PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles, CA

Jeff
08-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Hi my name is jeff and I'm in Los Angeles, CA. If anyone else is here E mail me at Jeff@Discusfarm.US. If we have enough hobbyists in the area maybe we could arrange for a quarterly get together. I know chad is here and we could all learn from him if we could talk him into comming.

DanS
08-22-2002, 05:00 PM
I'm not too far away up here in Ojai. It's a couple miles outside Ventura.

Dan
dansmock@hotmail.com

Jeff
08-22-2002, 11:20 PM
Hi Dan,

Lets find a few more people in LA and we can get together share stories and even trade fish, equiptment whatever.

mtwinn
08-22-2002, 11:46 PM
Hi Jeff,

My name is Mike and I am in the LA area. Finally I see someone else on this forum that is close by :) My email address is mnguyen4@earthlink.net

Mike

Chad
08-24-2002, 10:29 PM
Hi all i am close enough.... Riverside!!

I would love to have a Discus Club for LA.... In fact i will start one and have a big barbaque blowout meeting if intrest is high enough!! Ill provide the MEAT you guys bring the BEER!! LETS DO IT!!!
All Discus buffs and non are invited!! LOL that would be fun!

Jeff,
your to kind!! we will all learn from each other!!

Chad 8)

They are already pigging out!!

Jeff
08-24-2002, 10:44 PM
Chad,

Great idea! :D Nothing like a discus party.

I can't believe they are that big already. Those are going to be some awsome fish.

Steve_Warner
08-26-2002, 01:43 AM
Hi all,
That sounds like a fun time..........I can drive in from Vegas for a fun meeting between everyone.

Steve

Jeff
08-26-2002, 10:32 AM
Great,

Glad you'll come. I'll start looking into a date around the end of September Saturday or Sunday. Does this give everyone enough time?

Anyone else? The more the better?

Chad
08-27-2002, 01:57 AM
september is good here!!!

Chad ;D

Pamela
08-28-2002, 01:14 PM
:D Hello all, I am from LA area too - well, kinda......I am a transplanted Oregonian.

Pamela

turbobuickgn
08-28-2002, 01:30 PM
The barbecue sounds like a great idea and i'd be willing to make the drive every couple of months if we could start a discus club that meets quarterly. It would be great to chat about discus and trade fish. I live in Bakersfield, a 2 hour drive to all isn't all that bad. I have to drive there to pick up fish every couple of months from lax anyways.

Nice meeting you all
Scott Fletcher

P.S. Watch out for pam though she might be to much of a party animal for all of us.

Jeff
08-28-2002, 04:59 PM
Scott and Pamela great to hear from you. I think we have enough people to get together. I'll post a date by end of the week and hopefully everyone can attend. I think we will all have fun!!!

sanan
08-30-2002, 01:54 AM
That sounds great. I am also in the LA area, down in the valley. I would love have a chance to get together with some Discusfans. I can best be reached by email: shaibani@rocketmail.com

Looking forward to getting the club off the ground.

;D

-sanan

mtwinn
09-06-2002, 12:40 AM
Jeff,

First off, let me apologize. I must have been asleep all this time because it has just dawned on me that you're the man behind Discusfarm.us. Secondly, I would like to know if it would be possible for me to pay you a visit and check out your hatchery? This will also give us a chance to meet each other and put a face to the name. Besides, I can use a couple more quality Discus ;D How about next weekend? Let me know.

Thanks! :)

Mike

Jeff
09-06-2002, 02:46 AM
Mike,

Righton. Come on over. Just let me know when.

Jeff

mtwinn
09-12-2002, 12:20 AM
Jeff,

Cool. I was thinking this coming Saturday (9/14/02) at around noon. Is that a good time for you? What is the address to your hatchery?

Thanks,
Mike

Jeff
09-12-2002, 01:09 AM
Mike no problem. What time. Let me know so I will be there. Call me at 323.864.2637 or email at Jeff@Discusfarm.us.

DHDiscusMan
09-25-2002, 05:12 PM
I'm in LA too... getting into discus (read addicted to).

I'd love to see the kind of fish I'm only dreaming about today. :)

Did a BBQ get set up already? If so then please put me on the list for the next one.

Thanks.

Dan
d.harman@earthlink.net

slim
10-29-2002, 07:27 PM
How did the barbque go? I live in Long Beach and have had Discus for about 6-months. I would be interested in meeting with others from the Los Angeles area to chat and learn more about Discus. Please let me know what is going on with this. You can reach me at slim_mg77@yahoo.com.

Thanks-
slim

sanan
11-08-2002, 05:20 AM
I am not sure if the BQ has happened yet.

I am just starting to get back into Discus and have learned a great deal from reading this forum. Its great to know that I am not the only one with this addiction.

I was able to find a few good breeders/importers in the area. I even got a few fish from Jeff (www.discusfarm.us), Chad (www.discusobsession.com), and Bruce (www.majesticaquatic.com). If you want details just drop me a line.

I would not mind exchanging some stories/ equipment/ fish with some locals. Does any one know if we have an aquarium club in the LA area?

