PDA

View Full Version : My Discus now seems to be velvet, but medication I want not available, PLEASE HELP !

Crystal
07-09-2019, 01:27 PM
At first I thought my Discus got ICK, I raised the temperature to 88F, and they are gone, I am so happy that I do not have to use the Super ICK Cure, I waited for 8 days, and lower the temp back to 85F, these white thing comes back again, and one of them seems to have velvet instead of ICK, as the ICK would have been all dead. I want to buy the API GENERAL CURE, but found out that Canada bans all fish medication. I was lucky even to get the 2 bottle of Super ICK Cure, as that is probably left from previous stock. They got no more, then I learn our stupid Trudeau Government ban all the medication for fish coming into Canada as of Dec. 2018. That is so stupid, but why ?? I know our PM Is a jerk and a traitor, but I did not know he is crazy to ban medication for fish as well, so our fish is left to die, if they get sick ? since all those available ones in Canada are herbal ones and just for preventive. Anybody in Canada or USA from this site know what else I can use to treat velvet ?? I put the Super ICK CURE in last night and raised back the temp. to 88F, as it said it also treat some other parasites, but did not say what kind. Does anybody know if the Super ICK CURE contain Copper Sulphate, as the internet said that velvet should be treated with Copper Sulphate. Any suggestion how to treat Velvet ? I learn that high temp. controls Velvet, but is not really a cure. :huh:

jeep
07-09-2019, 02:42 PM
I've read that Ich can be heat tolerant. First, I would raise the tamp back up to 93 for about 10 days and see if it returns. Be sure to add plenty of air to the tank.

If it returns, do you have access to formalin or formaldehyde? There is an eradication process I'll try to find on a backup that is a 4 stage process that includes methylene blue, salt dip and formalin.

Brian

LizStreithorst
07-09-2019, 03:22 PM
I think that what she has now is velvet, not ich. Velvet is bacterial and calls for treating with lower temps, 82 is perfect. The only treatment I know other than furan II is high doses of salt and HUGE WC as often as twice a day with stable water.

jeep
07-09-2019, 03:37 PM
I'm not too familiar with velvet. If what you say is correct, maybe a salt dip alone could be the solution if the other items aren't available.

LizStreithorst
07-09-2019, 03:46 PM
I knew that you would come to the rescue, Brian. I don't think that one heavy salt dip would work for this. Perhaps a dip, a day's rest then back to a medium concentration of salt. I'm just talking out of my hat. I only know Antibiotics. Everything I know about salt is what I've learned from you.

jeep
07-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Here's something Cary gave me years back. What do you think??

Eradicate external parasites, bacteria, protozoa and fungus

To get rid of external parasites, bacteria, and protazoans (gill flukes, etc.) in your tanks. I'll show how to do it with two tanks here.

1. Transfer all fish to one tank (tank may be overstocked).
2. Empty all water out of other tank.
3. Sanitize tank as follows:
- Spray inside of tank down w/ rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol)
- Boil driftwood and rubber for 20 minutes
- Soak sponges and put in microwave for 2 minutes
- Soak everything else (canister filters, plastic, air hoses, etc.) in a mix of clorox and water
4. Refill tank and run a fishless cycle on this tank. Be sure to do 90% waterchange before fish are introduced.
5. Once tank is cycle, run treatment on fish
- Set up four buckets, each at about 84 degrees and with an airstone
- The 1st bucket should have 2 tbs. per gallon of non-iodized salt. The fish should be in this bucket for 6 minutes.
- Remove fish and dip in 4th bucket with clean water
- The 2nd bucket should have methylene blue at 4 drops per gallon. The fish should be in this bucket for 15 min.
- Remove fish and dip in 4th bucket with clean water.
- The 3rd bucket should have 1 ml per gallon formaldehyde 37%. This dip will last for 15-20 min. This is very important. The fish will act normal for the first bit, then they will come up to the top of the water and gasp for air. DO NOT remove them yet, wait until they start to fall to the bottom or when the time runs out. THEY WILL LOOK LIKE THEY ARE GOING TO DIE, BUT THEY WON'T.
- Pull them out and dip them in the 4th bucket, and put them into the fresh tank. This tank should be at 84 degrees - no higher - and have 1-2 tbs. per 10 gallons of non-iodized salt. They will probably lay on the bottom on their sides for the first day or so. They won't die, don't worry. Don't feed for the first day or so, wait until they are swimming around.
6. Break down and sterilize the tank they came out of
7. Run a fishless cycle on this tank
8. After it's cycled and the 90% waterchange is done, you can move the fish you want back into the other tank.

This will eliminate the external bacteria/parasites/protazoans and clean your fish. This is the most assured and complete method to do so.

LizStreithorst
07-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Here's something Cary gave me years back. What do you think??

Eradicate external parasites, bacteria, protozoa and fungus

To get rid of external parasites, bacteria, and protazoans (gill flukes, etc.) in your tanks. I'll show how to do it with two tanks here.

