PDA

View Full Version : What is the best store bought beer?

Jeffery_Doty
04-20-2002, 12:24 PM
Hey Brewmaster and other beer lovers,

If you were in a pinch, and had to buy a beer from the store, what would it be?  And not something regional, but something that could be found on either coast, or by our friends in Canada.

I am interested to hear the opinions!  8)  :lickin:

Thanks.

Jeff
Oregon

devin
04-20-2002, 12:38 PM
BUDWEISER - of course - i am from St. Louis...... :thumbsup:

d

devin
04-20-2002, 12:39 PM
hey jeff - what about your fav????

Bill_P.
04-21-2002, 04:08 AM
Well,

hmmmmmmmm it's hard to chose a favorite commercial beer. Ya see most of the people I know drink what they could get there hands on before they turned 21. This illegal beer is what most people get hooked on. Becuase they got it from there friends and there friends drink it also. In my case when iI was growing up I had alot of Military Guy's (G.I.'s)living in the neighborhood. Man they drunk only two things The first was mass quanity for the price .Can you guess what it is. Well It's The Beast. the second if they were feeling like spending there not so hard earned dollar was Miller High life. Now i have developed taste for both of these nasty beers as it was all I could talk them out of from the time i was 15 to 21.  Now that i'm older i don't drink to much beer anymore now i drink Mixed drinks lol. It's crazy

Bill

brewmaster15
04-21-2002, 12:30 PM
Hi Jeff,
* Let me get this straight, you want to know what I would *drink if I was careless and didn;t *keep the production above the consumption ? well it only rarely happens but I do have some fall *backs...
* First I would never *buy a lager.... though I would gladly accept *one at a friends *house. *I'm an Ale and stout kind of guy.

If I am in the mood *for *a *rich dark *stout, You can't beat a guiness. *The Cans are great because of the nitrogen widget in it that opens with the can and *gives you almost a tap drawn *head. I just tried one over a friends head * that came in a glass bottle, with that nitrogen widget!
If I want a *good pale ale *on hot summer day...Sierra Nevada makes a tasty treat, that is perfect *for sitting in *cooler *of ice/water.

Now I rarely *go friuty on my beer *but Sam Adams makes a cranberry *lambic *(lambic are extemely hard to make) that is grenade close to a homemade lambic if you are thirsty).
Its another hot weather * drink.

* I will tell you though *I will take and try any Ale or stout *that came from a microbrewery. * You'll never *find * Rice *listed as an ingredient *in any of them, and you shouldn't. you only need three things to make *great beer. ....water, malted barley, *and yeast.

*So anyone want *to learn to brew their own *beer? On the average you can get *50 bottles of good stuff *for *about $20.00 and 3 hours time, *$40 *will get you a batch of 50 bottles *you'd proud to drink and *careful not overshare with. ;D

-al

Oh yeah , one other tip. Look for the ones that have sediment  on the bottom of the bottle. This means they  were carbonated by yeast action,  not  by pumping in CO2. Drink these from a  glass, leaving  the sediment in the bottle if you want a crystal clear  drink.

Bill_P.
04-22-2002, 03:00 AM
Brew teach me the art,

I have to try it at least once HAHA.

Bill

DarkDiscus
04-22-2002, 05:42 AM
Store-bought beer:

Newcastle Brown Ale
Anything by Samuel Smith (SS Winter Welcome Ale is incredible)
JW Dundee Honey Brown
Guiness Stout
Murphy's Irish Stout

All good stuff.

John

bmrin1
04-23-2002, 02:57 PM
Well this is a regional of sorts.  In the Indiana, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin area, it is also brewed in Arizona.  It is Leinenkugels.  The best beer made by a commercial brewery by far.  The Creamy Dark and the Northwoods Lager are great.
Brian

harryJ
04-24-2002, 07:48 PM
Hey Jeff as you no I live in Washington and I am probably one of the best beer drinkers in the pacific northwest just ash Karin. ::) ::) ::) And bud is the best but busch is made by bud and it is a better beer and much cheaper so you can get more for you money. ;D I have tryed every thing from here to Hong Kong so trust me. 8) 8) Stay cool Harry

April
04-24-2002, 10:00 PM
oh yah and Harry thought he could just stroll into a safeway store in canada and buy some beer!!!!!!
guess what? Harry had to leave the store with no beer in his hand!! LOL. liquor store is where you buy beer!! that is not a grocery item! Us canadians are far too wholesome.  ;D and our government far too greedy! they want all the money !!!!!!government liquor stores only.

