PDA

View Full Version : Mysis Shrimp-Natural History and as fish food.......

brewmaster15
07-26-2002, 06:24 PM
Mysis relicta- Natural History and as Food for Fish
Al Sabetta 7/2002

Native and Introduced History
Mysis relicta evolved as a fresh water shrimp from another shrimp, Mysis oculata, thru a process where melting glaciers decreased the saline content waters that M. oculata lived in. The shrimp adapted and evolved into the fresh water species known as Mysis relicta. This shrimp is naturally found in some northern Lakes of North America where it plays a very important part in the food chain, notably in the Great lakes region where it feeds primarily on phytoplankton., and is consumed by many native fish that it evolved with. It has acquired the common name of opossum shrimp.
Because of its role in the Great Lakes Food chain, this shrimp was artificially introduced into other northern lakes in the United States and Canada in the hopes that it would serve as a food source for various important salmon species. This was done in the 1940s in a British Columbia lake, Lake Kootenay. The target predator was to be the Sockeye Salmon, [Oncorhynchus nerka. These salmon are then fed on by very large strain of rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss ,known as Gerrard trout. It was hoped this would boost the Gerrard Trouts Populations, but it didn’t. It did however boost another population of Salmon, Kokanee.and which resulted in an excellent sports fishery for the next couple of decades, until the Kokanee population crashed in the 1990’s for what is thought to be many reasons, including the Mysis.

The success of Lake Kootenay introduction lead to further introductions elsewhere where the Kokanee Salmon existed, in the hopes that it would do the same there . In 1966 the shrimp were introduced to Okanagan Lake - British Columbia., where the shrimp populations grew to very high densities , and the Kokanee salmon population Crashed. Researchers discovered that though the Mysis shrimp were a great food source for the Kokanee adults, the Mysis shrimp were preying on the fry of the salmon! The densities in this Lake grew to such proportions that it now supports a commercial shrimp fishery, Piscine Energetics (Mysis.com), which supplies this shrimp as food for Aquarium fish.

In other Lakes where they have been introduced, like Flathead Lake-Montana, the shrimp have also had a negative impact on the natural ecosystems. In general introductions of exotic species in any ecosystem, usually have a very negative impact on the native flora and fauna.. This has been demonstrated time after time.

Biology and reproduction….
The biology of these shrimp is direct without any naupliar stages, meaning from hatching the young look like the adults only smaller. Upon hatching they go thru several stages of growth called instars, where they shed their chitinous exoskeleton so that growth may occur. Males have four instar stages of development, females have five stages. Sexual maturity is usually 1 year, but in colder lakes , can be up to two years. Mating typically occurs in the winter, the males then die and the females remain alive for several more months , carrying the fertilized eggs in a special brood pouch (the source of its common name- Opossum Shrimp). The eggs hatch in 3-4 months and the young emerge fully developed..

Mysis as an Aquarium Fish Food…
As stated earlier the high populations and nutritious composition of Mysis relicta has created an opportunity for commercial harvesting , packaging, and marketing of this product for public, private, and institutional use as a healthy fish food. There are many benefits associated with Mysis relicta as a food source, foremost among them are a high protein content and an excellent fatty acid profile.

The following Nutritional analysis was generously provided by Piscine Energetics (Mysis.com)

Frozen Mysis (% concentration)
·***Protein 10.46
·***Crude Fat 3.29
·***Moisture 82.27
·***Ash 1.65
·***Carbohydrates (by subtraction) 2.3
Freeze Dried Mysis (% concentration)
·***Min Crude Protein 69.5
·***Min crude Fat 8.35
·***Max crude fiber 2.75
·***Max ash 5.5

