PDA

View Full Version : Filtration

Dee1958
05-24-2019, 04:32 PM
Would it be to much to run a ac110 filter and a ac70 in a 75gal tank right now I'm just running the 110 but have a very high bio load and the 110 seems to struggle. Dee

Adam S
05-24-2019, 10:54 PM
I don't think even two 110's would be too much flow.

jmaldo
05-25-2019, 11:22 PM
I am a firm believer in the more filtration the better. Case in point I run an Eheim 2217 along with a 2215 and a sponge filter on a 55g. As far as to much flow, depends on what the inhabitants prefer. If it to much there are quite few different options to diffuse it.
In fact I just got some "Discus" and for 36 hours they stayed around the bottom of the tank 95% of the time. I know they are new and shy at first. But I decided to remove the spray bar that was outputting the length of the tank about an inch from the surface. Coincidence or not they are swimming all around the tank. Mainly towards the top and middle.
Good Luck!

Adam S
05-26-2019, 01:01 AM
It's important to differentiate flow and filtration. Best filtration (excluding sumps) for a 75 gal would probably be a 3" mat filter run at 2-6x tank volume per hour. Best flow is dependent on the type of fish and how the flow is directed (like Joe said).

Dee1958
05-26-2019, 04:27 AM
I am a firm believer in the more filtration the better. Case in point I run an Eheim 2217 along with a 2215 and a sponge filter on a 55g. As far as to much flow, depends on what the inhabitants prefer. If it to much there are quite few different options to diffuse it.
In fact I just got some "Discus" and for 36 hours they stayed around the bottom of the tank 95% of the time. I know they are new and shy at first. But I decided to remove the spray bar that was outputting the length of the tank about an inch from the surface. Coincidence or not they are swimming all around the tank. Mainly towards the top and middle.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the ideas and I see your in northeast ohio, what's your favorite lfs

Dee1958
05-26-2019, 04:29 AM
It's important to differentiate flow and filtration. Best filtration (excluding sumps) for a 75 gal would probably be a 3" mat filter run at 2-6x tank volume per hour. Best flow is dependent on the type of fish and how the flow is directed (like Joe said).

Educate me on mat filtration Thanks Dee

jmaldo
05-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the ideas and I see your in northeast ohio, what's your favorite lfs

http://somethingfishyinc.net/

Dave and the crew are "Great" very knowledgeable and helpful. Has a lot of cichilds along with other freshwater fish. They sometimes have tours of the Fish cave under the store. Unbelievable!
Just "Ask"
Here is a vid of a tour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXY0CQo0B1o