PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Eye Total Wipeout

Fishworks
03-27-2019, 11:56 AM
Dear Friends,

I just wanted to share that I had some Bala Sharks a few months back that came down with some Cloudy Eye. I treated with Doxycycline HCL at a dose of 100mg/15gallons for 7 days then they got better. All was well for 2 weeks, then One evening, they relapsed with the same Cloudy Eye. I planned to get some meds the next morning but the relapse was so harsh, all my fish were dead next morning :cry:

You can check out the standard dosage for Doxycycline at the Pet Medicine Company link below:
https://www.thomaslabs.com/product/fish-doxy/fish-antibiotics

The LFS i got these fish from was actually quite irresponsible. They didnt really WC regularly and when I got the fish, some had pop eye and bloat (I couldnt pass cause it was so cheap, $18 for 22 Bala Sharks). In a few months, these symptoms gradually healed with some Seachem Paraguard and regular WC. Maybe the source was the problem, meaning the poor care from the LFS caused internal damage or development of something that was incurable. I think this because the Bala Sharks shared nets and siphons with my other fish. These other fish, which were from better pet stores, did not get any eye problems.(as i know, cloudy eye can be contagious).

Maybe I should have double dosed, maybe I should have done 500mg/10 gallons, maybe I should have dosed for 10 days? Perhaps it was Fish TB, or some resistant Gram-Positive strain?

What would you have done in my place?