Fatty Acid % Profile of Freeze Dried Mysis

·***C14:0…………Myristate…...……..8.47mg/g
·***C16:0…………Palmitate…..……...24.73mg/g
·***C16:1…………Palmitoleate……….11.59mg/g
·***C18:0…………Stearate……..……..0.89mg/g
·***C18:1…………Oleate……………..17.07mg/g
·***C18:2(n-6)……Linoleate…………..7.39 mg/g
·***C20.0…………Arachidate………....0.00mg/g
·***C18:3(n-3)……Linolenate…………..7.14 mg/g
·***C20:1…………Eicosaenoate………. 0.00mg/g
·***C20:3(n-3)……Eicosatrienoate….….9.87 mg/g
·***C20:4(n-6)……Eicosatetraenoate…...0.00mg/g
·***C20:5(n-3)……Eicosapentaenoic…...17.85mg/g
·***C24:0…………Nervonate…………...0.00mg/g
·***C22:5(n-6)……Docosapentaenoic..…0.00mg/g
·***C22:5(n-3)……Docosapentaenoic… 0.00mg/g
·***C22:6(n-3)……Docosahexaenoic….12.53mg/g

Other Values of nutritional interest
·***Energy…………………84 Cal/100g
·***Energy…………………350 KJoules/100g

In conclusion, Though this small fresh water shrimp may have had a questionable affect on native populations of fish where it has been introduced. The resulting success of it in these cold water lakes has provided and ideal food for hobbyists that require nutritious food for their fish. It contains many fatty acids that are recommended for healthy fish , and has a high % of protein. This makes it a very good food for carnivorous fresh water and saltwater fish.

As a post note , the authors personal experience with the use of Mysis relicta as a food for Discus Fish, Symphysodon spp. , has been a very positive. It is one of the staples that he feeds to his discus. It appears to have a marked effect on energy levels of the fish, increases spawning behavior, and is an excellent growth food.

References……

http://www.cst.cmich.edu/users/mcnau1as/zooplankton%20web/index.html
http://royal.okanagan.bc.ca/kokanee/fishredu.htm
http://www.flatheadlakers.org/HOTISSUE/f_process.htm
http://nas.er.usgs.gov/crustaceans/docs/my_relic.html
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/Task_rpts/edypothoven09-2.html
http://www.mysis.com
http://www.realpetreviews.com/mysis.html

Related literature of interest….
http://www.fisheries.org/publications/AFSBooks/webfinal/x540.09.htm

Balcer, B.D., N.L. Korda, S.I. Dodson. 1984. Zooplankton of the Great Lakes. The University of Wisconsin Press, Ltd. London, England. pp. 103-106

Chess, D.W., J.A. Stanford. 1998. Comparative energetics and life cycle of the opossum shrimp Mysis relicta in native and non-native environments. Freshwater Biology 40(4):783-794

Grossnickle, N.E. 1982. The herbivorous and predaceous habits of Mysis relicta in Lake Michigan. PHD Thesis, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Lasenby, D.C., M. Furst. 1981. Feeding of Mysis relicta on macrozooplankton. Institute of Freshwater Research Drottingham Report 0(59):75-80

Lehman, J.T., J.A. Bowers, R.W. Gensemer, G.J. Warren, D.K.

Branstrator. 1990. Mysis relicta in Lake Michigan (USA): abundances and relationships with their potential prey, Daphnia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 47(5):977-983

Tohtz, J. 1993. Lake whitefish diet and growth after introduction of Mysis relicta to Flathead Lake, Montana. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 122(4):629-635

Gal, G., L. G. Rudstam, & C. H. Greene, 1999. Acoustic characterization of Mysis relicta. Limnol. Oceanogr. 44: 371-381

Pothoven, S.A., G. L. Fahnenstiel, H. A. Vanderploeg, & M. Luttenton, 2000. Population Dynamics of Mysis relicta in southeastern Lake Michigan, 1995-1998. J. Great Lakes Res. 26: 357-365.

Clements, W.A., D.S. Rawson, and J.L. McHugh. 1939. A biological survey of Okanagan Lake, British Colombia. Fisheries Research Board of Canada Bulletin 56.

