PDA

View Full Version : Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

scottwheels
08-20-2002, 06:13 PM
G'day. Calling all Australian discus lovers. Don't be shy, post here and let us know where you are and where you get good discus.My name is Scott, my wife's name is Ari, and we can be reached on ariscott@bigpond.com if you wish to contact us. We live in Brisbane, and are fortunate enough to have some excellent discus people in our area. But hey, the more the merrier!! :drummer: :guitarist: :singer: :whip:

Cheers,

Scott

BlueTurquoise
08-20-2002, 08:30 PM
Gday! My name is Chong and I am in Sydney! Unfortunately there are not many (if any) commerical breeders in Sydney but I can tell you my opinion of where to go. Better yet, contact me at vvizard@ozemail.com.au or send me a message and tell me where you get your discus and fish gear from!

Or just msg me and say hello! :thumbsup:

Chong

ari_wh
08-20-2002, 09:00 PM
Well...

Scott has done the introduction.. but I thought I would post as well.... Yes, we live in brisbane... and proud of it ;D. There is no better place... sunshine and beach all year around ;).

Regards, Ari :)

taybelZ
08-20-2002, 10:25 PM
Hi guys.
You know me ;D ;D
Anyway i'm from Geelong.. about 1 hrs drive from Melbourne.
There are a couple of breeders down this way.. tho none of them really use a computer :-\ so its hard for interstate people to contact them. Anyway if you feel like saying HI to me... or alternative send me abusive/threating email drop me one @ davidsu@optushome.com

DavE :)

arwi1
08-21-2002, 08:07 AM
Hi,

I'm from Sydney but I'm temporarily working in Zurich, Switzerland.
Any other Aussie expats out there? Or any Discus people in Zurich?
I would love to make contact. I'm a newby and have never (yet) kept a discus - only other "tropicals". :)
Tony.

Rod
08-21-2002, 04:39 PM
G'day,

I'm from Brisbane in sunny Queensland, i am a discus fanatic and love to meet other people who share my passion! If you find you way near my place then drop by for a coffee and a look at my discus.

rod@lewisdiscus.com

Rod

Tony
08-22-2002, 12:02 AM
Tony
Melbourne...
Anyone else in melbourne? Any local breeder that you know in Melbourne?

BlueTurquoise
08-22-2002, 08:25 AM
Rod! Doooood! I am coming right over!!! What's your fav beer?

But seriously Rod, I have to talk to you about RSGs... alittle later though!

Cheers!
Chong

JC
08-25-2002, 03:01 AM
G'day
;D ;D ;D
My names JC i'm also from Sydney.I am a newbie to Discus but I got a nice pair of discus from Strictly Aquariums in Sydney,also the lads there referred me to a place called Trans.Tran has alot of beautiful fish,but those discus can really turn a head...& he is also very well priced compared to other places.

JC 8)

arwi1
08-26-2002, 03:47 AM
Thanks JC - I'll bear that in mind for when I return to Sydney.
Tony I

howman
09-02-2002, 12:56 AM
My name is Jim and I live in Melbourne. I have over 70 discus in 16 tanks and I have now some babies which I will be selling when they are big enough to travel. Great to be on board.

Ann
09-02-2002, 09:27 PM
Hi my name is Ann and I live in Brisbane. This site and it has been a wealth of information. I have been keeping fish since I was five but have only just started getting into discus. I got my first one about 3 months ago from a friend and fell in love with them. I now have 4 and am planning on expanding this in the near future.

April
09-02-2002, 10:37 PM
heh..cool. 8)..Ann....be sure to go check out Rods fishies....and ari and scott are there.... ;D
Ok Ok im not an aussie. ::) but i got aussie fishies from Rod!! ;D ;D ;D :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :thumbsup:
oh and come onto chat in the later evenings...like about 8 or 9 pm onward....alot of the aussies turn up then.....to chat. and theres a party going on. . ;D not everynight...but some...

ari_wh
09-02-2002, 11:08 PM
Hi Ann,

Welcome to simply...!!! Glad you made it ;) Make yourself at home... there are heaps of nice people here.....

Ann
09-02-2002, 11:12 PM
Thanks for telling about this place Ari it has been a huge source of information and it is good to see there are other people who do things I was doing and being told they thought I was strange.

nalah
09-03-2002, 06:30 PM
Hi. My name is Pascale.
Great site!!!.
Only new to discus.Started off really badly due to crap advice from various sources.I have lost about 15 discus since january so I turned my aquarium into a community tank.But things happened and I am now a proud grandmother of about 30 babies.The two remaining discus paired up and fry are now 2 weeks old.The motto to this tale is "I did it my way!"

Lee Discus
09-07-2002, 01:46 AM
Hey All

my name is Lee and i am from Melbourne, i have had discuse for about 10 years and for the last 6 years i have been breeding them :)

if anyone interested in buying some discus or maybe just some help feel free to aske 8)

taybelZ
09-09-2002, 03:50 AM
hello Pascale, Ann, and Lee,
good to see new members signing into the board.
And more Aussies :)

Pascale you didn't tell us where abouts you are located.
Lee good to see another Melbourneian. Hope to talk to you some time soon

oh yer, should tell you i'm from Geelong(*near Melbourne*)
:)

nalah
09-09-2002, 04:01 AM
I'm in Belfield,in the canterbury district...in sydney,nsw ;D

Serpae
09-16-2002, 08:39 PM
Hey yall, look's like no one lives out here in the stick's other than me :angel: ;D, just all city slicker's, lol. :whip:, oh, except TaybelZ :computer: hehehehe
ps. anyone got a picy of a "SOLID WHITE"

scottwheels
09-16-2002, 08:59 PM
Wow - We're starting to get a critical mass of Aussies on this board. Although total members here is about 720-odd now... Heh heh small fishies in a big pond. At least we don't have to worry about nitrate build up in that case (LoL)

Hey Serpae, I think I have one of your little brothers in my rainbow tank. I don't have may tetras left now, but that little serpae is over 2 years old now and still going strong.

