PDA

View Full Version : Where are you from????????

Bill_P.
04-16-2002, 11:03 AM
Hey I want ot meet new People in my area.

I'm sure others would to.

there is nothing cooler then hanging out with Discus People and shooting the S**t about Discus

I mean look at Brew and Dark Discus

Then I my self have meet DiscusBud (great Guy)
I have also meet Cary (wierd Guy J/K)
I'm going to meet Fishnut 2001 here soon
I want to meet Al and Ryan,

So maybe there are more poeple that live near others that can easily visit with out planning a weekend trip but maybe a day Trip.

Bill

devin
04-16-2002, 11:06 AM
yeah bill only lives 2-1/2 hours south of st. louis...
there are a few of us here in the the st. louis area....day trips are a lot of fun...bill is coming to st. louis soon and we are going to "make the rounds" to some of the folks in the area....

d

Bill_P.
04-16-2002, 11:13 AM
Oh yeah I almost forgot

I'm In Hooterville Ky

For all you non Kentuckians
thats Hopkinsville Ky.

Bill

barbiespoodle
04-16-2002, 11:49 AM
Medina Ohio here, that's about 30 miles south of cleveland and about 20 miles west of akron. Technically I'm in Mallet Creek, believe it or not, we are actually on the map, afterall, we do have a stop light, lol.

Dragonfly
04-16-2002, 12:24 PM
Barb, you are in Medina, I am in Cleveland what a small world. Did you know there are a couple of breeders here in cleveland along with at least one fanatic.

Alex

gary1218
04-16-2002, 12:40 PM
I'm from Medina as well.  I'm SOOOOOOOOO excited to have a "discus crazy" in my neighborhood  :D

Oh, wait a minute.  I'm in Medina, NY.  Oh well, the excitement was fun while it lasted  ;)

By the way, Medina is less than an hours drive from either Buffalo or Rochester.  So if your in the area give me a call.  You can stop by and see my new RAMS.  Is it OK to say that on this DISCUS Forum  ???

GARY

DarkDiscus
04-16-2002, 01:50 PM
Gary,

I went to college at Colgate, which is vaguely in your neck of the woods...  Too bad there's no reunion this year...

;)

John

Carol_Roberts
04-16-2002, 05:29 PM
I'm 99 miles north of the California border in Canyonville, Oregon -  no stop lights in my town, but we do have a giant Indian gaming resort (Seven Feathers)
Carol :heart1:

gump
04-16-2002, 05:56 PM
You can find me on the lovely Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia. Any other "Bluenosers" out there?.. LOL Carol I live in a 3 stop sign town!
Pierre

04-16-2002, 06:24 PM
Southcentral Pennsylvania native - Hummelstown, 2 miles west of Hershey aka Chocolate Town USA. Yes, my first job was making Hershey Kisses and chocolate bars.

Relocated to Tacoma Washington area in 1984. I have been here ever since, except 1994-1996, when I moved bach to Pa. for some family matters.

Mat

Discus_KC
04-16-2002, 06:33 PM
Gary,

I grew up in Wilson N.Y. if you know where it is at.  Our schools played each other.

But now Kansas City is home.

Jack

I drove to Olean last year to see Angels Plus ! 19 hours for a fish fix  ;D ;D ;D  

devin
04-16-2002, 06:35 PM
well jack st. louis is less than 4 hours...c'mon over.

d

paul_burney
04-16-2002, 07:44 PM
Well im in Illinois  in a small place called Meadowbrook  we have no stop signs in town :( well i am 10 miles from the Mississippi river and 45 mins by car from St. Louis look on a map and im near Alton,Ill. 1 hr from Devin
Paul

Don_Lee
04-16-2002, 08:25 PM
Rockford, Illinois, about 60 miles west of Chicago.

Don

04-16-2002, 10:48 PM
i'm from stoplight city, toronto, canada. where they are all perfectly timed so that you MUST stop at each and every one.

rick

brewmaster15
04-17-2002, 04:12 AM
Well,
By now many of you know I hail from the tiny state of  Connecticut, on the eastern  seaboard of the  USA...

I think I'll buy a map of the USA and canada and start marking off where everyone  is. Theres probably even software out there to let us make an interactive one  for the site( Paper copy first).

Pierre,
  How close are you to Kejimkujik national park,  or cape bretons highlands national park?  Both of these  are my birding hitlist , places I want to go  bird watching/photography  at. I've been to the Gaspe pennisula of Quebec  twice for that reason. Thats also where  I got engaged.  

From my last trip to your beautiful part of the world...

brewmaster15
04-17-2002, 04:13 AM
Bonaventure Island, off the coast of the gaspe Pennisula...

Dragonfly
04-17-2002, 06:38 AM
Al,
Those pictures bring back memories. My father and I took a motorcycle trip in the summer of 96. We left Ohio, went through New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, into New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, hopped on a ferry and went over to New Foundland and travelled all the way up the Viking Trail and back. Came back through Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec, and through the Algonquin to our cottage on Tobin's island on lake Rosseau in Ontario. To make a short story longer, those pictures are very reminiscent of all that area as you probably know. We actually had intended to go around the Gaspe but after a couple weeks of travelling with several days of rain we were done. Beautiful country.

Alex

04-17-2002, 07:59 AM
hey someone who summers on lake rosseau! gee, i've been wondering, does goldie hawn still look good in a bathing suit... i spent my summers growing up in the kawarthas, on buckhorn lake.

i've seen every canadian province, and nova scotia and gaspe are beautiful, but if you haven't seen british columbia, you have missed the best part. i wish i was taking pics, but there are some of the most amazing places, on the coast, and in the interior.

rick

bmrin1
04-17-2002, 08:20 AM
Hi all,
I live in lovely North Manchester, Indiana. *Any one out there in Indiana, Southern Lower Michigan or Northwest Ohio? *
Brian

gump
04-17-2002, 08:40 AM
Hey Al,   I'm stuck in the middle of both tose parks LOL.  We have a bird sanctuary at the end of our road which you can find almost every native sea duck there is ( so I hear) cranes (blue Herrons) geese winter here!!! Eagles and of course I have to mention the wildlife that live down the road ie neighbours etc.. LOL Open door here all the time.
Pierre

Francisco_Borrero
04-17-2002, 09:11 AM
Sharon, MA. 35 minutes from Boston and Providence (north and south, respectively). Only one street light downtown, but a ridiculous number of dry cleaners there. Most people are commuters. Me too. It sucks taking up precious water/change time.
Cheers, Francisco.

Dragonfly
04-17-2002, 09:17 AM
Rick,
What a small world, my family bought a place up there in 1945 and we have been going up there ever since. It is funny that you mention Goldie, we are a two minute boat ride from her place I should say were, she and Kurt moved out two summers ago. They put an add in the Muskoka Sun asking people to leave them alone but it never happened so I guess they took off. I intend to get up to BC soon.

Alex  :elvis:

DarkDiscus
04-17-2002, 10:23 AM
Francisco,

You're not too far from us over here in CT.  Maybe you can come down sometime and meet up with us CT discus freaks.

John

jaspertyler
04-17-2002, 11:32 AM
Hello!  I'm in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area.  Nice and hot here this week :)

Lana

04-17-2002, 01:30 PM
Canada, westcoast

04-17-2002, 04:27 PM
Georgetown, Texas
36 miles northwest of Austin, Texas
oh, and yes....it is getting hot!

