PDA

View Full Version : British Columbia Canada...Vancouver : ))

April
08-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Hi. i live in Vancouver Canada. and we quite often have shipments come in from great breeders...and we share shipping.

Glenn
08-20-2002, 11:45 PM
Hi april im here to

Tin Pusher
11-29-2002, 11:21 PM
Hi Glen and Hi again April. I am also in the Vancouver area, Cloverdale to be exact. It would be nice to find a dozen or so local Discus people and maybe meet to talk about local interests like shops, water etc.....

April
11-29-2002, 11:31 PM
theres also bottle blonde....and i know alot more. just dont post.
and herb is in victoria.

darcy
11-30-2002, 12:13 AM
Maybe I should move to BC!!! I feel so all alone in this bald *** prairie!!!
Some one help me!!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Darcy

April
11-30-2002, 12:56 AM
cool...Darcy move here !!! we need more. discus phenatics.

darcy
11-30-2002, 12:22 PM
April
do you have a bare spot on your floor where I can sleep? Do you have room for 7 more tanks of discus? Do you need a roommate? You can work and I can be your water change slave!!! Is it a deal or what??
Better hurry up and answer I'm starting to pack!!
Darcy

Tin Pusher
11-30-2002, 12:38 PM
Sounds good darcy

April
11-30-2002, 10:28 PM
well....ok..darcy....sure...cept not sure on the other 8 tanks...as long as you promise not to flood...i will be on the street with my tanks under the viaduct. with the tank in a shopping cart and doing squeegee job.
lol

and id gladly let you do water changes. lol. but you gotta cook too. i need a houseboy.
i'll gladly earn the money.

robmcm
12-14-2002, 02:26 PM
Hi, posting to SimplyDiscus for the first time from Coquitlam. I have an 80 gallon planted with a Turquoise, Golden Harvest and Red Pigeon Blood.

Discovered Discus while setting up a little desktop tank in the office, which led to the 80 at home and a lot of reading. Really enjoying the discus, they're beautiful to watch.

What's the best place for lower mainlanders to purchase discus?

Smokey
12-14-2002, 03:27 PM
howdy robmcm; welcome to simply discus. as for your question .... I'm sure April,when she gets off work, will be posting the answer !! She is the local discus nut, knows everybody and where to pick up good deals. Also, if your are interested, come spring , myself, April and a few others will be ording discus from Australia. Rod Lewis is the breeder there and has excellant, healthy , strong stock. Plus, there ARE a great number of breeders in your area.
JUST ASK APRIL !!!! She walks softly, but does carry a bit net.
Smokey
on the other side of the mountains

April
12-14-2002, 11:51 PM
Smokey. LOL. i do carry a big net...but really there is not alot to be netted in vAncouver sorry to say!! be very careful Rob...as there are alot of virus' in most of the lfs everytime they get a new batch in. There are a few of us on here from Vancouver. there was one guy advertising in the buy and sell..but no idea what he has.
we will be getting some in however in january from las angelos or also end of january from great lakes discus. clikc his banner on the bottom of the page. great guy. so.if you want nice healthy discus..and want to share the shipping....your welcome. with a few of us the shipping is only about 30 ech at the most. got a few people already sharing. my email is here...under my name.
and as smokey said...if he has his way...come spring we will get some maybe from australia.
or...soon some of my little aussie fish will have fry. they have now but far too young and innocent to be sent into the big world. if youd like to see some of my fish..your welcome. their at my grooming salon in vancouver. im there most days.
anyhow welcome aboard...and happy reading.
i also do sell sometimes supplies at low cost. like bloodworms..etc and ebo jaegers and filters etc.

Tin Pusher
12-15-2002, 12:48 AM
Hi robmcm,I am relatively new to Discus also. As far as lfs I like King Ed's on Kingsway. See Eric for help or direction on what to buy. They always seem to have a fair selection of Discus, both wild and tank bred along with the best prices on equipment. You do take your chances with diseases as April mentioned. I bought a pair from Eric who ordered them from Hong Kong for me. Because they were pre sold before even ordering I got a good price ($130/pair). I cannot confirm they are a breeding pair yet and they have been less than 100% healthy since I got them a month ago. Trying Prazi on them now and they appear to be improving. If I was to buy more Discus locally I would watch them on and off for a couple of weeks while still in the lfs. If they look good and come to the surface when you put your hand up to the tank every time you visit the store you should have a fighting chance. Of note the most over priced Discus in the lower mainland seem to be at Big Al's. Just my opinion, April feel free to pipe in, you have certainly set me on the right track a few times.