Nesler, T.P. and E.P. Bergersen. 1991. Mysids and their impacts on fisheries: an introduction to the 1988 Mysid-Fisheries symposium. Pages 1-4
In: T.P. Nesler and E.P. Bergersen, editors. Mysids in fisheries: hard lessons from headlong introductions. American Fisheries Society Symposium 9, Bethesda, Maryland.

Pennak, R.W. 1989. Fresh-water invertebrates of the United States, protozoa to mollusca. John Wiley & Sons, New York, 3rd ed.

Mysis relicta Lovén into Kootenay Lake, British Columbia. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 21:1325-1327

All rights reserved , Al Sabetta, Copyright July 2002

Don_Lee
07-26-2002, 07:51 PM
Great information Al, thanks for sharing! I have been feeding mysis shrimp some too and have found that the fish love them. My good buddy Daryl likened them to steak, one does want to be careful not to feed them too much as it seems to fill them up!

Don

korbi_doc
08-04-2002, 07:35 PM
:o :oWow! Al , good job!! even a great bibliography! I tried Hikari frozen mysis sh. but my discus do not like them, won't even try, just watch them drop to bottom. lol, feed them to my sw fish. Dottie ??? ???

Mike_T
08-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Just another example of why we shouldn't try to play god with mother nature. Creatures live in the habitats they do for a reason. I don't know why people think there are easy fixes to millions of years of "tweaking."

Good info Al!

Mike T 8)

daryl
08-20-2002, 02:18 PM
Hey,
Don't be too harsh, some imports do work, example salmon in the great lakes, it is a great fishery. I agree some don't work, but there are many that do.
But as for mysis my discus over 3 inches love them.
My too cents
Daryl

Aquatic_Design
08-23-2002, 03:04 PM
I have been feeding mysis shrimp for about the last 5-6 months. Most of my fish really go for them. I do have one tank of 4"-5" that will only eat the back half of the mysis. I wind up with one corner of the tank having a little pile of mysis heads with little eyes staring up at me. :alien: It really is kind of funny.
Has anyone else ever had this problem?
Donna

redlines
08-27-2002, 09:36 PM
Great info!

I have now been feeding Mysis to ALL of my Discus & all of them have taken to it.

It is not their favorite but they always finish their meal!

IMO variety is a great thing.

Andy

TOMMY
09-27-2002, 06:55 PM
Okay that's it, I'm ready to place my order....darn and there's nothing in the fridge :(. Okay I will go food shopping first so I don't get kicked outta the house! :P

-Tom-

hanleong
09-28-2002, 10:20 AM
I experience the same thing! that my group of 4-5cm discus would only eat the body half of the shrimp and leave the head untouch..

Initiallly my discus did not like taking this type of shrimp as compared to frozen blood worm but after few tries, they have taken the idea and will finish all the shrimp given, minus the heads

that is rather funny to me too!

*question : I always feed 2-3 types of food to my discus (for every meal) - this that OK? or should I kind of like feed only bloodworm for the breakfast, only shrimp for the lunch and only dry food for dinner?

brewmaster15
10-02-2002, 05:10 PM
Hi hanleong,
You can feed multiple kinds of food at the same time. Its probabaly healthier than feeding one kind each meal. Most just feed one kind because its easier...thats my excuse at least! :)

hth,
al

Scubaboy
10-16-2002, 03:48 AM
Hi all ! :cool: I like feeding my Discus mysis also along with homemade beefheart & bloodworms. My only problem is that the mysis clouds up the water really bad and that kills me. After getting my water polished, to see it get so bad. I started to rinse them in a strainer but someone told me that then I was washing awy all the nutients. Is this true ? :fish: :fish:

brewmaster15
10-16-2002, 11:30 AM
Hi George,
I take the amount of food I will feed and place it in a quart size water container. Add luke warm or cool water thaw, and stir. Let settle and pour off the cloudy water. I repeat this usually2X. Then feedafter poring off the water. You lose some nutrients, but what is rinsed away is mostly oil and debris , not soemthing the discus would have eaten anyway. Whats inside the shrimp stays. Don't use hot water though, that will draw the good stuff out.

