PDA

View Full Version : Chilodonella Parasite

Ardan
05-23-2002, 06:15 PM
The picture of a Discus infested with the parasite Chilodonella is “used with permission from “Handbook of Fish Diseases” by TFH Publications, Inc.”

Chilodonella is a single cell microscopic parasite that attacks a fish skin and gills. The fish will rub against objects and become inactive. *If the gills are affected they will stay near the water surface and gasp for air. Cloudy spots develop on the skin. The skin patches turn white and begin to disintegrate.(usually over a couple day period) This opens the door to secondary infections and/or fungus.
This parasite can swim and can attack other fish in the same aquarium. In aquariums with more fish, it is likely to spread rapidly. Poor water conditions also accelerate this disease. It can be introduced with live foods or from ponds or even on a plant.

Treatment is, according to Dieter Untergasser(1989), best achieved with
a. * * *High Heat= greater than 86 degrees F for more than 5 days will kill this parasite (also stated in “Maintaining a Healthy Aquarium”1985) by Dr. Neville Carrington
b. * * *salt bath (3%= 7.5 tablespoons/gal according to Dr. Neville Carrington(1985), leave fish in until “roll over”, then transfer to clean water) or (2nd method according to Dr. Carrington is 2.5 tablespoons/gallon for 10 to 15 minutes)
c. * * *salt in the aquarium ( helps to prevent secondary infections and to help make the fish more comfortable)=2 tablespoon/10 gallons
or d. * * *acriflavine
or e. * * *malachite green
f. * * *clean water conditions
or g. * * *antiparasitic medications
h. oftentimes a ph of 5.0 to 6.0 will inhibit parasites, * * *inhibit bacterial infections, and increase slime coat on the fish
Sources
Maintaining a Healthy Aquarium by Dr. Neville Carrington, Salamander Books 1985
Handbook of Fish Diseases by Dieter Untergasser, TFH Publications, Inc 1989
hth
Ardan
BTW discussion/comments other treatments/ pics are welcome

Ardan
06-09-2002, 10:52 AM
http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/chilodonella.htm
In this link, microscopic photos are shown. Symptoms include labored breathing, flashing and rubbing, skin cloudiness, loss of appetite, and lethargy. They may lie on the bottom with clamped fins. One treatment of one of the following is usually sufficient. PP, Formalin, malachite, copper or salt.

Hth
Ardan

Ardan
07-18-2002, 06:56 PM
Chilodonella Pic

ChienHsu
02-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Dear Ardan:

My discus are very sick and they look like the picture shown. I started to treat them with GreenEx According to the label, it says that 1 drop/gallon for 3 treatments every other days. But, according to the URL, it says one treatment is enough. I started on Sunday night . Also I did 2/3 WC last night and add the lost concentration of MalaChite Green. The fishes look a little better. They are not gather around at the top of the water, but still very dark. Today, I need to start the second treatment according to the label. But, I am wondering now whether I should do as label suggested or I just simply add the lost concentration of the Malachite green after 2/3 WC.

Another question is should I leave the light off ?

My water condition are:

ph 6.8 (I am not able to bring down the PH. I have tried discus buffer for seachm and vinegar. both are failed)

TDS 220ppm (when the disease began, I have add 1 tblsp salt/10 gallon for about 1 day and increated to 2 tblsp/10 gallon. Both bring up the TDS to as high as 1500. Then I have to stop using salt and do big WC to lower down to the current reading)

Temperature (89F)

Any suggestions are very very appreciated.

Thanks

Chien

Ardan
02-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Hi,
Raise the temp to 94F for 10 days.

Add salt 2 tblsp / 10gal, can go to 1 tblsp/gal if fungus develops.

Watch for worsening fungus or bac infection. Then you may need an antibiotic for secondary infections.

hth