PDA

View Full Version : California Blackworms information

brewmaster15
07-03-2002, 06:21 AM
http://www.simplydiscus.com/YaBBUploads/worm.gif

There are many important reasons to choose Live Blackworms for your fish instead of frozen and machine prepared "fast" foods. Obviously, live foods are the truly perfect nutritional source for your tropical fish, but are you aware of some of these other reasons?...
Our Blackworms are small enough ( no larger then one inch long or the size of a pin) for all tropical fish to devour them.
The uneaten worms will not die and decay in your aquarium gravel bed and filtration system. Our California Blackworms ( our Blackworms are not Tubifex )are raised in controlled conditions and are free of parasites and pathogenic (disease causing) bacteria.
Aquatic Foods uses a high protein manufactured feed along with an advanced reproduction environment which allows our live food to compete with the basic flakes and frozen foods that are available.
Your fish will love devouring these live Blackworms. Thus, following nature's instincts, they will glow with emotional health.
And something we never forget here at Aquatic Foods, you always want to give your tropical fish the very best because.. they belong to you!
Summary, these rich, succulent Blackworms are teeming with nutrition. Your tropical fish will quickly show the vibrant glow of health that nature intended for them when you include live foods in their diet.
California Blackworms provide the most excellent source of protein, and are extremely useful as a conditioning food for breeding preparation.
Be sure of your source! Insist on Aquatic Foods. Visit our website at
Aquatic Foods

http://aquaticfoods.com/worms.html

brewmaster15
07-03-2002, 06:22 AM
Hi all,  
   I have been asked alot why I feel that California  Blackworms are one of the safest foods to feed my Discus. I  have a considerable amount of time looking into this food source and   have posted a lot of the information I have come across, and will continue to do so.  In my evaluation I also  contacted  Dan at Aquatic Foods as I wanted  to get more info  than what they post on their website.  Here is that info on exactly how these  worms  are  cultured and processed prior to  us getting them. Looking at this system , and the care that has gone into  it was the final basis  in my decision  to  Feed  Live California blackworms. I post  am posting here for those interested in knowing how their worms were  treated prior to them receiving them.

this info is directly  from  Aquatic Foods...

Al
Here is a write up of some of the things we do in a kind of an outline.
I hope this kind of gives you an idea of how serious I am about providing
the best, cleanest and safest worms available.
Thanks for your time.

Dan

The Farm:
1. We have 3 large ponds 2 2-acres and 1 3-acre
2. All three are aerated and covered to keep the ducks and all   birds out,
  every one eats Blackworms.
3. We pump in water from the river and a deep well on the property, this way we
    can control the temperature during winter and summer month. The river intake
    is screened to prevent anything from being brought into the ponds. When the
    water is discharged into the ponds it is run through a small micron screened box.
Remember everything eats Blackworms.

Raising and Cleaning the worms:
1.  We feed them a very high protein pellet salmon feed during the winter and a
   lesser protein feed during the summer. This stops "Hot" spots in the pond.
2.  The worms are 4-6 weeks old before we harvest them. During that 4-6 weeks we
   feed daily and rake them daily.
3.  When we harvest, its plain old hard on the back work. We bucket them and the
   mud they are in out of the pond bucket by bucket.
   Cleaning: They are brought indoors and placed in our cleaners. Without getting
   into this much I can say the cleaning uses extreme heat. they are in this process
   2-4 hours.
4.  They then are removed and placed in holding tanks. Here they kept 7-10 days
   so that they can be purged to the Max. They are feed nothing. For shipping it
   is very important that they no feed in them. The stress of shipping will make them
   discharge their waste in the shipping boxes.

Holding and Shipping Facility:
1.  The worms are then brought to my warehouse in town. There they are kept in holding tanks in    a  2500 SF cold box in a 40-45 degree chilled water closed system.
    There they are held for 36-48 hours for shipping. Remember purging is very
    important for shipping.

Shipping:
1.    As everyone knows we use Airborne Express. Their freight rates are why we use    
them. Other carriers would double the cost of the landed worms.
2.    As for Airborne they do not guarantee their service or my product if they
deliver late, kill the worms or loose the package. This is the price we pay
for the favorable freight rates.
3.    Our policy is we do guarantee the worms if Airborne delivers a day late during
the summer months and the worms arrive DOA. During the winter months they
arrive fine. We cannot guarantee the worms if Airborne says they attempted to
deliver and had to return the next day with DOA worms. Also we cannot
guarantee them if Airborne says they deliver and something happens to the
package after delivery or if the recipient does not receive and give them the
proper care needed    
4.    However it is our policy that if this happens we will reship for the Airborne S & H only and     not charge for the worms.

brewmaster15
07-03-2002, 06:25 AM
Blackworms and disease....

Hi  all,  
I know recently  we have been discussing  the pros and cons of blackworms  as a live food.  In teh past I have received literature from a scientist  that specializes  in Invertebrates, and has written extensively  on Blackworm Biology.  His Name is Dr.Charles Drewes. If you recall my writings on blackworm  culture, I referenced  him  there. Biological supply laboratories also include his research  when they  supply live  worms.

I recently sent him an email  to ask his opinion on the disease aspects we have discussed....

Dear Dr. Drewes,
>   I raise a tropical fish, called Discus as a hobby. The
>question has been raised by my fellow hobbyists as to
>whether  or not Lumbriculus variegatus  can act as an
>intermediate  host for Tape worms to be passed then on
>to our fish.  Also the question was asked if they could
>possibly ingest  eggs of parasitic worms, and gill
>flukes, and then pass them along  the Discus.  I am also
>a biologist  and  I have searched the literature and
>found no research to support  this.
>   May I ask you opinion on this matter? I know from my
>literature searches that you have  researched this
>organism extensively.
>    Any information you could give me is greatly
>appreciated. Thank you very much.
>
>  Sincerely,
>Al Sabetta
Dr. Drewes reply...

Dear Al,
You are correct. There is no published evidence whatsoever that Lumbriculus  
is an intermediate host for tapeworms.  I suppose that any scavenging  
organism, including many fish, could inadvertently ingest tapeworm eggs and  
then, through either predation (being eaten) or by defecation, pass them  
onto another organism.   To avoid that remote possibility, I suppose it  
might be prudent to let newly acquired organisms (worms and fish) clear  
their gut contents in a separate container, if you don't know what they  
have been eating.  I continue to glean the Lumbriculus literature but have  
found no support for the concern and claim about tapeworms.  Thanks very  
much for your message and interest.
Charles Drewes
Professor of Zoology and Genetics

I am sharing this information not to prove that blackworms  do not  carry these diseases, but to show that  they have not been  proven  to carry these diseases.  This  doesn't  prove  that they are a safe food, for the time being we will all have to make that  decision  on our own.

