PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else keep freshwater shrimp?

LizStreithorst
07-24-2020, 09:09 PM
A few friends and I on another forum have gotten on a shrimp bender. I already have red and blue neo's and I'll have yellows on the way Monday. They're fun, but take my advice and buy from a US breeder.

danotaylor
07-25-2020, 02:29 AM
I don't have any shrimp atm Liz, but back in Australia I had 2 10gal planted tanks with shrimp sand (pH adjusting), 1 tank with crystal black shrimp, and the other w crystal red's. They're def sensitive to pH swings...a little like discus, lol, but lots of fun to keep when they settle in an begin to reproduce! Once we move into our new place I'd like to get a shrimp tank again :thumbsup:

LizStreithorst
07-25-2020, 07:34 AM
I adore the crystal reds but when I looked into their temp and pH requirements I decided they wouldn't work for me.

Iminit
07-25-2020, 10:05 AM
Hi Liz! I’ve been keeping shrimp for about 2 years now. Red blue and orange. Was using the culled shrimp as food for my discus. I now have a colony growing in the discus tank. During water changes I usually find 20+ in the waste water. Unfortunately it really adds time to water changes :rolleyes2: I also haven’t tried the crystal shrimp. At one time I had 3 tanks worth of shrimp. Added some Pygmy Cory’s to one tank and they pretty much wiped it out. Didn’t see that coming.
They were fun at first but I guess with the discus things changed.

LizStreithorst
07-25-2020, 10:37 AM
I tried to feed mine to the Discus and for the longest time the Discus ignored them and they started breeding. One day for no apparent reason the Discus developed a taste for them and no more shrimp on the Discus tank.

Iminit
07-25-2020, 12:10 PM
Mine do eat them. But my shrimp have adapted. I mean they change colors. I started with reds and blue culls in there. I have found blacks brown and many clear and green. I once caught a solid black one and moved it into my regular shrim tank and it turned the color of my gravel over night. They seem to change color to survive. Just my observations :).

dornblaser
07-25-2020, 12:55 PM
I have shrimp in all of my tanks, bloody marys and amano. Only the largest amanos survive in the discus and GBR tanks, the culled bloody marys end being snacks. I watched a mature male GBR eat a culled bm this week that I thought was too big for him. I am thinking of adding a blue morph to a tank that does not have other Neocaridina shrimp in it.

LizStreithorst
07-25-2020, 01:41 PM
I've never had a color morph. Cool! Will you be buying more blues to go along with it.

Discluv
07-25-2020, 03:24 PM
I have several varieties of neocaradina: Golden-back yellow shrimp, Emerald Green, and Wild-type.
In caradina shrimp I have: c. babaulti 'zebra,' PRL's in Red and Black, and OE Tigers in Red and Blue.

LizStreithorst
07-25-2020, 03:54 PM
Emerald Greens are the next strain I'll jump into. They are pretty dang cool looking. Where did you get yours? Do you have them for sale?

Discluv
07-25-2020, 06:53 PM
I just got them about a month ago. I have some berried, but it will be a few weeks until have shrimp-lets. Probably 5 weeks total until ready to ship. I can send you some after that. Ive shipped shrimp many times.
These green shrimp are high-grade- so dark they are almost black. Im hoping offspring is just a little bit lighter.
I bought them from a seller on Aquabid. Ill need to check on the name- I forget.

Edit: Actually, looking back it was a seller on EBAY. This was the ad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-1-High-Grade-Green-Jade-Shrimps-Aquarium-Shrimp-Neocaridina-Shrimpy-Business-/293195882501

LizStreithorst
07-25-2020, 07:06 PM
Man, that's a lot for 10+ shrimp. Do you feel you got what you were paying for? If they are almost black, I wonder if you were somewhat surprised.

Discluv
07-25-2020, 07:29 PM
No, I dont feel they were too expensive given the quality.

LizStreithorst
07-25-2020, 07:43 PM
More than I would spend, but if you're happy with them that's what counts. I prefer the lighter colored myself, even if they are of lesser quality. I like a dark lime green even if it is the wrong thing to like.

It's a strange thing with me...I feel that I have good taste. But on the other hand I believe that taste is a matter of taste. In this case the latter is my "get out of jail" card.

Iminit
07-26-2020, 03:19 PM
No Liz I think shrimp have run their course for me. I haven’t bought any new in probably a year now. Still have a few hundred in the 2 tanks and who knows how many in the discus tank. To me they are like my mts snails they serve a purpose their great cleaners. I haven’t even culled in months.

LizStreithorst
07-26-2020, 03:27 PM
Tomorrow my yellow's and rili reds will be shipped. I got their tanks ready for them today.

LizStreithorst
07-27-2020, 09:25 PM
Mine do eat them. But my shrimp have adapted. I mean they change colors. I started with reds and blue culls in there. I have found blacks brown and many clear and green. I once caught a solid black one and moved it into my regular shrim tank and it turned the color of my gravel over night. They seem to change color to survive. Just my observations :).