Mike_T
04-25-2002, 05:27 AM
Hmmm...It'd have to be Bass. Maybe Killians. But if I'm really thirsty, I'll pick up some Rolling Rock.

:lickin: :lickin: :lickin: :lickin:

-Mike T

Pick
04-25-2002, 11:06 AM
I have to watch my carbohydrate intake or I'll get VERY round - good for discus, bad for humans.  My normal intake is around 25 - 30 grams a day.  1 12oz Bud has 14g Ouch!  My staple has become Miller Lite (3.2g in 12oz's)  When I'm in a "dark" mood I reach for a draft
Guiness Stout - it weighs in at only 5.2g in 12oz's.

McGuire's Irish Pub here in Pensacola has a nice little microbrewary and I like most everything they have but I don't really care for beers that have the "charred wood" flavor to them.  I love freshly smoked meats - not beers.

TC

TC

brewmaster15
04-25-2002, 12:11 PM
Hi Terry,
   You just happen to be  in one very good place  for birdwatching, which means I will have to look you up  the next time  I hit the trails in Florida. Perhaps  you can show me to the way to Mcquires when I am down there? ;D
-al

DarkDiscus
04-25-2002, 12:16 PM
All this talk about beer and I'm getting really thirsty!  Hey Al,  I have a bunch of bottle I'm saving for you!  The other little problem is we killed off the last of the beer in the house last night, so I am out of luck!  (Unless I make a beer run on the way home...)

Al, BTW, I consumed your Honey Mead on Monday night.  Sandra was not really into it, which is unusual, but I found it very refreshing.  It would be good for a nice light barbeque to start out the day.

John

Don_Lee
04-25-2002, 10:02 PM
Well, lets see.  I would go for Samuel Adams beers overall as higher quality w/o the outrageous price.  Have found a new brand, New Glarus, that is good.  All time #1 is Hacher Pschorr Weiss beer.  Good stuff guys and gals!  Just look for the brown bottle with the guy with a sour look on his face on the front.

Don

Pick
04-26-2002, 08:03 AM
Affirmative Al,

My personal favorite is the one they brew up for Oktoberfest - Wonderful! - email me when you're going to be passing through and I'll give you my phone #.

Had a heron visit my pool in August. *Saw a kingfisher in December and the robins passed through right on que the first week of February. *There's a growing congregation of orioles (my favorite birdsong since I was a kid) in the other side of my neighborhood. *My yard is a favorite hunting ground of the ubiquetus mockingbird and blue jay.

And Don I agree, I love a good Sam Adams.

TC

DarkDiscus
05-01-2002, 10:49 AM
Terry,

Would you believe I have a mild allergic reaction to Sam Adams?  My lips start to swell if I have even one of them.  I used to enjoy them, too...

It's okay - just gives me another excuse to spend money on better beer!

John

ICL
05-06-2002, 08:18 PM
Al, you seem to have forgotton your hops. I enjoy IPAs a great  deal. I remember Oregon IPA could be found  everywhere  when I lived in Colorado. Don't find it very often east though. Sierra Nevada can be found most places now. Their pale ale is highly hopped, so it is close to an IPA. Their porter is excellent as well. Guiness is great if you find yourself in a bar. Bass is available in most bars, but I prefer something hoppier and less malty. Pilsner Urquell is becoming more common... If you live in the east and you are desperate you can always drink the Saranac flavors. They are cheap and better than that swill they call American Pilsner. I think it is closer to rice juice. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our discus couldn't thrive in pure Budweiser!  (at 86* that sounds even more disgusting)

ICL
05-06-2002, 08:19 PM
Oh yeah, and how could I forget Pete's wicked ale?