-sanan

Toothfairy
11-12-2002, 06:37 PM
Hey Sanan,

Does Bruce at Majestic allow visitors on his hatchery? How about Chad? I got a fish from Jeff and would drop by again soon since I have two new tanks to fill with their wonderful fish. :)

Grace

Discusgeo
11-12-2002, 07:05 PM
If you guy's haven't had the DIscus Party yet please keep me in mind. If the timing is right I may be able to make the drive from Phoenix to LA. My brother lives there still so I have a place to crash that evening. I can even bring a beer or two for you guy's, but I don't drink anything stonger than coke.
George

sanan
11-13-2002, 04:55 AM
Hi Grace:

Both Bruce and Chad allow visitors. Chad has his setup at his residence while Bruce has a distributorship location next to the riverside airport. They are both around the same area and you might be able to visit them in the same day. Make sure you set aside a whole day to look at all the fish. :)

About the get together, Chad, are you still up for having the BBQ to kick-start the LA discus club? There are a number of great national/state parks in the Malibu Mountains. We might even be able to reserve a spot overlooking the Ocean. :) The parks have lost open space, trails, and fire pits. We can have a BBQ/day out in the park.

-sanan

Toothfairy
11-13-2002, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the info Sanan.

Hey I'm game for a barbecue as well. But schedule it soon since it's starting to get colder and wetter...

Hey Jeff.. have you gotten any new fish lately? I was there back in early October and gotten one cute Angel Diamond and I named him/her ... Jeff! lol

Grace

DHDiscusMan
11-13-2002, 05:30 PM
Hiya Toothfairy, you had a great idea. I wouldn't mind visiting / buying discus this weekend either. If any of the So Cal breeders want visitors I would like to as well. Maybe a few people will show up at the same time at one or more of the breeders... just a kind of informal "Hello"?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks. Dan

cesar_1304
11-13-2002, 06:00 PM
Organizing an L.A. Discus Club??

Just some name suggestions:
L.A.D.C. - Los Angeles Discus Club
L.A.D.A. - Los Angeles Discus Association
D.A.L.A. - Discus Association Los Angeles
D.F.W.D.L.A. - Discus For World Domination Los Angeles

If so count me in!!! Any chance on getting a location and date nailed down?

-Cesar

Jeff
11-13-2002, 06:43 PM
Grace and Dan,

I will be around Sunday from 11-5pm. Call and come on by.
Yes I do have a lot of new stuff. Maybe you can find a friend for Jeff!LOL

323-864-2637

Toothfairy
11-13-2002, 07:30 PM
Big Jeff,

Little Jeff is doing just fine and is the most voracious eater of the bunch. He hangs out with the big guys in the tank and with his appetite, he'll be as big as them in no time. ;D

I remember seeing rolls of carpeting in your warehouse, do you install? If so I may need your service...

I'll come by your neck of the woods around noonish on Sunday to see the new stash 8)

Hey Dan and everyone, drop by at Jeff's too so we can all discuss discus and I can pick all your brains some more...

Grace

Steve_Warner
11-14-2002, 01:24 AM
Hi all,
I'm headed to San Diego this weekend, but maybe I'll reroute the trip to go to L.A for Sunday, then drive to S.D! Jeff, where in L.A are you located? My family all lives in the San Fernando Valley. I also want to drop by my good bud Chad's house.

Steve

sanan
11-14-2002, 04:37 AM
I was also thinking about stopping over at Jeffs this sunday round noon. By the way I spoke with Chad and he is very interested.

Maybe we can all talk about it this sunday and have some general framework by next week about the when, where and what of the LADA, or LADC or DALA, or etc... 8).

-sanan

DHDiscusMan
11-14-2002, 11:55 AM
I've never been to Chad's. I sent him an email yesterday and I'm hoping for a reply today or tomorrow. Maybe we can visit Chad's around 10 AM on Sunday or maybe 3 PM? That would be a lot of fun to see some great discus at one or more breeders.

Jeff, I'm definatly planning to come your way. Maybe 12 or 12:30 depending on if something else is on the plate earlier. I'll call you for directions.

Thanks again. Look forward to meeting you all.

Dan

Toothfairy
11-14-2002, 02:21 PM
I'll be at Jeff's around Sunday noon too so that makes three possible visitors.

I'll be going to Chad right after that so we can convoy. I'm also planning to go to Bruce at MajesticAquatic but I still have to contact him.

The LA discus club would be a good thing to have. I hope one of the more experienced LA Simply members would take charge and set this one up.

sanan
11-14-2002, 10:32 PM
Sounds great.

The first get together of some discus loves of Southern California at Jeffs then a convoy to riverside for a look at Chad's great fish. ;D

Looking forward to meething everyone.

-sanan

DHDiscusMan
11-15-2002, 11:57 AM
Jeff, thanks for the info on the tanks. I'll talk to you about them on Sunday when I come out there.

Grace, have you made plans with Chad to go out there? I got an email from him saying he would be around Sunday. I told him to check this thread because there may be a few of us doing the So Cal discus tour.