Terri

April
04-17-2002, 07:16 PM
Alex......or Dragonfly.......if you come to b.c.....I'm here! so is Raymond and a few other discus phenatics! So start planning. Yah....B.C. has some beautiful spots. I'm in vancouver right on the edge.. by the ocean.

xfrpat
04-17-2002, 09:28 PM
I live in St Paul, MN, but I do like to travel.  If anyone is coming up this way let me know, I have over 800 gallons worth of tanks with Discus.  Most of them are wild Discus.

Pat

Steve_Warner
04-17-2002, 11:03 PM
Hi all,
I reside in Las Vegas, Nevada(actually Henderson, NV).......about 12 miles from the world-famous "Strip".  I have met 3 other fanatics in the hobby-- Jim Quarles, Ron & Mary Menchey, and Chad Bertoni & family. I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting alot more of you all!

Steve

taybelZ
04-18-2002, 04:59 AM
I'm from Australia..
far away from most of you guys.
Any aussies lurking around the board besure to say a quick hi to me.

OH i'm from Geelong (VICTORIA)

Dragonfly
04-18-2002, 05:08 AM
April,
You should call me Alex, you would be the first stop on the B.C. tour. Do you have room in your place for guests between all your tanks?

Taybelz you will have to come to the states sometime and watch the water go down the drain clockwise for once.

Alex  :elvis:

April
04-18-2002, 07:13 AM
ok Alex.....hi Alex. LOL. I willhave room for visitors after I move in a few months! I you tried now......you'd be sorry. it'd be a  grooming table each for you guys!
David......I think theres three of you aussies here . And yes......I think the first thing I will do when I get to Australia will be to turn the tap on and watch the whirlpool go the wrong way! LOL.

Butch
04-18-2002, 08:20 AM
I am in the deep south...Baton Rouge, LA...the capitol of Louisiana.  Baton Rouge is 80 miles NNW of New Orleans.  Lots of Good food, good fun down here in Cajun Country 8)
Beth A is not too far away in the NO area.

Butch :)

04-18-2002, 11:40 AM
Butch, I sooooo need a crawfish fix!

Terri (Thibodeaux)
;D

gump
04-18-2002, 11:45 AM
Terri,
is that an Acadian name??? You know that most of the Acadians from down there came from Nova Scotia.. just wondering if you know your geneology?
Pierre

04-19-2002, 06:51 AM
Pierre,

I don't know. *That is my married name. *My maiden name is Mannino. My family is 1/2 Sicilian (Mannino) and 1/2 French (Bellaire). *I have loads of family in the Lafayette/Breaux Bridge area of Louisiana and have heard it referred to as "Acadiana", but frankly, I really don't know what exactly that means. *More family research has been done by family members on the Sicilian geneology than on the French side. *I do know that the portion of my family that resides in Lousiana (the Bellaires) has been there for generations. *I should find out! *You have piqued my curiosity!  

Unfortunately, many of the elders of the Bellaire family speak "cajun" french and I have a very hard time conversing with them outside of a very basic conversation.  Unless my grandmother (a/k/a translator) is there.....I am really out of luck.

Terri

Rusty
04-19-2002, 07:06 AM
Hi all.  I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico, where the water is hard enought to stand on it's own.  Doesn't look like there are a lot of us discus owners out here in the west.  

Tina

04-19-2002, 07:21 AM
   Um.....Carlin, N.V......the people I've met sofar are Nevada Mark (I work with the guy), and as most of ya know(the lady that got me into discus) Karen......
 Hey Steve W., my little brother lives in Vegas....next time I go to see him, maybe we could meet......  :)

gump
04-19-2002, 07:54 AM
Wow Terri,
Thats very interesting.  Bellaire is also a very popular Acadian name!!!  The elders speak cajun french as well, which is a derivative of Acadian french... if I were to bet , your relatives once lived in the Maritimes, & most likely Nova Scotia!!! The expultion of the Acadians by the Brits is very interesting history around here.  In fact from what I understand, we are sending french teachers down there to teach the children french & about the "acadian"...Cajun culture.
Just thought you might be interested.
Pierre

Mike_T
04-19-2002, 08:02 AM
Hey,

I live just 10 minutes south of Cincinnati, OH in northern KY. No great scenic spots close by, but about an hour and a half away(south east) is the Red River Gorge in the Daniel Boone National Forest...beautiful hiking, waterfalls, natural bridges, caves, 500 ft cliffs, and pristine streams. Any body live in the Tri-State area?

Mike

04-19-2002, 08:08 AM
Uh-Oh, Pierre,

I think you have started something....I feel that curious, compelling, gotta know feeling washing over me...part of my personality!  (Refer to the thread, "what makes us tick").

I am going to have to start digging 'cause I am going to HAVE to know some basics about this expultion by the Brits thing!  Just the tid-bit you provided in your response was interesting in itself...I MUST dig further!   :D :D :D :D

Terri

Pick
04-19-2002, 08:33 AM
I live in Santa Rosa County near Pensacola Florida. *I'm 30 minutes from the whitest beaches in the world and 30 minutes from the Alabama state line. *The Gulf coast has two popular names here. *The Emerald Coast & The Redneck Riviera!

TC

gump
04-19-2002, 08:36 AM
LOL, Have fun Terri...
Actually it's fairly interesting, I,m not much of a history buff, but I figured I should now the history of where I live.. It actually quite interesting even the forest types we have here in Nova Scotia & how they changed over history ... Oppps I digresss.. I just searched "acadians" on the net..good place to start
I'm interested on how you make out & what you find
Pierre

04-19-2002, 09:33 AM
Eastern Utah, Just south of Flaming Gorge, just west of the colorado border.   Its not nowhere but you can see it from here.

John_Nicholson
04-19-2002, 03:46 PM
Caddo Mills, TX * The closest traffic light would be in the next town. *We do have several stop sighs though....

Butch I go to Denham Springs several times a year for dog shows. *I raise catahoula dogs. *Next time I head that way I may try to get in touch. *I love to see other peoples fish.

-john

04-19-2002, 04:43 PM
Im in Green Bay Wi. Not too much excitement in our little town.
Anyone in the area is always welcome to drop by.
Matt

04-24-2002, 08:17 AM
Pierre,

I wanted to thank you for sparking a little curiosity as far as my geneology is concerned. *It seems, from initial reading, you are correct in your deduction of my ancestors, and my husband's, being from Nova Scotia. *It also seems that my family was heavily involved in growing sugar cane and cotton from the early beginnings. *While this is no great anomaly as far as Louisiana families are concerned, I had visited "the" farm many times and never really soaked in the history of the land that still belongs to many in my family. *HeeeeHeeee....not to mention the pecan groves! *I found another name that is intertwined with the family (Hebert) that long ago carried with it quite a bit of significance...of course I am sure there are many "bunny trails" one must pursue to backtrack that name!

Anyway..that is way more detail than I am sure you need or want to hear....but thanks!!! *You hear about geneology all the time...but something you said sparked MY interest!!!!
Terri

gump
04-24-2002, 08:38 AM
Thats really cool Terri...
Small world eh?  Hebert is a very common name here as well, although maybe more so in New Brunswick?  If you find out anything else I would be interested in knowing.  So when you going to come up to visit your relatives here in Nova Scotia ? LOL
Pierre

04-24-2002, 08:50 AM
Hah! *Pierre,

You think my relatives up there would mind if I just showed up on the doorstep...surely not right???

"Hey, you don't know me but, my name is Thibodeaux, so is yours...just coming to visit...move it on over...we'll only be here to a week or so!!