05-10-2002, 03:16 AM
Heineken, and if I'm in the mood for something more chewy Guiness, on tap!

daninthesand
05-11-2002, 04:52 AM
Favourite beer?

The stuff that's cold. ;D

Seriously. I used to work for Labatt's (long time ago, summer job during university) Completely lost my taste for beer that summer. When you practically swim in the stuff, it gets really awfull to have to drink it. We were allowed to drink beer while  on the job!!!I am not pulling your leg(s)! There were a couple of fridges stocked in the lunch room that we'd help ourselves to.

That was a long time ago like I said, and I'm sure workplace safety commision has stopped that behavior by now.

But I do have a couple favourites. We have a local beer called Two Rivers and I also like Rickard's Red. And they are real beers. At least 5% ;) Not that pretend beer they get down south. :P

Just messing with ya! ;D

As for home brew...I have yet to try one that has not given me a wicked headache after only one beer!

When I lived in Saudi Arabia, we made many trips to the local Tammimi ( Safeway) to by 5 or 6 flats of non alcoholic beer, 5 kilos of sugar and a package of yeast. Oh yes and a large plastic garbage can. Got a few strange looks by the Mutawa (local religious police)as we walked out the store with our basket of goodies, but we were not breaking any laws until we put it all in the garbage can at home and let it ferment :D Talk about desperate! Maybe that's why I'd get a headache! ;D ;D ;D

brewmaster15
05-13-2002, 07:45 AM
Dan,dan, dan... its all in the quality. All too often  homebrewers substitute cheap  corn or even worse cane sugar in their beer! Home brew with malt sugar  that is fully fermented should make you feel like you died and went to heaven, not hell! ;D
-al

Oh and you'll appreciate this.  When my dad was in the military, you would strain   aqua velva  and  drink it when  confined  to base.!!!

daninthesand
05-13-2002, 09:01 AM
Brew,

Sounds like your dad was even more desperate then we were.

I'm certainly not an expert at making beer. But the malt sugar makes sense. We used ordinary cane sugar in Saudi. after a few bad attempts, we started paying through the nose for real bottles of basic rum (Captain Morgan) But a 26 oz bottle cost us $130US so it was treated like gold. One bottle lasted months!

That was only two years ago, so we're not really spoiled yet. We have bottles in our liquor cabinet that seem more like trophies than anything else. I still have to remind myself that the Morgan's is only a few bucks now and I can drink it without feeling guilty!

That reminds me......cheers! :)

breed_beyond
07-16-2002, 05:43 PM
    I know i'm late on this post but I like to drink Fat Tire Amber Ale, Heineken, and if i'm going for quantity just plain old coors light....

jeep
08-01-2002, 08:36 AM
Year round - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Winter - Sierra Nevada Celebration or Boulivard Nutcracker

Spring - Boulivard Irish Ale or Sierra Nevada Bigfoot. The bigfoot is very strong and bitter, but the BBQ judges like it because it is a main ingredient in my sauce and I win almost every time.

Summer - just drink bourbon
;D

BlueTurquoise
08-01-2002, 09:05 AM
Local bear called Han Premium. Also i like home brew, nothing beats home brew!

I also like Japanese beers... very nice...

Chong

Discus_Hans
08-01-2002, 06:50 PM
Heineken, only the real stuff what we can get in Holland, Amstel beer and Hertog Jan. When I visit the USA I never drink Heineken, because the taste is complete differend from the Heineken overhere. I think they send you the stuff were we clean the bottles with, jichhhhhhhhhhhh
If I'm out of the country I always try the local stuff and try, and try and try, wonder why I always end up in the wrong hotel room??????? hmmmmmm must be the beer :) :) :)
PROOST Hans,

DarkDiscus
08-02-2002, 09:03 AM
Hans,

I won't drink Heineken here in the US if I can help it...

Newcastle Brown Ale
Boddington's Pub Ale

& the ULTIMATE

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale

I LOVE that stuff!

