PDA

View Full Version : Discus Keeper's Poll

DarkDiscus
04-12-2002, 11:46 AM
Just wanted to see what kind of people make up discuskeepers.  Thought this is a good way to start.  As for me, I am currently Married, Fish.  Working my way slowly up to menagerie level!

John

darcy
04-12-2002, 07:44 PM
Well we have a menagerie around here and Every morning I'm surprised to wake up and not find myself poisioned or  my throat slashed :o :o :o :o :o :o!!

Actually my wife is fairly  easy going and she is slowly coming around to my way of thinking... I hope ;) ;).

But I think I'll quit pushing her after my next fish order!!!

Darcy

Carol_Roberts
04-12-2002, 09:58 PM
I think the majority of discus keepers have nuturing personalities.  

We all surround ourselves with kids and dogs and cats - and a good percentage open their homes to birds,  reptiles,  and even stranger pets. . . . .

Carol :heart1:

04-12-2002, 10:14 PM
You are sooooo right Carol....
;)

I wonder what category I fit in.....

one husband
one child
2 grandchilren
4 dogs
2 cats
1 hamster (named Juju 85..don't know...one of the kids came up with it!)
I think I have lost count of the fish!

Terrl

bmrin1
04-14-2002, 04:40 PM
John,
I have the following:
1 wife (mor than enough of those)
1 Dog
3 Cats
2 Birds
14 Rabbits
13 Discus
several Killi fish
And the best yet
1 little discus lover to be here end of June
Brian

Carol_Roberts
04-14-2002, 04:55 PM
Hi Brian:
You think you love your pets now?  It doesn't hold a candle to your kids and grandkids.  You're in for the experience of your life.  Let's us know when your little discus lover get here.  Do you know yet boy or girl?
Carol :heart1:

karinS
04-18-2002, 08:17 PM
Well we have four granddaughters,and four dogs, two cats four horses, about 20 cockteils, 2 african ringnecks, 4 quakers and a few other birds that we breed. I think at the moment we have about 16 Discus also kribs, neons. The 22nd. of this month we are going to Vancouver to see April so we will probably be coming home with some more Discus. Will it ever stop I hope not. Have a good one. Karin & Harry. ::) ::) ::) ::)

April
04-18-2002, 10:05 PM
whoa Karin! YOu will fit right in next week! I can put you to work grooming dogs!
Lol I have 2 kids.....no significant other..... one dog...one cat....... three rabbits..... 4 lizards....a "few fish" ! oh and alot of petsitting dogs coming and going! All in a two room house!
oh and our little skunk who traipses up and down the alley uninvited! cute......but ..... ;D
well I guess I dont have to worry about you being allergic to dogs then........right?
can't wait !!!
oh JOhn you need another category. i guess i can put the married kids and pets one.....but not!so,.you need mom and kids or dad and kids etc.I'll just choose the one with the most pets!

DarkDiscus
04-19-2002, 06:16 AM
April,

I knew I missed some, but there are only 8 slots!  I will say that the poll goes to show that discus people are generally family people and they generally have lots of animals.  That makes a lot of sense and is why "animal" people in general make for good friends and for good significant others.  We love to have people and animals we love around us.

In general...

John

karinS
04-19-2002, 07:56 PM
Sorry April We don,t groom dogs on our vacation ;D ;D But we would love to sit and watch you. ::) ::) Anyway we will see you on Monday and go from there. Have a good one. Karin&Harry :) :)

April
04-19-2002, 08:07 PM
Ok then Karin your off the hook! I will get my work done fast so we can play fishie and check out vancouver! sound better? ;D
im off on Monday!!

jaspertyler
04-25-2002, 08:38 PM
HI.  I just wanted to add to the topic since I responded to the poll.  Here's my household:

Me
3 cats
7 discus
11 cardinal tetras
a million platys (they KEEP REPRODUCING)
2 brachardis
1 yellow lab
3 angels
2 gouramis
2 plecos

Glad to meet you all and your families :)
Lana

luvfishies
05-29-2002, 06:12 PM
Me, 2 cats, 13 tanks.....no significant other....

Oh, and too many dust "bunnies"!

DarkDiscus
05-30-2002, 05:59 AM
Luvfishies,

Welcome to DiscusLand!

You and all your fishies!