HTH,
al

Scubaboy
10-16-2002, 12:26 PM
Thanx for the tip. That is what I was doing but was told that the nutrients get lost. I guess this method does work. Gonna get some more MYSIS this weekend. I know that the shrimp are high in protein and I just bought some new Royal Reds and I want them to be get nice and big. I also bought a Red Marlboro, however I am still waiting for her to turn red. Changing the subject, do you know of anyone who has White Butterflies ? I want to buy a pair. See ys, Scubaboy.

DenverDan
10-16-2002, 12:57 PM
Hi Scubaboy

Try Cary Strong at Great Lakes Discus, his banner is at the bottom of the page. That's where I got my white butterflies, and he usually has them in stock. Great looking discus!!!!

DenverDan

Scubaboy
10-17-2002, 01:08 AM
D.D., Thanks. I have looking at his fish and they are awesome. I am just afraid that my girlfriend and I will like them too much and go :crazy: :crazy: :bounce2: But, gotta havem. Thanks for the response. Scubaboy

EthanCote.com
10-24-2002, 08:22 PM
If I read the post correctly, Mysis Shrimp should only be feed to Discus of 3" and larger? I imagine the shrimp are large in size??

And thanks Al for doing a great job on the Mysis Shrimp History. I have always enjoy reading your articles and have always found them informative. :thumbsup:

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Chi.

hunterbeav
10-27-2002, 10:38 PM
Does anyone have a sorce of live mysis shrimp online. Would love to get the little buggers live !!! :)

brewmaster15
10-29-2002, 04:01 PM
Hi Dan,
Mysis are cold water shrimp and hard to keep alive. We actually have a member here who is one of the top Mysis relicta experts I know of :)... You can read more on live mysis here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=2921

if anyone would know of a live source ..patsy would.

Thanks Chi!... I try ! :)

take care,
al

Discus_Lover
12-23-2002, 10:43 AM
It is great idea Al. feeding them Mysis shrimp. I will found out if it is available in our market.

Right now I am hatching the brine shrimps in order feed the fries.
Is it good thought to grow up the BBS and feed the adult as well?
8)

daninthesand
07-27-2003, 12:48 AM
There's a city park about 5 minutes drive from me where the pond has what I believe to be mysis shrimp. I'd never feed 'em to my discus (parasites- the pond has frogs and other creatures including ducks) but its kinda neat to see them alive.

Daniel

gump
01-15-2004, 04:59 PM
I just received my Mysis order today. All my fish devoured them. I found that my Frontosas were very pleased. My larger Discus ate them up instantly!! I just dropped in a frozen chunk, & found that it did NOT cloud my water at all. It has been awhile since I've had Mysis shrimp in my food arsenal and I am extremly happy to have it back!!
Pierre

Keystonediscus
02-05-2004, 03:56 PM
I also feed Mysis Shrimp frozen I always use the Hikari Biopure Foods as they are always Clean. Ive never seen my water cloud up after using them.

Cosmo
07-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Al,

Tried feeding mysis cause the nutritional info sounded sooo good. Fish wouldn't touch em though even though I tried feeding them for awhile along with the bloodworms and bay shrimp. Finally stopped trying

Jim

Robin764
02-14-2005, 12:30 PM
I started feeding Mysis about a month and a half ago. My stunt is catching up with the 5.5 inchers!! Even the juvies look bigger everyday. I have fish pairing off everywhere!
I paid 20 bucks for my last bag, but see that Jehmco is offering freeze-dried at more affordable prices.
Has anyone tried it?

Robin

Robin764
02-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Even my wild is cone-cleaning head-shaking with my snakeskin.....Not holding my breath on this one though.