Terri *;D

gump
04-24-2002, 03:48 PM
LOL Terri,
The funny thing is that you would probably be welcomed with open arms!  And I"m SERIOUS....We still don't lock our doors, keys remain in the vehicles at all times (except trips to town) so we know where they are.
Extremely open , friendly people out here. Anyways if they said no you would always be welcome here!
Pierre

DarkDiscus
04-25-2002, 05:37 AM
Pierre,

Sounds like people are a lot more friendly and community oriented where you live.  Too bad it's not like that all over.

John

04-25-2002, 06:06 AM
LOLOL *Pierre,

Sounds like a wonderful place! *When we moved out to the "woods" as my daughter refers to it...life became a little easier, safer and quieter...except for our daily trek into town to work. * *Quiet, small town communities are certainly my cup-o-tea! *

Terri

daninthesand
04-25-2002, 06:25 AM
Hi Gang.

i just joined the forum today. Check out my intro in the "Member Web Links and Biographies" section.

I'm from Winnipeg, Canada

Bill_P.
04-25-2002, 11:56 AM
welcome to the board dan,

Bill

Rod
04-25-2002, 04:02 PM
Hi,

Brisbane Australia, right on the east coast about half way up ;D ;D

G'day David ( is that quick enough!!):)

Alex, what i really want to know is which way does the water flow down the drain on the equator???

If anyone decides to visit our great country, be sure to give me a call and stop by for a beer or two.

OHHH, i think we have a stop light for every person in town, now let's see, 2 000 000, that sounds about right!! >:( >:( ;D

Rod

04-26-2002, 06:27 AM
Uhhhhhhhh Whats a stop light?? :crazy:HAAAAAAaaaaaaaa ha ha ha haaaaaaa
Okay lets see... Originally I am from Mars...
but now reside in area 51 Nevada.. :sunshine: Uh..... Nevada USA I believe.. Ya ya yaaaa Nevada USA! ;D
Karen :gorgeous:

AND may I take this time and may I ask... "WHAT THE *&^ is this Smiley doing?
Mr or Ms Moderator?  is this guy licking his BOOGERS or what!? :lickin: :lickin: :lickin: :lickin: :lickin: :o
;D

April
04-26-2002, 07:50 AM
;DLOL Karen trust you. hes just sticking it out . we dont have that kind of thing on this forum!

harryJ
04-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Well everyone propbably knows Karin and myself live in Yakima, Wa. We have 4 acres a couple miles outside of town. We have 4 horses, 4 dogs and a couple of cats and about 40 tropical birds ::) ::) We have been breeding parrots since 1980 but are mostly out of it now. Into DISCUS!!!! 8) It is alot of fun and Karin loves it and does most all the work 8)  It is a hobby that is fun for both of us and it keeps you together and makes life a little easier.  ;) Have a Good one Harry & Karin

DarkDiscus
04-26-2002, 12:51 PM
Harry & KarIn,

That's a beautiful thing - people who enjoy the same hobbies together!  I'm working toward that goal myself!  About half way there so far.

John

mench
04-26-2002, 04:11 PM
Yep people who enjoy the same hobbies..Lets see,we are both into old cars,she likes to look at them and I have to do the upkeep on them ,clean them etc,we like the fish,she likes to look at them,I get to do the upkeep,clean,feed etc,we also like Rotties,she likes to look at them,I get to do the upkeep,feed,clean,etc Himmmmmm I semm to see a trend developing here!!!!!!!
I can get back at her cuz she like her job,I like being retired,she makes the money and I spend it....While she works I do the upkeep on the house,clean,cut grass,do laundry etc...Wait a minute.....this isn't working out like I figured......back to the drawing board.....

Mench :o

DarkDiscus
04-26-2002, 06:27 PM
Ron,

I think the money thing is key.  I'd get electrocuted if I tried to manage a deal where I DIDN'T make the green...

:'(

But I kinda live for that anyway!

Good for ya!

Keep them tanks and cars clean and running well!

John

Cowboy
04-26-2002, 07:10 PM
Just got in from milking, so that tells you what I do. We, my wife and four kids, own a family farm in Waukon, IA. That's way up in the northeast corner of the state. I'm thinking we have one intersection with stoplights. Anyway, dairy farming and discus go hand in hand. Feed them before and after the morning milking, at dinner time and again before and after the night milking. I used to threaten a kicky cow with a trip to Hardees. Now it's 'how would you like to become fish food?'
Todd

gump
04-27-2002, 02:08 AM
Todd,
You only milk your Discus twice a day!!! Just curious, how big is your farm, ie how many fins, How many ounces of milk on the average do you get from you discus?  Is there a quota system in IA for Discuss milk?  What does a litre of Discuss milk go for now? Are your tanks set up with automatic milking machines? What do you feed?

Way to go Todd.. alot of work on a farm..I envy you, always wanted one & in fact, this summer were starting to clear some pasture land on our woodlot.  Let the process start...we'll have to chat sometime
Pierre

jim_shedden
04-27-2002, 05:10 AM
Hi : I am in Sudbury, Ontario. Go to Rick's in Toronto and go north. Keep going and going and going and sooner or later you will get there.

Jim

bmrin1
04-27-2002, 04:53 PM
Cowboy,
How's the deer hunting in your neck of the great deer hunting state of Iowa?
Brian

SoloDiscus
04-27-2002, 08:09 PM
Hey All
Great board!!
Just wanted to add  St. Louis here   actually about 2 1/2 blocks from Devin.
Just thought Id check out the board.  If it keeps raining here  I might be able to add some discus to my puddles outside.
Anyway thanks for putting on a great board and devoting time to it.

Cowboy
04-27-2002, 08:16 PM
I think it's great for the most part. I never grew up doing it but I almost got a landowners permit last year. I guess if we're gonna feed them all year then I should try it once. Not sure if I could shoot one or not. A sick cow is one thing but a cute deer? Too many Bambi movies growing up I guess. We do have some pretty heavily wooded areas in this part of the state. our neighbors go out in a group of 20 and almost always get that many. Between them and the coon they sure can make a mess out of fields along the wooded areas.
Todd

Misty_P.
04-27-2002, 08:26 PM
I have to agree with me husband i think it is fun meeting  new people  that is into breeding fish  but I like to meet new people any way lol  
                Misty_P

teokg28
05-31-2002, 06:05 AM
:( not even one single soul from singapore????
Well,most of ya are from US...

It will be good if i stays in US,lots of stuffs there.....

zoids
05-31-2002, 07:08 AM
Teo,

Did i hear singapore?? hahaha I'm from SG too staying in Tampines. Nice to see you here.

teokg28
05-31-2002, 08:22 AM
woohoo....finally i saw a singaporean here...and i had never saw one in other discus forum..
i lived in Bukit Batok...
well,do you keep discus?

zoids
05-31-2002, 08:31 AM
yes i do and i keep quite a collection :)

teokg28
05-31-2002, 08:55 AM
ok i see....
hard to find someone in spore that keeps discus nowadays...most of the aquarium shops selling flower horns fish now(luo han)...sian!

btw,how old are you eh?Im 21....

06-17-2002, 03:25 PM
I live in Albany, Or. just about half way between Washington and California borders. About three miles west of I-5.

Miles

ari_wh
06-17-2002, 04:48 PM
teokg28  :)

I have heard of lou han fish..... though never seen it before... I heard it cost a fortune in South East Asia. Do you have a picture to post?? I would like to see what is the hype.....