John

discusbabe
08-10-2002, 03:20 PM
I love Redhook ales, my fave is the ESB (extra special bitters-English pub style)
They make a great porter -Blackhook.
They produce a number of other ales with the seasonal Winterhook Ale running a close second to ESB.
Their ales are unpasturised.
They are shipped fresh under refrigeration so it is important to check the lable for the production date and make sure the store you are buying from keeps it cool from day 1.
Nothing makes agreat beer taste skankier that letting it sit around for too long and not storing it properly.
Redhook is produced in Seattle and Woodinville WA, and opened a new brewery in Portsmouth NH in the mid 90's so they could provide their fresh ales to the East coast too.

-yeah, I love the stuff. I also love Guinness, especialy if it is on tap, and the bartender knows how to make a good black and tan, although a nice big can at home is very satisfying.

~Judy

TOMMY
09-24-2002, 02:40 PM
I dunno but The Saint Pauli Girls always treated me very well, both dark and white!
Brew, I always thought you had your own brewery for some odd reason! :P

-Tom-

brewmaster15
09-24-2002, 02:56 PM
I do Tommy! ;D ;D ;D

, its just a microbrewery in the true meaning of the word. I pump out 5 gal batches of home brew every month or so, and either drink it, give it away , or invite my discus buds over to help me turn over the inventory! ;)

-al

TOMMY
09-24-2002, 03:03 PM
D**n! Save some for me! It really sounds very, very good.... I'm here sitting at work and my mouth is all wattery! Whens the next party??

-Tom-

brewmaster15
09-24-2002, 03:10 PM
I'll let you know... your in NY right? an hour drive to Ctdiscus and brewery ;)
-al

TOMMY
09-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Sounds goooood to me! I've gotta go downstairs now and get a stout! Darn it's only 3:14 :( Gotta wait another hour!

-Tom-

DarkDiscus
09-24-2002, 04:33 PM
Tommy,

I can attest that Al's beer is EXCELLENT. I like all of his varieties and have a lot of fun sampling and testing. Definitely good stuff!

I DID forget to steal some the last time I was visiting, though! Damn!

John

TOMMY
09-24-2002, 04:40 PM
My stepdad in HI had a mini fermenter thingy smuggled into the US from Australia. They only had it for a week when someone snatched it from them.
That beer really sounds good Brew! What varieties do you usually have? Damn I'm still waiting for 5:00 so I can run downstairs to tequilaville for some brewsky. The ladies in this office would definitely know if I were to cheat! :P

-Tom-

John just call me Tom. I couldn't get registered with that so I used Tommy instead.

DarkDiscus
09-25-2002, 11:34 AM
Sorry Tom!

Al's varieties that I have PERSONALLY sampled include:

A midnight stout, rich, black and creamy with just the right amount of bitter bite and no aftertaste. The hint of chocolate adds the ideal finish. Perfect with fish and chips!

An English Export ale, nutty and fruity with a smooth finish and deep flavor. Very refreshing.

An Indian Pale Ale, lighter and crisp with a hint of bitterness for everyday drinking.

A Brown Ale, frosty, clean tasting and delicious with a second level of deep, rich flavor coming through.

And a honey mead, crisp, fresh and pungent with a strong honey flavor. A true manly drink from an earlier time!

There you have it!

YUM!

John

TOMMY
09-25-2002, 11:46 AM
Will you please stop! :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce:
It's only 11:35 in the morning here and I can't have anything till 5!
Plus I had friends drop by last night unexpectedly and we partied till 2am. (Uh my head). :bomb: :sick:
I could really use a cold one now! You know that the best cure for a hangover is a nice cold brewsky in the morning!
The hops and barley also make it an ideal breakfast drink!

They ALL sound great to me. I've never had homemade brew but I could only imagine! Please keep me informed!