John

05-31-2002, 05:56 AM
Most of the discus keepers I've met are also pets owners of dogs, cats, bird of some sort and they're terrific gardeners too. They're a bunch of creative hobbyists. Most of them has  their own unique ways of keeping their prize possessions. Very interesting group of people. There's no classification Between them based on income, religion and political believes.
1 cat
1 bird
1 rabbit
2 dogs (baby sitting for my niece), too busy partying
100 Plus Cichlids
2 Goldfish (my daughter's. Who's keeping them?)
20 discus tanks. overstock with only 3 gal/per fish. But I love them all.
JimmyL.

nofathicks
06-21-2002, 02:55 AM
I voted Married, fish, but I will have to change the vote in December, as we have our first child on the way!  :bounce: :thumbsup: :love: ;D ;D ;D

DarkDiscus
06-21-2002, 07:14 AM
NFC,

Congratulations!  

John

scottwheels
06-21-2002, 07:49 AM
John, there's me, Ari, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 14 discus (at the moment), 9 goldfish, a tank full of australian natives and tetras (BIG tetras - not neons!!) and a lime fisher parakeet.  Its taken us 3 years to accumulate!  Ask this question again in another 3 and there will be kids and a lot more discus!!!     ;D ;D

Cheers, Scott

BTW darcy, is that a snowflake in your pic??  Man I could do with one of those!!

kdiao
06-21-2002, 10:20 AM
I guess I am a miniority here.
I am single and my only pet is fish.
;D

John_Nicholson
06-21-2002, 01:44 PM
1 wife
3 daughters
8 dogs (but one is bred)
5 wild hogs
a few cows
about 1000 angelfish
discus population varies greatly.
NO cats.  Can't stand them.

-john

Goldfish_in_a_bowl
06-23-2002, 09:27 AM
Okay.... I have gone over my choices several times and I am not listed! :-[ ???
Three beautiful boys who are perfect just ask me! ROTFL
Fish, eels, newts, frogs, way too many aquatic illnesses to list....
Three Rottweilers
Two NEVER shut up birds! >:(
and a CAT! that I am sure could not stand you either Nicholson! ;D
Okay so I will have to go with whats behind curtain number Three Bob!
None of the above.
Karen :gorgeous:

April
06-23-2002, 09:55 AM
hi ms. goldfish or sponge bob.....you and I are in the same category!!!!!!!!!!!      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

John_Nicholson
07-01-2002, 03:53 PM
So April does that mean that you have a cat that hates me to?

And Red I am sure your cat would love me.....

-john

April
07-01-2002, 08:11 PM
yes john.....i have a cat.....not sure if he even is capable of opinions though.........but I will show him your pic in a dress and see how he reacts.........how's that?
;D

John_Nicholson
07-02-2002, 07:19 AM
April it works for me.

-john

Rich_Long
07-03-2002, 09:10 AM
I don't know if I'm eligable, since I do not have any discus right now. But for what it's worth, managerie fits me (us) very well.
2 dogs  
cat
8 tanks
koi pond
snake
turtles
rabbit
3 teenagers
oh and I'm married (22 years)

Braco
07-11-2002, 07:54 AM
Well yes i think all fish keeping aquarist is good people... :sunshine: even though there are times when we make scarifices that could lead to our own termination by our loved ones... :argue: i think the joy of the hobby is still very much alive...and when they see the excitement beaming from our accomplishments it`s just AWESOME... :heart1:

My wife she enjoys it to a certain extend...so does my
1 dog
8 cherry barbs
3 corys
8 discus
20 cardinals
6 angels
and a whole lot of platies & guppies which i keep to start of the young ones in my area... :)

I love it , i love breeding them , rearing them and to see how they grow into well balanced healthy discus.

From Braco :D

we keep water not fish , fish keep fish we are aquarist not fish-arist...

breed_beyond
07-16-2002, 05:40 PM
you forgot to add one for none married people with kids, and lots of pets, lets see, 1 dog 4 cats 7 fish tanks and 2 boys, and the g/f.....

07-16-2002, 06:06 PM
Hey I missed this thead some how and wanted to put in my $0.2
lets see,
1 wife (Tracey)
1 daughter (Christine)
1 dog (golden retriever)
3 cats (a huge Maine coon), a Calico, and a "just cat"
Way to many discus to count
and all of my daughters pets, hermit crabs, frogs, etc
Randy

NoizChip
07-16-2002, 09:24 PM
Hi All,

It's just me;
5 tanks with 30 Discus;
A variety of Plecos, Cardinal Tetras, Plants, Ghost shrimp, and a few other small tetras;
House is typical bachelor but the tanks look great; I have my priorities.