Regards, Ari  ;D

p.s. I live in Brisbane, Australia

Goldfish_in_a_bowl
06-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Uh................
MARS!? ;) ;D :-* :-*

Karen :gorgeous:

RichieE
07-11-2002, 08:42 AM
Hi all. Im fairly new to the board. Ive been reading all the old threads and just got to this one.  Im learning alot of stuff here. Im going to wright a book and sell it to you all. ;D   Im from Long Island New york.  We have two breeders here that I know of but have plenty of crooked polititians and high taxes if your looking for those.  If your in the area stop by and see my Discus. Ill show you mine if youll show me yours.  Rich

Ardan
07-11-2002, 08:57 AM
Hi Richie,
Welcome!!
I might just buy that book if you write it! ;D ;D
Long Island? Which breeders are nearby? Lots of nice discus?
Always like to learn where there is  good discus! ;D
Glad to see you here!
:thumbsup:
Ardan :sunshine:

DavidH
07-11-2002, 11:15 AM
Fayetteville, NC...Home of the 82...

SLY
07-11-2002, 06:34 PM
ok i see....
hard to find someone in spore that keeps discus nowadays...most of the aquarium shops selling flower horns fish now(luo han)...sian!

btw,how old are you eh?Im 21....

hehe who says there's no discus hobbyists in Singapore..there are tons and you can find them at www.aquarealms.com :)

NoizChip
07-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and there's a bunch of great information to catch up on. Sorry it took so long to get to this thread.

I'm just NE of Orlando, Fl in Winter Park. It's about an hour to Mickey Mouse; 1/2 hr to Sea World and Universal and 3.5 hrs to Wattleys. We have a few too many traffic lights, but nobody pays attention to them anyway.

Chip

Ryan
07-16-2002, 12:49 AM
Chip,

I am about 40 miles northwest of Daytona Beach, in the very tip of Volusia County (about 2 miles from the Putnam County line)... I'm only about an hour's drive from you, probably. I've been meaning to take a little road trip to Wattley's but it's hard to find the time. I'd like to go check out a hatchery for myself :)

Ryan

NoizChip
07-16-2002, 08:45 PM
Hey Ryan,

Your not far away at all. Near Lake George? I went down to Wattleys and met Gabe a few weeks ago and brought back 6 fish that are doing fine. Gabes a great guy and it was nice to finally see a place in person that I had only seen on the net. I don't know that many people in the area with Discus and haven't seen many other set ups than what I see/read here so it was a revelation for me.

Let me know if your in the area, bored and have a few minutes to drop by.

Chip

Ryan
07-16-2002, 11:10 PM
Chip,

LOL, I am about 5 minutes from Lake George. I live in Seville. Very small town, very quiet.. but I grew up here and I love it. When I get my job (if I get it, *fingers crossed*) I'm contemplating a move to an apartment in Deland or Daytona, closer to school. The 45 minute one-way drive really wreaks havoc on my car (and my wallet, when it comes time for gas money)...

Nice to meet a fellow central Floridian :)

Ryan

davej
07-20-2002, 05:34 AM
Fayetteville, Arkansas Wooo Piggggg Sooooie!

07-20-2002, 09:49 AM
Hi all

I live in Sunrise FL, Home of the Florida Panthers.
As a Hockey fan that’s of course very convenient.

Regards Discuss: I guess we have the worst water in the US
But hey we love challenges right ?
Also have 2 very competent people nearby which are Gabe from Wattley Discus and Jerry Baer aka Yogi, both have helped me big time. I moved from Germany (30years) back to the USA and had a hard time with the Water here and simple things like were to get things, names of products for Discus and so on.

Ronald

jlss
07-21-2002, 10:44 PM
Hi: All

I'm new to the forum and Discus.
I live just North of Cincinnati Ohio.

jlss

Noviceelite
07-23-2002, 02:11 AM
Hi and greetings from Sweden a little town called Kumla 2 hours southwest of Stockholm

bokgrasul
08-21-2002, 08:25 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience with us!
For me ,it really helps!
8)

pops
09-08-2002, 03:55 PM
so bill_p where are u from? :) :)

BLUEKNIGHT
09-23-2002, 11:27 AM
Hi All
I am from chicago IL.

TOMMY
09-24-2002, 04:34 PM
NYC...actually born and raised in HI, moved to NYC and found a job. The rent sky rocketed here in the city so I was forced to move out to NJ right across the Lincoln tunnel. But I still work in the city.

-Tom-

Ivan
11-13-2002, 10:27 PM
Hi all I'm from the little country with the big idiot in charge. It's not his fault tho'. I live in a little town called Wakefield near Leeds, in West Yorkshire England.

harry
01-04-2003, 10:49 AM
i also live in west yorkshire ,about 9miles from ivan ,near the dales,

Tonyintx
01-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Hi Tony Serna here, San Antonio,TX I just started with Discus again didn't have much luck the first time and this time I really messed things up but once again gonna start from scatch and hopefully be sucessfull this time. everyone cross your fingers.

Discusgeo
01-13-2003, 08:44 PM
Tony just hang out here, everyone will help you out and I think you won't have a problem raising discus again.
George in Phoenix, AZ

Tonyintx
01-14-2003, 09:22 AM
Thanks George I hoping. :D

espitzer
01-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm in CT, in the beautiful town of Ridgefield. I've heard that those of you in the Northeast have had at least 1 face to face meeting and I'm hoping there's another one coming up soon. Let me know!

Eric

ReeferKimberly
02-16-2003, 07:30 AM
Roseville California, just northeast of sacramento. gooo kings! well that's what my dad would want me to write.... nice to meet everyone, hope there are some people in cali over here!
:-*kim

DIZ
02-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Hi live in New Jersey Edison 20 miles south of Newark airport
DIZ

lovdiscus
02-17-2003, 09:43 AM
My name is Donna and I am located near Leavenworth, Kansas...just north of KC....I have a web site.....check it out at www.djshatchery.com
I would love to get together with other Discus fanatics in the area....that would be great!!
Keep me posted if any meetings get arranged.
Thanks!
Have a great Day!!

amirnezhad
02-21-2003, 07:28 AM
I'm from Iran..
far away from most of you guys.
I live in Tehran and its the biggest city of Iran but Unfortunately I can not find most of things I think is neccessary to take complete care of Discuc (like live foods, and some ther staff) :(

This is the best forum I have ever seen about fishes and I think anyone can have nice time with his Discuses if he know here :)

--Thanks

brewmaster15
02-21-2003, 10:46 AM
Hi Kim, DIZ, Donna, and Ali Amirnezhad!!!!

Welcome to the forum!!! :), I'm glad you found us and hope the site is very useful to you!

Take care,
al

April
02-21-2003, 11:34 PM
hi and welcome everyone.
ivan.love the pic. love pics of yorkshire. i have the picture book of yorkshire from the james harriet show...had yorkshire terriers so needed the book to see the country. lol
hi donna and kim...and..Diz and ali.
glad you found simply and hope you enjoy it. 8)

Anna Piranha
02-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Hello! I live in Coopersburg, Pennsylvania. It is 62 miles north of Philadelphia, 78 miles west of New York, 3 hours north of Washington DC and about 15 miles south of Allentown, PA. I work near Valley Forge, PA, which is just outside of Philadelphia.

It's awesome here, because I have the benefit of a beautiful rural area within commuting proximity of the major cities. Yes...I have also done short-term engagements in DC. By the way, it was nice to get an idea of where everyone is located. Thanks for starting this topic!

