PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Eye

Ardan
05-24-2002, 08:46 PM
Cloudy Eye

The picture below is “used with permission from “Handbook of Fish Diseases” by TFH Publications, Inc

Cloudy eye can be caused by injury to the eye, fungus, bacteria, parasites, but most often due to poor water quality.(Dr. Carrington, Maintaining a Healthy Aquarium, 1985 by Salamander Books)

The recommended treatment is clean water= WC at 50% /day. Salt may be added at 1 to 2 tablespoons/10 gallons aquarium water. Ph may be lowered to 6.0, sometimes helps.
If the eye does not clear or becomes worse, Acriflavine or Methylene blue sometimes helps (Untergasser1989).
Sources
Handbook of Fish Diseases by Dieter Untergasser, TFH Publications, Inc 1989
Maintaining a Healthy Aquarium by Dr. Neville Carrington, Salamander Books 1985

Hth
Ardan
:sunshine:

Steve_Warner
05-25-2002, 12:06 AM
Hi all,
Another condition to add to the list is VERY LOW pH. I had a fish develop a whitish area in the middle of it's eye a couple times, which always tells me the pH has dropped low. I checked it and it was at 3.7........time to raise it up a tad with Calc/Mag.   The fish recovers in a few hours and all is fine!

Steve

Ardan
07-18-2002, 07:02 PM
CLoudy Eye Pic

aziyaeian
12-12-2003, 08:08 AM
thank you for useful information.
but what is the rate of Acriflavine or Methylene blue in the tank?

Ardan
12-14-2003, 05:43 AM
Hi,
Acriflavine can be used at 1 drop / gallon, but it is a dangerous chemical IMO and I have not used it in many yrs, and when I did it wasn't on discus.

Methylene blue can be used until it colors the water blue, 2 drops per gallon and is much safer imo.

hth

wiseone
12-18-2003, 04:12 PM
Same problem i had some!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=14522;st art=0

aziyaeian
12-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Hi
I have had very bad experience with methylen blue. Every time I used it my fishes fall at problems. (Going to corner, don’t eat and etc) and after moving them to fresh water they would be better.
I make the main solution with 1gram/1lit and add 1cc of it to 1 liter.
But about acroflavin I had better experience.