Chip

limige
08-09-2002, 11:03 PM
humm, well lets see,

divorced so i'm single
umm 3 tanks up and runnning 4 more stashed here and there
1 rabbit
5 angles
1 plec
8 discus

so basically i have many fish, one rabbit and no women....oh well, bring on more fish ;D

ps i would get another rabbit but then i might be forced to start umm, managing the population, generation by generation, hehe, anybody got some good recipies lol.

j/k i don't think i could with my pet

08-10-2002, 05:23 AM
;D
nice topic,
i have 1 girlfriend
4 cats
3 tanks, soon to be 5.
with
30 discus (20 small ones)
3 goldfish.
6 clownloaches
4 ancistrus
10 cory's
red nose rummys and some other stuff
for the 3 room apartment we have, more than enough...
regards,
martin

aloha_discus
08-18-2002, 05:59 PM
We have , wife and I

5 dogs, 2 chihuahuas the rest muts

2 cats fat ones

about a half dozen squrriels eating my sweet corn

27 Discus and lots of fry

and if you let my wife we could triple everything we have ;D ;D ;D

RAWesolowski
08-20-2002, 12:36 AM
Let's see:

1 wife
2 grandchildren
6 godlings (non-gender term for godchildren)
7 discus
10 Jumbo neons
6 gold neons
1 pleco
2 checkered cats
1 oto

past owners of 4 shelties
breeding parakeets and cockatiels

News of the day is that my wife fed beef heart for the first time tonight! I'm on the road and had to coach her for the grow-out tank... I think I owe her big time (actually that is a quote from her!)

ronrca
08-27-2002, 02:22 PM
Well, I must be the strange one then (doesnt surpise me). Most people, if not all have more pets than just fish.

- Married and can't win my wife over to love fish as I do.
- 4 tanks w/ 9 cardinals, 1 german ram, 1 sae, 2 ottos, 1 dwarf rainbow, 1 honey gourami, millions of snails,
- 3 Red Turquoise, 1 Tangerine Dream, 1 Blue Diamond and hopefully soon 10 Red Turquoise Fry.

Thats it! No cats (hatem), no dogs (toleratem), no birds (forget it) or any other critter that lives out of water (I have renters in the basement, does that count?).

TOMMY
08-29-2002, 11:11 AM
Tank one
- 6 discus
- 6 corys different strains
- 7 clown loaches
- 1 skunk loach
- 1 pleco
- 2 upside down cats
- 1 banjo cat
- 2 serpaes remaining (I can't get rid of...too fast to catch)

Tank two
- 3 crown-tail male bettas blue, purple, cream

Tank three
- 2 discus that refuse to breed (on strike)

Tank four
- 6 angels
- 5 glass knives
- 1 black ghost
- 2 weather loaches
- 1 black neons (fat)
- 3brilliant rasboras
- 1 black tetra 2 white
- 4 scissor tails
- 1 some kind of flat catfish

On the floor
- 1 weather loach (I lose one everytime it rains!)
- 2 male cats (one is a fat polydectile with 26 toes total)

That's it for now! Tank 5 coming up pretty soon. Well actually.....does anyone here need a queen sized 4 poster bed????!!!! I am now moving to the couch.

-Tom-

DarkDiscus
08-29-2002, 04:50 PM
Tom,

Sounds like quite the happy home. Lots o fish and some very full cats...

Full of weather loach, that is...

John

TOMMY
08-29-2002, 04:59 PM
Yeah for now. Thanks. But once I get the pair to breed the community tank is up for adoption (residents). I plan to strip it down to bare bottom and raise the young discus.
The pair use to mate regularly in the discus tank but now in solitaire they don't! They water parameters are the same, temp, filtration. Everything is the same except for the absence of gravel, plants and the Malaysian driftwood.
What do you think is wrong? It's been a month already.

RealFish
08-29-2002, 05:16 PM
One wife too many
One 6 year old son (good reason for the wife)

3 tanks (including hospital)
7 Discus
20 Cardinal Tetras
5 SAEs
5 Corys

2 Golden Retrievers
1 Badly neglected hamster

TOMMY
08-30-2002, 09:53 AM
Guess that your wife doesn't support your discus habbit!!

bokgrasul
08-30-2002, 03:30 PM
I have :
- 1 girl-friend (i see that everybody has one of that and some discus ) ;D
-1 Dobermann (named BUCKS)
-1 Pit-Bull (named Ares - very sweet)
-3 discus tanks (2 more under construction)
-1 parrot (Kou-kou-Ruku)
-1 younger brother

mrespo
09-07-2002, 06:33 PM
Well, I'm new to this group so I thought this would be as good a time as any to introduce myself. I've been a keeper for about five years but only recently discovered my true addiction was breeding. I have a pair of Blue Diamonds I've been working with and each spawn goes a little better than the last. So maybe someday. . .

I do believe that Discus keepers, as well as any pet owner, are nurturing by nature. This is very true for me. My wife and I have three children, two gerbils, seven Discus, a whinny little lap dog named Princess, and to top it all off, we are both Registered Nurses. So talk about nurturing personalities- oy!