I live and work in Nhulunbuy, about 700km from Darwin. The road gets washed out every wet season, so we get cut off here 6 months of the year - Not that you'd drive to Darwin on a regular basis. I'm based in Brisbane, which is where I keep my discus. Or where Ari keeps them and I just go home and look at them!!! (LoL)

Let me know if you find a solid white discus. They are rare in Australia, and many of them are based on Pigeon strains. Not that there's anything wrong with PB's (they are still my favourite) but true White Swans are their own strain. There was an LFS in Sydney that recently had a shipment of white swans, but I didn't see any so I can't tell you what they were like.

Cheers, Scott

Serpae
09-16-2002, 09:23 PM
Hiya again. What a beauty hey, closest I got to owning one at this stage, lol (White Swan). Where I work we have Solid White's on our fish list, or wish list that is. Should I go for it and get a couple unseen.

April
09-16-2002, 10:21 PM
see... there you go..serpae. now you and Scott can drool over white swans togeather. LOL.
yes....no nitrites in the "bigpond"
oh..sad to say..that after tomorrow.... Oz will be cleaned out of all discus....as thier coming here. to Canada!!!!! ;D ::)

Serpae
09-16-2002, 10:33 PM
April, the amount of Aussie Dickies you are getting, wouldn't it be cheaper if you moved over here, heheheh :sun:
Yeah, our bigpond is pretty well cycled, lol.
Which one's you getting this time, surely their can't be many strain's left that you havn't already got. Maybe my Solid White's?

April
09-17-2002, 12:38 AM
nope no solid whites for me....but ...if Scott has his way...there will be some coming to Australia for him and others maybe....
im getting red diamonds, scribbles, goldens, and rsgx red diamonds. ;D
but i can get solid whites here... ;D
yes...i couldve flown there...but the fish get to fly and immigrate instead...thier better travelled than us.

nalah
09-17-2002, 01:28 AM
I thought we could get white swans in oz. i saw a website.
i'd be interested to hear from you all if you know of him.
www.zoomnet.com.au
what about "discus down under"

April
09-17-2002, 01:46 AM
discus downunder is no longer...
all i know...
rods friend has 6...snowflakes...is that the right name scott?
or are the white swans?
havent bred yet.

Serpae
09-17-2002, 02:02 AM
Yoo hoo, only me again. :D ;D
Yeh, zoomnet address belong's to "Exotic Discus Breeders". They do supply White Swan's, but I would like to see a picky of a Solid White before taking the dive, both are worth big bickies here in Oz. :'(
April, "Snowflake", where are all these whites coming from.
I don't remember seeing them on Rod's site, will have to re-check
ps White Swan Photo above is "Exotic Discus Breeder's"

taybelZ
09-17-2002, 09:33 AM
Hey Darren,
hows it going mate!!!
Long time no see.. i thought you were dead :D
Joking man.

We'll have to catch up sometime.. glad your still alive and kicking...

scottwheels
09-17-2002, 06:43 PM
G'day again. what we call white swans (which I belive are bred in Penang - correct me if I'm wrong here) and snow flakes are the same fish bred independantly. I'm not sure if they are the same strain or separate strains that were bred along the same lines. I read somewhere that scorpions are snakeskins bred in thailand, so they look the same but they are bred from different brood stock.

Anyway, I know that I want a white discus!! We are waiting to see if Sly can ship to Australia, and if he can, we will get some of the nicest white and golden strains I have ever seen!!! It is just Australia's tough quarantine regulations that are holding us up - any discus dealer importing into australia has to have some kind of certification to prove they are safe, and then there has to be an approved quarantine holding area for the discus once they hit shore. And a discus person on hand to make sure they are properly looked after, of course!!

Pascale and Serpae (or Darren!), the site www.zoomnet.com.au and exotic discus breeders are one and the same - Don Ritchmond runs the operation out of Cairns. I was lucky enough to go and see Don's quarantine room and grow out tanks first hand a few weeks ago. Curently he is importing all of his discus from Malaysia, and I have to tell you he has some absolutely stunning fish. Some of his adult discus are top quality, and he has some of the cleanest pigeons I've seen anywhere. (Keep in mind I've only been into discus for 12 months!!) Don has been into aquaculture for many, many years and it is very interesting to pick his brains over a cup of coffee!!

Buying fish sight unseen is always going to be a hit-or-miss option, unless like Rod and April you have been friends for years and the breeder hand picks his best fish for you. Don orders his fish from Malaysia on the basis of photos, and he said sometimes what he receives isn't the same as a photo of a prize-winning fish. Not to say that the fish isn't nice in it's own way, but it may not be the discus you were expecting. Don sells wholesale to petshops in Sydney and Adelaide, and Melbourne I think too. Unfortunately not Brisbane yet. The best way would be to get in touch with Don direct via e-mail and go from there. Alternatively, there are at least two petshops in Sydney that I know of that import direct from Penang and sell to the public. Of course thier overheads are higher and the discus more expensive, and unless you are planning on getting $1,000 worth of discus, shipping will not be an option. Those lucky Sydney-siders!!!

Oh well, that's my post for the week - LOL. Rod's mate does have half a dozen high quality Penang white swans, but he's trying to breed them so we will have to wait. I think he will have a ready market for the top-notch offspring.

Cheers, Scott

April
09-17-2002, 07:02 PM
well there you have it...as you can see.... Scott has been doing his white fishy hunt....high and low. now you have the scoop...and after Scott..you can be first!
LOL.
so......i think Scotts and Aris favourite word is gonna rear its ugly head once again!! WAIT!!!!!!!!!
sooner or later they will come...and sooner or later they will be bred there....and sooner or later....if you wait.....the price will come down.
But if Scott does have his way...he will get some into the country...with someones help who can do the quarantining..and some extras may tag along ...and will be for sale.

scottwheels
09-17-2002, 07:26 PM
LOL April, you've got that right. Patience is not one of my virtues! I can see it now - the market will be flooded with white fish and they will be a dime a dozen! And I'll be there with the first ones that cost $100 for 1" fish!!! Hahahaha! WAIT Scott!!!