KD
02-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Is it Ok to feed them without rinsing?
Karen

Northwestcoastdisc
02-14-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi Karen ( KD) you don't need raise the mysis shrimps. I use mysis shrimps to feed my discus, Angels, Peacock cichlids, others. They love to eat them.

I would do is when i take out mysis shrimps let them thaw i add Garlic Guard and lquid vitiamins in mixture for 10 to 15 mins i let the mysis shrimps soak up with garlic and vitiamins after that I feed them. I don't have problems with that.

Let u know first time to feed your discus, they will not eat. They will eat a little bit, in few days they will eat.

hth

Duncan

Northwestcoastdisc
02-14-2005, 11:50 PM
mysis shrimp

Northwestcoastdisc
02-14-2005, 11:51 PM
ING.

Northwestcoastdisc
02-15-2005, 12:11 AM
shimps

Northwestcoastdisc
02-15-2005, 12:16 AM
shrimps on nickle coins

Northwestcoastdisc
02-15-2005, 12:17 AM
shrimp on coin on messure tape

Northwestcoastdisc
02-15-2005, 12:23 AM
Al, Where did you get this information?

The following Nutritional analysis was generously provided by Piscine Energetics (Mysis.com)

·***Protein 10.46
·***Crude Fat 3.29
·***Moisture 82.27
·***Ash 1.65
·***Carbohydrates (by subtraction) 2.3

the facts information i got a package of frozen from Mysis shrimps by Piscine.

It says Guranateed Analysis ( from dry weight)

Min Crude Protein 69.5%
Min Crude Fat 8.35%
Max Crude Fiber 2.75%
Max Ash 5.5%

Duncan

KD
02-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Hello Duncan,
Thank you for the response!
Only some of my Discus will take it- I have been just dropping it in frozen.
Great idea with the vitamins and garlic added!
I'll have to try one of these or both.
Have a great day!
Karen

Northwestcoastdisc
02-15-2005, 11:47 PM
hi Karen,

The mysis shrimps are good for fish, because it high Protein help them to grow out and great actives. I use the mysis shrimps to feed my fish african cichlids, discus, angels, rams, others, they love to eat.

I suggest you can feed mysis shrimps small amount they will eat and getting use it. every 2 days when they love to eat , you can feed them everyday it would be no problems!

what i think the mysis shrimps more meat than bloodworms.

hth

Duncan

KD
02-16-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks Duncan!
Karen

Northwestcoastdisc
02-16-2005, 03:03 PM
You are very welcome Karen!

Duncan

RD.
06-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but frozen PE Mysis appears to have very little protein or lipids, yet weighs in with a whopping 82% water content.

That water must be costing you a lot of $$$?

· Protein 10.46

· Crude Fat 3.29

· Moisture 82.27

brewmaster15
06-23-2005, 06:31 AM
HI Neil,
All Live/frozen foods weigh alot. and It not the Protein content that I like to feed it for. Protein is protein in most cases with very little difference and is easily obtained in any commercial Feeds. I have even fed my discus a commercial diet 100% vegetable based protein to no ill effect.

What I like about Mysis is the Fatty acid Profile...
Fatty Acid % Profile of Freeze Dried Mysis

·***C14:0…………Myristate…...……..8.47mg/g
·***C16:0…………Palmitate…..……...24.73mg/g
·***C16:1…………Palmitoleate……….11.59mg/g
·***C18:0…………Stearate……..……..0.89mg/g
·***C18:1…………Oleate……………..17.07mg/g
·***C18:2(n-6)……Linoleate…………..7.39 mg/g
·***C20.0…………Arachidate………....0.00mg/g
·***C18:3(n-3)……Linolenate…………..7.14 mg/g
·***C20:1…………Eicosaenoate………. 0.00mg/g
·***C20:3(n-3)……Eicosatrienoate….….9.87 mg/g
·***C20:4(n-6)……Eicosatetraenoate…...0.00mg/g
·***C20:5(n-3)……Eicosapentaenoic…...17.85mg/g
·***C24:0…………Nervonate…………...0.00mg/g
·***C22:5(n-6)……Docosapentaenoic..…0.00mg/g
·***C22:5(n-3)……Docosapentaenoic… 0.00mg/g
·***C22:6(n-3)……Docosahexaenoic….12.53mg/g

This makes Mysis a nice suppliment to any Diet for discus.