Anna Bandana Pirahna :bandana:

PARCS46
03-30-2003, 10:24 PM
Hi Bill: DD here. I'm located in Astoria, Queens County NY. I've been in and out of this great hobby for over fifty years, just recently back at it. I'm also looking to buddy up as it really enhances breeding/rearing Discus. When you have some buddies you share experiences, knowledge and more important kinshship. So if there is anybody out there in Queens, give me a holler,my e is open in profile: Sincerely, :wave: :wave:(Discus Devil)

sindelle
04-10-2003, 07:41 AM
Hiya I wa here awhile ago but work and other things kept me away for awhile.There is so much to read that i never knew this was here! Im from Parma,ohio just outside of Cleveland but i grew up in Marrietta,ohio and spent some time in WV. all my babies are from Mike Wells!!

angel12
05-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Well I come from Manchester U.K "the rainy city" http://opkikkertje.nl/smilies/weer/5regen.gif
not far from Ivan who has been a real help ..
and guess what it is doing today ... yes your right its http://opkikkertje.nl/smilies/weer/6regen.gif

ReeferKimberly
05-17-2003, 08:32 PM
roseville ca, here is a view.. ;D

snowfire
05-18-2003, 12:41 AM
Hi all,

Pretty view Kimberly!

I am in New Jersey. I guess I am going to have to get some fish from Tyler soon. I just have to figure out where to put more fish tanks.

Anastasia

Very Fishy
05-27-2003, 10:40 AM
I live in Oakville, Ontario, on the shores of Lake Ontario just west of Toronto.

Jean
06-10-2003, 02:14 PM
;DHi All!

Been a member here for a bit...just not posted much tho so far.

I am from Freedom, WI. Woooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo!
Small country town USA. No stop lights, enough stop signs to count on one hand. More cows that people I am sure. :P
It is about 20 miles Southwest of Green Bay---home of the
Green Bay Packers ;D and about a 2 hour drive north of Milwaukee

I had discus first many years ago... didn't know squat then... needless to say things didn't go so well. Now I am here again and doing much better and more informed thanks to good friends and the internet! ;D My addiction has grown dramatically over the last several months....I am doomed! ::)

Jean ;D 8)

Jeff
06-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Hey Jean good to see you. ;)

Jean
06-12-2003, 03:53 PM
'Tanks' Jeff!

Jean ;D 8)

Carol_Roberts
06-12-2003, 05:14 PM
HI Jean:
At least our discus compulsion is more socially acceptable than gambling and drinking ;D

Fisheyes
06-12-2003, 08:50 PM
Hi All
:cowboy:I live in the Stampede city of
Calgary Alberta Canada.
60 min from the Rockies where the head water of the Bow River trickle down and through the city of Calgary

Home of the best wild rainbow fishing in the world.

Fisheyes :crazy:

susankay1
07-28-2003, 11:21 AM
Susan and Bill, near Anderson Indiana. We are kinda new to discus, Bill had them back in the 70s, when your choice was blue, blue or blue....big changes since then. We travel all over with our work so we would love to see other peoples operations. We just have 2 tanks (for now) but I can see it getting out of hand in the future. Happy Discusing to everyone!

Carol_Roberts
07-28-2003, 07:26 PM
Hi Susan and bill :wave: Welcome to SimplyDiscus.

Aren't all the new colors fun! Which colors do you have now?

susankay1
07-29-2003, 11:32 PM
Hi Carol, thanks...we have blue diamonds, gold caps, red tigers, golden browns, violet reflex, pigeonx snakeskins, golden pigeons. Love them all, my cats love them too, they have a mutual attraction to each other. Sorry for the grainy picture. :)

Carol_Roberts
07-30-2003, 01:57 AM
Cute picture - that sounds like a nice variety 8)

Kersten
08-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Hi to all,

I am from Prague, Czech Republic in the middle of old Europe :jester:

Kersten

Kersten
08-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Hi,

in the moment I dont have any picture of my tanks and fishes on my web. THis web is concopated as a generally infor,ation web about discus in czech to inform people about keeping and breeding discus, water chemisrty, filtration etc. All the pictures are from my archive, some iI have made on breeders visits and from some exhibitions like the Discus show in Duisburg, Germany.

Best regards from Prague,
Kersten

Ardan
08-25-2003, 07:48 PM
Welcome everyone,

Nice pictures on the czech website Kersten, some interesting discus that I have not seen before.
Glad the world is connected through the internet.
I am not able to read the language but it looks like a fair amount of information is shared :)

fishboy
10-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Hey,

I live just 10 minutes south of Cincinnati, OH in northern KY. No great scenic spots close by, but about an hour and a half away(south east) is the Red River Gorge in the Daniel Boone National Forest...beautiful hiking, waterfalls, natural bridges, caves, 500 ft cliffs, and pristine streams. Any body live in the Tri-State area?

Mike

Mike...
I'm in cleves by 275.... do you go to the gcas meetings? 8)

nowings
10-08-2003, 10:11 AM
PALM BAY, FLORIDA....ABOUT 1 HOUR SOUTH OF ORLANDO ON THE EAST COAST!!!!

NANCY

10-20-2003, 12:46 PM
HI To All Discus Connosseiurs:

My name is Angie and I reside in the NYC vicinity. I work in the capacity of word processing/desktop publishing and administrative duties for a leading law firm. On my spare time I enjoy listening to music, playing my piano, flutes and timbalitos, drawing and painting, planting tropical wild orchids and plants/trees. I also enjoy cooking. My newest hobby (by accident but don't feel guilty at) is keeping aquariums (Discus and Catfish). I am HOOKED on Discus!!!

After 9/11/2001 and the decease of my "mom" (which is my grandma) on 7/15/2002, I kind of appreciate all that is living more than ever. I tend to grasp at caring for living creatures and land. I participate in the movement on preserving wild lands for the wild creatures. I am against hunger and the no-rights and freedom and no human-rights for people worldwide. I find this very disturbing that in our times we have people suffering only because they cannot live like human beings. Incredible.

When I get tired of the repetitions of my hobbies, I notice that I scout for new ones. Do any of you do this??? :D Not that I am tired of it but I need more to motivate me so I don't spend time thinking about all that has occurred since 9/11/2001. By the way, I am very grateful that the occurrence did not occur on the MONDAY before. I work maybe five blocks away from the WTC!!! and I'm off on Tuesday.

Another incident is Flight #587 (en route to Santo Domingo which fell on Far Rockaway, Queens) flew directly over my house while I was in the bathroom! This occurred maybe a month later. So with that, I tend to grasp the beauty of life and try to experience all that need to be experienced and that is gratifying and relaxing. Flight 587 was so low that my mom witnessed its dissembling!

We have a lot to be grateful for. Really, we do.

Thanks for reading my post. Sort of long. But I've read many of your posts. :D I never get tired of reading them. Sometimes I get lost and forget where the postings are but then I'd find it within 24 hours. So my latest hobby is FINDING YOUR POSTINGS!!! ;D ;D ;D

Peace & Love & Flowers to ya... **Fry Girl Angie**

limige
10-30-2003, 09:05 AM
wow, well hi angie, 9/11 has touched all of our hearts, many of us have freinds and loved ones across seas as a direct result of it. it's good you realize how precious life is, i think many of us fishkeepers are slightly more aware than others. it is such an awesome thing to be able to breed fish such as discus, to watch the parents feed and nurture them. i can't imagine what life has been like in new york.

as for me, i live in
DETROIT ROCK CITY
home of the red wings, kid rock, eminem, and of course me lol.

well actually i live in harper woods just on the northside of detroit. i'm right near lake st. clair. i love to fish and hunt, if anyone is in the neighborhood to visit cary or passing through your welcome to drop by. so far i have a couple of turks pairs breeding hopefully soon my bd/cobalt and if i'm lucky some rsg's.

susankay1
10-30-2003, 06:20 PM
A tiny town in Central Indiana just north east of Indy, very close to Anderson.