Cheers!

Serpae
09-17-2002, 07:34 PM
Yeah, yeah, I know. "Good thing's come to those who wait", but I am turning the big three O next month and time is running out fast, hehehehehehehe. :'(

Hiya Tabz :P, still fangin but water here is pretty tight at the moment. We have been on water restriction's the last couple of week's, and don't the fish just love what comes out of the pipe. :puke: There even talking about training it in from Pt Pirie, OMG.

So I will adopt Scott's fav word then and replace the one I really hate to here "NO".

Hey Nolah, you can go first after me then ;D

Serpae
09-17-2002, 07:39 PM
Hey Scott. You can get them in and I will look after them for you until the price comes down. ::)

scottwheels
09-17-2002, 07:54 PM
Yeah no worries mate! Hahahahaha!! That's my line! So the big three oh next month? I hit that milestone last week - so I know what you're saying mate, running out of time. Well you never know, those white discus could be just around the corner! Cheers, Scott

Serpae
09-18-2002, 07:05 AM
Congratulation's for last week Scott. I think if I put some fin's on my face, I would outdoo the best White Discus anywhere next month. Hehehehe ;)

saints27
09-19-2002, 12:01 AM
hi all fellow aussies my name is Jamie and i live on the sunshine coast (maroochydore) in Queensland,ive just got started into discus and i dont seem to do things slowly ,i currently have 52 discus (4 different strains) with another 18 coming in the next week.As far as exotic discus (Don from Cairns) I recieved 14 really nice fish from him the only thing is they dont look like the pictures on the web site but they are beautiful fish non the less !
As i have only just started i look forward to speaking to you all in the future as you never can know enough
thanks
Jamie

nalah
09-19-2002, 12:06 AM
Hello Jamie,
you don't muck around do you?........ you already have 52? just when did you start?

Pascale

Serpae
09-19-2002, 12:28 AM
Hello Jamie, welcome to the wonderfull world of keeping Discuss. Drop me a line if you need any Valium, hehehehe. :o

Hiya Pascale, long time no see! ;D

nalah
09-19-2002, 12:40 AM
and WHY would Jamie need valium?...........
BTW.. hope you dont get offended,but i love the name jamie. my persian cats name is jamal glenbar (stuck-up show name)..jamie for short.

ari_wh
09-19-2002, 12:52 AM
Wow... Jamie....

You actually make me feel better..... to know that there is one person out there that outdo me in getting into the deep end...lol ;D ;D Welcome!!! So.. soon you will have 70 discus??? I would love to see them one day, since we don't live that far away.... Scott's auntie lives up in Noosa. So.. we take the trip up north every now and then.. and I love going to Eumundi market too.

Valium for Jamie, Darren??? lol ;D ;D

Pascale....

I have a persian cat.. but no show name... just a plain gingernut and gingie for short... See my avatar... that is him :)

nalah
09-19-2002, 01:22 AM
Ari,
i actually have two of them .both aged 11.
Anna is a blue/cream,got her when she was 3.5yo. breeder didnt want her anymore as she could not have natural childbirth..oopps....kittenbirths..LOL.
Jamie(anna's half brother) is a blue. got him at 18 months..born with only one testicle... poor baby. so he was no good to the breeder either.
they do not get treated like purebred show cats,believe me.at the moment,both look pretty bloody ugly as i shave them for summer. both have really flat faces and it's a bit cruel ..they can hardly breath in hot weather.

Serpae
09-19-2002, 01:49 AM
Yeah, Valium for his Discus. If he is anything like me his fish will need it. :vanish:

"Oh no, here he comes again :noway: :scared:. Why can't he just leave us in peace, PLEASE I hope he isn't going to try and feed us something different again, I am just getting used to the stuff that he gives us on Monday night's". :spit:

On that note, any one tried Vinegar Worm's or White Worm's. I have some arriving on the weekend for the EN. :inquisitive:

Serpae
09-19-2002, 02:29 AM
Hey April, you got a posting of your new Discus Yet. :-*

saints27
09-19-2002, 07:02 AM
hi guys
Gee there is so much to learn and ive always had this problem(well not really a problem) of jumping in the deep end if im going to do something i always seem to go flat out ! Even with reading instructions on medicine or just water additives ,id been using CYCLE for 3 weeks and just read on the label that you are supposed to keep it refridgerated after opening,ah well i allways forget to shake it before using it as well.
Look forward to talking with you all
Pascale I got the first lot 4 weeks ago yesterday the rest I will have had for 4 weeks on saturday.
Ari you and Scott are more than welcome to drop in any time you like.
As for the valium BRING IT ON...

April
09-19-2002, 09:36 AM
serpae.....give me time!! Im on the way to my airport right now to get the little Aussie fishies!!
I'll let you know how it goes. first thing they will have to accept is their whirlpool is gonna go the wrong way..when i do thier water change!!!

Serpae
09-19-2002, 07:11 PM
April, I am sure that they will get used to it.
Hope that they arrive all safely and settle in well. HAVE FUN! ;D

nalah
09-21-2002, 05:50 AM
Jamie,
I'm sue everyone is as curious as i am.(are you?)
Tell us where you got your discus from. you mention exotic discus...where else.
if you are happy with fish,service,price etc. please ad to the AUSTRALIAN SUPPLIERS thread,under "trade,buy,sell."topic.

thanks.
Pascale.

