PDA

View Full Version : Hexamitia medicin - info needed.

kilnakorr
03-02-2019, 09:28 AM
Hi

I was reading up on discus sickness and meds and found my LFS had some for hexamitia (fish medicin is not legal to sell here as it requires prescription from a vet). Anyway, the active ingredient is '2-Amino-5-nitrothiazole' and instructions says to remove filter.
There are many other brands with same ingredient, most popular is 'esha hexamitia' but none of these says anything about removing filter.

Question is: does anyone have experience with this type of drug and the effect on filer bacteria?

brewmaster15
03-02-2019, 11:01 AM
Hi Casper,

Been awhile, I hope you have been well!

That chemical looks simllar to Metronidazole here, used as an antiprotozoan agent. I am no chemist though! Metro does work on a small number anaerobic bacteria as well as protozoans but generally does not harm the Biofilter. I suspect 2-Amino-5-nitrothiazole works the same but may have stronger antibiotic effects on bacteria. However, when they say remove the filter they may mean remove any carbon as that will remove most medications.

al

kilnakorr
03-02-2019, 11:26 AM
Hi Brew

Well, as all other meds they all state remove carbon, uv filter etc. But on this dpecific brand they write remove filter and put media in other water source.
I just find it strange that several other brands do not mention anything about filter or effects on bacteria.