I also have an inquiry out to Dan at Aquatic  foods to see how much time elapses between  harvest  time, shipping, and the method in which they handle the worms.

My personal feelings are, any accidental ingestions by the worms of parasites/eggs   would be voided  before we even get them.  

This doesn't address  the question of bacterial probelms have been associated  with black worms in general.

It is  the my hopes that this adds to the body of information we have on Blackworms as a food  for Discus.
Take care,  
al

and ....

have received a copy of another  letter  from Dr.Drewes in sponse  to another Hobbyists inquiry.   heres  that letter...

Thanks for your message and questions. I consulted with a professor-colleague here, who is an expert fish parasitologist, and he tells me that parasites ( several species of which certainly do infect fish) DO NOT use any intermediate host ( such as oligochaete worms or any other species) to harbor and transmit the parasite. Instead, one fish can directly infect another fish by releasing the parasite into the water in its feces and then by another fish ingesting the parasite. So, transmission is like Giardia, in respect, and involves only a single host and no intermediate hosts. So, your concerns about Hexamita infection occurring from worms themselves is not warranted. Of course, the water that the worms were in might be a potential concern if it was water that came from infected water. To be " safer " when you feed worms to the fish, you couls rinse and drain the worms several times in distilled water to help flush away any fish feces. I might add, that if the fish feces were consumed by the worms, then I supect that any Hexamita therin would most likely get fully gigested in the worm gut. As I mentioned, there is no evidence of invertebrates being an intermediate host for Hexamita. I verified this information through a search of research publications using the Biological Abstracts data base.
In regard to your questions about blackworms and tubifex worms...they are both oligochaete worms, but they are quite different in terms of taxonomy, ecolgy, and biology. Tubifex is most abundant in habitats where there is silty mud and organic and thermal pollution. Lumbriculus (blackworms) orefer more pristine habitats. Blood Worms are insect larvae. See http://www.dph.nl/sub-article/cat-01/bloodworms.shtml <http://www.dph.nl/sub-article/cat-01/bloodworms.shtml>

I hope this answers your questions and clarifies things a little. Feel free to share this informatin with your colleagues. Charles Drewes Professor of Zoology and Genetics  

HTH,  
al

brewmaster15
07-03-2002, 06:35 AM
Blackworm discussions we have had on this forum...

Blackworms...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=983

what do they look like....
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3576

Blackworms 101

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1008

Blackworms - to feed or not to feed

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3997

CBW
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3068

fish hooked on blackworms..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3718

sex and the single blackworm

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3040

Live blackworms and planted tank
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1914

temp for blackworm...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=973

parasites and blackworms..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3609

live food dangerous..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3022

blackworms and canada....
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3238

freezing calbalck worms..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=2672

Cal Blackworm set up..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=945

Blackworm culture...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1356

feeding to smaller fish..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3801

I will try to update this as discussions occur..
-al

brewmaster15
10-24-2002, 02:08 PM
Hi all,
I've brought this up to the top and updated all the links. I'm leaving it unlocked for now, just no blackworm wars please.

thanks,
al

10-29-2002, 01:57 AM
Al,
You got nutritional analysis for these worms?
If you don't mind posting this important information.

Thanks

brewmaster15
10-29-2002, 11:17 AM
Hi roundhead,
I don't have that info, though I wish i did. If I had some spare cash, I'd see about asking Dan at Aquatics to send somem worms out for nutritional analysis.

As of yet I have not found that info published. If anyone has it I'd be great to post!

-al

Keystonediscus
11-06-2002, 12:09 AM
hey round head and Al i dont have an exact % on the protien levels of blackworms but i have heard on another forum that they are the highest available source of protien available. I guess thats why Discus Grow so well on these things. Dans got an awsome set up going for him at Aquatic Foods. best thing is a LFS near me gets a fresh batch in every thursday from him. Im going through 1 lb of them every 3 weeks with my operation.
Brian Bender
Keystone Discus
www.keystonediscus.com

fcdiscus
11-06-2002, 01:47 AM
1 pound every three week! Brian- stop being so cheap! ;) Frank

keno
11-22-2002, 12:58 PM
Man, I only have 30discus and im using about a lb every 3 weeks, wonder if im feeding too much, they only get them for last feeding at night.

Ken

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2002, 12:33 AM
I feed cbw twice a day.
Carol :heart1:

11-23-2002, 12:51 AM
equals.............................

Nice... Fat.... Healthy.... (providing the worms are too) Fishies....... !!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

pete m daniels
11-27-2002, 06:10 AM
Hello everyone
I keep mostly wild discus, i have at the moment peruvian greens, heckels,
tefe greens, xingu, manucapuru blues, rsg and madeira blues. I have been
reading alot on this forum about the CBW and would love to try some as i do feed
my wilds on live food but find it quite expensive here in the UK. So my
questions are. Would it be possible to post worms to UK, would they survive, is it legal to post to another country, and if the answer is yes is it
easy to culture the worms to keep a fresh supply going. I will be very interested to see what you have to say on this query.

regards ...............pete daniels

daddyg70
01-20-2003, 11:09 PM
Hello. :D I am new to this forum and new to discus. I just bought some CBW and my question is how to give them to the discus. Do I rinse them first? How much and how often should I give? How long do they last in the refrigerator. Thanks.

Greg

01-21-2003, 02:00 AM
Greg,
Welcome to Simply Discus.
When the CBW first arrive you need to rinse them with aged chilled water. The water needs changed atleast twice a day. When you go to feed the worms, put them in a plastic bag and fill half full with water and shake them, then pour out the water and refill and do it again. Most of the time it takes about 3-4 times and the water will be clear. Then put the worms back into the holder and fill with water and pick out the leeaches and feed a small portion to your fish. I feed what they will eat in 30 seconds. I feed CBW twice a day. They will eat thereself til they get sick so do not over feed them! And when you are done put them in the fridge. I have them last a week or so, I feed 2+ lbs or more a week.

P.S. DW just posted the results from the last CBW test on DAAH.