April
12-15-2002, 01:31 AM
Yes your right there...tin.on big als. i saw them. and their new stock from germany. although..i know for a fact there are no diseases from stendler discus. they are a very well known famous breeding facility...but....their ones that they sent to big als were not their nicest stock. there were a few id go for..but not at 79.00 a piece...for a brilliant.
king ed is a great lfs for stuff. and wilds. but yes...gotta go the dya they come in the door and get them and hopefully get their out of the bag prices.
good advice tin...but...healthy ones can be carriers and once introduced to yours...bang..yours get sick. so careful. quarantine. separate hoses etc. and wash hands.

robmcm
12-15-2002, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info April and Tin. I'll check out King Ed's, the three discus I have now are from Big Al's - two were relatively cheap, the third (Pigeon Blood) was from the German shipment and expensive. As a beginner, Big Al's was convenient and a one-stop-shop, but now the prices seem very high.

If you've seen the German shipment, are you familiar with some fairly large, wild discus Big Al's had in a big display tank? Now there's one left, near the German discus. This remaining wild has become very dark. It's been getting by for months, but appears to have something wrong...any thoughts?

Interested for two reasons. Avoiding dark discus is one of the "selection" criteria I've been reading about, but the reasoning isn't clear to me. Is it the colour change, or specifically darkening?Second, seeing that shoal of big, regal discus was my "Discus Intro" and got me started with fish keeping.

Any info appreciated!

robmcm
12-15-2002, 01:31 PM
April, how do you arrange the shared shipments? I ask because I can't reliably take time off work unless planned in advance. An emergency departure to pick up fish wouldn't go over well. >:( However, the prices are favourable and it would be fun to meet some Discus Folk.

Regarding quarantine...lesson learned! My Xmas list includes the bits to set up a QT tank. I'll have it cycled and ready for it's first visitor by late January.

April
12-15-2002, 02:19 PM
hi. shared shipment is fine.....i pick up and everyone meets me or comes and gets them . usually a monday.as its my day off. or...sunday. depends on the time as to who ships and what plane they come on.
dont think there will be any emergency trips to get fish..lol.
glad your getting a quarantine tank. great xmas present.

robmcm
01-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Visited King Ed's for the first time on Friday. Wow, that's a whole lot of stuff packed in there!

Most of the discus eagerly rushed to the front of their tanks. I'll definitely be dropping by there to see what comes in. The prices were much more reasonable than big al's. Thanks for the tip on King Ed's.

April
01-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Rob!! be forwarned!!! do NOT buy fish from King Ed!!! they have major virus issues going on!! they may look fine..but they are carriers!!!
take my word for it. even their wilds got sick. and they will spread it to your tanks. they may come to the front for food...but...they are coming cause theres alot of competition for whatever morsels they can get ahold of.
when we order...the fish you would get in your bags will be far healthier and nicer quality. and healthy. and even round!
If your ever in vancouver..you should come and see some of my fish . ;D got fish from Cary and mike etc...and i think they are rather nice fishies. 8)

Oh...King Ed is the best store there is for stuff. and great prices and other fish..they have nice fish they self import and good deals. but....discus..nopers. cept their wilds if you get them as soon as they walk in the door. then you get a deal.

BiteMe
01-29-2003, 07:46 PM
I just stopped by the Aquarium store on Hastings in Burnaby (between Willington and Boundary). They just got a large shipment of Discus (150+) in. I have been told that they will start selling them this Saturday, but you can view them in their tanks already.

Any comments on buying from that store ?

April
01-29-2003, 08:40 PM
hmmmm. their prices are not cheap...we are gettng fish in....soon from some good breeders...just quarantine extremely well if you choose that route.
their are breeders in town..
a new guy. who just moved here from ontario. no idea if hes really a breeder or bringing them in from asia...but id say healthier and less risky. and he has a nice setup.
i will have fry in a few months...but none right now really.
what are you interested in?

BiteMe
01-29-2003, 08:53 PM
I am currently stocking a 240gal (that's not a typo) planted show tank, so I am looking for different color/pattern combinations in the 2 1/2" to 3" range. I intend to get approx. 7 discus, but have no intention of ever breeding them.

BTW, the guy at the Hastings store said he brought them in from Asia.

April
01-29-2003, 09:18 PM
wow now thats a nice tank.
they will be lost in it. you could have 20. but lots of water changes. they may not grow to potential in a planted tank.
yes he gets them from asia.
just remember one thing. breeders in asia dont send their good fish to a lfs in canada. you will always get better fish from a breeder....who had his reputation to protect. especially if they post on this forum and they aim to please and really care about their fish.
just my opinion.