FishRule
12-08-2003, 07:32 PM
San Diego, California here. :)

nazangels
12-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Just read this entire post and didn't see anyone from Colorado! I'm in Greeley, just an hour away from Denver, where the 2004 ACA is being held. Surely there are some discus people in Colorado! :lurk:
Beth

Galina
12-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Angie, beautiful post. Thank you.

12-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Hello Galina:

Thanks for your compliments. I hope you didn't mind me elaborating a bit much. ;) Have a good day!

Angie

Claw69
12-29-2003, 08:25 PM
Hello all,
I'm in Colorado Springs, Colorado Anybody else in Colorado?

Dennis

Rick_May
12-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Hi all,
I make it a habit of reading the "where are you" posts as I'm interested in finding connections in the hobby. Let me make a suggestion, place your marker on the members map. It just makes it easier to find people. Here’s instructions on how to do it. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=14565 (http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=14565) another suggestion is to include your city and state in your profile, if you add your city and state to your signature it will appear on all your posts.

Abercrombie6202
01-06-2004, 05:20 PM
I guess i've never seen this thread before, lol

My names Adam and i'm up here in Rochester, Ny so if you ever come up here gimme an e-mail.

Augusto
01-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Hi, i am from Santos - Brasil :)

Joao
02-02-2004, 12:37 AM
Hi Friends

I'm from Lisboa Portugal 8) , but been living in Toronto ;) for the last 10 years.

I'm trying to form a Discus Club of Toronto association with some meetings in the near future, just waiting for all the input of local breeders and discus fans as well anyone interested to join the club, and participate in the meetings.

Joao de Sa

:D :D :D
l

Fish Addict
04-24-2004, 03:32 PM
I am from Vietnam. My sister and I escaped Vietnam to Malaysia in 1989, and lived in the refugee camp for four years. We have been living in Chicago since 1993. ;D

Scrappi_tt
05-07-2004, 09:32 PM
I live in Trinidad as in the Caribbean island Trinidad of Trinidad and Tobago..... Anyone else live here? ???

Rui Pedro
09-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Hello!!

I´m new here!
This is my first post! :-[

I am from Portugal, my city is Guimarães, I will post some pictors for you to see..

This is the top of the castell..
http://mauromars.no.sapo.pt/blogimagens/Guimaraes3.jpg

and this is where I live..
http://mauromars.no.sapo.pt/blogimagens/Guimaraes4.jpg

;DAté sempre...

discusnutz
09-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Hi Rui,

your city looks very nice, lots of greenery!

Welcome to Simply.... it is an awesome site...lots of very knowledgable people here. (not me tho, I still have much to learn! lol ) ;D

Do you have discus?

regards............Brenda

Rui Pedro
09-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Hi Brenda!

Your right, this forum is amasing, I learn a lot of thing´s here!

I have six Discos, but last weck, one die ???, but I still have four and beautiful :D, and they locke fine!

I will post some pictures of my discos in the post of fotos! ;)

Rui

discusnutz
09-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi again Rui,

I will watch for your photos, ;D

Take Care.........Brenda

dantouan
12-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi everyone , i am from Greece and i live in Athens.

victor
12-09-2004, 08:23 PM
im the only one here from israel? :scared:

Ax
12-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Origenly from Kiev, Ukraine:alien: . For the last few years, I live in Saskatoon, Canada. :D

RyanGSP
12-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Im here in Taber Alberta. Not much here. 2 Great people that i know in my area. I got Darcy and Devon. 2 great guys. Anyone else in alberta?? I got 7 Discus 6 Red Turqs and a BD. Looking to get into Saltwater Also. Do we still have the map of where everyone is if so whats the URl the old one isnt working.

Marian
12-14-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm from ROMANIA and I think i'm alone

monover
12-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi,i'm from Alicante,in the south of Spain.This is the best place in the world :D

Eddie
12-29-2004, 01:48 AM
I'm actually from California but being that I'm in the Military, I've lived in several places. I've lived in Arkansas, Rota Spain, and now I'm in the Azores Portugal. It's okay here. I can't get any quality fish, which is a total bummer. I'm so jealous of all you guys :p
I'm from all over Cali. Grew up in the south Bay Area, lived in Santa Maria for 3 or 4 years and I was born in Oxnard California. I'm just a travellin mat I guess. I think I will be off to England next year. ;)

rsawest@yahoo.com
01-01-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm from the balmy state known as Minnesota, St. Paul to be exact or, actually, Mendota Heights, a suburb of St. Paul.

Truelies
01-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Hello everyone and happy new year!!

I'm From Saudi Arabia living in Eastern province in Dammam, which is too close to Bahrain.

Regards,
Truelies

VOYTEK
01-02-2005, 06:33 PM
HELLO !!!

what about new yorkers huh ?

voytek,

ps. NYC, Queens :)

AsTuCe
01-08-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm probably the only one around here, but I'm from Quebec, Qc, Canada :wave: And I'm new on this forum, so nice to meet ya all ;)

Drew

April
01-08-2005, 10:43 PM
hi there. welcome from B.C.
actually ..i think our webdesigner for simplys library etc is from quebec.Ethancote.

Stephish
01-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Born/raised/living in Toronto, apart from a stint at McGill U. in Montreal.

(I've also got relatives in Vancouver/Nanaimo so I've been "enlightened" about the west, April!) ;)

wvt9527
01-13-2005, 02:09 PM
HOWDY I'm from you guessed it Texas. Just found this web from danDman. Its the best one I have come across yet. Just remember to your discus love. They know when you do.

April
01-18-2005, 03:54 AM
hi there stepfish . cool..well..you really need to go west young man. . have you heard the song..toronto sucks? lol. by the arrogant worms.
well glad to meet a fellow canuck. i havent been to toronto..
hi there wvt9527 welcome to simply. glad your enjoying it.

yippy
01-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Im from Oz but its too hot here - is Canoz still open Pril?????????????

Kerry

April
01-18-2005, 11:24 PM
yeah its too cold here..canoz is juuuuuuuuust right. meet yah there.

yippy
01-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Im here waitin in Canoz Pril. :D

Its beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful.

Theres a nice lake for Brutie, a nice lake for the discus, neons, rams and gouramis, and nice little weenie ponds for the bettas. And a real nice little pond for the corys and the bristlenoses with algae for them to eat on the rocks.

Brutie loves it, hes been chasing Canozian feeder fish all morning. He never wants to leave, he cancelled his return ticket back to Oz with QUANTAS. Come to think of it, I think Ill prop here for good myself.

April
01-20-2005, 11:53 PM
did you fly via quantas or qantas? if you flew quantas..then i guess theres such thing..i hear its never crashed. : )
ill be right there.

wvt9527
01-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Well everybody seams to have problems with stop lights & how many stop signs they have. I think everyone should move to Houston were we dont need them cause they are allways working on the steets & highways making traffic move so slow that you never get over 20 mph. Oh by the way I live about 50 miles from danDman in the lovely Houston TX. Drop by anytime you feel like putting uo with the traffic. Walter P.S. If you know to much of everything. You will never know enought of one thing.