HTH
Miles

daddyg70
01-21-2003, 03:56 AM
Oops, too late! :o I did not rinse the blackworms before I gave it too my 6 discus. They went nuts over these guys! Two weeks ago I bought 2 Wattley red pandas and 1 imported blue diamond. They are 3" and are harrassed during feeding time by my 3 4-5" German red turqs. I have never really seen my blue diamond eat until I dropped those wigglers! He was harassed but it did not stop him from eating. I am going to give them blackworms from now on! This time I am going to rinse them as you recommended. I hope I did not harm them from feeding them unrinsed blackworms. There is a slight odor. Is this normal? I doubt the LFS rinses these guys daily. Oh yeah, what do you mean by "aged" water?

wildthing
06-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Brew that is a great thing you did here, colating the CBW info like this. That must have taken a bit of your family time. I tend to speak from memory & that ain't always what it used to be so to have all the actual text & links is excellent... I hope the nay-sayers will take note & provide equally good references for their arguments

I have about 200 adult fish & feed them CBW's once a day, last feeding, I go through about 5 lbs per week, unless I have a large number of stingrays come in, then that doubles or more ......if you thought Discus were pigs... even small rays can eat a netful in one gulp! LOL..everyone eats CBW's ( well, I don;t but my fish do)

Dan is very consciencious about his product & I feel very comfortable getting my supplies from him, given the extremes he goes to in order to ensure a clean product.
There are always codas tho, they do need to be kept clean & not overfed ( in one sitting anyway) for the previously mentioned reasons.
I cannot speak to what other CBW breeders are doing, a long time ago I used to get them from a trout farm in Carolina somewhere but then I discovered Aquatic foods.
Dan also has amazingly good prices on hikari frozen bloodworms, which are the only ones I would use as they are triple sterilized & vitamin enriched.

;D ;D ::)

Sean
09-02-2003, 02:07 PM
When it comes to feedin your discus CBW, does it affect there colours at all?

For better or worse? (Man I was hoping to never say those words again!!hehe)

Thanks,

Sean.

oodi
09-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Hi Sean,

I have been using CBW's for over a year, and I cannot personally say that I have seen any difference in color as a result. But then again, I use other types of food, in addition to the CBW's.

Judi
:)

mtwinn
01-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi everyone,

I am not sure this is the right spot for this post but I need help. With all the talk about how good and clean CBW is, and Brew's personal testimony, I've decided to get some. The problem is I can't seem to get a response from Dan at Aquatic foods. It's been almost a month since I've submitted my credit card info along with my order and still no CBW. I've email Dan numerous times and tried calling the number listed on their web site but never got a response back. Everyone is saying how easy it is to reach Dan and how wonderful the experience in buying CBW is from Dan....where am I going wrong? Is there a way to reach Dan that I haven't figured out yet? I can't believe I am trying so hard to give Dan my business (it should be the other way around). So, if anyone here can reach Dan easily, or Dan if you see this post, please email me. Thanks everyone!

Mike

GulfCoastDiscus
01-03-2004, 01:23 AM
I have the same problem Mike. I been ordering from dan for several months. Usually I order cbw twice a month. My last order was horrible. More than half of the worms are dead or dying. I tried to rinse and rinse with no avail. Even the leaches are dead. The box was suppose to arrive on Tuesday but did not arrive till Wednesday afternoon and the ice was melted.
I wanted to see if dan will rectify this or maybe give me a discount on the next order. This is the first time. Usually the worms looks great with no complaints.

Where are you Dan. Talk to me

Dan

DanCBW
01-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Everyone
You all know how fast I respond and confirm orders.
I don't know if its AOL's new spam blocks or what but I am not receiving a lot of emails.
Please send more then one of the same email.
Also try blkwormsarehere@aol.com
along with blkworm@aol.com

Also you can also call 559-291-0623 and talk to Elaine
or fax to 559-291-0601

Believe me I'm more frustrated then you all.

Dan

DanCBW
01-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Please pass the previous post around if this topic
comes up in conversation.
Thanks for the help.

Dan
blkwormsarehere@aol.com
blkworms@aol.com

GulfCoastDiscus
01-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi Folks,
Dan is sending me CBW without cost. Thank you Dan you made a loyal costumer out of me. Like I said before I have NEVER had any trouble in the past and will continue to order CBW from Dan.

Dan

Texmex_discus
01-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Reading about this brings to me a question mark to my head. I've tried in the past BW with my breeding pair and the results were excellent but after a few weeks of feeding BW I started to have problems with Hole in the Head and discus dying on me has anyone had the same expierence. by the way a stop feeding BW I only use TUBI or arthemia more desease controlable

David N
01-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Regarding the leaches living with the blackworms. I take them out when I see them. Are they dangerous? Can the leaches harm the fish?

Carol_Roberts
01-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Leeches don't harm the discus, but they don't eat thm either.

jaydoc
01-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Just a quick atta boy to Dan at CBW. I ordered my first batch of CBW on Monday night, And had great looking worms on my desk at work (in Kansas) by Wednesday afternoon. I know some had complained recently about service. I had no problem. And the worms are much better than what I got from the LFS.
Cary M.

GoodMike
01-15-2004, 05:19 PM
isnt that a whole lot of work? all the cleaning of the worms, and its expensive too! i was hoping to do somthing like cbw, but the expense and all the cleaning seems too much for me, what else can i do, now i feed color bits, frozen bs, bloodworms, and some beef heart. Do i need anything else? and no, i dont feed that all at once, i change it up. :D

jaydoc
01-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Being kinda new to discus, I am no expert. you will find a lot of difference of opinion about this issue even on this web site though. Many of the moderators and senior members whose opinion I respect( Brewmaster, Cary-GLD, Carol Roberts) Speak highly of CBW. Your well rounded routine that you are currently doing is pretty good also, but I think you will be impressed that the CBW are worth there expense and hassle. As reguards expense, Dan at aquatic foods runs some great specials. I order a pound of CBW and found that it will probably give me at least as many meals for the fishies as the same $$ worth of prepackaged frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. And the fish love it! Just my opinion.
Cary M.

shyangel6614
01-26-2004, 10:28 PM
I have a question... Does anyone here know if the blackworms are ok for Beta fish to eat? Thanks for your time. :)

vickie s
01-26-2004, 11:28 PM
I have seen several sites that include blackworms in the betta diet, especially for conditioning for breeding. Try this site:

http://www.splendidfarms.com/Feeding_the_Adults.html

I feed my daughter's betta with the blackworms a couple times a week and the betta acts like a puppie when he sees me come towards his tank. His tank is planted and has some floating stem plants that I put 2 or 3 worms on. This slows their fall to the bottom and the betta gets them easier. He will hunt for them between the plants and rocks as well.

delmore
01-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Does anyone get them from the LFS? They sell them for $1 for a small container, but the owner rolls his eyes when I ask him where they come from. The LFS is minutes from my house, so is the best option. If they are all alive, and don't have an odor, is there must risk involved? I have fed them to my SA community tank with good results.

vickie s
01-29-2004, 02:59 PM
I was getting them from the lfs to try them out for a couple weeks. The lfs here is pretty good so I gave it a try. Most of the time the worms were clean and looked good, but occasionally they would not be so clean (very hazy, slimy water when rinsed). I think the staff at the lfs sometimes misses the worm maintenance, or there are other problems.

