unit so I needed to make some mods. After making the changes needed I droppped it in and plugged it in. The Klir has been running for 3 days and I am already noticing better clarity due to the 50 micron filter fleece. AND! Best of all no more stinky fish poop filled socks!!
I will post pics if anyone wants to see my install, but YouTube has some good videos. Also the unit comes in a 4” size if you use the smaller socks.
I am in the same boat as you Mark. Right now I’m looking at umpteen drying filter socks and they aren’t cheap! I ended up buying some poret foam from Swiss Tropicals and cut some circles out to fit over the socks. It buys me an extra couple days, but would love to see pics or the name of the you tube video to watch. Thanks for posting your find! :o
Patty

Combo
02-18-2019, 06:56 PM
i don't have a sump. My least favorite thing to do is squeeze sponges. Little by little i'm changing to hmf filters.

liz what is hmf filter

Combo
02-18-2019, 06:59 PM
I googled HMF Filter

Cove Beach
02-18-2019, 07:59 PM
Patty here is a link https://www.coralvue.com/klir-fleece-filter-di-7
This the manufacturer, but if you want just search Klir DI7 on YouTube and you will find some videos by Bulk Reef Supply and some amateurs also. In my situation I also ordered the matching sock tray because I did not build my sump with a tray.

Cove Beach
02-18-2019, 08:58 PM

Cove Beach
03-19-2019, 07:05 PM
Update on Klir Filter. I found one of the edges the filter material rides over to be a bit too sharp,which was causing too much drag on the motor that moves it. I rounded it off a bit and have had Zero problems since. And I am still on the first roll of filter material. It looks like I will get 2 months out of one roll on a 400 gal system with fifteen 4”-6” discus eating and pooping up a storm.
So now I have 15 dingy white part hats on the shelf! Yeaaaaa!

aravind90chan
03-26-2019, 09:36 PM

Do you see any difference in clarity or how much more waste it picks up?

aravind90chan
03-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Also, here is a controversial question for you.
If I were to use this in a grow out system, can I reduce water changes to 50% a day instead of 90% (say. or 25-30% a day instead of 50%). If detritus is the biggest component of waste in the tank, can we get away with physically removing them but still not affecting the discus?

shime
03-27-2019, 03:56 PM
use coolant filter paper 20 micron off ebay to replace the rolls. Much cheaper diy.

edit* im actually looking into the thieling compact for a new tank. The saltwater guys gave me the tip to use the coolant filter paper since its the same stuff. and u can find different microns for your needs.

Cove Beach
03-27-2019, 04:37 PM
I think if you drop down to 20 micron it will clog up pretty quick. Right now I am getting 2 months out of one roll with 15 four to six inch discus in 400 gals of system water. My reason for installing the unit was to eliminate dealing with 15-20 dirty 100 micron socks. Also it limits cycling my entire volume of water through an ever increasing amount of decaying waste for up to 2 days. I still do the same water change regime as it’s not removing nitrates, just suspended solids.

Jack L
03-28-2019, 12:07 AM
hated filter socks, mine plugged in 2 days, were a pain to clean and after several washing would start to have loose stitching. they were effective at removing debris though

price is high, but as mentioned, socks aren't cheap either. i'm not getting how this works on my sump though. my return line fed into the sock, not along side of it.

Jack L
03-28-2019, 12:23 AM
combo its a matten filter, a big sponge filter system

Cove Beach
03-29-2019, 07:26 PM
Jack, my sump is a diy that originally had just a sock holder rather than a tray. I’m guessing yours is set up like mine was, so to make it work I got the optional adapter that you see the drains going into off to the side. This allows the sensor to detect the water level rising, which causes the motor to advance the filter paper. If you go on YouTube and search for Klir filter you can see how it works, or go to Bulk Reef Supply and watch their videos.

Jack L
03-29-2019, 07:50 PM
Jack, my sump is a diy that originally had just a sock holder rather than a tray. I’m guessing yours is set up like mine was, so to make it work I got the optional adapter that you see the drains going into off to the side. This allows the sensor to detect the water level rising, which causes the motor to advance the filter paper. If you go on YouTube and search for Klir filter you can see how it works, or go to Bulk Reef Supply and watch their videos.

thanks, that price is a big hurdle for me. i'm thinking on some sort of disposable quilt batting solution, $10 buys A LOT

Cove Beach
03-30-2019, 08:48 AM
It was for me at first, but after doing a little math and figuring in my time dealing with nasty filter socks it made it a lot easier. Another bonus to the Klir is if you want to take a vacation, you don’t need to worry about finding someone that will change out a nasty sock every other day. Getting someone to drop some food in is way easier.

Cove Beach
04-04-2019, 07:21 PM
Just a quick update on the Klir. After running flawless for 2 months solid it stopped advancing the filter material. I contacted the manufacturer via email to troubleshoot the problem (a couple hours time total). I could have called I guess. Regardless there was no hassle getting parts sent to me and the unit was back in operation and all is well. While talking to the service tech, they told me the manufacturer was aware that the motor was at its limit with a 50yd roll, so now they come in 25yd 2 packs. Also the price for replacement parts for the future are reasonable.

Jack L
04-04-2019, 09:33 PM
nice when they support their product.

cooper666
07-01-2019, 06:48 PM
A trick I learned at a prawn hatchery. An old washing machine works pretty well on filter socks. If I had 15 socks, I would invest in one.

Yes, I hate cleaning filter socks very much.

slicksta
07-02-2019, 02:03 PM
thanks, that price is a big hurdle for me. i'm thinking on some sort of disposable quilt batting solution, $10 buys A LOT

I agree
I use disposable filter floss that's dirt cheap and when clogged just toss it out.

Cove Beach
07-02-2019, 07:10 PM
There is one thing the cheap floss won’t do and that’s change itself if you are gone for a week or more. I had to take a week long trip to walk my daughter down the aisle several states away. It was fairly easy to find folks to feed them but changing out filter media was too tall of an order for most. So for me it was a huge help and I came home to a display that looked like I never left. The only thing noticeable was they got bigger!

slicksta
07-02-2019, 09:31 PM
That's great and congratulations.

I've gone away many times anywhere from 3 - 5 weeks and not changing the floss was never a problem.
Don't get me wrong, it looks like a nice unit.. just not what I would spend my money on.
You stated that you already had a problem with it, and in my experience with such items... there's more of that to come.
Hope I'm wrong. . . Enjoy ;-)

Cove Beach
07-03-2019, 06:13 AM
Yep,the company realized the length of the original size of the rolls was too much for the motor to handle. They reduced the length and the unit is fine. There is no way I could get away with that amount of time with my water volume and stocking level. I’m running 400 gals with fifteen 5”+ fish, even a 200 micron sock gets nasty in less than a week let alone a 100micron sock. If floss works for you cool, everybody finds what works for them.

eugenefish
07-03-2019, 02:16 PM
I was surprised nobody mention using dishwasher to clean the filter socks. I clean 12 x 100 micron socks with two cycles of heavy duty washing program and baking soda. I have been doing that for over a year and all my discus and fancy goldfish are fine. I believe the hot water from the dishwasher help a lot :)

slicksta
07-06-2019, 07:21 PM
I hope that's not the dishwasher that you use for your family's dinnerware :-p

And I equate the use filter socks to diapers. If you're not using disposable, you're spending way too much time with poopie

Cove Beach
07-07-2019, 03:16 PM
I thought about the dishwasher thing, but considered the subtle cost of the machine, hauling it downstairs, plumbing hot and cold to it, plumbing a drain, another circuit to run, and the water and electric to run it. So yeah too much time and money with poopie!