Serpae
09-21-2002, 07:11 AM
Hey Jamie, I am as curiouse as Pascale, GIVE US THE LOW DOWN! Do you work at an aquarium shop, or better still do you own one! ::)

Smokey
09-22-2002, 01:21 PM
Howdy Scott; Ari was saying you are buying her a digital camera,, your spoiling her..lol..

Ari...I got my disucs.. all all beautiful and very healthy !!!
I should call them " SNOWFALL DISCUS " ; because of all the bad weather I had to go through to get them; huge windstorm and a then a blizzard...whew !

Thanks for help.

Smokey

April
09-22-2002, 01:31 PM
Smokey im sure it was worth it. ;D
guess no more fishies for you till meltdown then,.
get ripping those boxes open and get a camera out so we can see your new little Aussies.
i'll be posting mine today i hope..if they worked.

ari_wh
09-22-2002, 07:28 PM
Smokey :)

Glad they are doing well.. despite the windstorm and blizzard...lol. Come on... dig out that camera.. and show us how happy they are in your tank :)

Smokey
09-23-2002, 01:29 PM
Well,...... maybe !!!

BlueTurquoise
09-23-2002, 08:56 PM
Oh man! All aussie thread! Sorry I arrived late!

Pascale and I will be going to the ADA meeting this Saturday in Parramatta in Sydney (that is if she calls me and we meet up in time). Anyway if anyone else here can make it give us a bell on vvizard@ozemail.com.au

Hope to see you there!

Chong

nalah
09-23-2002, 09:06 PM
starts at 7.30 Chong. I can be at your place at 6.45. call me.
I am calling Henry to check if he'll be there.......

saints27
09-25-2002, 10:32 AM
Pascale
to be quite honest with you i can not recommend where i previously got my discus from but the new ones i just got i can highly recommend the breeder!
It is Rod lewis ,he is a fantastic guy with sensational looking discus ,and not to mention a wealth of knowledge, he was very willing to give me all the information i needed as well as giving me the best advice i have recieved so far.So if you want top quality,healthy discus then get intouch with rod and im sure he can look after you !
Jamie

saints27
09-25-2002, 10:38 AM
serpae
I dont work in a fish shop nor do i own one (yet). ;)
As i said im just a guy who can get things at the right price.
And im still waiting for you to tell me what you want , Just tell me what it is and i will see what price i can get it for you , no obligation but you may be pleasantly surprised :thumbsup:
Jamie

nalah
09-25-2002, 05:42 PM
Hi Jamie,
I did contact Rod. He has nothing available at the moment.. :-[
There are things that i need,but dont you live in the land of the bronco's???. freight could be a problem

Pascale

April
09-25-2002, 09:33 PM
Nalah..he sent them all to me...and Jason andsmokey here in canada. ;D
hence no more.... LOL.
he does have some of the nicest fishies ive seen as babies.....if you check out Aprils new babies...you will see them. He will get going and make more.....im sure.
If Ari doesnt scoop them all. ::)

ari_wh
09-26-2002, 01:30 AM
hhhmmm...

I never scoop them... only get a few at the time :) Although.. just picked up rsg x rd that I have been waiting for a while.... Rod is kind enough to keep them for me.. till I got my tank ready....lol.

Pascale, keep calling and e-mailing.. hopefully, he will have some beautiful ones for you soon :). And trust be.. they will be nice babies... ;D Although.. I probably will be there first to do the first scooping....lol.

Smokey
09-26-2002, 01:47 AM
Pascale; I can atest to the quality of Rods' discus...almost 42 hours in trancient; plus 3 hours in a snowstorm to get them home, and all, and I do mean all are in excellant health and shape...

By the way : do not believe Ari, she is one of the biggest scoopers I have ever meet (LOL)...

Smokey

nalah
09-26-2002, 01:47 AM
never mind. but i wont complain in the meantime. lets face it ladies (April & Ari)...I have both Trevor AND Henry literally at my doorstep. ;D

Coetz
09-26-2002, 10:20 AM
Hey guys, and I thougt I was the only Aussie, :computer:
but now I know there are alot more, well the only diffrence between us is that I am in Perth, hahaha, and I have only had fish for about a year and discus for about 10 months, how is that for starting off big! But all 9 of my discus are doing excelently well. C u guys later
P.S. I am only 15, so don't ask me anything about beer, cause I don't usually drink.

Coetz**

ari_wh
09-26-2002, 08:13 PM
Coetz,

Glad you make it to the locator section... Yes, there are a few of us here.. but nobody comes from Perth, only you so far.. I think the furthest one is Serpae from Broken Hill, otherwise most of us come from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.

Well.. you are starting big.. when I was your age.. I had goldfish and guppies :)

BlueTurquoise
09-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Hey Coetz! welcome to the forum! This is the all aussie corner ;D

I am very looking forward to seeing what Rob can get. He has some dang nice fish... as Big Kev would say "I'M EXCITED"!!!!

Chong

Coetz
09-27-2002, 07:07 AM
Hey guys for all the welcomes ;D
Would any of you know where I can get some cheap discus pairs imported my way or shipped or anything as long as I get them here to Perth. One of my Blue Diamond just died and I am getting Pi#s@d off cause they aren't doing anything. So I Have to go get a new tank which is about 400L and divide it into breeding sections and community tank. Any help would be appreciated.. ;D thanx

Coetz**

Serpae
09-27-2002, 08:11 AM
Hi Coetz, welcome to Oz online, hehehe. :wave:

Hi Aussie crew. :wave:

Yes Coetz I am way, way, way, way out here, bit lonely stuck this far away :waaa:, am so envious especially when you guy's are all in the big smoke having so much fun! :bounce: :bounce2: :drummer:

Hey Jamie, can you lay your hands on live plants, especially Anubias spp, and live foods, vinegar eels, white worms, etc. Would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! :inquisitive:

cichlidfan
09-28-2002, 09:01 AM
Hello Everyone,
I haven't been on here for a while.
Its good to see that the Aussies are supporting this forum.
For those that don't know me my name is Allan and I live in Brisbane.
I have a few fish, not as many as I would like to have or have had in the past and I am only a hobbyist now.