Anyway, thanks for listening, or reading, actually. My Blue Diamonds are starting to spawn at this moment so I'm gonna take a moment to watch. :bounce2:

See ya all later.

Ralph
09-08-2002, 12:25 AM
12 discus
14 hatchets
9 lemon tetra
1 iguana
9 green fire tetras
1 son
2 rams
3 kinkajous
7 cories
1 tree frog
22 rummy nose tetras
21 pencilfish

RandalB
09-08-2002, 12:55 AM
1 Wife (thinks I'm nuts)
2 Kids (1 2.5 year old Girl 4 month old boy only waking up once a night WooHoo!)
2 Shelties
7 tanks totalling 220 gallons (4 more I have'nt gotten around to setting up yet)
16 Discus (got a new one today Hooray!)
12 Angels
couple of dozen fish no one on this forum cares about
Several dozen killifish eggs I ordered before I got so into discus that are due to hatch at the end of the month (Oh Crap more water to change!)
and still counting.......

RandalB

DarkDiscus
09-09-2002, 10:25 AM
Randall,

Sounds like a pretty good set up! Could use a FEW more discus, though!

;D

John

TOMMY
09-09-2002, 10:33 AM
I could use more discus too! It's just that nobody wants to buy my 4 poster bed! That is the only way I can make room for another tank..... Or I will just set up one of those swimming pool things like Cary has in his backyard! :P

-Tom-

ronrca
09-10-2002, 03:59 PM
Same here, Tommy! I would love more discus. I would love more tanks but well, Im slowly convincing my wife! ;D I mentioned that I want to get a 65G (when I have saved enough money), get rid of our oversized desk and get a smaller one (half the size) and build a stand. She didnt throw anything at me or say too much. So, that means a maybe yes! Thats all I need. :smash:

TOMMY
09-10-2002, 04:07 PM
Try getting a 72g bowfront! Now that is a piece of real furniture! ;D ;D ;D Everyone will appreciate that look.
When I got mine the whole place looked totally different!
My next one is the 100+ bowfront (the one big enough to take a bath in!)
Good luck in convincing your wife! Just make sure when you visit the tank store to stop by the Jewelry store as well! 8)

-Tom-

DarkDiscus
09-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Tom,

Bribes are definitely effective. When I get a real house and start my fishroom, I plan on offering nice antique pieces for tanks on a one for one basis! We have to be fair, here!

;D

John

TOMMY
09-10-2002, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't necessarily consider it a bribe! More like a mutual gain kinda thing! ;) If you collect antiques there are nice tanks out there by AGA that look like old bookcases, etc.
That will go very well with the furniture.

Keep us posted on how it works out! :thumbsup:

-TOm-

RandalB
09-10-2002, 07:35 PM
John,
Make that 8 tanks totaling 260 gallons. The wife made the mistake of being out of the house this morning! Time for more baby discus. It's great to be able to walk into a store and pick out some from wattley!

RandalB

DarkDiscus
09-11-2002, 09:01 AM
Randall,

I am VERY envious! By the way, what did you get and do you have any pics?

I will be back in Florida in December (Christmas in Florida. It should really be illegal) and plan on another trip to visit Gabe. Plus the in-laws want to have him and Jerry Baer over for dinner...

John

TOMMY
09-11-2002, 12:43 PM
Congratulations Randal! That's my kinda guy! I mean what are they going to do anyway? Move it out to the yard?
I would do the same but nobody wants to buy my antique bed for sale. In its place I will invest in a folding futon and probably a wall of 55s and another wall of 30s.

-Tom-

Tony
09-15-2002, 07:33 PM
1 wife
2 boys
1 cat (very cute, so cute that it manage to get away with several murder)
2 golden retriever
17 discus (the cat keep on finding ways to take them out, casualty count is 3)
4 gold fish (2 are 6yr old, practically the first fish I kept.
5 bristle nose
3 pleco
4 clown loaches
5 cory
5 serpae tetra
3 rummy nose
2 white cloud
5 guppy
(unknown number of pest spider, mice/rat in the roof and basement, wild life birds possiums in the backyard... the attrition war is going to the cat flavour)

TOMMY
09-16-2002, 10:59 AM
How does the cat get into the tank? Don't you have lids? Even if you did, I know of cats that can open drawers to inside and sleep in!

-tom-

cgrim10
09-24-2002, 03:43 PM
1. 1 wife
2. 2 kids at home (total 6)
3. 5 potlicking dachsund/chihuaha dogs
4. no cats/thats what the dogs are for
5. 35 discus

DarkDiscus
09-24-2002, 04:38 PM
Craig,

You definitely belong in the menagerie category!

