PDA

View Full Version : Worms in my shrimp tank

RogueDiscus
01-12-2020, 07:02 PM
I moved my cherry shrimp to a 20 gal about a month ago. I admit it hasn't gotten the cleaning attention I give to my fish tanks. I see an outbreak of 1/4 inch white worms, larger head, moving in undulating motion, not inch worm movI. Planaria? i've been feeding the shrimp green beans and a bit of everything else I give the fish. The tank has my assassin snails too, so I throw in some FDBW fines occasionally to feed them. Anyway, admittedly needing a cleaning. Do I need to kill off the worms somehow (which is maybe hard to do with shrimp?) or will they go away with more cleaning?

If the description sounds like somethng else, let me know. I don't know if I can get a worthwhile pic.
Thanks.
Steve

LizStreithorst
01-13-2020, 09:34 AM
do wipe down and change more water.

seanyuki
01-15-2020, 10:51 PM
Planarian has a pointed head....just sharing.... The secret ingredient? Fenbendazole. It will eradicate a planaria infestation in just a few days. It’s like a planaria nuke!
Follow these steps to get rid of your planaria problem for good:
1. Buy your Panacur C. Panacur C comes in different sizes. I personally recommend buying the packet that has 3 x 1g bags (this one), as it will make measuring easier – a little goes a looooong way.
2. Remove your chemical filtration Your carbon filter or purigen can remove the Fenbendazole from the water before it has a chance to work its magic – remove it and replace it after treatment is finished.
Oh, and be sure to remove any snails you want to keep. Fenbendazole can be lethal to those too! Malaysian trumpets and Nerite snails, in particular, seem to be affected.
3. Measure out your Panacur The dosage is 0.1 gram for every 10 gallons. So a 60 gallon tank would need 0.6 grams of Panacur C. A gram scale will make measuring incredibly easy – I use this in fish keeping all the time to measure out doses. Sprinkle this powder into your tank.
If you don’t have a gram scale on hand, here is an alternate method: Dilute the whole 1 gram packed in 500 ml of RO/DI water. You then dose 50 ml for every 10 gallons of water your tank holds. So a 60 gallon aquarium would be dosed with 300 ml.

https://fishlab.com/planaria/

Chicago Discus
01-16-2020, 12:44 PM
I found a product that was made specifically for killing planaria in a cherry shrimp tank. I tried the product in Josie's shrimp tank and it took care of the planaria infestation without harming the shrimp. It's called Planaria Zero made by Beni Bachi. I had excellent results with it and recommend it for this purpose.