Serpae
09-28-2002, 06:43 PM
Welcome back Allen, there are oodles of us ozzies sighned up now, and a few in Brizzy. Have fun.

Smokey
09-29-2002, 02:36 AM
Just a quick question. I just received my discus from Aussie land and was wondering; How long before the discus learn to swim the right side up ???

HAHAHAHA
Hi Scott/Ari/Rod/serpae/cichlidfan and all the rest of ya !

By the way IT IS SNOWING !!! BRRRR

Smokey
IN the other colony.

Serpae
09-29-2002, 06:47 AM
Hiya Smokey in the Rockie's. :wave:

If you turned your tank the right way up, maybe they would, lol. Don't talk about snow :-X, it is just starting to warm up here, and I have had enough of the Brrrrrrr and looking foreward to the :sun: weather.

April
09-29-2002, 08:09 AM
well....my little aussie fishies are scared stiff of their whirlpool going the wrong way evertime i do a water change
::)

Serpae
09-29-2002, 06:18 PM
Ummmmm............. ???, Oh I know, when you change the water April, tip it into the opposite side of the tank that you normally do, it should reverse the whirle pool, hehehe. ;D

Smokey
09-30-2002, 10:22 AM
AH - turn the tank !

O.K. , let me try that; I'll be right back...

Well I'll be dipped in goose fat and turned out.. it
" WORKED " !!!!!!!!

As for the weather...keep the damm stuff...I'm not ready to start shovelling snow.... the ******** is heavy enough !!! LOL...

Yu all take care now

Smokey

The other " down under " ! or should that be the " UP THERE " !!!!!!!

discusfreak
10-01-2002, 07:04 PM
Hi everyone I am from NT and I have just discovered your site. It is great. It is good to see so many other Aussies are there as well. Since I live int he middle of know where in NT I was just wanting to know if any of you Aussies know of a good mail order or online fish essentials supplier as it is quite hard to get to a fish shop where I live. The nearest town is about 3 hrs drive and you ca not get much in the way of discus products out here anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :'(

scottwheels
10-01-2002, 07:18 PM
G'day DF, have a butcher's at this thread:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=3002

There is another aquarium mail order site that sells a different range of products, but I think the prices are comparable. http://www.aquaria.com.au/
Well you've come to the right place if you want to get some expert advice on discus. I'm sure I wouldn't not have the fish I have today if it wasn't for the fine people that offer their time and knowledge free of charge here at simplydiscus.
HTH you a bit. BTW I'm in Nhulunbuy. Where are you?

Cheers, Scott

Ann
10-01-2002, 09:00 PM
Hi there discusfreak and welcome to the site. This is just a message to all you aussies out there about a new online store.

www.aquamall.com.au

It is not up and running yet but it will be in the next couple of months. I personally know the people starting it up and the prices look like they will be very competitive. If there is anything you would like to see included in their stock list let me know and I will be happy to pass it on to them. Or send me anything you are interested in purchasing and I will see if I can get prices for anyone interested before the site goes online. ;D

ari_wh
10-01-2002, 09:29 PM
Hi Ann

Thanks for letting us know... I would be interested to see how much they charge for stuff... cause pet shop is getting more expensive every day and annoying to have to go to different pet shop to get different things.....

Where have you been, anyway? How are the fishie? Got the big tank yet? or have you converted that African tank into discus?

Ann
10-01-2002, 09:36 PM
I went to Cairns for a wedding and have been trying to catch up with work since I have been back. I was so busy in cairns I did not get a chance to see Don when I was there. May I will get there when I go up there for Christmas.The fishies are doing great.I am still working on converting that tank. Let me know if there is anything in particular you are interested in because they are setting up stock now and are keen to hear what sort of things people would like them to stock. I might be able to get you an advance copy of there prices on anything you need.

ari_wh
10-01-2002, 09:52 PM
Hi Ann,

I forgot that you had a wedding to go to in Cairns... We are not going to that wedding.. on this weekend, because of Scott's work... so unpredictable. So, no visiting Don's fishroom for me either.... Oh well....

Just normal stuff, I guess... like heater, filter, sponge filter...definitely.. hard to get in pet shops.... Is there anything else... anyone??? Give Ann some idea here......

Ann
10-01-2002, 11:11 PM
Ari,
I will email them and see if I can get a list of some of the things they have and some prices and post them here for everyone to check out.

Ann :D

nalah
10-02-2002, 01:40 AM
you know someone else who sells discus and i wasn't told.................... :'(
who's Don,where is he? what sort of discus.etc,etc,etc
;D

pascale

nalah
10-02-2002, 01:51 AM
Hi Ann
type of things we always need:
water conditioner
nets (those very fine ones)
medications
breeding cones
heaters
filter media
......... and of course
MORE DISCUS.

pascale

Ann
10-02-2002, 02:33 AM
Don Richmond lives in Cairns and he has some great discus. you can check out his fish at
http://www.zoomnet.com.au/donr/
I recently got some fish from him and they were great. Some good prices to even with the cost of postage. Check out the tradingpost site in your state or at least the QLD one
www.tradingpost.com.au

Don sometimes puts specials in the fish section under the name Exotic Discus. ;)

aquamall
10-02-2002, 06:36 PM
Deleted By Brewmaster15.

no1joey
10-12-2002, 01:29 AM
:bounce: Hey All !! :bounce:

My Names alex as u can see to the left , and yes i love discus , why else would i be here ?? only been into discus for a few months now, everyday i realise how much more there is than just 'keeping fish'.

I live in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney.And am currently remodelling for my new tank i am going to buy.Im thinking of buying one from Trans Aquariums in Canley Vale...anyone know of this place ? ?