Once I knew my young discus liked the worms, and the holidays had passed, I started ordering from Dan at aquatic foods. I have been happy with his worms. They come in clean and I do the daily rinsing (2x a day when they are about 1/2 inch deep in the worm keepers and 1x a day once they get to about 1/4 inch deep in the worm keepers). This way I know the worms have been maintained (by me) and are not heavily growing bacteria.

If you do get them from you lfs, follow the worm instructions in this thread and wash them a couple times a day for a couple days to make sure they are clean prior to feeding them to your fish. If you have doubts, don't feed.

vickie

MIKE_MCGOWAN
02-10-2004, 03:10 PM
I just recieved my order from Dan at aquatic foods and he is the best (my personal feeling) his cutomer service is great and his product is wonderful, always clean, shipped to my door, never smelly, no haze on top of the water, and a whole lot better than any LFS. So if anybody is looking for the LFS alternitive for CBW than Dan is the man. Here is his link. http://aquaticfoods.com/worms.html

paletka
02-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Hi everybody,
Only one question- Garlic will not kill CBW should we use it in clining process?.

Chris

rcubeiii
04-21-2004, 12:54 AM
Cary from Great Lakes Discus suggested adding some methylene blue to the water to help get rid of any surface slime. Tried this on my last batch with a few drops in the water in addition to a VERY thorough initial washing and found it really helped clean them up. Keep 'em clean if you want to avoid problems!

KARINA
04-21-2004, 01:35 PM
if you soak the black worms in garlic a few min before feeding they will not die I haven't try longer though

captainandy
05-06-2004, 08:24 PM
I have been ordering from Dan for a little over 2 months. His service has always been outstanding. Worms have always been fresh and with daily rinsing, they look as healthy at 2 weeks as they did the day they arrived. My betta's, Africans and SW reef fish love them as well.

paletka
07-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Hi ,

I use garlic in my CBW holding tank ( garlic guard ).
No problem, I keep them a life for two week's or more.

Chris

Tiptoptank
03-29-2005, 01:53 PM
What the deal with the web site? It's been down for quite some time? I found a new dealer for you guys and I need to get them some worms.

oodi
03-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi Tiptop,

I didn't have a problem getting to the Aquatic Foods site. Try this link:

http://aquaticfoods.com/

Judi
:)

Cosmo
03-29-2005, 11:56 PM
I've been feeding live black worms to my Discus longer than I think there has been a CBW from Aquatic foods and have never noticed any health problems relating to the feeding of them. Like Carol, I feed them twice a day and go through about 1lb per week... hey, they like them :D The past few months I've been using a solution of 1 drop of M blue per 1/2gal of water to rinse and hold them in and have no problems ordering every other week.. these worms always arrive much cleaner and healthier than any I've bought from an LFS..

My fish give them 2 thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

Jim

Kindredspirit
11-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey Jim!

Gosh, I am so glad you said that! Every once in a while i read a post about all the damage cbw can do and I just read one from someone that I value his opinion and, of course, I was trippin...( actually, I did just literally trip, in my kitchen, and a saucer went flying with cbw in it! It was awful, those slimy things splattered all over my cabinets!)

Anyways, I have fed my discus them from the moment Cary sent them to me in September and they are beautiful! But sometimes i get paranoid....I get them from Dan as well~

You made me feel better!

Your A Good Man, Charlie Brown~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_15_4.gif

Marie~

Bilbo
01-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Ok my question is this . This thread was started about 2 years ago it seems ..... I would like to know if anyone here has ran into some disease problems while using live black worms? If so please pm me or let me know here. I have been hearing nothing but good things about this product and im glad to hear it. Its rare to hear no health problems occuring from a live food like this. Eventually there is always some somewhere . So please help me out. Thanks, Rashidi

Bilbo
01-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Ok my question is this . This thread was started about 2 years ago it seems ..... I would like to know if anyone here has ran into some disease problems while using live black worms? If so please pm me or let me know here. I have been hearing nothing but good things about this product and im glad to hear it. Its rare to hear no health problems occuring from a live food like this. Eventually there is always some somewhere . So please help me out. Thanks, Rashidi

Sorry for the double post. I forgot to email subscribe to this topic.

londonloco
03-11-2006, 10:13 AM
I've been buying blackworms from my LFS for 6 mths now, no ill effects. THE ONLY LFS I go to is 20-25 mins away. Around Christmas, I couldn't make the trip to the LFS for about 3 weeks. I was surprised in that short a time what a difference there was in my discus, in size, growth rate, color and even attitiude (friendliness). I was shocked. I got tired of paying LFS prices, so yesterday I put in a standing order with California black worms for 1/2 lb twice a month. I'm sure I'll up it. Hope this helps.

BobB
06-06-2006, 09:26 AM
How much would you order for a 90 showtank with 9 discus.

karl wagner
06-28-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm a big fan of the live blackworms.
My fish used to eat, now it seems they look forward to eating.

I think the shortness of this thread is due to the lack of trouble that
people have had with this food.

lhforbes12
06-28-2006, 05:14 PM
How much would you order for a 90 showtank with 9 discus.

Bob,
That's difficult to say. How big are they? I go through a pound in about a week and a half, I have 3 adult and (24) 2 1/2" and cbw is fed once a day *(obviously not their main food) CBW is by FAR their favorite food.

Larry

Imperialdiscus
08-15-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm a big fan of the live blackworms.
My fish used to eat, now it seems they look forward to eating.

I think the shortness of this thread is due to the lack of trouble that
people have had with this food.

I've been using blackworms for years as a food source. I have never had any suspicious disease problems with them, the fish love them and grow like mad on worms.

the lack of responses on this thread are most assuredly due to lack of issues.

LizStreithorst
08-15-2006, 07:56 PM
I love them when they arrive fresh. IME, that was about 15% of the time.

Imperialdiscus
08-15-2006, 08:45 PM
I love them when they arrive fresh. IME, that was about 15% of the time.

hmmmm...

I typically buy huge bags of them, and have had pretty good luck getting fresh and active worms.

Tony_S
08-15-2006, 09:04 PM
I've been using blackworms for years as a food source. I have never had any suspicious disease problems with them, the fish love them and grow like mad on worms.

the lack of responses on this thread are most assuredly due to lack of issues.

100% agreement!

