PDA

View Full Version : Conductivity/TDS vs. Hardness test kits plus quart

06-22-2002, 05:55 AM
Well here's part 2 of the topic I've posted before,
Here's a recap when asking about people's and breeder's water parameters some choose to use GH/KH over conductivity/tds readings? umm, can someone explain or clarify if using GH/KH readings are 'just good enough' for adjusting their breeding water 'lower (i guess not higher)'

i believe kH readings are used more than gH or was it the other way around?

here's part 2 of part 2's question:

We always talk when quartine/transfering new discus we're concerned with changes in pH values and temperature how about conductivity readings? Will the discus be affected if it were transfered from waters with mostly the same conditions except with differences in conductivity?
eg. pH,temp same conductivity different (ok just incase if it was unclear)

Goiku

06-22-2002, 06:32 AM
Damn Raymond >:(
Do you just sit around thinking of ways to make us use our brains :crazy:

Part one: (without writing half a page)

kh...carbonate hardness...and gh...general hardness are more than suitable for the everyday hobbiest! In fact I would recommend that No one buys a tds meter or a conductivity meter untill they have a good understanding of kh & gh.
If someone yells help!! My ph keeps crashing!!...the tds is 150 ppm....or the conductivity is175....what does that tell you?? NADA!! IMO tds & conductivity meters are for down the road....when you have a good grasp on your own water chemistry and water chemistry in general.

Part two:
I cant answer the question in relation to conductivity...I dont own a conductivity meter...but if we switch it to kh/gh....this is where the understanding water chemistry comes into play....no...small differences in hardness will not bother the fish...but this is because of the direct relationship of kh/gh and ph
eg....generaly speaking small difference in kh/ghequals  a very small or no difference in ph....a large change in kh/gh will equal a large change in ph (higher ph) This is why IMO there isnt much concern about the hardness when transfering fish from one tank to another only ph....clear as mud??

Tony

Ardan
06-22-2002, 06:37 AM
Hi Goiku,
IMO the GH is more important for growing discus. The KH has to do wth how much "carbonates" are in the water. THese affect the buffering capacity of the water in relationship to stabalizing the ph.
GH has to do with how many minerals are in the water, like calcium, magnesium, others.
 IMO the conductivity (hardness) is not so important when transferring discus from one water to another. Ph is important as well as temp.
Using GH readings can be "good enough" but using conductivity readings are more accurate. (IMO using Gh of 3 or less for breeding)
JMO
Ardan  :sunshine:

06-22-2002, 06:46 AM
Hi Tony and Ardan,

thanks for the responses = ) apperciate it,

now i remember y KH came up in my mind, it was for planted tanks when we were tweaking with co2 levels in our tanks in relationship with KH

Good job guys

Goiku

Discusrite
09-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Using GH readings can be "good enough" but using conductivity readings are more accurate. (IMO using Gh of 3 or less for breeding)

Hi, if a GH of 3 or less is good for breeding, then what level of GH is good for raising youngs, and at which point it is consider too high?
This would help things out for my future of discus keeping. Thanks!

Carol_Roberts
09-18-2003, 03:57 PM
GH 6 to maybe GH 16? My GH runs about 12

sstainback
12-16-2003, 12:18 AM
GH 6 to maybe GH 16? My GH runs about 12

Carol,

When you refer to your GH running at 12. I assume this is Degrees of Hardness ???
Sorry, I am still trying to figure out all this hardness vs. conductivity/tds stuff.
My Hagan/Nutrafin test kit measures GH and KH in ppm. I believe I divide my ppm reading by 17.9 to express it in the same terms as your using?
Since I am getting an unmeasurable reading already for GH, I will probably take your advice from the other post and add R/O right to help my babies grow. My KH is about 75 ppm, so in your terms, that is a KH of about 4.

I am still being scared by the tds meter reading of 140-160 out of the tap which jumps to 500+ when I add enough R/O Right to give me color with even a single drop (20 ppm). I guess for now I will proceed as if I did not have the tds meter since I am not 100% sure it is correct. My only fear is that there might be a high salt content in my water and I will get the actual tds too high.

More thanks,
Steve

mattrox
12-16-2003, 01:51 AM
Presumably you want to make your water harder. Which means adding calcium and magnesium. Magnesium Sulfate could be added to get the Mg content higher. You wouldn't add it at the rate that it is used as a medication of course. You could try running shell grit (washed) in your system to add Calcium. If you did either if those I would suggest calculating exactly how much you were adding first then monitoring your water closely.

What about the rift lake water treatments? Maybe using that a a quarter the dose would add hardness. I don't know how it would alter the pH though?? I don't know what ingredients it has.