Anyway great to see all the aussies in one nice spot !! ;D Speak to you all later !! :bandana:

saints27
10-12-2002, 02:17 AM
Welcome Alex
I used to live in the St George area before moving to Queensland 2 years ago.
I have heard of Trans Aquariums being mentioned a few times on here before I think it was on one of the earlier pages .
Any way nice to see you on here and enjoy your discus

Jamie

Rod
10-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Hi alex,

Welcome to Simply discus.

I don't actually live in Sydney, but i do know Norman from Lam's aquarium in Canley Vale quite well. My experience with him is he is a very knowledgable fish keeper and he imports very nice discus as well as supporting the local breeders by buying our fish too, definately one of the better lps around.

Rod

nalah
10-12-2002, 07:30 PM
oooopppsss! Rod... Norm is at Lams.... ;)

Norm- Lams aquarium,is at Campsie....
333 Canterbury Road
Campsie
02 9718-4406

the canley vale one is
Trans Aquarium
(Amy)
2/17 Canley Vale Road
Canley Vale
02 9724-9395

I know that Amy keeps all fish at home in fishroom for 4-6 weeks before putting them up for sale in the shop.
Very nice fish,look really healthy.

They are the only 2 LFS they i would buy discus from in my area.
I also buy from Henry (private breeder)
And I have put myself on Rods waiting list.... ;D

pascale

nalah
10-12-2002, 07:37 PM
I NEED some of these :)

nalah
10-12-2002, 07:38 PM
some of these...............

nalah
10-12-2002, 07:39 PM
some of these............ ;D

nalah
10-12-2002, 07:40 PM
oh,and i reallllly need these........ :o

April
10-12-2002, 10:31 PM
LOL Pascale. Dont take them all....theres others who still are in desperate need of all the above mentioned fish!!!!!
::)
but yeah.....think you need to try some of each....you will smile everytime you see them in your tanks.
get some others to share shipping with you. or go get them . and go on a holiday. what better way for aholiday than a dicsus one

nalah
10-12-2002, 10:47 PM
I plan on being really nice to Rob,get on my hands and knees and wait to see what he is willing to let me have.
i have not purchased fish for a while.....
the withdrawal symptoms are really strong....don't know how much longer i can hang on.
i might be tempted to visit Henry soon,to see how his alenquers are doing......lol ;)

April
10-12-2002, 11:24 PM
Ok well if you want brownie points with RoD.....first you better get rid of that B in his name.... LOL RoD as in Rodney. not RoB.
;D

nalah
10-13-2002, 12:28 AM
it was a typo......
sorry ROD! ;)

April
10-13-2002, 01:02 AM
LOL. ::)

nalah
10-13-2002, 02:26 AM
Ari
talking of holidays.......
still coming down ???????

Rod
10-13-2002, 04:24 AM
Hi Pascale,

Thanks for correcting me there, i reread the post and seen where i went wrong. :blockhead: Never actually been to Trans at canly vale, though i have talked to Howard a few times on the phone over the years. Seems like a nice guy and i hear his range of fish is fantastic.

I have visited Norman at Lams Aquarium a couple of times and find him a very likeable fella. He even sent me one of his customers that moved here to Queensland. Quite unexpected really, but shows he tries to do the right thing by his customers i believe by helping werever he can.

Rod

nalah
10-13-2002, 05:07 AM
next time you visit Norm,call me...I'm 5 minutes away....LOL

He does try to do the best for customers. He,unlike others,never tries to sell you a shop full of stuff you'll never need.And he sells healthy fish.

I have never spoken to Howard. his daughter tells me he stays at home to care for all the imports he has in QT.
I like that about trans.....

other LFS receive fish,then dump them into tanks.then i come along,buy them and they drop dead within a week.
but i know better now.

no1joey
10-13-2002, 05:58 AM
hehehe i work for the freight agent that does the import for trans aquariums fish ;).. i see the fish get off the plane ,then myself and a few AQIS guys(australian quarantine inspection service ) open up every box and inspect them.to make sure they dont look visibly diseased and to make sure they are whats on the packing list.

The discus are in quite small bags ( the same size they are in when u by them from your LFS ) and usually wrapped in some newspaper from watever country they came from (malaysia ,thailand )...i say they go thru quite some stress during the trip i.e put on the plane taken off the plane. I dont think these Qantas ground crew guys handle every single package like a baby...u can just tell by looking at them....

Then a courier comes and delivers them to Trans.From the time the plane touches the ground till the time they arrive at Trans id say would be about 5 - 7 hours.If any longer you usually get fatalities .. :'(

I saw a beautiful shipment of discus come in 2 weeks ago,so theyd be in howards quarantine tanks right now,should see them in a week or two...check em out !!

April
10-13-2002, 01:17 PM
Alex. discus can go far longer then 5-7 hours....mine were 36 hours and all good. and ive had 50 hour fish..due to airline glitches....and still alive. The packing and being at the airport a few hours before the flight takes off alone is almost 5 hours.
Thats neat you get to see the fish all come in...
Report back when you find a bunch of pure white ones coming in in those boxes. I seem to know someone who is seeking them out!

no1joey
10-13-2002, 06:02 PM
Will do ! I meant that when thye touch down an get deleivered if 5-7 hours elapse remember u got to add on at least another 24 hours. i.e when they were packed overseas.50 hours !? wow super discus !! ;D ;D

Serpae
10-13-2002, 06:32 PM
Did I hear myself correctly, did someone mention "white's" are coming here. DON'T LET SCOTT KNOW, tell ME first, hehehehe. :lickin:

April
10-13-2002, 09:59 PM
Scott is first.......hes a desperate man!!!!! LOL.
Im helping him and Ari hunt them down.
Yeah.....super discus from a super breeder and a super packer!! ;D

nalah
10-13-2002, 10:21 PM
same here. if i see or hear of whites,i'll call Ari & Scott.
i know of 2 places here. but the price is way over the top...