Tony

Apistomaster
10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm a regular customer of Dan's (Aquatic Foods) and only a have a small fishroom with a lot of discus, Hypancistrus and small Peckoltia plecos and Corydoras that I breed and sell to regional shops. I go through a pound a week of California blackworms. They are a Corydoras breeder's best friend.
I keep them in a dishpan in the fridge with just enough water to cover the clump of worms so they have maximum exposure to oxygen without drying them out. I rinse them like washing aquarium gravel and then the same each day but for the first day after the initial washes I put them in the wash tub with a small 5x8 inch plastic organizer basket with the slotted sides. Then I run water on this flow deflector basket for about 20 minutes with the water flowing as fast as possible without washing good worms down the drain. The point of this crude set up is that it seems to gradually rinse out the dead worms and help continue the purging process. They stay cleaner for me but they don't last longer because my fish can eat more blackworms than I can afford.
I think that when problems with fish are associated with the worms it is usually linked to feeding dirty dying worms that should'nt have been used.

kdazzel
10-15-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm trying to click on some of the links here and it's not working.
So here's my question:

Okay I've seen these CBW's at the fish store by my house. They come in little bags, water looks clean.

If I get some, i would rinse them real good with chilled aged water..wondering if my refridgerator water would count as that? Lol..I figure it sits in the water line? or no? Is this due to the chlorine? because I have a water filter on my fridge.

then I keep them in a container with a small amt of water and take them out and rinse them a couple times a day x2days. Day 3 i rinse them again and can give them to my fish.

Is this right?

Thanks
kdazzel

lhforbes12
10-16-2006, 07:05 AM
I get my CBW from here;
http://wormman.com/default.cfm

or here;
http://www.aquaticfoods.com/Blackworms.html

or here: BillEagan@aol.com

I prefer the last source.
I use these; http://aquaticfoods.com/accessories.html to store them, and I would no longer be without them.

As for keeping and feeding, I rinse them when I get them and feed as soon as I am done rinsing. They are washed and their water replaced daily. I can keep them for up to two weeks. I now order 2 pounds every two weeks, mainly because it's a lot cheaper the larger the quantitiy you buy.

Cosmo
10-16-2006, 10:34 AM
I stopped feeding CBWs a couple months ago and went to frozen blood worms to save some money... now I feel guilty :( My poor fish do love the blackworms but 2lbs a month was adding up.... hmmm, maybe if I go without eating my lunch :confused: :D

Jim

Kindredspirit
10-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Me too Jim!! I just ran out as well ~ thank goodness my fish all eat anything......for a split sec they will look at it whatever it is...and think..."okay...then...it isnt moving....but I will eat it!"

I am feeling guilty too ~

But hey ~ you can only do so much ~

Marie~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_16.gif

Jarrod
10-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I have never fed my fish any CBW but I used to feed live tubifex. Of course the tubifex was what the LFS that I bought them from years and years ago called them. That was waaaay back then when I had African/SA cichlids only tho. When I first got into discus I did a alot of research on the various live foods. And when I went into the LFS here closest to me I asked if they had tubifex live food and they said yes they did. But this was after reading so much about the problems alot had with live worms. While I never had any probs with any of my fish while feeding tubifex as they were called I after studying and researching discus foods found the frozen bloodworm concept and for a reason still unknown to me decided to switch over to them for my discus just to be on the safe side I guess. Call it being overcautious if you will but all I want is for my fish to be healthy and happy and disease free like everyone else does. So can someone please remind me yet once again about why CBW are so bad? I know I could do a search for it but ok so I'm kind of lazy this morning lol.:D I do remember it had something to do with disease transmission or something like that..so could I be enlightend once again?
TIA
George

Kindredspirit
10-16-2006, 12:59 PM
So can someone please remind me yet once again about why CBW are so bad?
George

Jarrod ~ ( just can not do that "GEO" thing babe:p )

But ~

Check this out ~ http://www.aquaticfoods.com/

This is where I get mine ~ Dan is close to Sac ~ I think it all depends on where and how the grosslilsuckers are raised ~:p

Also ~ talk to Tony and Beth ~ Tony is great at explaining the whys and hows!!

hth~

Marie ~ :angel:

Jarrod
10-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks Marie! I will look at it and see what it says!
LOL as for the Geo thing no worries darlin...like I always say you can call me anthing cept for sunb!tch and late for dinner!!! ROFL
J (is that easier? lmao)

kaceyo
10-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Just a reminder. Be cautious buying worms from the lfs. Many of them call tubifex "black worms" and one in my area calls tubifex "blood worms". So ask them specificly if they're tubifex, don't assume they aren't because they use a different name for them.

Kacey

CAGE-RATTLER
10-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Just a reminder. Be cautious buying worms from the lfs. Many of them call tubifex "black worms" and one in my area calls tubifex "blood worms". So ask them specificly if they're tubifex, don't assume they aren't because they use a different name for them.

Kacey

Can you tell the difference by sight??

Kindredspirit
10-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Kacey is SO right guys! Make sure you ask for CBW! Be specific ~

hexed
10-16-2006, 05:38 PM
My aquarium get theirs from DAN THE MAN! :D
Frank

ShinShin
10-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Kacey,

I'm curious as to where they are selling tubifex in the Seattle area.

Mat

kaceyo
10-16-2006, 06:36 PM
I can't tell the difference. If there is a way I don't know it.
Matt,
Little Amazon on Aurora and Fish Gallary in Renton and Kent all sell tubifex worms.
HTH

Kacey

lhforbes12
10-16-2006, 08:51 PM

Kacey

This is very important and quite correct, you always need to be careful about knowing your source.

ShinShin
10-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Cage,

Tubifex are red compared to the earthworm color of blackworms. Blackworms tend to be bigger in girth and a bit longer than tubifex.

Kacey,

Many lfs's in our area (Tacoma/Seattle) sell or have sold blackworms as tubifex. In the 15 years I have shopped at FG in Renton, they have always had cbw's, not tubifex. Some lfs also sold cbw's as bloodworms, further confusing matters. Tubifex are often called bloodworms in Asia.

Mat

kaceyo
10-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Matt,
That would be a pleasant surprise if FG has black worms. The person I asked called them black worms but when I asked if they were sure they weren't tubifex they said they were both the same thing. I'll definitly look into it further.

Kacey

ShinShin
10-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Kacey -

Since Kevin left as manager and opened his own store in Burien, FG has gone downhill, IMO. I've quit driving up there.

Mat

CAGE-RATTLER
10-17-2006, 02:39 AM
One more question ................

Why are they called california Black Worms??

Can they not come from elsewhere?

