PDA

View Full Version : Levamisole HCL and Praziquantel Combined!

Fishworks
04-01-2019, 05:14 AM
Hey all,

Is it advisable to combine Levamisole HCL and Praziquantel when deworming?
Assuming dosing at Day 1, Day 7, Day 14 and Day 21.

Thanks,
-Harry

bluelagoon
04-01-2019, 07:40 AM
No need to.Just use Levamisole HCL.It will get all the parasites.Prazi does not work well for callamanus worms.Do not over dose either of those meds,they will not work any better.

Fishworks
04-01-2019, 07:52 AM
No need to.Just use Levamisole HCL.It will get all the parasites.Prazi does not work well for callamanus worms.Do not over dose either of those meds,they will not work any better.

Merv,

Actually, I believe Levamisole only kills roundworm.
I wanted to use Levamisole for roundworm then Prazi for Tapeworm.
Thought about using it together since I notice the interval treatments are similar (weeks apart)

Thanks Mervin!

Filip
04-01-2019, 08:30 AM
I've never read experiences of people combining those two dewormers together . Maybe because it can be to harsh on the fish , I guess ?
Try combining them at least 3 days apart to give fish time of recovery between dosings i.e. days 1-7 -14 levamisole and days 3-10- 18 praziquantel . Or just do them one treatment after another if you are in no hurry .

Fishworks
04-01-2019, 08:42 AM
I've never read experiences of people combining those two dewormers together . Maybe because it can be to harsh on the fish , I guess ?
Try combining them at least 3 days apart to give fish time of recovery between dosings i.e. days 1-7 -14 levamisole and days 3-10- 18 praziquantel . Or just do them one treatment after another if you are in no hurry .

Thanks Filip, actually I think i can just do one treatment after another and observe carefully.
but I do have a question about praziquantel :D

After dosing Prazi, should I let the medicine remain in water for 24 hours then do a 70-100% WC? or should I let it remain for 48 hours in water then do 70-100% WC?

the reason I ask is because Al has an old post about letting the medicine remain in water column for 48 hours then 10-30%WC :
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/internal/tapeworms.shtml

And in another thread, he says 24 hours of Prazi is all you need to expel the tapeworms:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archive/index.php/t-53686.html

Filip
04-01-2019, 08:46 AM
As I recall from my past readings , Praziquantel was a 48 hour treatment and Levamisole was 24 Hours .

LizStreithorst
04-01-2019, 08:50 AM
You only need to treat for tapes once. Unlike other parasites tapes require an intermediary host.

Fishworks
04-01-2019, 08:52 AM
You only need to treat for tapes once. Unlike other parasites tapes require an intermediary host.

Hey Liz,

I have copepods from my tap sometimes :(
Should I let the prazi linger in water for 48 hours before large WC?

Fishworks
04-01-2019, 09:06 AM
As I recall from my past readings , Praziquantel was a 48 hour treatment and Levamisole was 24 Hours .

found an old thread with Al talking about Levamisole and Prazi combined as a liquid vet product:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archive/index.php/t-59518.html

maybe i could find some infected fish and experiment using them together. although it might be hard to find with with tapes or roundworm..

anyhow, so for prazi its 48 hours in water then large WC, while levamisole is 24 hours in water then large WC.

Thanks, Filip

LizStreithorst
04-01-2019, 09:51 AM
I don't know about copepods but whenever I have fish under medication I do a large WC daily and replace the amount of medication I have taken out.

Fishworks
04-01-2019, 10:28 AM
I don't know about copepods but whenever I have fish under medication I do a large WC daily and replace the amount of medication I have taken out.

Thank you :)

Tuterosso
04-01-2019, 10:36 AM

in my opinion its waste of money, if you want combined medications buy morenicol lernex pro its awesome but dose 10ml/100L not 5
Prazikwatel - 16,25 mg/ml
- Nitroskanat - 3 mg/ml
- Flubendazol - 1mg/ml

Fishworks
04-01-2019, 10:45 AM
in my opinion its waste of money, if you want combined medications buy morenicol lernex pro its awesome but dose 10ml/100L not 5
Prazikwatel - 16,25 mg/ml
- Nitroskanat - 3 mg/ml
- Flubendazol - 1mg/ml

thats cool. however, i have a friend who runs a small pharmacy so i get access to affordable levamisole and prazi.
also, i plan to get some stingrays and i know that flubendazole will melt them.

thanks for the info though,
-Harry