-Tom-

discus4me
10-01-2002, 07:36 PM
This is a hard question to answer. Well if its hot i would have to say something refreshing like sierra nevada but when it comes to a winterbeer nothing and i mean nothing tops mirrorpond. If they made it year around i would drink i year around. Thankgoodness they dont. I was in london a couple years ago and they had this beer cast aged made by monks (brewmaster probably knows it) it's called a blon blond by la trapp this beer was hands down the best beer i've ever had and i've had a lot of beer. Lets see one of your recipes brew i'd be interested ive got the full beer setup too. Not pretty, just a top cut off a keg over a propane crab cooker. I got tired of bottling though so i switched to soda containers with a co2 hookup.

yellow sub
10-02-2002, 03:08 PM
If I am making my own...I love a good IPA that has been dry hoped to the extreem, a fair amount of crystal malt, a pinch of chocolat malt and a good sharp (but balanced) hop bite.

for store bought, is there a difference? I have had a mouth full of siphon water that tasted about the same ;D

Stephen

brewmaster15
10-02-2002, 04:00 PM
;);D was that siphon water with decaying fishfood and feces in it...? Now I now what bud reminds me of!!!...Yuck!!!!

TOMMY
10-02-2002, 04:03 PM
Hasn't anyone heard of the term "Recycled beer"???!!! ;)

-Tom-

brewmaster15
10-06-2002, 11:35 AM
okay Discus4me,

heres one of my stable recipes, easy to make ,but will beat anything store bought hands down...

Chocolate stout...

2- 4lb cans Mount Mellick Irish stout
2 cups muntons dark crystal malt-unhopped
2 cups of Belgian Chocolate barley in in a hop sack
1 packey Hersey hot coco mix

Bring to rollinh boil ingal of water. boil 20 mins past hotbreak, during this last 20 minutes boiling add Hops for aroma(fuggle or chinook) .cool with 4 gal ice cold water and ferment with any top fermenting ale yeast... I'm partial "white bread"

variation...

als midnite stout...same as above , omit The chocolate barley and herseys...this is my staple and will give you an almost guiness like stout.
It one of Dark discus's favorites

And for the daring... and patient...

als 3 yr+ mead (sparkling)

10 pd vermont Clover honey
7 cups corn sugar
1/2 teaspoon gypsum
2 teaspoons lemon juice

In 1 gal water Boil the above for 30 min
20 mins into the boil add 1/2 teaspoon Irish moss

Cool with 4 gals water

Ferment with 1/2 packet "whitebread" ale yeast and 1/2 packet "whitebread" wine yeast

Let sit undisturbed for 5 months. Bottle and store for at least a year...can be drunk then, but better at year 2 and 3 (it'll be crystal clear)

have fun!
-al

dm
10-10-2002, 08:36 PM
I'm originally from Rochester NY and grew up on Genessee beer.
I really miss their 12 Horse Ale. Good stuff!

Ralph
10-13-2002, 10:22 PM
I've never met a beer that I didn't like. If I had to pick one though, I guess my favorite would be free beer, it just tastes better.

Rikk
11-08-2002, 06:36 PM
For real beer you have too go too holland or belgium

they are famous with there priest made beers
ist already 500 years tradition

very heavy and very nice beer
in holland we make a beer with 11.6% alchol
you only need two bottles to get a nice sleep

i prefer a belgium beer called palm
ist heavy, sweet and very tastfull
can you get that on the other side

i have here a beershop where we can get about 2500 sorts of beer from all over the world !!!

Mick M
11-10-2002, 06:41 PM
I agree with Rik, Belgium is THE place to go!

I tried soooooo many beers and can't remember a bad one' on the other hand, couldn't remember any names of them!

It's fun passing the time of day when you're on holiday sometimes.
Cheers,
Mick M.

DarkDiscus
11-11-2002, 10:03 AM
There's a pub I enjoy going to which imports numerous beers from around the world. Belgian beers are good. Then again, so are German, British and a number of others. I enjoy a variety, from the thick, meaty beers to pale ales. Beer is a wonderful thing!

