PDA

View Full Version : Forum server migration Coming

brewmaster15
04-06-2021, 06:08 PM
Hello all,
Been a while.Hope all is well with everyone.

I am in the middle of migrating the forum's server to a new dedicated server. The server has been bought and its been set up already, once I am through testing it out...it will go live.

Our current server is at end of life and needs to be retired.

You should not experience any problems but if you do please post them here. You never know what will happen when moving as much information as we have stored here at SimplyDiscus.

This will be the first upgrade for the forum in awhile. Once accomplished the team will be working on a major software change..Thats the goal at this point at least, time and funds allowing.

Stay well,
Al

Shan_Evolved
04-07-2021, 07:20 AM
Very nice Al. Good luck and hope everything goes smoothly

LizStreithorst
04-07-2021, 11:10 AM
As you know I know little to nothing about this stuff. Will this migration give us new photo software? Sure would be nice.

FischAutoTechGarten
04-07-2021, 11:56 AM
That's great news Al. Good to hear from you again as well! FWIW, I was surprised by the positive changes over at PlantedTank.net when they migrated their software.... picture management became so much easier and forum participation definitely increased...

pablos
04-07-2021, 12:30 PM
is it rehosting only, or you are planning to move it out of vBulletin ?

Second Hand Pat
04-08-2021, 08:18 AM
Hope the migration goes well Al.

For anyone reading this you move the existing software to the new server before making any changes. Once things are stable then you can start making changes.

Pat

brewmaster15
04-14-2021, 05:42 AM
Our migration to a new server was completed this morning. Please let us know in this thread if there are glitches.

We will be working on other necessary upgrades to the forum in the upcoming months as part of our commitment to this community.

Please consider supporting it through the donation link.. click..

DONATE HERE (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/misc.php?do=donate).

Thank you,
AL

brewmaster15
04-14-2021, 06:23 AM
Looks like we have a minor glitch to fix. ... image uploads. You can insert images using the button.. but cannot upload the images through the management function (under "go advanced") I will get that sorted out shortly,

al

brewmaster15
04-14-2021, 06:58 AM
Issue looks resolved.. please try uploading images here....http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?138082-server-test-images

thanks,
Al

AquaticNerd
04-14-2021, 07:56 AM
Al,

I can't begin to tell you how valuable this community is to myself and everyone else. I know how tough it's been the last 6 months for you - yet you still take time out to dedicate to this community. If you ever need any tech help - please feel free to reach out and I'd be happy to volunteer my time. I'm a dedicated part of several tech communities as well, so if there's anything you need help with regarding physical tech such as computers and servers or "soft" tech such as OS support, potential malware issues, etc I will be a PM away.

I'll be donating to help offset some of the costs (as I'm sure there were plenty) soon!

brewmaster15
04-14-2021, 09:07 AM
Al,

I can't begin to tell you how valuable this community is to myself and everyone else. I know how tough it's been the last 6 months for you - yet you still take time out to dedicate to this community. If you ever need any tech help - please feel free to reach out and I'd be happy to volunteer my time. I'm a dedicated part of several tech communities as well, so if there's anything you need help with regarding physical tech such as computers and servers or "soft" tech such as OS support, potential malware issues, etc I will be a PM away.

I'll be donating to help offset some of the costs (as I'm sure there were plenty) soon!

That is awesome! and much appreciated... I will definitely be in touch!
al

pastry
04-15-2021, 09:58 PM
That is awesome! and much appreciated... I will definitely be in touch!
al

God I love this forum... and as stated once or twice in the past, this is the only Forum on any technology I do (and I'm not 90... but I'm not an addicted social media 41 year old or 9 year old like my wife & oldest son are/were who have recently begun professional counseling due to how bad it became... and I'm a little more tech savvy than I ALWAYS describe I am - yet by no means a SWguru...).

I DO love how this forum has gotten less hostile (by far) than about 8-9 years ago (yet still has those who don't hesitate to immediately provide needed face slaps for any bad "good idea trains" in order to maintain quality!). But I honestly believe the U.S. discus market has noticeably shrunk (even before losing Kenny's amazing soul). I love our non-U.S. discus brethren on here but I'm a firm believer (and hate tooting own horn... but experienced business capture manager in different industry with even two $1B+ captures that somehow my dumb... yet persistent... a$$ accomplished) that Simplydiscus is a ("the") high quality communications channel for U.S. discus market that by simply (no pun intended... yes, I had a few glasses of wine again) can grow the U.S. discus market (in-turn, improving the markets of many Asian, specific European, and now possibly the Australian markets of which are arguably ahead well of U.S. in terms of quality, size, etc) by all members sharing even more information (ESPECIALLY lessons learned... aka: "failures). I love having a guilty pleasure in a small, niche market but it's gotten TOO small the past 5 or so years. Share your info, help if you have skills in SW that you can share with Al & our awesome mods if it's easy to do over a glass of wine or fireball shot, and then watch how the discus market will even grow knowledge and traction in a short amount of time (1-3 years with little effort from even 25% of registered SD members my minimal assumption... and ask me for metrics and I'll be happy to nerd out and share :P).

THANKS AL! And everyone else for making this form great. And yes, this wouldn't be my first or last post where many are tempted to reply that I need to cut myself off :P. I just wish more of you would post while slightly buzzed ... makes it more entertaining the next day when you like to see what the accurate and slap yourself in the face while laughing at the same time.

brewmaster15
04-15-2021, 11:07 PM
Elliot please do save a bottle or two or three of red for when I eventually stop by there once this pandemic is over. I would greatly appreciate a face to face chat over some vino my friend.:)

al

pastry
04-16-2021, 07:14 PM
Al, you know darn well I'd love that :)

I'll have several bottles of merlot and cab on-hand (and yes, since I'm a honorary, transplanted redneck... I'll have some fireball as well ;) )

Winnie's Discus
04-27-2021, 01:13 PM
Hello all,
Been a while.Hope all is well with everyone.

I am in the middle of migrating the forum's server to a new dedicated server. The server has been bought and its been set up already, once I am through testing it out...it will go live.

Our current server is at end of life and needs to be retired.

You should not experience any problems but if you do please post them here. You never know what will happen when moving as much information as we have stored here at SimplyDiscus.

This will be the first upgrade for the forum in awhile. Once accomplished the team will be working on a major software change..Thats the goal at this point at least, time and funds allowing.

Stay well,
Al

Server migration is a lot of work Al, thank you for always keeping the Forum in great shape. If there is a way I can help, don't hesitate to ask please.
In the mean time, I'd like to inform you that I could not insert an image or image link to the new thread I wanted to post this morning. I tried to insert the screenshot of the problem here but the Forum is not allowing me to on this thread as well. For both attempts, I get a message says "You don't have the permission to perform this action. Refresh the page and log in before trying again." Did it several times but it didn't help. Just wanted to let you know. I already shared the screenshot and the problem with Pat. I hope it is a temporary and easy to fix trouble.

Winnie's Discus
04-27-2021, 10:03 PM
Server migration is a lot of work Al, thank you for always keeping the Forum in great shape. If there is a way I can help, don't hesitate to ask please.
In the mean time, I'd like to inform you that I could not insert an image or image link to the new thread I wanted to post this morning. I tried to insert the screenshot of the problem here but the Forum is not allowing me to on this thread as well. For both attempts, I get a message says "You don't have the permission to perform this action. Refresh the page and log in before trying again." Did it several times but it didn't help. Just wanted to let you know. I already shared the screenshot and the problem with Pat. I hope it is a temporary and easy to fix trouble.

It WAS a problem on my end. Problem solved, thanks to Pat and Al.