PDA

View Full Version : My 29 Gallon LFS DISCUS Tank

Combo
02-23-2019, 01:46 AM
I have been here for almost 2 months I joined simply discus the same I got my first two discus one I got with a gift card my Daughter give me for Christmas and I bought the other one they around 2 or 2.5 inches after getting them home and in the tank I thought well I'd better find some info in discus because all I knew about them was about was the price that they get pretty good size and a pretty big verity of colors and patterns so I did a Google search and have seen enough of JOEY THE DIY KING Videos to know he knows what he is doing so when I seen DIY KING How To Keep Discus I knew that's the one I gonna watch so I did it Al's presentation blowed my mind and the very next place I went was here to SD started reading discus for beginners and then started going through the sticky's just picking whatever I thought I may need to know first or next and no it wasn't long before they started staying in one spot all clamped up ask for help got good advice and in just short time they were back to normal swimming around doing better and they did better each day I'm so thankful for really good friendly people on here SD I wasn't treated with anything but respect kindness

Combo
02-23-2019, 01:51 AM

Combo
02-23-2019, 02:12 AM
Not knowing anything about how to pick a good Discus out from a bad discus at the time Soon after I learned these guys were football shape eye to body ratio not very good and that LFS is not the place to get discus from so I after seeing the grow out challenge I started reading everyone's post and started following and started doing the things the challengers were doing and having such good results and I started seeing a difference in very quick I will take the time here and now to say THANKS FOR TAKEN PART IN THIS CHALLENGE AND SHOWING US ALL THE GREAT FISH YOU HAVE RAISED, AND TELL US WHEN, HOW AND WHAT STEPS YOU ARE TAKEN TO GROW THEM SO WELL!!!! I Wish I had found SD before this challenge started I would have loved to been part of it I would not have knew where to start or when, how or what to do for a couple weeks until some of the post most you challengers made your post so I could copy when, how and what you all are doing as I have sense late December.
I have learned and continue to learn everyday or I'm trying

Combo
02-23-2019, 02:30 AM
Three weeks later I got three more of the batch to at least have five trying to help the two feel more safe because when anyone passed the tank they would just darted across the tank bang and bounce off of anything and everything in the tank hurting theirself I was scared they was just gonna hit the glass hard enough to kill theirself I wanted to get fry from Al but I was concerned of the size difference and they being from different sources so I felt I had no other choice but to get more from the LFS [/ATTACH]122798122799 3 weeks and at the time of getting the 3 other siblings I moved them to a 55 gallon tank and then I read a post on SD that they should not be in that big of tank to much room and they burn to many calories swimming in that much area so I put moved them back to the 29 gallon tank

Combo
02-23-2019, 02:44 AM
I have been interduced to the source of these discus the LFS got these guys from and have learned that he bought them from a breeder about 60 miles from here at the size of quarter in Sept that puts time way way against me when buying them the size they were made me think they couple to 3 months old from Sept to Feb. Is five months so in Sept the size of quarter 1.5 to 2 months would this be correct

Pices
02-23-2019, 10:35 AM
You’ve done a great job giving these guys a new lease on life. I started here in similar circumstances. The great thing about you is that you made the necessary changes. I love the before and after pics as it reminds me of my own rocky start. So your fish may not be as healthy, round, or big, but whether you rehome them and start fresh or see what these can attain, you are either way, a successful discus keeper now. Love your story!
Patty

fljones3
02-23-2019, 10:54 AM
You’ve done a great job giving these guys a new lease on life. I started here in similar circumstances. The great thing about you is that you made the necessary changes. I love the before and after pics as it reminds me of my own rocky start. So your fish may not be as healthy, round, or big, but whether you rehome them and start fresh or see what these can attain, you are either way, a successful discus keeper now. Love your story!
Patty

+1

Willie
02-23-2019, 10:59 AM
Gravel => Bare Bottom. Way to go!