Smokey
02-10-2003, 08:41 PM
Howdy- April. I would like to just butt in and add a comment.
BiteMe - beautiful tank, reminds me of mine, a few years back. MY first question - ? where is your quarentine tank???.
Trust me on this one - every discus ( any fish) must be isolated ! Sounds harsh.. Sorry but it is necessary!
Discus are the KING OF FISH.. we are only their humble servants. Ahh - I needed to get that off my chest !
BiteMe - I see you are committed to the hobby ( a 240 is not a starter tank, LOL);
Please take the time to ensure you will not be disappointed or discourged, because a disease has wrecked havoic !
JMO - purchase from a person who is breeding discus. Get to know them, the water, the discus's history. After all, you are bringing in a new family member.

O.K. - I have said my piece and I'll go. Thanks April for the time.

Pril - one more thing-- I WANT YOUR FRY!!!!!

Smokey

BiteMe
02-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Smokey,

my Q-Tank is a 55gal BB tank which has been running for about 5 month, I also have a second 15gal Q-Tank with gravel and a single small sword plant which has been up and running for about 2 years (no fish in either one at the moment).

This is my second time around with discus in a planted tank. The 55gal was my first one with 3 discus, but it turned out that the tank was too small for 3 adult discus (would have been OK as a BB tank though). I gave up after about 2 years and sold the 3 discus ( 2 of which had spawned 6 times, but the snails got to the eggs before they had a chance to hatch).

I am planning to put only 7 Discus in my display tank with plenty of Cory's and some Loaches, and yes, I intend to quarentine them for an exxtended period of time before adding them to the hot tub... lol

April,

if you are ordering discus again please let me know, I might want to get in on an order if possible.

Thanks

April
02-10-2003, 09:28 PM
hi bite me . yes we are. on march the 3rd from great lakes discus. cary.
so let me know. i have his price list. email me if you like.Tell him his mom sent you. and youd like to get in on our order. we share shipping....and then only have to pay the gst and pst at customs....and we split the handling fee also. which is 35.00 at norhtwest.

Smokey
02-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi biteme.. just read your reply. sounds like you have toooooo may tanks empty. better get busy and located some discus.
HMMMM snails yuck.. get rid of them fast..
Where to buy discus... I know of a few dedicated persons in and around the lower mainland, I would recommend. Resonabley priced discus, i'm sure..

Smokey

April
06-26-2003, 08:38 PM
ok....now im looking for anyone who is a member of simply and lives in canada. we have a poll going on in general on what country you live in. its turned into a bit of a competition.......trying to beat those aussies.
so.......go ahead and click away...which country you live in!!!
thanks.

Prometheus
11-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi All!

just joined today. just purchased some discuss this past summer 2004, and of the three i have two paired off (Marlboro Red X Red Eddie). they attempted to spawn at least 15 x before finally managing to rear a spawn of 16 young (about 6 weeks old now - the sizes range from about a dime and a nickel). the femal reared her young well, protecting them from the male...until yesterday that is, she started chasing them away. i suspect the pair is about to spawn again.

i don't have a fish room to keep all my discus...so, i am looking for members from Vancouver, BC, canada, to trade. Anyone interested?

April
11-25-2004, 08:15 PM
hi there..im from vancouver..but..no room for trading. welcome to the hobby. where did you get your fish?
you did well..it takes them quite a few tries usually. next spawn you may get alot more. better start building that fishroom. : )

Prometheus
11-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Hi April:

I am glad you responded...I see that you are the resident disus guru. I would certainly appreciate your input.

I got the fish from King Ed's. I know...in one of the threads you recommended not to purchase there as the specimens may be contaminated...I don't know if it helps, but from time to time I saturate the food i give them (live blood worms as they refuse to eat anything else that does not wiggle) with antibiotics as a prophylactic.

As for their spawn... I am attempting to provide them with a more balanced diet of frozen beef-heart, flakes, and live worms. The fry are voracious eaters!

Cheers:
Jim

BTW: you mentioned you display your fish @ your salon, where is this located...would love to see.

April
11-26-2004, 05:37 PM
hi there. your welcome to come by and have a look. im near Ubc on Dunbar. if youd like to come by..im me on here and we can arrange a time. im here tuesdays thru saturdays 9-4 .
Glenn is also in Surrey . hes a member of Simply and..he has a great little fishroom all set up. and..even has fry.
sounds like your doing well.
Although..best not to medicate with antibiotics for no reason. they will build up a resistance to them. no sense treating somethin thats not there. if they are spawning then they must be smiling. hence..you must be giving them great care.