John

Serpae
09-26-2002, 05:47 PM
No Wife!
No Kids!
Money to burn, oh well, spend on fish stuff!

Oh well, might as well add the other stuff.

5 Shetland Sheepdogs
1 Rough Coat Collie
Peackocks
Golden Pheasants
Chukar Partridge
Australian King Parrots
Varied Lorikeet's
White-plumed Honey Eater's
Crested Bronzewing Pidgeons (Aust Native)
King Qual
Diamond Doves, Talpocotti Doves, Aust Peacefull Doves.
Cockateils (Used for handraising as pets)

Now for the fish!

Discus, Serpae Tetra, Lemon Tetra, Bristlenose Cats, Marble and Blackwinged Hatchetfish, Black Knife Ghost Fish, Elephant Nose, Butterfly fish, Platties (as feeders), Thomasi Thomasi, Nothobranch, Australian Rainbow's, Northern Trout Gudgeon, Brown Knife Ghost Fish, Farlowella Cat's, Red Capped Orandas, umm that's about it for the moment until I get my South African Palerdium finished and I can track down other species that I am hunting for.

Oh, and Bob the Budgie.

Coetz
09-27-2002, 06:54 AM
Hey guys,
Well I think I am the odd one out, I am 15 and I have NO other pets but a couple of discus and a few other fish. I guess teenagers also keep discus.
Have fun everyone... 8)

DarkDiscus
09-27-2002, 09:06 AM
Coetz,

I guarantee that you DO have other pets... They are called PARENTS!

;)

Keep them in line!

John

Serpae
09-27-2002, 09:28 AM
I like that one, lshmsh. :thumbsup:

TOMMY
09-27-2002, 11:07 AM
Yeah and don't let them get outta line either! :whip: :whip: :whip: :smash: :smash: :smash:

-Tom-

DarkDiscus
09-27-2002, 11:58 AM
Tom,

I see you got rid of the MY in TOMMY!

;)

John

TOMMY
09-27-2002, 12:08 PM
Yeah, it makes me sound like a kid or something.
BTW I lost my discus picture. Can you help me put up a new one on my profile?

-Tom-

DarkDiscus
09-27-2002, 12:16 PM
Tom,

Ask Al or Ryan. I can't access personal files as a moderator, I only get to delete/modify posts and that sort of thing.

John

nalah
10-03-2002, 05:36 AM
I just found this thread....
glad to see I'm not the only "animal mad" one hear.

ok,lets go..
1 x husband....hates fish - Tom
1 x daughter....also hates fish.. :waaa: - Michele
2 x persian cats- Jamie and Anna
1 x sheperd X ...my best mate :love: - Jerry-Lee
2 x cockatiels - Harley and Lilly
1 x red-collared lorikeet - Nalah
2 x rainbow lorikeets - Rizo and Zazou
1 x mexican walking fish - Mr Happy
1 x pair bristle nose + about 10 babies
2 x tanks...... i will get more,never fear...
12 x discus
2 x female fighters
1 x male fighter...lucky boy...lol

and we've had a few other pets that we have managed to smuggle in without hubby finding out about... ;D
mice
scorpians
whistling spider.... who is at the moment,running wild somewhere in the house.
and I've rescued a few birds along the way,from sleezzy pet shops.
So yes..i do love animals.

Pascale

DarkDiscus
10-03-2002, 09:39 AM
Pascale,

Quite the hoarde you have there! I bet the CATS like the fish, at least!

Seriously, how can ANYONE hate fish? You can just not care about them, but they are SO cute!

;)

John

TOMMY
10-03-2002, 11:22 AM
I agree with John. Most of my discus are extremely fond of me and even enjoys being pet! First they come up to me and I pet the top, then they lay sideways and I pet the side. Then he swims around for more... I love my babies!

-Tom-

nalah
10-03-2002, 03:10 PM
Hi John,
this may sound weird.... but i spread my affection evenly to them all. So no,the cats don't notice the birds. Unfortunately,its the other way around. Nalah (lorri) is a male. Very,very jealous - attacked Tom and Michele if they come close to me. If the cay comes too close,it too,is in deep trouble....LOL
I got him when he was very young and was told it would be female... :-\. hence the name nalah and i still call him...my little girl..LOL
The intelligence of these birds is amazing...she says....
"give me a kiss".-..makes kissing sounds and comes to kiss you.
says "i love you" -then rubs herself on you.
if i say" can i have some",she'll give you some of her food.

Tom,
I love all my discus also. I dont see them as "just fish"

There's a rule in my home - If you don't like animals,dont bother visiting me"..........LOL

TOMMY
10-03-2002, 03:29 PM
I used to have a 'selection' of pills on a big plate at the entrance of my apt. for people who were allergic to my cats. ;D

-Tom-

nalah
10-03-2002, 03:54 PM
LOL Tom,thats funny.