Willie

Combo
02-23-2019, 03:34 PM
Thank you Patty that

Thank you so much Patty for those kind words made some inside and out Thanks

Combo
02-23-2019, 03:35 PM
Thank you Frank

Combo
02-23-2019, 03:35 PM
Thanks Willie

Combo
02-23-2019, 03:45 PM
122820 This guy measurements is 3 an1/2 body to the end of tail measures 4 an 3/8

Combo
02-23-2019, 03:55 PM
122822. This one 3 an 3/4 include tail 4an1/4. This one has become my most trusting fish is always the first to front and top of tank when I walk up and the first one that started eating out of my hand before I can get the fdbw cube stuck to the glass . They were all sold to the LFS AS MALE how that was determined I don't know

Combo
02-23-2019, 04:08 PM
122823. 3 an 1/4. W/tail 4"

Combo
02-23-2019, 04:16 PM
122824. 2 an 3/4 w/tail 3an1/4

Combo
02-23-2019, 04:19 PM
122825 2 an 3/4 w/tail 3an 1/4 122826gr122826oup picture

peewee1
02-23-2019, 09:17 PM
you are looking good Combo. Your challenge can be to with proper nutrition and care to crow them to be show quality fishes. I have the same. Five fish, 30 gallon tank, the small one is 4 inches and the large is near 6 inches.

Combo
02-24-2019, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words peewee !! All I can do is keep feeding, and change water everyday these guys had pretty rough start from the size of quarter in sept they in a tank and got one water change a week is the man that sold them to the LFS told me let's call him Mr.A I didn't ask how much he fees them a day Mr A sold them to the fish he was breeding angel fish and something else I don't remember what it was and bought the discus was going to breed them to sell the LFS and decided he didn't have time to breed fish that he would stick to birds and yard animals " goats, pigs, and other things

Combo
02-25-2019, 10:54 AM
Just want to say "I truly feel the success these fish have shown is not mine But is (simply discus success) and I could not have done this without each and every members post" So Thank You All

Pices
02-25-2019, 01:46 PM
These guys are definitely keepers imho. I hope you’ll keep us updated as they grow. Their shape and coloring is beautiful and my guess is you won’t know these were lfs discus 10 mos from now.
I agree with you wholeheartedly on the people here. Learning how to care for discus has made me an overall better fish keeper with my other tanks. I’ve always had a thing for fish, but had grown bored or “had no luck” with certain fish that now thrive for me. Your thread will help so many others who end up in your circumstances and give them hope and something to shoot for. Good luck Combo-we’re all rooting for you!
Patty

fivestar68
02-25-2019, 04:06 PM
Nice job with those Discus combo. I'm 3 months into my Discus and I purchased them from Kenny's Discus. If you need any advise or just have questions he is a "GO TO" person with a ton of knowledge with Discus. Here are my Discus https://youtu.be/7Zy9Aog0xTk. Keep up the nice work with those beautiful Discus! Have a good day!

brewmaster15
02-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Looking very good indeed! Keep up the great work!!!!!! You are doing an excellent job so far Timothy!!!!!
-al

Combo
02-25-2019, 04:29 PM
THANKS PATTY, JACK,AND AL, FOR YOUR POST YES Patty I will keep them after getting them where they was at it is like now they are showing me that appreciate what I do for them by growing and getting the round shape being so colorful I couldn't let them go and then think they were put in not so good water or not get enough to eat or have some other illness come along and their new keeper not notice try to figure out what it is if something needs to be done or not and they suffer anymore they have been through enough in my opinion and I couldn't do it, there is still 4 of this same group at the place and they are so small I can't stand it knowing they are there and not getting the water and food they need SAD SAD SAD!!!!

Combo
02-25-2019, 04:57 PM
I love the video jack nice fish nice tank thats cool

fivestar68
03-05-2019, 01:56 PM
I love the video jack nice fish nice tank thats cool

Thanks combo!

peewee1
03-05-2019, 11:44 PM
Nice job with those Discus combo. I'm 3 months into my Discus and I purchased them from Kenny's Discus. If you need any advise or just have questions he is a "GO TO" person with a ton of knowledge with Discus. Here are my Discus https://youtu.be/7Zy9Aog0xTk. Keep up the nice work with those beautiful Discus! Have a good day!

Jack, both you and I got fish from the same Kenny month. Have yours attempted to spawn yet?

