PDA

View Full Version : Fluke Tabs

Lynn
06-18-2002, 01:27 PM
Has anyone used Fluke Tabs?
If so, how did it work out?

I have some and am considering using them if what I am watching gets worse.
I think one of my wild guys may have gill flukes. He is slightly darker in body color and appears to have labored breathing....gills seem to be pumping hard and extending out a little farther. Everyone else in the tank is fine. They all eat well. He shows no other symptoms.
Tank info...75g bb, six wild discus, 86F, pH 6.8, ammonia,
nitrites zero, nitrates not measured. W/c 25% 2x per day.
When I first got them I had the temp at 88F and 1TBS salt per 10g for a week. They had torn fins and some burns. Their color was fine then except for stress bars.
The fins are now healed except for the worse one, his pelvic fins are still a little short.
I've had them for just about 3 weeks. They are very active and healthy looking except for the slightly dark one.
I realize that wild discus will probably have flukes. Do fluke-tabs work? Or should I get some prazi? I plan on watching this a little longer and maybe going back to a salt treatment.
Any thought comments on fluke-tabs and flukes would be apprectiated.
TIA :)
Lynn

Ardan
06-18-2002, 02:49 PM
HI Lynn,
I have used FLuke tabs, not for flukes but for other things and I thought that after several treatments it was hard on the fish , including the fins and it really seemed to affect their apetite.jmo
Prazi for 21 days is shown to be effective if not interrupted in the 21 days. It is also considered to be safer than a lot of meds.
Flubendazole is preferred by some for flukes, but "sometimes" can have an adverse effect on the fish (possibly allergic reaction ) and the fish die.
Here is a link http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1080
The treatment for Prazi that I have seen used for flukes is
1/4 tsp /20 gal, wait 48 hrs change 50% water, then wait 24 hrs, change 50% water, then redose full dose

repeat above until 21 days has passed.

There are other ways people use Prazi also. Keep in mind that Prazi is a dewormer for tapewworm and if the fish have tapeworm, it will come out, so don't be surprised. :)
Here is more info on flukes if you want to read
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1075
hth
Ardan :sunshine:

06-18-2002, 05:17 PM
I have used Fluke Tabs numerous times over the years. Never had any bad problems. Used them on fry 3 weeks old. Used as per container directions. Good results. Do not use at >84F because I understand that the dylox in them is more toxic in warmer water. The fish may appear to be slightly stressed , but not extremely so, at the recommended dosages. Avoid direct contact to your skin.

Mat

Lynn
06-18-2002, 08:25 PM
Thanks,
Mat and Ardan!
I'll let you know what happens!
Lynn

JacKWattleyDiscus
06-19-2002, 09:42 PM
Lynn
Use them in 1/2 dosage. 1 tablet for every 20 gallons. Anything higher could be lethal on discus.
Good luck.
Gabe

06-21-2002, 12:13 PM
I agree With Gabe,
1/2 dose is what I would Use. I  Recommend other Meds Before Fluke Tabs as a Breeder Because All of the discus will fad in Body and Eye Color for up to a week.
Also Trying to get them eating again after treatment
seems to be a problem as well. other then that they seem to work well even on most Protozoan's.
HTH
TakeCare'
Cary Gld!

06-21-2002, 04:12 PM
Question Gabe and Cary:

Do you prolong the treatment when you only half dose the tank?

Other than color fade, I haven't seen any other complications using Fluke Tabs as per package instructions. Unless, of course, you consider killing 7 of 10 albino bushynose plecoes a complication  :o . ( I knew not to teat them, I wasn't thinking when I did it)
I have used them on 3 wk. old fry.

Mat

06-22-2002, 09:22 AM
O-Matt,
O-So true I Myself have wiped out many colonies of busy nose with tabs. I agree they work Well! even on small Discus and fry. from were I stand I hate to see small discus and fry go a few days with eating. it seems IMO that a good % stop eating during and after treatment for up to 4 days. Not sure its a nerve reaction from the med or just plan old stress factor.

I use them at 1/2 dose 85F for 48Hrs. 50% w/c repeat
for second and last treatment.(I try hard not to use them when I can.) I just hate the way they look after treatment along with there poor appetite's
However I have used them many times with out any major Damage!or loss.

HTH
TakeCare'
Cary gld!

Lynn
06-22-2002, 08:09 PM
Thanks Gabe & Cary for the dosage info!
These guys eat everything all the time now, so I don't think it will be much of a problem. I am still trying to get some prazi from the vet, so I may not have to go fluke tabs yet. Everyone looks good, just one pumping the gills a bit harder, his color is no longer dark.
Thanks again! ;D
Lynn

Tin Pusher
11-29-2002, 02:01 AM
So what happened?

Lynn
11-29-2002, 01:59 PM
Tin Pusher,

I did 2 treatments at half dose. Dose, wait 48hrs, 50%wc, second dose. Tabs did knock the flukes off of them for about a month, but they came back. The fish lose all color and look horrible, but they made it through treatment. The next course of action I took was a 3 week prazi treatment. I think (in my limited experience) that prazi,flubenol, or hyde&salt work better. These guys are happy now and eating like pigs.
HTH ;D
Lynn

fcdiscus
11-30-2002, 02:48 AM
I agree with you Lynn. I bet, however, if you used the Fluke Tabs for three weeks at the same dosage, but every seven days, you would have had better results. My personal favorite for Flukes is Flubendazole at 1/8 tsp per 20 gallons every other day for 21 days with a 30-50% WC every day. JMO. Frank

Ardan
11-30-2002, 09:58 PM
HI,
In my experience a prologed use of Fluke tabs leads to lack of appetite, not eating.
Just my experience.
I would prefer prazi or flubendazole for 21 days for flukes.

Ardan