PDA

View Full Version : Disease Transmission

brewmaster15
04-05-2002, 09:03 AM
“Disease *Transmission”,
by Al Sabetta, 3/2002

I was recently asked for information on air-born pathogens and discus, so this weeks discussion is not really on a particular disease but on transmission of disease to and among fish.

When considering how a fish could acquire a disease the first thing we need *to do is remember that *fish are vertebrates *just as humans *are and *the modes of disease *transmission *that *would *infect a human *works the same on *fish.

Bacterial and viral pathogens are passed from fish to fish, much the same as they are in humans. *The difference is a human is often infected when they breath in contaminated air, where as a fish is infected when they breath in contaminated water. For a human the point of infection in these kinds of diseases is the respiratory tract. *From there the pathogen can sometimes spread to attack other areas. *For a fish the initial point of infection is the gill surface. This is where the fish is continuously exposed to pathogen in the water because it is where water is passed over the gills and oxygen is obtained. *This is why fish suffering from bacterial diseases attacking the gills, often breath rapidly of not at all from a gill. * Once the defenses of the gill tissue has been compromised the pathogen can attack other areas as well.

Another way a bacterial or viral pathogen can get in, is thru the skin. Consider the recent anthrax scares, where cutaneous infections of anthrax bacteria were found. *In a water environment similar infections can occur where the bacteria is able to get by the fishes immune responses and protective * slime coats. Once this happens the bacterial colony can florish, and possibly attack other areas.

In the two previous examples a person *afflicted in such a fashion, would be removed *from the general population *to allow *for treatment, and prevent the infection of humans in *contact with the ill one. In a fish tank situation the response needs to be the same, for the same reason, hence we have the creation of hospital tanks.

In addition to these kinds of diseases transmissions there is *one *that makes use *of “fomites”. *Fomites are anything that can carry a pathogen from *one host or location *to another. *An example would be an aquarium hobbyist has 2 tanks. One tank *has and outbreak of *columnaris bacteria. The other tank does not. While doing his treatments in the *disease tank the *hobbyist worries about the medicines killing his plants *so he moves them *to the unaffected *tank! *Days latter the infection has spread to that tank , because the plants acted as fomites and carried *the pathogen into the *new tanks. Technically a * drop of water splashed from one tank to another, or a on a persons *hand going from one tank to another *can spread the pathogens and is a fomite.

Luckily, bacteria that thrive in water, usually do not thrive in the air, so the spread of diseases thru the air among * fish tanks is unlikely. That’s is not to say that a virus or bacteria can not survive long enough in the air to get from one tank to another in a 12X12 room. The dreaded “discus plague” is though to be airborn, by the way it spreads sto rapidly among tanks. The problem here is no one knows the diseases incubation time. If its is like a typical human cold, the fish could have the disease for 24 hours or more before showing symptom. Which means it may not have been airborn, but carried on the hand and equipment of diligent hobbyists cleaning multiple tanks.

Typically parasites are spread from tank to tank on contaminated equipment, hobbyist hands, or the introduction of afflicted *fish *(carriers). In many cases the parasites are external *and the fish being in contact with the *water is all that is required for infection. This is the case with gill flukes, lice, anchor worms, mites, and copepods to mention a few. In other case the parasite has to be ingested by its host. This is the case for many worms. *Keep this in mind when your fish are bottom feeders.

There are also some parasites that will get into the fish in any opening they can find and then make there way to the digestive tract or other areas where they will continue their life cycle. *The digestive tract is ideal because it is a site of *rich nutrients, and offers an easy way *to spread, as eggs or adults in the feces.

Hope this is useful to your understanding of disease transmission. If you ever have any questions on it, apply what you know about illness in people and you’ll have a *pretty good idea as to how disease is spread among the fishes.

Hth,
al

BlueTurquoise
01-12-2003, 11:28 PM
Great post Al,

I just want to continue to elaborate on what my precuations are and hopefully someone may learn something and apply it to their situation:

1) I wash my hands before (thoroughly) and after medling around with the fish tanks, wash them in between fish tanks and particularly if I am doing quarantines or know that there is a disease outbreak in one of my tanks. If there is a problem tank or tanks, I would change water or fiddle with these tanks last, after I have done every other healthy tank, just in case. I also try to keep my fingernails short so that they stay cleaner, you never know!

2) I never mix equipment between tanks. Separate hoses, pythons, buckets, nets, worm feeding cones, filters, air stones, everything. These can serve to transmit diseases to and from your tanks.

3) Try to keep my equipment as clean as possible by rinsing them in cold tap water after use and store everything dry. I try to dry out my nets and hoses as much as I can (refer to Al's info about how diseases don't like to be dry :) ) I store my buckets upsidedown to try to get the water out too.

4) if the need arises, I try to sterilize equipment by using potassium permanganate and dipping the equipment in for a good rinse. Be careful with this stuff though, it stains and it is potent!

There you are, some short pointers on what I do. Of course you don't have to go as far as me (heh), but as the old cliche goes, the cleaner the better! Please feel free to post any other precuations that you take or post best practice advice that you may have, or even to correct me on my points!

I have a question then, can some fishy pathogens like tape worm be transmitted to humans? I have alway worried about this. I deworm myself and Jenny every 6 months just in case, is it good practice or am I worried for nothing?
Chong

brewmaster15
01-12-2003, 11:33 PM
have a question then, can some fishy pathogens like tape worm be transmitted to humans? I deworm myself and Jenny every 6 months just in case, is it good practice or am I worried for nothing?
Chong

Hi Chong!, Thats highly unlikely. Most tapeworms require very specific hosts. You can however pick up tapewormd that a cat or dog might get!

One thing you should be aware of are Zoonosis... diseases that animals and fish get that you can get. Theres lots of info on it... but heres some.....

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/zoonoses/Zoonoses.htm

hth,
al

BlueTurquoise
01-12-2003, 11:39 PM
Al,

Phew! that's good to hear.. about the tape worm not the Zoonoses!

Chong

dm
01-12-2003, 11:51 PM
This is some great information. Thanks Brew for taking the time to post it.

01-13-2003, 01:50 AM
Al,
Dang good info.

Miles

Smokey
01-13-2003, 03:53 AM
Very, very interesting post, al.

Like they say- " Cleanlyness is next to - Godlyness!"

And people wonder why we spend so much time on the discus and their tanks !!!

Thanks for posting your information.

Smokey
( Keep it coming ).

lkleung007
01-13-2003, 10:40 AM
As always Al; a wonderful and very educational read!! ;)

Keep them coming!!

Lester

fossil
01-13-2003, 05:29 PM
The only way you could get a tape worm from your discus could be if you eat your discus and do not cook them all the way through. ( so no worry there, I hope ;)) Discus and many other fish can be what are called carriers, they carry the worm or egg but aren't effected by it. Say if you did eat your discus and did not cook it all the way through- you could have eaten some eggs that can lay dormant in your discus(+other fish) for 1 year untill they find a warm blooded host to live in (you). That is why you must watch your dogs and cats very well cause if they ate one and that discus had tape worm eggs they would prob get a tape worm :(

sighns of tape worms- slow loss in weight, many stomach achs

lesson learned here- DON'T EAT YOUR DISCUS

HTH

BlueTurquoise
01-13-2003, 07:04 PM
LOL! i was more referring to tape worm eggs and transmission through fecies and when we clean up their tanks. But that is a very funny way to put it!

Chong

Skip
01-15-2014, 10:27 PM
I clicked LAST.. so this is where it took me... you're welcome

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1169/necroposting.jpg