Has anyone contacted Bruce to see if he wants to give a tour as well? I think he and Chad are close to each other.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all at Jeff's around noon on Sunday.

Take care.

Dan

Toothfairy
11-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Dan,

I told Chad last Tuesday that I'll come by Sunday after 1 PM. After meeting at Jeff's at noon, it's gonna look like we'll be at Chad's sometime around 2 PM. His last e-mail said he's okay for a visit anytime after 11 AM on Sunday. I hope he checks this thread soon to confirm.

I haven't gotten a hold of Bruce yet.

Looking forward to meeting some of y'all.

Grace

DHDiscusMan
11-15-2002, 12:48 PM
Grace, not looking forward to meeting ALL of us? :(

Toothfairy
11-15-2002, 12:53 PM
LOL Dan. Apparently only SOME of us aspiring LADC-DSOLA-LADA-DALA are going to be there.

Hey, we should make you the interim president or chairman pro-tempore until we elect a more deserving one lol. ;)

cesar_1304
11-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Can someone send me the addresses and times to were all this is going down? That way I can make maps on mapquest.com and not get lost....

Jeff
11-15-2002, 01:45 PM
If anyone needs directions please call me at 323-864-2637.
My address will not come up on mapquest but it is:

Discusfarm.us
7807 Telegraph Rd
Suite K
Montebello, CA 90640

By the 5 and 605 freeways.

Chad
11-15-2002, 05:04 PM
LOL i just found this thread..... sorry been busy raising all this fry on my hands!! Come on by my house then i will take you all to majestic.

Here is my address
8402 monique court
riverside ca 92508

Chad ;D ;D

Toothfairy
11-16-2002, 02:05 PM
Thanks Chad and Jeff. See you guys Sunday.

Chad
11-16-2002, 11:35 PM
This might be a good time to hammer details on LA Discus Club!! It would be nice to do a BBQ..... I would offer my house and would throw in the hamberger and hotdogs you guys set it up and byob. Maybe i could get a guest speaker!!!

Cary feel like a road trip?? hehehehe

Chad ;D

Toothfairy
11-18-2002, 01:04 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for having us Jeff, Jason and Chad. Pleasure to meet you too Dan and Sanan.

Chad,

Thank you for the pretty discus especially the great deal on the pair. ;D

Hope to see you guys again soon.

Grace/Jay

DHDiscusMan
11-18-2002, 11:49 AM
Thanks to Jeff, Jason and Chad for hosting us. I had a great time meeting everyone and I'm looking forward to hearing about any Southern California Discus Events.

Take care.

Dan

sanan
11-25-2002, 01:01 AM
Hi everyone:

Picture of the get together at Jeff's. It was great to meet everyone. Hope to see everyone at the SCDA the 2nd week of Dec.

-sanan

Toothfairy
11-25-2002, 08:06 PM
wow.. who's that pretty lady among the culls? .. i mean gents?

Thanks sanan.

cesar_1304
11-25-2002, 11:37 PM
Anymore information on the SCDA meeting going down in December?

Time?
Location?
BYOB?

*** Never Mind I Found It ****
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=4779

-Cesar

alisonty
12-04-2002, 04:45 PM
hi! name is alison. i am from the long beach area...
i just bought my fist discus a few months ago. hopefully i can get my hubby to agree to buy *few* more discuses... ;)
i am glad to hear there are discus lovers near me :thumbsup: ;D ;D

DHDiscusMan
12-04-2002, 04:49 PM
Alison,

The two of you should come to Jeff's on Sunday for our Pot Luck. He has really nice fish and we are a friendly group of people.

See the Pot Luck post.

Dan :)

dm
12-04-2002, 08:21 PM
Welcome Alison. :D

Jeff
12-07-2002, 11:13 PM
Yea come on up Alison.

bubabui
09-08-2003, 05:00 PM
So whatever happened to the Discus Club in Los Angeles? Did anything become of it? I saw that there was a get together last December, but nothing since. I've been out of the hobby for the past 8 years and just got a tank set up and going. Hope to have more tanks in the near future. Would like to share & learn experiences with fellow discus hobbyists in the area in the future.

Joe

Jeff
09-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Joe,

Call me and come by some time. We should have another get together. ;)

bubabui
09-08-2003, 08:05 PM
Hey Jeff,

Sounds like a plan. Montebello is a much shorter drive for me than going to Chad out if Riverside. ;D j/k I want to see his set up as well. So when will the next meeting be?

Divantie
09-09-2003, 02:28 AM
Hey Jeff

If there is another get together, count me in.

Michael

Brianstafford
08-11-2005, 07:07 PM
hi I just got a new 75 gallon tank just for discuss and am looking to find a few starter fish I live in los Angeles

discusboy777
08-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Hey jeff thats a great idea i would love to come down and have meetings and what not.
sounds fun.

Brad

Ichthyology
08-15-2005, 08:27 PM
I just got back from the Bay Area Discus Meeting...so I am all for starting something here in So Cal. I am willing to host or what ever needs to be done. We have tons of discus people here in So Cal so let's have a get together.