PDA

View Full Version : Length vs width vs height

mleibowi
02-16-2022, 01:29 PM
Ok, I have the discus virus. I’m infected and want to upgrade my tank. I have a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft 120 gallon tank with corner overflows. I’m now sold on sumps as well. I love the depth of the tank but would like more length (insert crude joke). Do others out there have a 4ft tank and are happy with it? I was thinking of maybe getting a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank? I’d love to hear peoples thoughts.
Thanks!

CliffsDiscus
02-16-2022, 05:32 PM
I like the depth, easy to maintain and keeps my sleeves nice and dry. Discus are mid to bottom fish and really don't need that much height.

Cliff

Willie
02-16-2022, 06:01 PM
In my experience, discus tanks can get too big. Cleaning and changing water in a tank larger than 75 gallon tank is significantly more difficult. Not cleaning and changing water will produce unhappy discus. A local hobbyist has discus in a 300 gallon tank, which is completely not manageable.

mleibowi
02-16-2022, 09:24 PM
Thanks both- so my 120 gal is probably just fine.

captainandy
02-17-2022, 08:21 AM
I'm going to agree with CliffsDiscus and his comment about height. And I don't disagree with Willie, large tanks ARE easier to maintain, sort of. However, the greater the volume the less often water needs to be changed, assuming you aren't maximizing occupancy.

In my experience, the larger the tank the better. Length is more important than either vertical or horizontal depth, vertical depth being the least important of the three dimensions. I would never keep discus in a tank shorter than 6 feet. Discus will never exhibit natural behavior in a 4 foot tank. Personally, I believe a standard 125 is the minimum size suitable for discus.

Where did you get this information about tank length and "natural behavior". In fact, how do you characterize "natural behavior" compared to behavior in a shorter tank

Iminit
02-17-2022, 10:23 AM
Well if they were bred in a breeding tank and grew up in a grow out tank what is natural?? A 4’x2’x2’ may be heaven. And there just in no hurry to go anywhere. Where as a bigger tank and constant swimming may mean they feel threatened.

mleibowi
02-17-2022, 10:24 AM
D’bunk I’ve read your posts on this topic which in part has motivated me to get a longer tank. However, the depth and scale provide “places for the fish to go”. I agree when people overstock like an African cichlids tank that is not ideal but I would argue an appropriately stocked 4ft 120 gallon tank is still probably fine. I would also want to know what “natural” behavior is.

bluelagoon
02-17-2022, 11:03 AM
If it matters, I've had discus in 4 foot and 6 foot tanks and have find they act the same. I have also found that 6 full grown discus in a 75 gal was a bit crowded for my liking and so were 10 discus fully grown(6"-8") in a 125 a bit crowded. But is doable with more fish and more maintenance. The surface area is more important than depth in an "over stocked tank" due to atmospheric air pressure for O2. The more surface area the better the gas exchange. If you have large discus, the 1 fish for 10 gal is manageable but looks crowded in any tank, especially is they average 7" fish.

mleibowi
02-17-2022, 11:09 AM
Thanks mervin. I can slightly upgrade my 4x2x2 foot tank to a 6ftx 18 inchx29inch tank. Don’t love the height or decreased width. What are your thoughts D’bunk

RickyB
02-17-2022, 03:40 PM
I've got a 30" tall tank and though it is a bit difficult accessing things on the bottom, I find that the fish don't mind. In my tank, they use all levels of the tank.

mleibowi
02-17-2022, 03:54 PM
In my 24” high tank, they seem to enjoy all levels of the water column. I typically see them at the top but that’s because they want food.

Second Hand Pat
02-17-2022, 09:12 PM
Thanks mervin. I can slightly upgrade my 4x2x2 foot tank to a 6ftx 18 inchx29inch tank. Don’t love the height or decreased width. What are your thoughts D’bunk

See if they can do a 180 (6 x 24in X24in) my favorite tank size.
Pat

mleibowi
02-17-2022, 10:40 PM
I think that would be the sweet spot Pat

pastry
02-19-2022, 09:48 PM
When I finally have time someday, I am definitely building a loooong tank. It's crazy how if I were to reduce the height of my 150 by 6 inches and width by 2 inches then I could lengthen it by nearly 3 more feet and have the same volume of water. I think 108" x 24" x 16" is around 160 gallons.

At that point, I'd go 120" x 28" x 15" and have around 200 gallons. Definitely would be a plywood build with one glass side. But I may never come across the time to gain enough experience to build one I'm 100% inside my house... so I'll focus on figuring out a raised discus pond inside my detached garage (not kidding; ) )

mleibowi
02-19-2022, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the insight D’bunk. Where do you want get your info from? Pat- I also like a 72”x30”x18” ~200 gallons. I’m not thrilled with plumbing a sump etc…. I really appreciate depth much more now. Has anyone used an external overflow bean system?