One thing this poll shows - if more people had pets,the world would be a better place.

I have certain beliefs (wont go into it here).Pets are not just animals. They are equal to humans....
I strongly believe that they have emotions,they have feelings,they feel pain..... they just happen to come in different packages

pascale

TOMMY
10-03-2002, 04:01 PM
I agree.....but there is a place where I draw the line though.
It's where they claim that we belong to them as in...cats!
I've nothing against them....as a matter of fact I have two. But I will not let someone tell me that they own me, etc. etc.
I'm sorry but I will always be the "top dog" in my house! :P

-Tom-

DarkDiscus
10-03-2002, 04:24 PM
Pascale,

I do think that if you raise animals to be part of the family they will get along. My cats and dog used to hang out together and groom each other. I had a parakeet (budgie) that used to ride around on the dog. My cats watched the fish but never bothered them.

Yep. I believe it.

John

nalah
10-03-2002, 04:45 PM
Tom,I agree with you - you are the boss. you have to be.
i have a very large puppy...he's 8 yo..LOL.
when we play,we're equal. but when i mean business....he knows whos in charge... all animals do...

When i say...."pets own me",its because i do the running around for them all...I'm the slave... they just sit back,relax,and get waited on...a bit like my husband actually...LOL ;D ;D ;D

John,I'm very lucky. all get on well. its not unusual to see wild birds in the yard,my cats and the dog,all enjoying the fresh air.

Pascale

GA Freshwater
10-08-2002, 08:01 PM
1 wife (25 years)
4 Marlboro Discus (2 weeks)
1 Maltese Dog (7 years)

DarkDiscus
10-09-2002, 10:12 AM
GA,

Re post to this thread in a year or so... I bet there will be more discus on that list!

:o

John

Kevin
11-06-2002, 09:29 PM
Lets see
A great wife
2 fine daughters all grown up
2 dogs, if you count a Chuahua as a full dog
2 Eclectus
1 Sculacuta tortose
a pair of canaries
alot more than 2 Discus.
Life is good, love is better, Discus are iceing.
Thank you to Rocky Mountain for getting me back into Discus.
Thank you Simply Discus, for a great web site.
K.

DarkDiscus
11-07-2002, 11:38 AM
Kevin,

Sounds like you are definitely in the menagerie category!

John

mustysushi
11-07-2002, 04:29 PM
1 Wife
3 kids
2 %$!@ dogs
7 discus (more to come!!!)
1 pleco (1 died a few days ago)
1 stingray
1 catfish

I used to keep different types of lizards, but don't have any at the moment.

Ivan
11-08-2002, 06:27 PM
HI ALL
7XdISCUS (dUE TO LACK OF TANKS)
10XCARDINALS
1XRUMMYNOSE
2XBRISTLENOSE
1XNANNACARA ANOMELA
9XCORYDORAS
3XBLEEDING HEART TETRAS
4XSERPE TETRAS
3KHULI LOACH
4XCONGO TETRAS
1XBIG FAT PLEC!
1XRABBIT
50XPOND FISH (GOLDIES)
1X3Lb KOI (NO IDEA WHERE IT CAME FROM)
1XWIFE ~ MANDY
2XKINDERS ~ DECLAN AND MAYA
VARIOUSE SPIDERS CRAWLING ROUND THE HOUSE.
IVAN

DiscoDoc
11-13-2002, 04:42 PM
I share my living space with:

4 dachshunds

3 cats

14 exotic parrots (macaws cockatoos amazons greys)

5 teenagers

1 loving wife

1 invalid mother-in-law

1 koi pond with 30 koi

15 discus

I spend equal amounts of $ on car insurance as I do on animal or people food.Great poll.

Doc

DarkDiscus
11-13-2002, 04:45 PM
With those parrots I hope you have earplugs as well! They sure are loud!

;)

John

dm
11-14-2002, 08:23 PM
I thought I already replied to this but I guess not.
here is what I have:

One girlfriend
One Dog
Two Cats
Two Rabbits
Two birds
Three Turtles
Three Frogs
Six Discus
A whole bunch of other tropicals
Another whole bunch of Goldfish and Koi in the pond.

Can you believe the house is silent right now? I think it must be everones nap time.