1. Transfer all fish to one tank (tank may be overstocked).
2. Empty all water out of other tank.
3. Sanitize tank as follows:
- Spray inside of tank down w/ rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol)
- Boil driftwood and rubber for 20 minutes
- Soak sponges and put in microwave for 2 minutes
- Soak everything else (canister filters, plastic, air hoses, etc.) in a mix of clorox and water
4. Refill tank and run a fishless cycle on this tank. Be sure to do 90% waterchange before fish are introduced.
5. Once tank is cycle, run treatment on fish
- Set up four buckets, each at about 84 degrees and with an airstone
- The 1st bucket should have 2 tbs. per gallon of non-iodized salt. The fish should be in this bucket for 6 minutes.
- Remove fish and dip in 4th bucket with clean water
- The 2nd bucket should have methylene blue at 4 drops per gallon. The fish should be in this bucket for 15 min.
- Remove fish and dip in 4th bucket with clean water.
- The 3rd bucket should have 1 ml per gallon formaldehyde 37%. This dip will last for 15-20 min. This is very important. The fish will act normal for the first bit, then they will come up to the top of the water and gasp for air. DO NOT remove them yet, wait until they start to fall to the bottom or when the time runs out. THEY WILL LOOK LIKE THEY ARE GOING TO DIE, BUT THEY WON'T.
- Pull them out and dip them in the 4th bucket, and put them into the fresh tank. This tank should be at 84 degrees - no higher - and have 1-2 tbs. per 10 gallons of non-iodized salt. They will probably lay on the bottom on their sides for the first day or so. They won't die, don't worry. Don't feed for the first day or so, wait until they are swimming around.
6. Break down and sterilize the tank they came out of
7. Run a fishless cycle on this tank
8. After it's cycled and the 90% waterchange is done, you can move the fish you want back into the other tank.

This will eliminate the external bacteria/parasites/protazoans and clean your fish. This is the most assured and complete method to do so.

It would scare me to death to do that and the time it would take to cycle the main tank! But Cary is excellent. If he said that it will work it will.

bluelagoon
07-10-2019, 11:21 AM
You can buy this in Canada.https://www.bigalspets.com/ca/seachem-cupramine.html

bluelagoon
07-11-2019, 02:10 PM
I stocked up on large jars of antibiotics for that reason, but they only have a self life anyways even in the fridge. You can still buy other treatments just nothing with antibiotics. Too much ending up in the environment. We all have to start somewhere for the future of us all, I guess. The General Cure would be no good for velvet. You can still get the prazi part of the mix, but no more metronidazole sold in Canada without a vet prescription and that is very costly. I'm not sure what one would use if they come down with Hex.

Crystal
07-13-2019, 10:29 AM
Thank you Mervin, as I said all most medication are ban by our stupid Canada government, so when I clicked on it, it said it is unavailable :(

bluelagoon
07-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Yes, I have just read that they are thinking about banning all medication for fish. Try Here; it took me to check out and said shipping in Canada. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Seachem-Cupramine-50ml-Copper-Treatment-for-External-Parasites/333240997217?hash=item4d96b61561:g:6WUAAOSwA~VaHwJ i

bluelagoon
07-13-2019, 11:18 AM
I would give the Ich Cure a try. MG and formalin is also a treatment for velvet.

Crystal
07-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Hi guy, thank you for all the advise, but now I am totally confused, the API super ICK cure instructions is 5 ml per 5 gallon, after 48 hours, treat it again and do 25% water change. I cannot follow the instruction, the tank will be so dirty with fish waste for a total of 96 hours. So after 48 hours, I scrub all sides of the tank and bottom, and doo a 50% water change, and add the medication again, the next day, it still have these white things that seems to eat into his skin, so instead of waiting for another 48 hours, I add some more. Now those stuff on the skin seems to be gone, but my Red Melon mouth is red and got one distinct red streak on the side of the mouth, and there is some white fuzzy stuff attached by a thin thread on one eyelid. Today, HIS EYES STARTED TURNING PARTLY CLOUDY AS WELL and the little yellow one the skin where the two fins come out is also red. I do not know if I over medicated the tank, or it is probably something else again which I do not know what it is, FUNGUS ? PARASITES ? OR BACTERIA But I know for sure it is NO LONGER ICK anymore as my 20 gallon tank, the pair with ICK has fully recovered after treating with API super ICK plus and raised temperature to 88F. This 35 gallons tank is the one which still got problem. I only got 3 fish in a 35 gallon tank. I am now putting in charcoal to remove the API Super ICK medication, as I checked every fish place and finally find one place got the KORDON RID ICH PLUS Which got less toxic chloride salt of malachite green and Formalin, it supposed to treat disease caused by external protozoan (single cell) parasites such as white spot disease, Ichthyophthiriasis, Costia, Trichodina, Chilodonella and saltwater external parasites such as Cryptocaryon and Amyloodinium . The medication can also treat fungal infections in fishes. Can somebody tells me what cause the mouth to turn red and the eyes is cloudy ? I do not have an extra tank that I can quarantine the Red one, but I probably won't as one of the yellow one also got red where the two fins is attached to. I felt so sorry for the Red one as at first she got nothing on her. It all started with one of the yellow ones got two dots of white on the tail. What am I going to to, I just hope this KORDON RID ICH PLUS which treat other parasites and fungus will work after the charcoal remove the other medication :( PLEASE KINDLY ADVISE !