John

TOMMY
11-11-2002, 12:37 PM
You can say that again! And in the process I am growing a built-in flotation device around my waist! ;D ;D ;D

-Tom-

Rikk
11-11-2002, 03:27 PM
in this shop i already had

delerium beer ( with pink elephant )
Troll beer from norway
Lapin Kulta - beer from iceland ( very nice )
Beer with many flavours
beer which is 15 years old from belgium
etc etc

teh shop even has its own brew which you can tast at the bar. when i stop there most of the time it takes longer to get away there !!

but only when the wife is not along !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
how does that come ??? ??? :angel:

TOMMY
11-11-2002, 03:44 PM
Unfortunately it seems like she doesn't know what she's missing! Try taking her along on a very hot day....and see what happens!!! Nobody can resist a nice cold one on a hot day, noone!! 8) 8) 8)

Cheers brother!!! :thumbsup:

-Tom-

DarkDiscus
11-11-2002, 04:26 PM
My wife can drink beer at my pace. It's why I picked her!

John

;D

TOMMY
11-11-2002, 04:46 PM
Allright John, I'll be seeing you on the 23rd.... just make sure you save some for me!!!

-Tom-

Ivan
11-11-2002, 04:48 PM
Hi all, one of my favs at the mo is Caffreys, Irish ale, very creamy just slips down.
My Dad is intoWeiss beer at the mo, looks like urine. Tastes bad imo.

Rikk
11-11-2002, 06:08 PM
i did try several times but teh problem is that she will drink a bacardi-cola

most of the time she is driving because i am drinking

11-13-2002, 06:44 AM
Sorry all! I will not read this whole thread to give you my opinion....

What is the best store bought beer you ask?

"ALL OF THEM" I say. :P would not turn a single one down.......

lol...

Julz

Still trying to talk the hubby into brewing his own. As our "beer" category (in quicken) is right up there with my "fish" category. They are both equally outragous...

Gizmo
11-13-2002, 08:35 AM
Na! Disagree with all a ya.
Victorians have the best bear know and revered as Vic Bitter fondly labeled VB MATE.
In fact I'm gonna crack one now.

Cheers! :P

regards Kos

SoloDiscus
11-15-2002, 12:56 PM
Any Anheuser Busch Product Im from St Louis so I have to support the largest Brewer in the world

11-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Well then Solo...
You are very close to paul_burney and Gipper.... I am jealous! Two of our many famous Discus lovers.. Watch Gip tho.... As he will talk your ear off.... (just had to Gip :P) And Paul? well... he is well known for shackin up with one of them "Fish Haters" Poor guy.... Can you imagine?. lol

Julz

paul_burney
11-15-2002, 02:33 PM
I have to agree with ya Julz there is only 2 kinds of beer out there in this wrold HOT BEER and COLD BEER and COLD BEER tastes better!!!!! 8) 8) 8)
Paul

SoloDiscus
11-15-2002, 02:40 PM
More Missourians on here? Awesome! I think we should all just get together and buy a few of every beer out there and decide for sure what is tops. 10 bucks says it will one towards the end of the stack since we'd all be obliterated haha

11-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Actually the Hubby and I do that. For awhile there we were trying a different brand with each purchase, saving a bottle with each test. With all the bottles saved he has lined the rafter ledge of his Shop. The Shop measures 25' x 30'... Quite a few Bottles I might add. That is why I say........ "I like all of them" as we have tried so many.... :P

Julz

samcatj
12-06-2002, 08:56 PM
I am in the liquor business and can offer you the names of a few beers that are very good but sometimes hard to find.
Sierra Nevada Christmas Ale - excellent...if you can find it
Shiner Bock
Cellus Rasberry
Chimay
Honey Brown
Just to name a few. Hope you can find some of these. They are all very good.

samcatj

12-06-2002, 09:04 PM
Sam,

I have Discus if you have beer... Am not picky.. :P :P :P :P :P :P

:)

Dragonexpress
12-11-2002, 10:47 AM
I just turn 21 yesterday! I did some beer shopping. I am just an amature so I don't know what good beers are out there.

brewmaster15
12-11-2002, 12:38 PM
I'll come in time. Generally follows the developemnt of a beer belly, fondly referred to as keg, spare tire, famine insurance, etc. ;) ;D

-al

DarkDiscus
12-11-2002, 03:50 PM
Ah,

To be 21 again! Thin, innocent and ambitious!

Now I'm fat, wise and lazy...

Then again, maybe I'm happier at 33!

;)

John