Do they need smog to grow? lol

Gen
10-17-2006, 12:37 PM
CBW is a blackworms that come from one specific breeder.

most LFS sells blackworms but most likely it's not from CBW, because it's very expensive. be very careful when you buy live food.

roclement
10-17-2006, 01:51 PM
For my money CBW from Aquatic Foods has been my most reliable source, I have always cleaned them daily and have been able to maintain them live for over 2 weeks with no problem.

With my last batch I have started using this product that I found at "That Fish Place" it is a "worm keeper" powder that you sprinkle in the culture to maintain it and clean it, so far I love it! it really has worked wonders in keeping my worms clean and odor free!

Rod

kaceyo
10-17-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm thinking of getting some from "The Worm Man" this time as they're $7 a pound cheaper than Dan's at AquaFoods. At first glance Dans seem to be less expensive, but after the surcharges and handling fees they end up costing more. I like dealing with Dan at Aquatic Foods but I'm on a budget. Anyone here bought from The Worm Man before? Send me a PM and let me know how his compare to AF's if you can.
Thanks,

Kacey

Greg Richardson
12-13-2006, 03:57 AM
The links at start of thread no longer work.
What a shame. Looked like great info there.

When I hear about CBW I hear people say they are good conditioners for breeders.
Great, but what does that mean exactly?
What is it they provide that other foods don't provide?

Do you see faster growth then anything else you are using?

Or do you feel they just look healthier?

I'm trying to justify cost and time adding CBW to my list.
All comments very much appreciated.

Kindredspirit
12-13-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking of getting some from "The Worm Man" this time as they're $7 a pound cheaper
Kacey

Wow ~ that is considerably cheaper ya think? Who is this "Worm Man"...Inquiring Minds Wanna Know:)

..talk about a budget ~ I live in Cali ~ so...but Dan is pretty close to Sac...might already have that deal:o

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

Polar_Bear
12-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Wow ~ that is considerably cheaper ya think? Who is this "Worm Man"...Inquiring Minds Wanna Know:)

..talk about a budget ~ I live in Cali ~ so...but Dan is pretty close to Sac...might already have that deal:o

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

I'm not sure if Worm Man's will be cheaper for you or Kacey since they are in Pennsylvannia, but here's the address http://wormman.com . I think Dan's are nicer but I usually get them from Worm Man's or Bill Eagan now (Bill is actually by far the cheapest for me but he is also an hour and half away). I agree with Kacey about Dan's prices, they look great until you get the bill.

White Worm
12-13-2006, 04:44 PM
What a shame. Looked like great info there.

When I hear about CBW I hear people say they are good conditioners for breeders.
Great, but what does that mean exactly?
What is it they provide that other foods don't provide?

Do you see faster growth then anything else you are using?

Or do you feel they just look healthier?

I'm trying to justify cost and time adding CBW to my list.
All comments very much appreciated.
I think live foods are a better source of protein and fat without all the artificial junk added. Also, depending on how the worms were cultured, you could feed amounts of vitamins to the worms which would then be transferred to the fish. I think most of your marketed foods are just for convenience (busy lives we lead). Its cheap to make and they can make a good profit quickly on dried / processed / packaged foods. I dont like the idea of the black worms with all the possible problems surrounding them but I am in the process of setting up cultures for white worms. Its more natural for the discus IMO

dishpanhands
12-13-2006, 05:33 PM

Hope this helps.
http://aquaticfoods.com/

Greg Richardson
12-14-2006, 02:53 AM
Dishpanhands. I'm sorry. Should have said post 4 instead of start of thread.
I was hoping to educate myself more by reading these links below.

California Blackworms information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackworms...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...y;threadid=983

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=3576

Blackworms 101

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=1008

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=3997

CBW
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=3068

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=3718

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=3040

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=1914

temp for blackworm...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...y;threadid=973

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=3609

live food dangerous..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=3022

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=3238

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=2672

Cal Blackworm set up..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...y;threadid=945

Blackworm culture...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=1356

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=3801

sp33dy25
04-01-2009, 01:42 PM
anyone know what happened to aquatic foods?
it keeps sayin link is broken ?

anyone else?

brewmaster15
04-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I just called Dan and made him aware of the problem...he'll be getting his tech support on it asap.. in the meanwhile you may want to email him

3133 N. Argyle, Fresno, CA 93727
(559) 291-0623 -Info
(559) 291-0601 -Fax
blkworm@aol.com (blkworm@aol.com)

HTH,
AL

sp33dy25
04-01-2009, 02:28 PM
thanks al !!

DanCBW
04-02-2009, 07:39 PM
sp33dy25
Thanks for the alert.
Al
thanks for the call.
I wouldn't have noticed it for a day or so.

Dan

RodneyL001
10-13-2009, 06:33 AM
I bought some discus from a sponsor on this site. And although I have tried frozen red worms, frozen brine shrimp, flake beef heart, and Jack Wattley Discus Formula, still they just won't eat. I have had them about a week and a half now. I ordered some CBW's and they are suppose to arrive today. I will let everyone know if they start my fish to eat. They are beautiful fish and I hope to save them.

RodneyL001
12-04-2009, 06:23 AM
My fish love those worms, I think they will be the staple diet for my fish. It is hard to keep thm fresh for an extended period of time. You do have to rinse them every day. I had to buy a little compact refrigerator to keep mine in, becuae the do have an distinct smell, and my wife was about to put me out.

roclement
12-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Rodney,

You will find a lot of arguments pro and con live CBW in any place you post...I love them and have been buying from Dan for a while now, I am now ordering pretty much on a montlhy basis and their customer service is great!

I have great sucess keeping 2 pounds of worms alive for a whole month, in my fridge, with no feeding or odor. I use plastic tuperware containers that are flat and long, no lid, just put a pound of worms in each making sure they are less then one inch in thickness of the layer, and cover them with about 1 inch of water, then rinse and change water daily with cold, de-chlorinated water...it takes a bit of work, about 10 minutes a day but I think it's worth it!

The only thing I would recomend is to feed other foods as well since single source feeding is never the best choice, a varied diet is always best!

By the way, I feed CBW to my corals and fish in my reef tank as well!

Rod

mlb7225
01-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Hello all,

I just got my first shipment of 1 lb of CBW from Dan. I rinsed them off with my R/O water that was at about 65 degrees. It seemed to be a bit awkward for me to do the whole rinsing process. Can anyone share with me there tried and true method of rinsing the CBW upon arrival and also the day to day method?

Thanks,

Mike

nikond70s
01-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Hello all,

I just got my first shipment of 1 lb of CBW from Dan. I rinsed them off with my R/O water that was at about 65 degrees. It seemed to be a bit awkward for me to do the whole rinsing process. Can anyone share with me there tried and true method of rinsing the CBW upon arrival and also the day to day method?