no1joey
10-14-2002, 04:06 AM
Well Trans Aquariums already have a few white daimonds in their shop.I think there about $180 each ( dont quote me ).. 2 inches long..very clean looking..

nalah
10-14-2002, 04:37 AM
i know............ and ask Scott what he thinks,but i think thats a little toooooo expensive for a 2" :o
to start breeding,you'd need how many to get a pair....6 - 10 at least......@180.00 each
Ari would boot Scott out the door ...without his fishies....LOL

no1joey
10-14-2002, 05:07 AM
Ok guys im buying a 60 -80 litre quarantine tank.Im going to start to buy my discus now ,so in 6 weeks my proper 350 litre tank will be up and running ;D ;D ;D

So i have some cash to spend and no where to spend it.Yes i think $180 is a little expensive for 2 inches.even if they are white...maybe later.

Well anyone wanna sell me some nice fish ? Preferably over 3 inches.As long as they are clean i dont really care what strain... ;D ;D :) :) ;) ;) :D :D :P :P

P.s im in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney...

nalah
10-14-2002, 05:33 AM
spend away kiddo....
since you have no place to put them for now.....we'll look after them....
right guys!!!
;D :bounce2: :angel: :thumbsup:

Rod
10-14-2002, 05:48 AM
For all those aussie WHITE discus lovers. I was looking at the Aquarium Industries wholesale price list ( Melbourne) at work on the weekend and they have both the white and the red/white available. Size is 6cm ( although that includes the tail) and the price looks good. I can't say the price as that company only sells to the pet shops, but they should work out way cheaper than $180 specially if you have a good relationship with your lps.

I should mention that there are breeding specimens of that strain in Australia, so i expect they will be more common and a bit cheaper very soon. I will be getting my first ones this week ;D, a good mate has just bred red/white with rsg (pic below) I'll post some pics of them as they grow, they will be 1 cm when i pick them up so won't look like much yet.

no1joey
10-14-2002, 05:55 AM
Im sure with ur experience nalah they will have a good home ;D

no1joey
10-14-2002, 06:32 AM
ok question time for u Sydney siders here, I want to get an electric conductivity / ph / hardness metre.

Does anyone know if this is a good idea? ive heard that they are very accurate , but expensive....

Anyone know where i can pik one up ? ?

Serpae
10-14-2002, 06:37 AM
Hiya, I have got a Solid White down at the shop. It came from Aquarium Industries. A very nice little fishy it is too (imho) we have 130.00 on it. It is still in the tank, not mine cause I don't know the pedigree of it. We also have a Red and White as well. The other beauty that we got is a Blue Leopard Snakeskin (bit footbally though).

nalah
10-14-2002, 07:39 AM
all white doesn't do it for me. but i do like the red/white...ummm!! very nice.... ;D

Smokey
10-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Hey Rod !!!!!

DON'T FORGET US CANUCKS !!!!!

WE WANT SOME OF YOUR DISCUS ALSO.........

Smokey

Serpae
10-14-2002, 05:40 PM
I'm terribly sorry Smokey, but you are just going to have to wait. There arn't many left here as it is. April has taken them all. lol. ;D

ari_wh
10-14-2002, 06:27 PM
Hey...

I was gone for a few days... family commitment... and this corner has grown!!!! ;D ;D

Alex, Welcome!!!!! Good to have another Aussie around :). Yes, Scott will certainly be in trouble if he buys those 2inch $180 white discus!!! For sure!!

Rod, What do you think about me coming over and looking at those red white x rsg????? Haven't seen you in a while ;D ;D. Sorry... everyone, neighbouring suburb get the first priority....lol.

Serpae, Take photo of those white discus, will you????

Serpae
10-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Hey Ari will try, but didn't you sell Scott the digital camera that I wanted to buy, or did Scott sell it to you! Give me a couple of days and I will see what I can do. Maybe it would be just as easy to send it over and you can check it out yourself. Early chrissy prezzy for Scott, lol.

Rod, do you know the origin of Aquarium Industries White's, and the breeding behind them.

saints27
10-14-2002, 06:49 PM
Ari Im pretty much a neighbour as well (its only a 55 minute drive) so does that mean that we get first pick???
Ill be there in 55 minutes Rod.LOL

Jamie

Rod
10-14-2002, 07:27 PM
Hi Ari and Jamie, yeah come over and take a look at them when i get them, should be later this week. they are still on the parents, so when ready to remove some will be here. I'll put the kettle on :)

Serpae, I am told the whites are a mutation from brown type discus. The white gene seems to be dominant as many of the babies in a cross carry the white look. I think they originated in Penang, most of the ones here came from there. Not sure about this, but the red /white looks like a cross between white and san merah to me!!!HTH I'm sure AI would tell you if you asked them.

Rod

April
10-14-2002, 07:39 PM
Can i come over for tea also? or coffee?
:'(

Serpae
10-14-2002, 08:34 PM
Hey Rod, thank's. That does help, it sounds like they carry the 'Homozygous' gene.

I breed Merle Shetland Sheepdog's. Once the gene is bred in, it is hard to breed out. It is virtually carried through the DNA structure from every breeding and will resurface down the track. If you breed anything carrying the homozygous gene, you will be thrown whites, regardless of the parents colour.

If you breed a homozygous to homozygous and birth a pure white dog, it has a near 100% chance of being deaf and blind.

I wonder how that stands with fish. Maybe that is why the strain is weak.

saints27
10-14-2002, 08:51 PM
Serpae
That is very interesting to know.
It sounds like liquuid paper is easier.LOL

Jamie

no1joey
10-15-2002, 03:28 AM
Take two blues and breed all the blue outta them ? If im not mistaken their totally different from albinos.

