PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Indonesian Beef Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce

discuspaul
09-18-2019, 03:33 PM
Authentic Indonesian Beef Satay and It's Spicy Peanut Sauce

Here's an excellent recipe some of you may like to try -

Just so you know, I got this recipe from the chef of the Tanglin Club in Singapore sometime in early 1977 after bugging him for several weeks to get it. I had to modify it a wee bit when we got back to Canada because I'd jotted everything down so quickly I couldn't totally read some of my own handwriting.

Of all my time in south-east Asia enjoying all the exotic foods I had there, I have to say this satay was the highlight of everything new that I tasted, and my most favorite dish of them all.
My family & I spent many a Saturday or Sunday afternoon sitting around the club's pool having a superb brunch, lunch or early dinner of beef satay - we ( my then wife and I, and our young son & daughter) couldn't get enough of it.
The kids loved it !

You have to try this - have it anytime with a group of family & friends while you happily grill, and everyone will love you for it - the taste is definitely something you won't forget about, I can assure you !

Here it is:

( A large enough recipe to feed anywhere from 4 or 5, up to 8-10 persons depending on the hunger levels).

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 to 2 lbs. of beef steak (in Singapore I believe they usually used flank, skirt, or chuck steak, but now I prefer to use strip loin, or sirloin), cut into strips approx. 3"-4" long x 1" or so wide X 1/8" - 1/4" thick - got it?

Mix well together the following in a large casserole baking dish, to which you will later add the meat slivers mixed in, and marinate covered in fridge for a minimum of 4 to 8 hours, but preferably overnite for at least 12 hours, occasionally stirring to mix.

- 3/4 cup of peanut oil or canola oil

-1/2 cup of tamari sauce (japanese soy sauce, thicker & less salty than chinese soy sauce- or alternatively, ketjap manis sauce )

- Juice of 1 lime and it's zest

- 2 T's (Tbspns) of fish sauce - any brand

- 3-4 finely diced garlic cloves

- 1 medium finely diced shallot

- 2 stalks of fresh lemon grass - white bottom parts only, bruised a bit with the handle of a large kitchen knife, and finely chopped

- 1 - 2"piece of fresh galangal root, peeled & finely chopped ( or equivalent in dried / powdered galangal).

(If this is not available at an asian market near you, substitute with fresh ginger root)

- 1 T of brown sugar

- 1 tspn. each of:

- curry powder
- cumin
- turmeric
- coriander -
- cayenne

For Skewering & grilling you'll need approx. 12-20 longish bamboo skewers soaked in water for at least 1/2 hour beforehand.
The beef slivers should be loosely skewered in a ribbon - S-shaped manner to expose as much meat as possible to the well heated bbq grates, and grilled for 3-4 minutes each side until fairly well seared.

SPICY PEANUT SAUCE

Serve kebabs immediately after grilling with this spicy peanut sauce for dipping:

Mix well together in a suitably-sized saucepan the following:

- 1/3 - 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (natural unsalted if available)

- 1/3 cup coconut milk

- 1 T lime juice

- 1 T fish sauce

- 1 T canola or peanut oil

- 1 tspn. of sriracha (chili-garlic sauce)

- 1/2 tspn. of sesame oil

- 1/4 cup finely diced shallot

- 1 tspn. finely minced garlic

- 1 tspn. minced fresh ginger root

- 1 tspn. finely chopped lemon grass

- 1 tspn. brown sugar

- Add some water if need be to get a suitable consistency. (Or more peanut butter if it's a bit too thin/runny)

Bring to a boil, lower heat & simmer for about 5 minutes, then cool for dipping the satay.