Thanks,

Mike

i just rinse them everyday. just make sure the water is clean at all time. they start dying and smelling if you dont rinse them once/twice a day. and keep them cold put them in the fridge or outside if its cold but not freezing cold that it freezes them. there a lil pain to care for but imho there better than beef heart.

Scott293
03-26-2011, 10:51 PM
As for me... I lost over 50 discus back in the early 90's from feeding live red worms. I even had Mr Watley on the phone trying to help me. That got me out of the hobby for almost 20 years. I'm sorry but I'm going back into it with caution this time. I doubt that I will ever feed a live food again. My discus are doing fine on freeze dried black worms.

William Palumbo
03-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Feed whatever works for you, or whatever you feel safe feeding. BUT...if those worms you fed were "red", then they were Tubifex, and not Blackworms...two different beasts that should not be confused or compared to one another...Bill

Discus Origins
04-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Live blackworms are one of the best, nutritious foods out there.....not just for normal care but for conditioning your fish prior to breeding. They are MUCH cleaner than tubifex and live in water already so there is no fear of them dying and fouling up the water before the fish can eat them. Now, I would not feed them all the time because that will make your fish picky. Variety is key...I rotate foods and feed the blackworms every 3 days.

Care is very easy, as soon as you receive them rinse them in dechlorinated water until the water is just about clear. I catch my RO waste water in buckets and use it for this purpose. You must keep the worms cool....around 40 degrees, I have a small fridge in the garage that I keep my worms in and also chill extra bottles of water. Once they have been in cooled back down, you should only rinse them in chilled water after that. I rinse once a day for the first 3 days after the shipment. After that I do it every 2-3 days, my worms are alive and kicking for up to 3-4 weeks. I don't know if they last any longer than this, I have to reorder by that point.

Mark

TURQ64
07-17-2011, 10:15 AM
I have to second almost everything Mark stated above....As for a further up post, I had a huge (40 tankfuls) loss of Discus many years ago from a supplier who switched tubifex for blackworms on a five lb. order...evry fish succumbed to parasites that I couldn't shake(I was out of the country at the time)...But, I have no problems now feeding Blackworms live to my wild Discus and F1's...I also feed them Freeze-dried, and other flakes and pellets, but they do relish their live foods and the consequent hunt for them....Gary

Darrell Ward
07-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Yep, One of the best foods around, especially for wilds. I use about a pound per week, ordering 2lbs. about every two weeks or so straight from the source (farm fresh) from Dan at Aquatic Foods/California Blackworm Co. Been doing this for probably a year and a half to 2 years.

kaceyo
07-17-2011, 01:14 PM
I had a huge (40 tankfuls) loss of Discus many years ago from a supplier who switched tubifex for blackworms on a five lb. order...evry fish succumbed to parasites that I couldn't shake....Gary

I've noticed that virtually all lfs that carry tubifex will tell you that they have blackworms if you ask for blackworms, then give you tubifex.
When ordering from the internet, I wouldn't get them from anyone other than Dan at Aquatic Foods. That way you're sure of what yo're getting.

DanCBW
07-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys,
For your business and support. I wish I knew everyone's name and be able to remember them.
The Simply Discus Members prices are still in affect at:

Live California Blackworms
1 & 1/4-LB @ 39.95 net
1 & 1/2-LB @ 46.95 net
2-lbs @ 52.95 net
3-lbs @ 69.95 net
4-lbs @ 89.95 net
5-lbs @ 109.95 net
6-lbs @ 119.95 net
Net prices means these are your finale prices delivered to your door.
Please do email direct to blkworm@aol.com

Larger amounts can be quoted, email orders and any questions to Jennifer or myself direct to blkworm@aol.com
We ship via Fed Ex Monday through Thursday for next day delivery.
Spread the word, split or share orders to save $$$

Dan
California Blackworm Co.
http://aquaticfoods.com/Blackworms.html

ZX10R
07-18-2011, 12:46 PM
I know everyone has there opinions on live foods but I have nothing but good things to say about Dan's worms. I buy a few pounds every month or so and I am convinced during that time I feed live blackworms my fish grow faster and show more color. Just my opinion.

TURQ64
07-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Dan's been a great source that you can trust for Blackworm's; no searching around, just good live, fresh supply!..I'm almost out again, and I order faster than the ITrader ratings work.....!..(I back them up with red wigglers, they're just tougher to chew)

joshvito
07-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Dishpanhands. I'm sorry. Should have said post 4 instead of start of thread.
I was hoping to educate myself more by reading these links below.

California Blackworms information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackworms...

Blackworms 101

CBW

temp for blackworm...

live food dangerous..

Cal Blackworm set up..

Blackworm culture...

these links are broken :(

atitagain
07-18-2011, 03:04 PM
these links are broken :(

Probably because they are 9 years old and I'm sure the site has gone through a couple updates.

for the record my fish have flourished once I moved over to Dan's BW. His worms the best available out there his customer service is insane. When I get get to my last days feeding I order another pound and have a new batch the next day. His communication is great, you know when your order ships and you get a tracking number. They are packed well and have always been cold when I opened the box.

Keeping them fresh and clean is completely up to you but it only takes about a minute or two. Like any food if you don't do the right thing with it they will spoil but cleaning them when you get them and rising them once a day is all you have to do to keep them fresh.

I use straight RO but I think I may try the waste water on the batch I receive tomorrow, another pound on the way.

It's like anything else, you will get varied opinions, just do a search on the site and you'll see what I mean. I can tell you factly that if you do a little housekeeping daily the growth rate of your fish will be great and unlike the frozen food you put into your tank and won't foul the water unless you don't have a good WC schedule. These guys stay alive and the fish tear them up!

I've looked at others from LFS, they are dirty and smell, Dan is the best game in town..... well on the net!

DanCBW
07-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Blackworms...

Blackworms 101

CBW

temp for blackworm...

live food dangerous..

Cal Blackworm set up..

Blackworm culture...

Al,
are these threads available?
Can they be activated?
Thanks,

Dan
California Blackworm Co.

phish
11-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Did I miss it? Is there a standard feeding amount? Adults? Juveniles? Pairs? If someone has answered this question on this or another thread, could you please point me there?

Thanks

Charlie

cjr8420
11-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Did I miss it? Is there a standard feeding amount? Adults? Juveniles? Pairs? If someone has answered this question on this or another thread, could you please point me there?