Additionally arthropods do play a role in a discus native diet and as such Mysis helps as a substitute..

hth,
al

RD.
06-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi Al,

Don't get me wrong, I too have suggested to fellow fish keepers that if they feel the need for a supplement, to use PE Mysis (which I believe is the best brand on the market), but I simply wanted to point out that when feeding the 'frozen' product, it's something that should be used as just that, a supplement.

Protein is protein in most cases with very little difference and is easily obtained in any commercial Feeds.

Not exactly, but we can cross swords on that subject another time. ;)

brewmaster15
06-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Not exactly, but we can cross swords on that subject another time.
:) sent you an IM ;) :)

-al

raglanroad
07-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Yes, Al. It is the highly unsaturated fatty acids that are of the most importance. It has been found to be good for the eggs of brightly coloured marine fish too.
Al, could you expand on this a little? Many brands that have highly touted ingredients name the source proudly. PE does so, as well as the defunct Murex, one of the best shrimp and mysis sellers, and also Brine Shrimp Direct does sell relicta. But why do Hikari and others not spell it out? Mysis can be mysids, not Mysis relicta. Wouldn't it be a little "off" if they were not relicta ? The seahorse people should know the difference, but I don't see mention of it here. Still, this is interesting, that the Hikari is different in size than PE. Note the post by "SimplySmitten" ( hey, that should make it not off topic) on how the horsies by-pass the Hikari for PE. Just because of size? Don't know.
Dave http://www.syngnathid.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=TikesArch&Number=3094&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

prodigydiscus
11-02-2005, 08:25 AM
great article on mysis shrimp!
thanks for sharing!

Kindredspirit
01-19-2006, 08:37 AM
I have always wondered about Mysis Shrimp! Great Sticky, Al!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_21_3.gif

Marie~

Dave C
01-19-2006, 09:50 AM
All frozen foods are primarily water. That's why a pound of frozen is so much cheaper then a pound of freeze-dried in a comparable food. But compare frozen mysis to frozen bloodworms and you'll see the value. From Hikari's website here's the details on bloodworms...

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 6.0% Min.
Crude Fat 0.5% Min.
Crude Fiber 0.9% Max.
Moisture 89.0% Max.

And if you did a comparison of beefheart or live foods you'd find that they are mostly water too. I don't think of frozen foods as a supplement at all.

Mattie
07-15-2006, 10:03 AM
hi just wondering if anyone ever fed Gammarus Shrimp to their fish?

swinters66
12-18-2006, 10:21 AM
I just started feeding mysis to my discus. At first they sort of picked at it, but I take a block of the frozen mysis and a block of frozen bloodworms and thaw it together...they go for it a lot more now.

Glad I read that article. I'd like to have a broad variety of food for these guys.

red_monk
05-15-2007, 02:23 PM
I will be trying mysis shrimps for a change. Hope my discus grows in no time. Thanks for the information. A very helpful thread indeed.

tdr1919
09-25-2007, 07:34 PM
I tried the Hikari frozen Mysis and my fish never would eat it.