SoloDiscus
11-15-2002, 01:01 PM
One Wife
One Dog
Three Tanks only because of wife

Owning Discus....................Priceless

jklnbrg
11-15-2002, 05:57 PM
Interesting combinations! I have:

0 - discus (setting up 150 gallon for purchases in late December or early January)

1 - 75 gallon planted tank. CO2 injection, Compact Fluorecent lights, Un known numbers of various Apistogramma Species

3 - Kids in college

3 - Kids at home

1 - wife

1 - Cockatiel because they aren't allowed in my daughters apt

1 - Yellow Lab pup

2 - Sailboats (when I told my wife I was starting up with Discus she asked if I was going to spend less time sailing. I said nope... just going to spend more money! (she tolerates me very well)

John

BLUEKNIGHT
11-25-2002, 11:06 PM
Im 18.
got 4 tanks.
2 gold dragons.(pr)
2 Blue diamonds.
1 green diamond.
HB yellow guppies. about 50 or so.
a lot of apistos.about 5 - 10 different species.
corys. should be getting more tanks if my parents let me.
I just started college.

alisonty
11-28-2002, 01:46 AM
-i just turned 21...(yesterday...woohooo!)
-still in college...... :-[
-2 tanks ( 20 gal - feederfish/goldfish, 46 gal- waaay better looking fishes-->especially with one discus!!)
-fiancee-->need to plan wedding...uhh!
-would love to have a dog-->but it is a no no in an apartment
-WANT MORE DISCUSES!!! :bounce2:

ALI

DarkDiscus
12-02-2002, 05:53 PM
Ali,

I agree! Life is busy, but you can always use more discus!

John

mench
12-03-2002, 07:34 PM
My turn
1-wife
0-girlfriends..wife won't let have any...yet,if I keep bothering her,maybe.....
4- kids...all married,thank GOD
3-grandkids
3-old cars..ok so they aren't alive,but they are my "pets"
1-Rottie dog,had 2,one passed away this year
16- tanks set up...so far
LOTS of discus
some albino bristlenose plecos,trying to breed them
thats it for now.

Mench

midnight1
12-10-2002, 03:35 PM
used too breed angels about 15 years ago so just started with fish again - finally!!

married with 2 little girls
36 nieces and nephews
5 grand nieces and grand nephews
self employed
currently 4 tanks but once my fish room is done should be around 50 tanks (already have most in the garage from before) with room for another 50+ tanks
love fishing (never hunted - no time)

my goal is too get back into breeding angels and hopefully start breeding discus - just starting too collect the parents of the future.

p.s. - i'm known as a work-a-holic

DarkDiscus
12-10-2002, 03:43 PM
Midnight,

Just started again and planning for 50 tanks?!??

Wow, you've got it BAD!!

;)

Good luck!

John

midnight1
12-10-2002, 03:53 PM
well i already own 10 55's about 30 29's a few 10's a 110 a 130 a 150 and a couple of small odd ones - the beauty of it is if i get my fish room done then my wife gets her spot back in the garage(where the tanks are sitting now - lol) - a win/win situation - imo. i get my fish room and she gets her parking spot (pretty important during wisconsin winters).

any suggestions where too get high quality fish stock too start with for both discus and angels??? i want too get them from several different sources since i can't believe that one guy has the best of all different discus varietys. not sure what i want but i do want some blue diamonds for sure.

i bought some tangerines and some blue spotted snakeskins so far - tangerines very beautiful snakeskins hard to tell since they aren't showing much color yet but shape looks great. both are about 3 months old.

paul

DarkDiscus
12-10-2002, 05:01 PM
For angels I would talk to Jeff Richard who posts here and seemed to have some nice fish when I saw them at the NE Discus meeting.

For Discus, any of the breeders listed on this site should be able to help. They have some nice fish! Lots of different types to choose from and high quality. Do your research and you will be fine!

It sounds like you are in for some real fun in the next little while!

Good luck!

John

black_bullet
01-11-2003, 05:40 AM
Ummm...I think mine is a pet obsession ;D I have 21 tanks only 4 discus ones though, ah well working on getting more ;) 2 horses, 2 st bernards, 3 cats, 1 cornsnake, 1 bearded dragon and a BF. I orginally got into discus when the owner of the LFS I worked for decided to rip down his tanks at home and make display tanks at the shops...had a beautiful 125G planted discus tank so I had to have some of the lovelies :)

ReeferKimberly
02-18-2003, 09:50 PM
one dad, one mom,
1 dog (rhodesian ridgeback)
3 cats, orange tabby, siamese, tonkinese
1 tank full of "reject" fish...platys, guppies, couple plecs, the usual
5 discus tanks w/13 discus
50 three gallon betta tanks and 2 betta fry tanks= about 1000 betta
2 dormit discus fry tanks = :(
used to have ferrets, rabbits, hamsters, rats, mice, ect ect but grew out of them
kim :-*

amirnezhad
04-04-2003, 04:29 AM
Now I have only fishes in my house they are in 9 deferent tanks