If you mix a variety of neocardia colors in breeding the offspring will revert to the wild type. With the "camouflage" I'm not surprised that they are able to hide from the predators better. Natural selection in motion.

LizStreithorst
07-29-2020, 03:38 PM
No Liz I think shrimp have run their course for me. I haven’t bought any new in probably a year now. Still have a few hundred in the 2 tanks and who knows how many in the discus tank. To me they are like my mts snails they serve a purpose their great cleaners. I haven’t even culled in months.

I read that if you mix different colors they will eventually turn back to the wild type browns. The colors are all accomplished by selective breeding. It's somewhat amazing to me that there are color morphs so prevalent in these neo's.

Iminit
07-29-2020, 07:29 PM
Yes even if not mixing you do still end up with browns. Those you cull. Than you cull the less red till you end up with shrimp with red legs. Best quality are all the same color including there legs. Here’s one of my reds surveying the discus tank.128502

seanyuki
07-31-2020, 08:56 AM
just sharing.... RARE and EXOTIC shrimp!

https://youtu.be/LlaPdyqafo4

danotaylor
08-02-2020, 12:53 AM
Those shrimp colors are amazing! Crazy cool patterns as well. I wonder how true they reproduce their same kind?
When I lived in Australia the BKK, Black King Kong shrimp, was $600aud for 1 when they were first made available. Yikes!

dornblaser
08-03-2020, 11:41 AM
We had a very blue shrimp from the Bloody Mary tank once.

FischAutoTechGarten
12-21-2020, 08:20 PM
I've always kept Amanos Shrimp. They are easy and do their job.

I just started keeping the NEOs... 12 in total to my four display tanks that are on a common sump: 3 dark blue in one 20L, 3 orange in one 20L, 3 Red Rilis in one 20L, and 3 peppermint in the last 20L. That was a week ago. Today, I can find 1 red rili in it's tank, 3 dark blue in the filter sock, 1 peppermint in the filter sock and 1 dried up on the floor (a jumper). The oranges are no where to be found.. Even though they are nice to look at.... I'm thinking of leaving in the sump so that they can put on some size feeding on the mulm...then when they are bigger, re-intoduce them to the display tanks.

dornblaser
12-21-2020, 09:04 PM
I see a few yellows and blues around my tanks but mostly Blood Mary's and Amano's. I have two tanks where the reds are breeding well and I am getting tired of seeing Amano's sticking out of the mouths of some of my fish. Last week some of the discus were tearing apart a big Amano and in the ram tank there was an Amano sticking out of the mouth of one of the GBR's and a few inches away there was another Amano in the mouth of another GBR. I am going to stick with shrimp that I breed myself.

Iminit
12-21-2020, 10:52 PM
Yeah they do get eaten. Still find a few when doing water changes but dont see as many as I used too. Moved away from the shrimp tank and made a mistake. I added Pygmy Cory’s to the tank. Thought they wouldn’t eat them. I was wrong. They ate all shrimplets. Had over 200 shrimp in that tank. Probably have 50 now. But I’m starting over. What were bright red are now a mix of reds and browns. But they’re breeding again and hopefully in a month I’ll be adding some new browns to the discus tank. They do a great job on algae.
Peter that’s a great idea. Adding to sump. Do you have a light on your sump. I’m running a wet/dry and may try your idea.

pablos
12-30-2020, 07:09 AM
My red cherry shrimps are leaving everywhere: in the tank, in sump, in socks, between K1 media, on sponges, name it ...

pablos
12-30-2020, 07:12 AM
I see a few yellows and blues around my tanks but mostly Blood Mary's and Amano's. I have two tanks where the reds are breeding well and I am getting tired of seeing Amano's sticking out of the mouths of some of my fish. Last week some of the discus were tearing apart a big Amano and in the ram tank there was an Amano sticking out of the mouth of one of the GBR's and a few inches away there was another Amano in the mouth of another GBR. I am going to stick with shrimp that I breed myself.

You can still breed amano, for sure its more work than RCS, but I would say it’s easier than breeding discus :)

LizStreithorst
12-30-2020, 08:38 AM
Pablos, do you have any Bloody Mary's for sale? Mine quit breeding for some reason I don't understand. I think after so many generations without the addition of new blood, they became less and less fertile. I only have a handful left now.

Iminit
12-30-2020, 10:07 AM
Liz you could try raising the temp. When mine were in the 80s they bred like crazy. Get them breeding again than lower the temp back to normal.
Pablo do you keep a light on your sump?
My shrimp have come back strong just yesterday I added 10 browns to the discus tank. Still many more browns in the 15 and the 5 with the Pygmy corys has hundreds of shrimplets in it now.

LizStreithorst
12-30-2020, 10:18 AM
It's not that, Tom. I just checked the temp. It is 80.

pablos
12-30-2020, 10:35 AM
My temperature is 85F and no light in a sump. I added small planlets from Java fern in the in-take part and some sponge, so they would have something to eat.

Liz I can give you several dozen of them whenever you want to visit UAE... the weather is perfect now :)

LizStreithorst
12-30-2020, 10:43 AM
OOPS! I don't believe a visit is in my foreseeable future:o