Tom

kaceyo
09-25-2007, 11:54 PM
I have nearly a kilo of mysis shrimp fron Fish King and my fish wont touch it either. It's also very messy and even a small amounts in the BH mix will cover my prefilter with hard to remove shrimpy bits. :(

Kacey

Polar_Bear
09-26-2007, 12:12 AM
I have nearly a kilo of mysis shrimp fron Fish King and my fish wont touch it either. It's also very messy and even a small amounts in the BH mix will cover my prefilter with hard to remove shrimpy bits. :(

Kacey

I have two different forms of mysis shrimp, both purchased from Bill Eagan. Oddly enough the ones with high protein and a large size my fish will not eat for the most part. However all of my fish love the Hikari mysis, which although far lower in protein at least they like.

brewmaster15
09-26-2007, 03:32 AM
Hi all,
Just a note here....The Mysis shrimp from hikari are a different species of mysis....not sure which one as there are many..., but probably marine? anyway...the species this article is on is Mysis relicta... a cold water species of freshwater shrimp... and as Larry alluded to...They are larger than hikari brand and have a very different profile, especially in the fats and lipids category.

hth,
al

kaceyo
09-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Al,
The large FW shrimp are the type I have, and as I said, fish hate them. Or more accuratly, they are totaly indiferent to them. I'm thinking of running them thru a blender to add to BH mix. Maybe they would be less messy and more likely to get into the fishes bellies that way? Or puree them into frozen fry food? Anybody tried either of these methods?

Kacey

brewmaster15
09-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi Kacey,
It takes a bit to get the discus used to eating them...especially if you are feeding anything like frzn blood worms, live CBW, tetra bits, or a good beefheart...

I've had some take to them no problem and others never.

I have mixed them with my beefheart mix in place of shrimp and all the fish here eat them like that....so you may want to give it a try......not sure how you mix your beefheart but i find that if you cube the beefheart first and then mix with the mysis... then pass thru the grinder, you'll get a good mix.

hth,
al

kaceyo
09-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Al,
I had just thawed out a 1/2 to 3/4 cup M.Shrimp and mixed it into the finished BH mix at the end. What I really hate about it is the kind of "fluffy" stuff that sticks in the prefilter, much of which has to be nit picked off by hand.
I'll give your method a try. That stuff ain't cheap and is very good nutritionally. I'd hate to waste it.

Kacey

Polar_Bear
09-26-2007, 05:23 PM
My wild RSGs are the only ones who took to Mysis relecta immediately, all others, including the Heckels will pick at it but not eat it. However my post is more about something that Kacey just said, in my case blackworms and Mysis relecta cost exactly the same, pound for pound, I don't think I need to post which I prefer in this case.

brewmaster15
09-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi Larry,
I understand your viewpoint very well.. :) but as much as I can appreciate CBW as a food and see the dollar value comparison.... Nutritionally...I think that Mysis relicta has a much better profile in areas that may matter for the long term health of fish.:) Of course... thats if you can get them to eat it;):D

take care,
al

Eddie
11-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Since it is impossible for me to get Frozen Mysis shrimp here in Okinawa, would the freeze dried type be beneficial for my discus. It still shows alot of protein content.

Thanks

Eddie

CraigG
11-10-2008, 10:12 PM
I just started feeding mysis to my discus. At first they sort of picked at it, but I take a block of the frozen mysis and a block of frozen bloodworms and thaw it together...they go for it a lot more now.

Glad I read that article. I'd like to have a broad variety of food for these guys.

I ended up taking some frozen brine shrimp and mixed it with the Mysis shrimp. Now the discus will eat just mysis shrimp. Not sure why they were picky on it.

Especially the one where I saw my blue eatting the mysis shrimp at the LFS.

brewmaster15
11-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Eddie,
The Mysis can be difficult at times to get the discus to eat them...I've had some that love it and some that hate it. The freeze dried ones are nutritionally comparable to the frozen and in some ways may be better depending on how soon after capture they are freeze dried.

hth,
al

Eddie
11-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks Al,

I ended up ordering some that same day and I know my fish will eat them easily. These fish eat everything, literally...:waaa:

waters10
11-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Has anyone tried Ocean Nutrition Frozen Mysis shrimp? I got a pack from Drs Foster sale. According to the website, it's mysis relicta, but to me it looks the same size as the hikari mysis shrimp, which is known to not be mysis relicta.