Second Hand Pat
07-13-2019, 12:11 PM
Hi Crystal, I have no idea what is happening with your fish. However if I was in your situation I would start with doing a 100% water change and reassess. Also if the water is getting that gross then quit feeding the fish. Nasty water conditions does not help the situation. It also sounds like there could be an overdose issue. Brian and I are both searching about looking for a better solution. Can you please post some pics of the fish. Be sure the pics are less then 2MBs.
Pat

jeep
07-13-2019, 12:16 PM
Hi Crystal, Sorry but I'm not familiar with the use of this med.

Here's a link with instructions and and details https://goldfisho.com/api-super-ick-cure-review/

I've searched the web and have seen many mixed reviews, some good and some very bad.

I'd really like to see a photo and/or a video of the fish affected...

Crystal
07-13-2019, 04:39 PM
I do water change almost everyday, and the water is crystal clear, just now in order to get rid of the API super ICK cure, I change 50% water change and put in activated carbon to remove the (may be excess medication of the API super ick cure). Perhaps I should not have put the medication earlier than the next 48 hours, but as I said those stuff on her body is gone, now what remains it still one little fuzzy thing on her top dorsal fin like before, but her mouth is still red with red streak, somehow, after I do the water change and put in the activated carbon, one of the yellow one red part where the fin attached to is fading. I only add more medication before the third 48 hours is because I saw many people said the API instruction is crap, as one dose of medication followed by another dose of medication 48 hours later is not going to make the ICK or whatever goes away, as there might still be parasites inside the body. Now I am not going to put nothing until the other medication is clear completely. I now have on hand the API melafix which supposed to treat bacteria infections, repairs damaged fins, ulcer & open red sores. open body wounds and EYE CLOUD and Mouth fungus. Then as I said I have the other KORDON RID ICK PLUS which also treat fungus, but I just do not know which one to use. Here is the picture of the Red Melon. I can only get the mouth part, the small white thing on the dorsal fin does not show up that well at all, I have to use the magnifying glass to look at it. I just find out I can only attached one picture, so I will send more pics on another reply124316

Crystal
07-13-2019, 04:42 PM
I do water change almost everyday, and the water is crystal clear, just now in order to get rid of the API super ICK cure, I change 50% water change and put in activated carbon to remove the (may be excess medication of the API super ick cure). Perhaps I should not have put the medication earlier than the next 48 hours, but as I said those stuff on her body is gone, now what remains it still one little fuzzy thing on her top dorsal fin like before, but her mouth is still red with red streak, somehow, after I do the water change and put in the activated carbon, one of the yellow one red part where the fin attached to is fading. I only add more medication before the third 48 hours is because I saw many people said the API instruction is crap, as one dose of medication followed by another dose of medication 48 hours later is not going to make the ICK or whatever goes away, as there might still be parasites inside the body. Now I am not going to put nothing until the other medication is clear completely. I now have on hand the API melafix which supposed to treat bacteria infections, repairs damaged fins, ulcer & open red sores. open body wounds and EYE CLOUD and Mouth fungus. Then as I said I have the other KORDON RID ICK PLUS which also treat fungus, but I just do not know which one to use. Here is the picture of the Red Melon. I can only get the mouth part, the small white thing on the dorsal fin does not show up that well at all, I have to use the magnifying glass to look at it. I just find out can attached more than one picture, just have to upload it first, so here it is124317124318

LizStreithorst
07-13-2019, 04:42 PM
From this pic I can see nothing medically wrong with this fish. Please post a pic in the area you see the velvet.

Crystal
07-13-2019, 07:45 PM
Those patches that looks like velvet (golden brown dust) seems to be gone, I turned the heat up to 89F and leave it on high, without turning on the light, that is what the internet said to do if they got velvet, but it said like ICK it got the same cycle, but unlike the ICK, the velvet can use its chloroplasts during dormancy to survive, that is why I have to turn the light off and leave the high temperature on for at least 12 days. But now I do not know if I put the API Super ICK Cure earlier than 48 hours since after the second dose, it still have all these stuff and some white thing clinging on her side, I put in the medication again without waiting for another 48 hours. (The instruction is to put only 2 doses 48 hrs apart and that is it), since he still got all those stuff, I put in the medicalion again on the 5th day which is 24 hours after the initial 2 doses of 48 hrs. apart, now those things seems to disappear but his mouth got all these red streak, and he eat much less than usual because I think his mouth is sore. He still got a white thing on his dorsal fin, but can hardly see it unless I use the magnifying glass. He also got cloudy eyes, might not show that much on the pics, but he does have it, usually his eyes is bright and big.

bluelagoon
07-14-2019, 10:32 AM
They isn't much difference from one ich cure from the other. Both use some sort of formaldehyde (formalin) and MG. The less toxic one says less chloride; I think just a sales gimmick. They both should work.