Big Brian
01-21-2005, 12:02 PM
SCOTLAND

approx 2500 miles NE New York City..............

funkyfish
03-04-2005, 09:49 PM
southern indiana by louisville not far from rocky mountain discus love to met some ppl from my area with discus

wvt9527
03-05-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm from Houston Tx. now living in Jacinto City Tx. It just outside Houston

simkey
03-05-2005, 08:59 AM
I am from Ljubljana in Slovenia, 2 milions people live in my country.I have only 38 discus in my tanks.Nice forum!Hello to everybody........... ;) ;) ;)

sidra
03-05-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm on Long Island, NY. I saw a post in this thread from 2002 by RichieE on Long Island. You mentioned a couple breeders here. I don't know about them. Are you still on this forum?

Anyone else from Long Island, NY?

madcowl
03-05-2005, 12:16 PM
i'm in ravenna , michigan u.s.a. zip 49451

i'm new to the discus world but have been lucky enough to have met
ryan h., joe spanilolo and cary strong who all have lots of knowledge on discus fish . joe and ryan are within 30 minutes of me and cary is a 3hr drive .

joe , ryan and myself are about 3 to 4 hrs north of indiana, illinois , and ohio borders .

i have had email contact with others in michigan but only met the 3 so far . i am looking forward to meeting the others too .

since i dont have the room for a "fish room" , i am currently building a
"fish wall" instead !!

ted evans

maine07
03-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Hi,

I'm from Singapore. It's nice to know there's so many people throughout the world having discus. Do we have many female hobbyists in this forum? I will be glad to be introduce to them.

Cheers,
Charmaine :bounce: :bounce:

oodi
03-07-2005, 01:38 PM
WOW... it's good to see so many from so many different places!!!

Charmaine... there are a few of us out here! :thumbsup:

Judi
:)

Alight
03-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Still looking for Discus owners in the Salt Lake City area. I live in Park City, UT.

Anyone know of any decent stores in this area that carry Discus?

I may need to unload a few in the near future.

Notice some people in the Las Vegas area. Any good stores down there?

Alight

yann
03-12-2005, 04:01 AM
Hi ! :)

i'm from France, exactly near Lyon; i'm very happy to find this forum!

HELLO ! to all discus lover around the world ! :fish:

bye !

yann

sidra
03-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Bonjour Yann,

Coment allez vouz? Vouz amore le discus? Okay, that's it for me :o . And that's probably not very good. I wish I remembered more french from school.

Anyway, you will find this a very imformative forum.

Welcome.

Kristen

yann
03-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Hello Sidra ! :D

your french is good !!! (correction: :D comment allez vous, vous aimez le discus !)

thanks for welcome me on this great forum !

bye

yann

sidra
03-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Yann

Je suis embarrasse`. I could not remember a simple word like aime. I guess I should stick with the greeting.

Kristen

aloha_discus
03-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Hafa Dai, Aloha, and all that. I was born on Guam then raised in Hawaii and now reside in Corn Country ( GO BiG RED ) Nebraska.

Ike

Ardan
03-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Welcome everybody! :) :)

It sure is neat to see people from all over the world and from different states in the U.S.! :)

Ardan

I think I posted it before, but I am in Wisconsin, USA.

Doug A
04-23-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm from Closter NJ. About 20 min. outside of NYC. Been reading the info on this site for a few weeks now.

Just met Al (Brewmaster) today. I had such a great time meeting with him. He is a really nice guy. Saw some really nice discus and of course talked about discus. This was my first time meeting someone, face to face, that is just as crazy (or crazier) about discus as I am. :D

It would be cool to start up a Northeast Discus Group and meet once a month (or a couple of times a year) with others from the area.

Doug

Giniel
04-24-2005, 02:16 AM
Hi I love in Russellville Arkansas,that is about 75 miles west of Little rock. I have been in discus for about 4 years and on this forum for about 2 years now.Great information to be found here. I am also a beginning hobby breeder.
Thanks to carol and a few others .
Debbie

chris allsop
04-24-2005, 07:23 AM
Im from mansfield, nottingham in the uk.
Ever heard of robin hood?
Thats were im from!!

utiliy
04-25-2005, 06:20 PM
i'm from vincennes, indiana...just an hour away from rocky mountain discus...that where i started the discus hobby.

Mountain Man
06-17-2005, 01:21 PM
been away from the forum for quite some time ! but still trying to breed discus ! and yes today I have some wrigglers ! will keep taking pictures ! both of us are glad to be back in the forum ! we are from New Brunswick Canada !

thanks to this forum we have succeeded !

Martin
06-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Denmark

:wave:

KIWI13
06-20-2005, 08:40 AM
This is where I am from...........
Auckland N.Z.

KIWI13
06-20-2005, 08:44 AM
And here is where i'm at ... TODAY..

MArseille FRANCE

frenchdiscus
06-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Are you serving the Pastis, or the Pernod?

Olivier

KIWI13
06-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Bonjour Olivier,

I believe I am serving the Pastis.... LOL There is only one drink to drink when it's 33°c out here in summer and thats a nice cool pastis with a nice slice of pizza YUMMMYYY

R U comin over ?? Should I serve the drink yet or wait till you get here ;) ?

Do you speak french ??

Butch
06-20-2005, 07:07 PM
I am from the Bayou State which is Louisiana. I live in
Prairieville, which is about 6 miles out of Baton Rouge on the
way to New Orleans, another 50 miles. Lots of good food and
drink and stuff to do.
The photo is looking west from my camp in the marsh just north
of the Gulf of Mexico.

Butch :)

frenchdiscus
06-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Salut Jason,
Yes I do speak French, since I was born and lived 26 years over there, Béthune (Pas de Calais, 62, near Vimy Ridge...), I'm coming in August so keep the Pastis and the ice ready, I also like Grenadine in it..., we should talk... pm me or e-mail me: olivier_bailleul@yahoo.ca

Salut
Olivier

KIWI13
06-24-2005, 04:23 AM
Bon Olivier j'ai déja ecrit un message à toi. Au cas ou voila un nouveau. C'est formidable de trover un français perdu à Canada LOL. Un peau comme un Neo Zélandais perdu en France. Si tu veux le pastis est bien froid aujourd hui parce que il fait super chaud ce matin. 32°c à l'ombre. Mais par contre j'ai pas besoin de chauffer le bac.

Bon à +

jason

liz
11-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Scotland.

Edlund
11-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Sweden!.Ever heard ABBA? :)

White Worm
11-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Vacaville California, smack dab in the middle of San Francisco and Sacramento. Been a discus fan for about a year now and preparing to get into breeding for a hobby, maybe a little extra money but they are just too cool to get rid of. I might end up keeping them all:D Mike

Resinman
11-09-2005, 03:02 AM
Hi Guys been away from the hobby for awhile :)
I am frome mississauga Canada and I am one of the original members of NADS. A big central filtration guy :) Hence the resin columns. Anyways still tryin to get the hang og the website.

Brent

Upper Canada
11-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Brent,

Good to see you are here, I am sure many can benefit from your experience.

We last met at Sam,s last Spring, remember?

I am just outside of Barrie, Ontario.

Bob,

Upper Canada Discus

Resinman
11-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi Bob

Of course I remember. I am building my new hatchery in the north part of Brampton. I really like the way you have set up your hatchery. I love hatcheries that are neat and organized with some thought given to the different componants. You can't believe the satisfaction I am feeling to be involved again in the hobby. This site is a breath of fresh air and once I get a better feel for it I will contribute what I can to help if I can.