Combo
03-06-2019, 11:34 PM
It's been almost two weeks since last post I been sick post on this tank I have kept the sane feeding and water change schedule fish doing OK had one to get spooked yesterday and darted across the tank bumped in to the heater and broke the glass tube don't know if the fish run I. To it head and it hit the tank glass to make it break or exactly what or how it happened but it did I've read somewhere don't know if it was a post on SD or where it was that you shouldn't approach discus tank in a black shirt has anyone proven this or is it a myth? I am not sure but I did have on a back shirt lol

Combo
03-07-2019, 09:27 AM
The fish have grown maybe a quarter of an inch just going by the tape on front of tank I haven't took them out of tank to measure them looking at them everyday I don't notice the growth much, I do notice the shape and can see they just keep getting more round Grow rate has slowed seems like as they at 4 inches a couple just over and couple just under 4 inch. At the LFS I meet a man who has a 46 gallon bow front tank he said it was to big for the area he had to put it in his house we talked about trading as this 29 gallon is 7 inches shorter and it fit in the space but haven't heard anything else about it 3 days ago I don't know if the tank size has any thing to do with the growth or not

Combo
03-07-2019, 12:51 PM

Combo
03-07-2019, 12:56 PM
122967. OK this morning the fish look darker and they are very skiddish all grouped up very tight towards the back of tank not swimming around like usual when anyone walks by tank they start darting back and forth too to bottom bumping in to everything like wild bucks they just all of a sudden stop and look as they gliding or hovering just wonder what could have happen or what is going on if anyone can help with idea's thinks

Combo
03-07-2019, 12:58 PM
I am going to start a water change right now I'm going to do as close to 100% WC AS I CAN

Combo
03-08-2019, 03:58 PM
well I think i found what was going on this morning around 1 am the other day when the fish run in to the heater and broke i took it out and replaced it with a different heater and I guess it was not working correctly and the water temp got up to 94 degree I unplugged the thing took it out in about 45 mins. the fish were swimming the tank back and forth like normal their color was back to normal doing fine < now I don't know if it was the temp or if there was more wrong with the heater messing with the fish but since I took it out they have been fine so waiting to see what happens next on this adventure one just never knows

Combo
05-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Hello Everyone, I started a new job have not posted in a while, since finding eggs in my tank yesterday thought I would post what's going on. Like some other post I have read started a new job and getting in to new routine I slowed down on tank maintenance then just let it go for 2 weeks and I was like I have to clean this tank and get back on water changes so I did and after about 4 days of daily water changes BAM EGGS Okay I need some help was out for a little bit come sit down and like always looked at the tank to watch the fish and the cobalt was gliding up and down the sponge filter lift tube then he would look it over then glide some more so i WENT to the tank to get a better look and sure enough it was egg he was fertilizing the eggs now My problem is I did not see who laid the eggs when I got here eggs was laid this guy was the only one at the eggs and if any of the others come close he would run them off so not knowing who laid the eggs I couldn't just take everyone out except the mother and father but I don't know who is so made a cone cage put around the sponge filter unhooked the air line hooked the air line to a new sponge filter any and all advise what to do should I remove the cage and let nature take coarse or leave the cage to make sure that they make it to free swimmer stage P.S. this being young fish and first spawn Is 2nd reason for the cage

slicksta
05-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Your fish look perfectly fine to me and I think your doing very well for your first time keeping discus.
Take everything you read here (and anywhere on the internet) as information, mostly opinion and not 100% fact.
I've had a few runts over the years and them sometimes coming from reputable breeders to say and you know... they sometimes end up being my favorite fish.
The so called perfect body shape is a one factor to look for, but keep in mind it's a result of breeding not nature.
I'll take a mutt over a pure breed show dog any day.

As for your eggs...unless you're ready to invest a lot of time, effort and some money you may want to just let them be.
If you do want to take it on... You've got a lot of reading to do.

LizStreithorst
05-05-2019, 09:29 PM
I would never allow runts to reproduce. Stunted fish could produce some very good babies depending on their genetics.

Like slicksta said, you will have to invest, time and money if you go this route, plus breeding is such a crap shoot anyway. I like to breed, still I think that anyone who wants to breed is crazy.

Combo
05-06-2019, 06:13 PM
Thanks Slicksta, Well I kind of had the decision made for me last evening anyway, the eggs was laid on the lift tube of the sponge when the air was unhooked stuff started coming off the sponge so I had to take it out , so i removed the cage and took it loose at the base to leave the lift tube in the water and I took it the sink the rise it off and when I come back the eggs were already mostly eaten so I just left the cage off and let get eat. I thought well it maybe for the best since I didn't know who the one that laid the eggs. But will say that I think it's awsome I didn't go chasing for it as for as messing with the water feeding live food or what not just come in sit down and it was almost over already happened now, Would the eggs hatch in this water the ph kh etc, is it right balance for them to hatch hmmm. just don't know

p.s. THANK YOU TOO LIZ !!!