PDA

View Full Version : Is this a mercury discus?

Laurali
10-02-2019, 04:01 PM
She was sold to me as a albino blue diamond? Never been sure that’s what she is! Her mate is the red melon he’s a big boy!

RogueDiscus
10-02-2019, 04:27 PM
Hi Laura and welcome to SimplyDiscus!
The red eye suggests it is an albino, and the solid/barless coloration might come from a BD. If I recall correctly, Mercury was the name give to a blue diamond/white butterfly(pigeon blood) cross, that produces a solid whitish pigeon blood with bluish tints, and a dirty looking or dusting of peppering across the body. It was used in breeding as an intermediate strain towards I think a cleaner pigeon blood variety. Others may have better ideas.
Steve

danotaylor
10-02-2019, 05:06 PM
+1 with Steve. No reason to believe she isn't an ABD.

Mando
10-02-2019, 07:24 PM
I thought for Albanism in fish, the pupil is reflective/red when taking a photo.

RogueDiscus
10-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Well yes, I think you're right. A red eye rim is not indicative of albinism. It's actually what most folks are looking for these days in may strains. So possibly yes, it should be the pupil reflecting red if albino. But from that pic I wouldn't rule out that it was red.

peewee1
10-02-2019, 08:28 PM
The fish does not look like a Mercury. Every month Kenny sells them. Maybe visit his link for a comparison photo.

LizStreithorst
10-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Coming to this thread late, sorry No way that fish is an albino. I't a non albino PB. I'm not up on the most recent types but I think it could be considered to be a Mercury. If you breed this fish to the BD you will get peppered offspring.

LizStreithorst
10-03-2019, 08:16 PM
LOL, I cannot tell a lie...Something told to me to clean my monitor. The fish is most certainly an albino. I sure do like the pinkish tint it has to it. If the pair wants to breed, let 'em go for it. I hope I'm not wrong this time.

Laurali
10-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Thank y’all for all the replies it really helps!

Mando
10-06-2019, 12:51 AM
You might find your answer here. The albino BD in that post looks similar to yours.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/common-discus-strains-abbreviations-updated-added-albinos-and-strain-photos.31336/page-2