Right now I have been importing stock and trying to be patient waiting for them to grow. I am splitting the hatchery in 2 sections shortly. It is one system now and I am using exchange resins to control my water. The fish are finally growing well. It is all starting to fall back into place.

Anyways I am glad you remember me and I would like to invite you and anyone else that would like to see how I do things. It is a growing project but I am getting there.

Glad to talk to all.

Brent

ATOZ DISCUS
11-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Lost in Jersey at the moment (2 yrs, 4 months, and way too many days so far)...can't wait to get out and move back to Cape Cod...that's still 6 months away.

CAGE-RATTLER
11-15-2005, 12:31 AM
I guess i should add my info here too.

Im in baltimore, MD. and i guess i should be thankful the good quality tap water here .....lol. Right out of the tap my PH is about 7.2 so i just fill right from the tap and add Prime. So far so good.

Any other members from maryland here?
I could use all the tips and info i can get when i try my hand at breeding down the road and some local help would be great.

KingDiscus
01-05-2006, 02:59 AM
I'm in NJ too, I started back into discus again bit by the bug, then bit by the larger tank bug.. after a long 3 year layoff, before that had been in and out of it for about 10 years...

Kindredspirit
01-10-2006, 10:13 PM
I am in Sacramento, California~

And I am not going to get one more discus.

Ever. In my life. I am done!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_206.gif

Marie~

jim_shedden
01-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Until tomorrow Marie:):):)
ya ya ya ya ya

jim

Kindredspirit
01-10-2006, 11:46 PM
I am sooooooooooo serious, Guys. I meant it...

nada~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_20.gif

do you know how many I have? I started off w/ Ms. Pringles from the lfs 7 months ago! and now I have four tanks...22! omg....i have 22 discus....what am I going to do with 22 discus?...

i never counted them before~

Marie~

traco
01-11-2006, 12:30 AM
And keep counting cuz babies come next, ya know?http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_11.gif That's how Mother Nature works.

cobaltblue
01-11-2006, 01:16 AM
do you know how many I have? I started off w/ Ms. Pringles from the lfs 7 months ago! and now I have four tanks...22! omg....i have 22 discus....what am I going to do with 22 discus?...

Hey Marie, 22 DISCUS!!!!! Holy Crap thats alot of fish eh? Just wait until they start having babies, oh what fun you will have. Barbs right. You better start saving and making room for a few big grow out tanks....and order some more sponge filters...and...and..

Kindredspirit
01-11-2006, 11:51 AM
You better start saving and making room for a few big grow out tanks....and order some more sponge filters...and...and..

Did you still need some help with those smileys, Chris??

Well Too Bad!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_12_22.gif

Marie~

Timbo
01-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Did you still need some help with those smileys, Chris??

no more smilies pls..they're evil! :)

Kindredspirit
01-21-2006, 02:34 AM
They are not evil Timbohttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_29.gif

candyl70
01-21-2006, 03:01 PM
LMAO Timbo!! Evil???

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_58.gif

geodehunter
01-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Hello everyone!!! My name is Robbie and I live in Hamilton, Ill. I don't think there is anyone on the forum that is very close to me. I am retired and am in the process of gathering up parts and pieces to put together my first Discus tank. I have been tinkering with fish on and off for the better part of 40 years. From freshwater to saltwater. I am really glad that I found this forum. There seems to be a wealth of information and people that really know there p's and q's when it comes to Discus here. Anyway that's a little bit of info. on myself. Take care everybody, Robbie

White Worm
01-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Robbie....welcome....now....change your avatar because it is used by a well known person to frequent this site, lol.

geodehunter
01-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Mikscus, Thank you for the welcome!!! I do appreciate it. Now about the avatar. I did steal it from someone here on the forum. I sure hope that I have not offended anyone by using it. I thought that Discus in the avatar was stunning. If you want me to remove/change it I will. Just let me know. Take care.

Kenny's Discus
01-22-2006, 09:30 PM
lol yes Robbie you need to change the avatar I think too because that belongs to the OWNER of this site..............JMO.

Welcome to simply BTW.

Kenny

geodehunter
01-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks guy's!!! I changed it. I don't think anybody has the one I have now. That would have been great to have the owner of the site see that and boot me off before I even got started. :)

Tony_S
01-23-2006, 03:41 AM
That would have been great to have the owner of the site see that and boot me off before I even got started. :)

Welcome Robbie...
OOOOooooo!! You dont wanna piss Al off....cranky ol' fart!:mad:

Truthfully though...
Its pretty tough to piss Al off.... trust me,I try all the time! For years actually!!
He just shakes his head at me, kicks my *** when needed....
For a while I was starting to think my REAL name was "WHAT THE HELL WHERE YOU THINKING??!!" cause thats the way every PM started!! LMAO!!;)

I think I have a permanent imprint of the sole of his boot on my ***....:D

Tony

Eyal
02-06-2007, 01:29 PM
My name is Eyal . I'm from Israel 33 yrs married+2 i live in a town called Tiberias which lays next to the sea of Galilee
( where Jesus walked on water )

Greg Richardson
02-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Welcome Eyal. I'd love to see a big picture of that fish in your avator.

Ax
02-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Great to have you here, (I too would like to see that discus in a full size photograph)

mandisc
02-08-2007, 12:43 AM
hi i'm from a tiny island call SINGAPORE . SOUTH EAST ASIA but with lots n lots of DISCUS ! ! !

Mangalman
03-21-2016, 11:24 AM
I am a New Member and have kept tropicals and Koi over the years. I also keep orchids and the plant life in tanks is as much interest to me as are the fish. I've for years wanted to try discus ( I did once without success). I am wanting to read and learn all I can now with the possibility of setting up a tank for them. I and VERY newbie and am leaning toward refugium but need to do a lot more book work before I know which direction to go. I'd love to try 55 gal with plants. I could go to a size larger tank but space is an issue at the moment. Thanks. Would love hearing from any informative fish keepers out there. I have a lot of catching up to do. LUKE Still trying to figure out yet how the posting works etc.

rickztahone
03-21-2016, 09:03 PM
I know you mention that space is an issue, but the 75g footprint is much better than that of a 55g. The 55g, especially if you plan to go with plants will become very small, very quickly.

Welcome to the forum Llewellyn :)

VW Freshwater
03-24-2016, 09:53 PM
Hello All! I am strongly considering downsizing my angelfish breeding and trying my hand with discus. Live in Phoenix, AZ now. Grew up in the midwest. I currently run around 65-70 tanks.

Cowgirl79
03-31-2016, 08:05 AM
Hello Everyone! I'm a rather newbie to Discus and am looking for some local reputable sellers in Oregon. Any suggestions?

Poppa Ryno
05-31-2016, 12:54 AM
Checking in from Lawrence, KS. Discus are my passion. Ive bred several strains. Im currently working with a few cross pairs, checkerboard turquoise, & sapphire ruby breeding pairs. Heres some 19day old sapphire ruby fry.
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o746/popparyno/Mobile%20Uploads/20160528_133058_HDR_zpsfrgnsjmg.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/popparyno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160528_133058_HDR_zpsfrgnsjmg.jpg.html)
Would love to hear from others in the midwest

LLKing
09-18-2016, 12:40 PM
Hope its ok that I post in this rather old thread.

I live in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.

I have had tropical fish for years, but just recently got into discus.

Bc chick
09-18-2016, 12:43 PM
welcome. this is the best forum you can find. im new as well. just got my first batch. also have had tropical for years. what size tank do you have and what in it?