PDA

View Full Version : Grindal? Micro? worms info??

korbi_doc
07-10-2002, 11:37 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Hi all, can anyone tell me about these 2 worms? Are they small, will Discus eat them, nutritional? Seems they can be cultured too, perhaps they would be a good addition to the menu?? The earthworms (red) are ok, but have to be chopped up in small pieces. I used scissors in the palm of my hand. Does anyone use these Grindals or microworms??Tia  Dottie  8) 8)

Aquatic_Design
07-10-2002, 12:07 PM
Korbi Doc,
I have used both grindal and microworms for angelfish. The microworms are good as a holdover food if you don't have any BBS hatched. I wouldn't use them as a staple. I don't think that the growth is as good. Grindal worms are fine for young discus as a treat or even once a day. They are too small for adult discus. My discus like whiteworms but tend to ignore the grindal. I think they don't see them because of the small size of the worm.
JMO
Donna
P.S. They are all easy to culture.

07-12-2002, 11:56 AM
Hello Dottie. I have been using grindal worms for a couple of years now for fry and young discus. The adults will eat it, but not real good.
For young or fry there a great food. I always have a culture going. Variety is the bestthing for young fish. Live foods are also better than any store bought food in my opinion.
Give it a try, your fish will love you for it.
Matt

korbi_doc
07-12-2002, 12:55 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Thanks, Donna & Mat, think I'll try the grindal worms for awhile, when these youngsters grow up they may not want them, lol   Dottie   ;D ;D

Kevin
01-30-2003, 03:46 PM
I bought a culture of micro worms? the other day. The guy said to put the oatmeal about a half inch thick add milk and sprinkle with yeast. Out of a small starter portion I now have two eight by eight inch containers and the yogert bottel they came in full of the little worms. They are very small and productive. Are these the type worms you are talking about? I am waiting to try some sn the young discus about the same time they first eat shrimp. I have given them to some of the young that are a half inch or better but they seem to dissapear in the five gallon tank too quickly to tell if they are being eaten.

01-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Sounds like you have micro worms to me. There an ok food, i just never cared to raise them. I always forgot about the culture for a week or two and oh..... what a fowl smell.
Im sure fry will eat them up for you though. Remember to start a new culture every few weeks.
Matt