Thanks

Charlie
just like all fish food guess and test til you figure it out but with these overfeeding is not an issue because they stay alive until they are eaten.

trong
03-11-2012, 11:34 PM
i got some freeze dried black worms about 2 weeks ago and my fish seem to just love them. i hate to spoil them (yea right) they are my babies. i'll be trying live soon. thanks dan for the new habit!

Mili
07-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Is blkworm@aol.com still valid e-mail? I have send 2 messages from 2 different emails and still no answer. Itīs been over week now since my first email. Im afraid to call since i dont know how much it costs from Finland :confused:

voiceinthedesert
12-23-2013, 03:10 PM
I emailed them Sunday and got a reply today. They said they are not shipping until after Chirstmas at this point.

Susie
04-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Aquaticfooods cannot fill my order for frozen California blackworms for 4 to 6 weeks. Has anyone had any experience with the other California blackworm grower, Ken's Fish.com?

DanCBW
04-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Hi Sheila
As Jenna was saying, there are only two Blackworm Farms in the USA, both here in California, three in the World.
We supply Ken and have had to put him on hold also due to the Shortage. In fact we're the only one who offers them in Flash Frozen.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?96501-Prices-for-our-Frozen-California-Blackworm-Varieties
We'll be back at it in apx 4 weeks or so.

Dan
Aquatic Foods

musicmarn1
04-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Hey Shelia my friend :) you can get white worms and red wrigglers to grow yourself in the mean time, i came here to pick up some live black worms myself for a lovely treat - but white worms and red wrigglers make ACE food , get them off aqua bid or someone here maybe lots of info on how to do it !

while your waiting for your lovely black worms :)

eddiecheng
05-31-2014, 10:03 AM
blackworms are wonderful foods and so much cleaner then tubifex no wonder theres a shortage as whole world is buying worms from them.

Jimambroz
08-13-2014, 11:19 PM
When you say black worms, these are not the frozen blood worms I use?

Bobstephanos
08-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Blackworms, blood worms ands tubifex worms are all different..

Woodduck
07-22-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm getting ready to order my first CBWs and was wondering how much to order. By comparison feeding - 1lb FBloodWs = x lbs +/- CBWs?

undel
02-11-2017, 09:40 PM
My order of freeze dried blackworms came in yesterday. My discus (and cleanup crew) can't get enough of these. I got the cubes, and there's hardly any that will reach the bottom of the tank. It even got my last hold-out on eating (my discus were shipped 3 weeks ago) to finally take a couple mouthfulls! There's hardly any mess, I love that I don't have to store them in my freezer, and I love that my fish love them. So happy.

anngocta
03-04-2017, 12:47 AM
Are they still in business? I tried calling/emailing/and messaging them here on simplydiscus but no one has responded to me.

warblad79
03-04-2017, 01:57 AM
Are they still in business? I tried calling/emailing/and messaging them here on simplydiscus but no one has responded to me.

Contact them through eBay, they will reponse and probably more active there instead of here.

ktm4us6
03-05-2017, 12:10 AM
I have been keeping my cbw in a 29g tank with a sponge filter and little gravel on the bottom. I feed them shrimp pellets every other day, and change half the water once a week. When I first receive the worms I change the water in the tank everyday to clean them out and wont start feeding them to my discus till the water stays clean in the tank. I have been feeding them to my discus for just under a year with no issues.

blueeyes
10-11-2017, 09:38 AM
I have been keeping my cbw in a 29g tank with a sponge filter and little gravel on the bottom. I feed them shrimp pellets every other day, and change half the water once a week. When I first receive the worms I change the water in the tank everyday to clean them out and wont start feeding them to my discus till the water stays clean in the tank. I have been feeding them to my discus for just under a year with no issues.

Can I ask if they are multiplying or just surviving, I have sent an email to several US companies as I cant get live ones in the UK, would like to start a culture if possible so any help would be great thanks.

brewmaster15
10-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Can I ask if they are multiplying or just surviving, I have sent an email to several US companies as I cant get live ones in the UK, would like to start a culture if possible so any help would be great thanks.

I am sure they will be expensive as this is lab supply house but,,,

https://www.sciento.co.uk/catalog/aquatic-invertebrates/Z189--Lumbriculus%20variegatus%2C%20Blackworms

The good thing is they can be easily propagated by mechanically breaking them into pieces..

You may want to search other lab supply houses as these are used in toxicology experiments very often.

Best,
al

blueeyes
10-11-2017, 01:20 PM
Lol I had a fish that has not eaten for some time so got some of a chap a pre ordered Ģ15 worth got home checked the bag nearly fell over 25 worms not even enough for the fish lol, what do you mean by mechanicly breaking them up many thanks

brewmaster15
10-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Lol I had a fish that has not eaten for some time so got some of a chap a pre ordered Ģ15 worth got home checked the bag nearly fell over 25 worms not even enough for the fish lol, what do you mean by mechanicly breaking them up many thanks

Lol...These worms will mate and reproduce sexually but they also grow into new worms when broken into pieces.

Check outbthe articles by Dr.Charles Drewes...http://www.eeob.iastate.edu/faculty/DrewesC/htdocs/#Lumbriculus variegatus

he has all the blackworm info you will ever need. Probably the worlds foremost expert.
hth,
Al

blueeyes
10-12-2017, 03:37 AM
thanks for the info much app, I have had no luck getting a supply in US to export, maybe beg a US member to post me some over at my expense of course but dont know if it would be feasible or they would survive thanks.

LizStreithorst
10-12-2017, 01:35 PM
You'd just about have to find someone here in the States who was traveling to the UK and could get them to you fast. Even here in the States they have to be shipped overnight to have a good chance of surviving. You'd have too look into the laws about importing them, as well. My nephew lives in London. He visited last week but has already left. If the red tape had worked out in advanced I'd have been happy to send a box of worms with him but it's too late for that, now.

If it's any consolation there have been many hobbyists who have tried to culture these themselves. One guy had a plan that sounded excellent, but even it did not work for him. It's a project that is much easier said than done.

blueeyes
10-13-2017, 04:09 AM
You'd just about have to find someone here in the States who was traveling to the UK and could get them to you fast. Even here in the States they have to be shipped overnight to have a good chance of surviving. You'd have too look into the laws about importing them, as well. My nephew lives in London. He visited last week but has already left. If the red tape had worked out in advanced I'd have been happy to send a box of worms with him but it's too late for that, now.

If it's any consolation there have been many hobbyists who have tried to culture these themselves. One guy had a plan that sounded excellent, but even it did not work for him. It's a project that is much easier said than done.

Thanks very much for your offer that would have been great but I am in Bonny Scotland so they would have to travel overnight again to me , think I will have to give it up as a lost cause , but would have loved to have given them a go