1) 6 blue diamond discuses
2) 6 discuses (from other kinds)
3) 4 Oscars with a cat fish
4) 7 parrot with a cat fish
5) too many gypies, sward tails, platies
6) 5 fighter
7) a male fighter with fries (they hatch eggs about 2 days ago)

there is no fishes in the other tanks and I dont want to buy more fishes now! ;)

FishRule
04-04-2003, 04:33 AM
Animal lover here too! My furry and finny friends comprise the following:

2 cats, both rescues
2 dogs, also rescue animals
4 macaws
15 cockatiels
1 conure
4 horses (Arabians, 2 geldings, 1 mare, and my one year old foal who accidently broke my nose in 3 places 2 weeks ago!)
15 fish tanks ranging in size up to 240 gallons
1 husband :)
Plus I feed all the wild birds and wild life in the area, and half of my neighbors dogs seem to be at my house at any given time, big grin!
It's a tough job, but someone has to do it, (big grin!)
Barbara

blackghost
09-02-2003, 12:17 AM
well here goes

2 6 feet community tanks
2 2 feet community tanks
1 marmoset monkey
1 cat
16 dogs ( all dalmation we breed them)
2 turtels
6 spiders (hey it's ok dont go away)

Thats all, not much do you think,

montydiscus
09-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Lets see:
4 cats
40 + Discus
12 Tanks
LOTS OF WATER CHANGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

DarkDiscus
09-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Monty,

Now if you could get those cats to help with the water changes...

Hmm... Bad idea..

;)

John

bubabui
09-12-2003, 01:39 AM
Don't have too many pets at the moment, but a lot of plants...don't have to clean after them.

1 amazing wife

hopefully one fry of our own coming soon...

7 discus

Too many Orchids to count

8 Japanese Maples

Japanese themed gardens, hopefully with a koi pond in the near future.

Joe

09-23-2003, 10:24 PM
Hi guys. I'm new (obviously) :) I absolutely love this forum. I have been lurking (peeping) over my husbands shoulder while he's on Simply for months now.

Okay, to contribute to your poll:
1 potty trained husband
7 goldfish- 1 veil tail, 3 red caps, 3 orandas
1 angel fish (he's lonely-well I think it's a "he")
2 red turq. discus (# to be increased by this weekend ;D)
1 beautiful, spoiled cat who thinks we are his lowly subjects.

Great story behind how he came to be with us. March this year my mom was in the back yard when His Royal cuteness just walked past her, went inside the house, sniffed around, tried out all the chairs in the family room and then went back outside and meowed to two other cat that were waiting for him in the back yard and then went back inside. He never left. I'm assuming that he went back outside to tell his friends that the accomodations were sufficient! We named him Zim from the cartoon on Nick...you know "Invader Zim"

rdeis
12-10-2003, 03:46 PM
Married w/3: 4.5,2.75,1.5 We've survived 3-under-3!

Before the kids, we had a bona-fied menagerie:
2 Discus, cardinals, etc.
1 ornate box turtle
1 working dog
1 retired working dog
2 cats
1 dwarf rabbit

After the kids, one cat decided he wanted to live elsewhere; the retired dog and tutle have been passed to other homes with more time to properly care for them; the working dog has found new employment; and the rabbit and other cat lived out their normal lifespans.

Happily for me, the kids are becoming old enough to care for and appreciate critters, so they are very excited about starting to keep some fish.

I'd like call my dog back- but he's been living with a bachelor that cares for no one but him and 2 acres worth of mountain top to patrol as his domain. Bringing him to our chaotic suburban postage stamp would be simply rude.

jaydaman
12-15-2003, 02:37 AM
here's my list: 2 dogs (white boxers), 1 parrot, 1 parakett, 1 lizard (bearded dragon), 3 fancy guppies, 4 angelfish, 2 mollies, 1 leopard catus pleco (L-114), 1 two foot red snakehead, 10 discus (3 blue dia,3 tangerine,3 pb,1 turq), 1 son, and 1 VERY understanding wife. as a matter of fact, today was my birthday and my wife got me a booster pump for my R.O. system. just what i wanted !!! how did she know? he he ,jason

outlawpc
12-30-2003, 12:44 AM
My zoo consists of:

1 wife (not allowed more than one, just ask her :-)
2 Collies
1 Laso
1 African Grey Parrot (can bark like a dog)
1 Pionous Parrot
7 Discus
6 rasporas
1 tiger striped pleco
. . . and least I forget. . .
1 five year old daughter
1 nine year old son
1 ten year old daughter
1 fifteen year old daughter (going on 30)

. . . hmmmm, I think we need to add an addition onto the house :-)