I decided to get the cheaper Ocean Nutrition to see if my discus would eat it (they loved it, just like they love Hikari's), and I was going to buy PE mysis later on. But I think PE mysis =! ON mysis ...

Does anyone know?

rich815
10-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Sorry to bring an old thread to life but just thought I'd share that I found some PE Mysis lately and gave it a try. Though my discus don't like as much as FBW they took pretty well to it. Good to add another alternative food that seems to have some good nutrition.

caparzo
02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
I tried Hikari frozen Mysis a few days ago and it gave all my fish sore butts ? Has anyone experienced discus with protruding anus after introducing new food ??

caparzo
02-03-2010, 11:12 AM
bump

caparzo
02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
bump again.. anyone ?

kaceyo
02-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Judging by the responce I'd say it's noy a common occurance. I've never had it happen but my discus won't eat Mysis Shrimp. Are all the fish having this reaction? Pics would help too.

Kacey

caparzo
02-03-2010, 06:48 PM
yep.. they all ate some and the next day they had butt problems.. like a nodule sticking out a little bit... I'll try to post some pics tonight. Thanks

Acro
03-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Add some epson salt.Great lax for fish.

:o

amityadav
01-06-2015, 11:17 PM
My discus just throw mysis shrimp out of their mouth and do not see to eat them.
Any particular brand you are using?

brewmaster15
01-07-2015, 12:51 PM
My discus just throw mysis shrimp out of their mouth and do not see to eat them.
Any particular brand you are using?

Fresh water Mysis are best, IMO and IME... "PE Mysis" are a good choice. Understand though not all discus will take to them...I have had some that loved them, and others that wanted nothing to do with them.

hth,
al

pitdogg2
01-07-2015, 06:36 PM
:o :oWow! Al , good job!! even a great bibliography! I tried Hikari frozen mysis sh. but my discus do not like them, won't even try, just watch them drop to bottom.

I too have the same problem. I have hold food for a week still they suck them in and spit them out. I have had every other fish eat them with gusto, I just thought that maybe the skeleton gave Discus to much trouble.

NEangler
08-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Fresh water Mysis are best, IMO and IME... "PE Mysis" are a good choice. Understand though not all discus will take to them...I have had some that loved them, and others that wanted nothing to do with them.

hth,
al

I've experienced this also. Some devour it some don't. A few want it over anything else i feed. A few won't look at it. Still working on these few to convert over. The discus that do consume it are so active and many are looking to breed after eating it a few days. Hikari also sells this now if not already mentioned..a bit cheaper too in the large 40oz flatpacks

Would love to hear more peoples experience with feeding freshwater mysis!

pitdogg2
08-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Hikari also sells this now if not already mentioned..a bit cheaper too in the large 40oz flatpacks

Would love to hear more peoples experience with feeding freshwater mysis!
Al stated earlier in the thread that hikari is a different species and might be a saltwater species. They are much different in nutrition less if everything that the cold FW species has in spades.

NEangler
08-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Al stated earlier in the thread that hikari is a different species and might be a saltwater species. They are much different in nutrition less if everything that the cold FW species has in spades.

Yes, Al's info on the hikari product was correct when he quoted it in 2007. That's all hikari offered at the time was the saltwater type of mysis. In the last several years, hikari has been selling the same mysis relicta as the PE brand which comes from lake Okanagan. The hikari are processed a bit different and are a smaller in size in general, but they are the same species. The hikari imo are easier for discus to eat because of the slight size difference.

pitdogg2
08-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Yes, Al's info on the hikari product was correct when he quoted it in 2007. That's all hikari offered at the time was the saltwater type of mysis. In the last several years, hikari has been selling the same mysis relicta as the PE brand which comes from lake Okanagan. The hikari are processed a bit different and are a smaller in size in general, but they are the same species. The hikari imo are easier for discus to eat because of the slight size difference.

Good to know thanks