PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Problem Tank

fahim
03-06-2019, 06:56 AM
I am Struggling with Nitrate level in main tank. Usually I do water change within 3/4 days. I did last WC day before yesterday and yesterday night, NO3 reading was 40 ppm, It is way too high. Ph-7, NH4-0, NO2- 0.
I use RO water ( Tap water more than 160 ppm). My RO water NO3 reading is 0 ppm. High NO3 level is affecting my Discus health and growth.

Note that, before purchasing RO system(2 month ago), NO3 level was more than 100 ppm for 1.5 months in my tank.

Current Issues: All of sudden move very fast; Rub body with objects; Rub Vent with object; Twitch Ventral fins quickly for a few seconds almost a vibration; Vibrate dorsal, anal and pectoral fins.

Tank details:
• Main Tank Dimension- 48*24*24- Actual 108 gallon
• Sump Tank Dimension- 33*15*17- Actual 22 gallon
• Light - 30 watt
Bog- 3 pcs

Fish
• Discus- 9 pcs
• Bristole Nose Pleco - 2 pcs
• Rummynose 22+ pcs
• Corydoras 7 pcs
• Kohli loach 3 pcs

Usually, I feed them 3 times
Food Habit- Tetra Color Granules, Aqua One Flakes, Hikari Bio gold, San Fransisco Bay freezed dried Blood Worm, Tetra Color Tropical Flakes

Second Hand Pat
03-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Hi fahim and welcome to Simply Discus. When you are referring to a "Tap water more than 160 ppm". Are you referring to TDS. If you are then there is no reason to use RO. A TDS of 160 is perfectly fine for discus. However if the "Tap water more than 160 ppm" is Nitrate then RO is a must. Either way sounds like you need to increase your water changes to get the Nitrates down. If RO is a must are you running a booster pump to increase your RO output?
Pat

brewmaster15
03-06-2019, 09:45 AM
I am Struggling with Nitrate level in main tank. Usually I do water change within 3/4 days. I did last WC day before yesterday and yesterday night, NO3 reading was 40 ppm, It is way too high. Ph-7, NH4-0, NO2- 0.
I use RO water ( Tap water more than 160 ppm). My RO water NO3 reading is 0 ppm. High NO3 level is affecting my Discus health and growth.

Note that, before purchasing RO system(2 month ago), NO3 level was more than 100 ppm for 1.5 months in my tank.

Current Issues: All of sudden move very fast; Rub body with objects; Rub Vent with object; Twitch Ventral fins quickly for a few seconds almost a vibration; Vibrate dorsal, anal and pectoral fins.

Tank details:
• Main Tank Dimension- 48*24*24- Actual 108 gallon
• Sump Tank Dimension- 33*15*17- Actual 22 gallon
• Light - 30 watt
Bog- 3 pcs

Fish
• Discus- 9 pcs
• Bristole Nose Pleco - 2 pcs
• Rummynose 22+ pcs
• Corydoras 7 pcs
• Kohli loach 3 pcs

Usually, I feed them 3 times
Food Habit- Tetra Color Granules, Aqua One Flakes, Hikari Bio gold, San Fransisco Bay freezed dried Blood Worm, Tetra Color Tropical Flakes

Hi,
That fish has a bacterial infection thats spreading along the lateral line and to other regions. Its flashing because its sides are irritated by the infection.I would suggest starting with salt dips and increasing your tank water changes. Initially when you do the salt dips you will most likely see the white bumps disappear, leaving holes... these will close up if the water is kept clean.

al

fahim
03-31-2019, 12:12 AM
Thank you Mr. Second Hand Pat & brewmaster15. Unfortunately, I haven't seen your reply. I have posted another thread, it would be helpful if you give me some advice.
The link is provided below:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?134882-Remineralize-RO-Water-by-adding-Additives-or-Mixing-other-Source-of-Water-with-RO&highlight=

fahim
04-01-2019, 06:07 AM
Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, I haven't got chance to check your reply. I have posted another thread. Please check the link and if possible please provide your valuable input

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?134882-Remineralize-RO-Water-by-adding-Additives-or-Mixing-other-Source-of-Water-with-RO&highlight=

fahim
04-01-2019, 06:09 AM
Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, I haven't got chance to check your reply. I have posted another thread. Please check the link and if possible please provide your valuable input