Serpae
10-15-2002, 05:47 AM
Unfortunately I have no knowledge of fish genetics, I can relate dog genetics and hope that it stand true.

When breeding for Blue Merle, you shouldn't cross a blue with a blue because one or both will carry the homozgyous gene and the resulting genetic code will result in a pure white dog, or a double merle. An Albino, oculo-cutaneous albinism. You can cross a Tri colored dog with a merle and the litter hopefully will contain merle pup's, if not, the tri pups from that litter will contain the merle gene and a follow mating from that litter with a merle should again hopefully produce the merleing. That is why it is so hard to get a merle coated dog without getting the albino, this is where the homozgyous gene comes into effect. I don't know how this would relate at breeding Discus though, or the problems associated with the homozgous gene.

When breeding for the merle, you are also likely to end up with Clear Silver, Bi-Blue, Bi-Black, Dilute Silver, and a few other variation's, here in Australia only the Blue Merle, Black and White, Sable and Tri-colour are recognised show colours.

I do have only limited knowledge and stand corrected on this one, as it is a little confusing. There is a lot more involved on what I have tried to simplify, and as a result a lot of explaining has been left out, and no doubt a lot of important information.

nalah
10-15-2002, 06:47 AM
I do have only limited knowledge and stand corrected on this one, as it is a little confusing. [/quote

???............ LOL...was your intention to confuse us..

no1joey
10-15-2002, 07:27 AM
i was going to put up a report on local sydney tap water and its contents ( untouched by chemicals ) BUT i dont think u should pay much attention as the results were a bit of a surprise..

I tested the water in my tank.
0 nitrite
0 nitrate
3.6 dH or 60 ppm ( hardness )
ph about 6.

Then the tap water
0 nitrite
0 nitrate
3.6 dH , 60 ppm
ph 7.6 or greater...

:o :o Either the testers i bought are out of date , or Sydney water has finally woken up to its self !! ;D ;D

Serpae
10-15-2002, 07:50 PM
Hey Alex :wave:

Maybe you could take samples of your tank water and some of YOUR tapwater over to a friends house and use their test kits, then you will know if your's are out of date if there is a significant difference in readings.

My tap water is so hard you could stand a spoon in it, lol, 165ppm on average, it comes out of the tap reading neatral, and within 1/2 an hour it reads 8.4. I even use marine test kits when first testing the water as normal range kits don't go high enough sometimes.

If Sydney water has changed, then you will be laughing.

Sorry Pascale for sounding a little confusing, I get a little excited when talking about Merle's and my brain works faster than what I can put pen to paper.

On a post in here somewhere, someone was saying how the advent of the white discus has opened the door for a whole new variety of colours to be bred. We have seen this with the Red and White, and a couple of other colour strains allready. We may even in the future see a Solid Purple White Leopard, or who knows, it is endless now.

I was saying how the homozgous gene has a habit of popping up and this shows with fluke breeding's in the wild with Kangaroo's, Kookaburra's and other animals producing white, or albino's, the offspring rarely survive in the wild due to predation because they stick out like a sore thumb. It is chance that two parents carrying the gene pair up together and vuala, white babies. If these offspring (of anything) end up in the right hands, then more and more white/albino (of anything) will be available to people interested in this colour, or lack of (melanine). Again, these birds, fish, animals, are not as hardy, and are usually prone to disease attack until years of dedicated breeding attempts of outcrossing, linebreeding etc toughen the strain up.

I said earlier that white pups in Shetland Sheepdogs are usually deaf and/or blind, this is only the case when a oculo-cutaneous albino is whelped, the combination of the double homozgous gene carried by both parents. There is a 98o/o chance of this happening with merle merle mating's. HOWEVER you can have a cutaneous albino meaning only coat or skin lack melanine and therefore the dog will be OK, but you will not know if it is a full albino until the eyes open and colour of the eye shows some weeks latter. If the red eye is present, then the dog will have to be euthanased as it will be deaf and blind. Luckily I have not had this happen to me, and hopefully my breeding attempts will not produce any pups like this.

Oculo-cutaneous albinism, refers to eye (red) and skin/coat white, a full albino.
Oculo albinism, refers to eye (red) but skin/coat any colour.
Cutaneous albinism, refers to eye (any colour other than red) but white coat/skin.

When I say red, it refers to that translucent reflective dreamy red colour.

nalah
10-15-2002, 09:14 PM
Serpae.wasn't confused.only having a go at you.LOL
thats the problem with posts.... can't tell what people really think.....

i understand about the genes with dogs........
i found this out a while back.....
with any dog,its the same story...
many years ago,i wanted a white g.sheperd.... could not get them.breeders used to kill them at birth because they were no good for breeders or shows.but now,because its fashionable..(what a joke)..if a breeder is lucky to get a white pup,they sell them for 3-4 x the $.. ........... and the risk of getting a blind or deaf dog is there.

Serpae
10-15-2002, 09:34 PM
;D Thanks Pascale, I confuse myself half the time, it really isn't hard to do, hehehehe! :thumbsup: I saw a LOL in your post and knew that you were having an Aussie dig, lol. I do get carried away :P Lucky I havn't talked to you in person, :waaa: to tears, lmao.

scottwheels
10-15-2002, 09:43 PM
Isn't it odd... It's generally accepted that a white cat with blue eyes will be deaf - and most of them are. There are exceptions with the breeds selectively bred for blue eye colour, such as foreign white siamese. A white cat with golden or green eyes is not genetically predisposed to deafness. As far as a cat with red eyes goes, I don't know - I've never seen one!!

Cheers, Scott

no1joey
10-15-2002, 10:32 PM
Serpae ,
Im the only, one in my circle of freinds who keeps discus,making this site very very important to me !

The guy at my LFS tested his tap water and it was 90 ppm , but that was with an electronic hardness metre,so my 60 ppm wasnt too bad based on a colour chart.

Is it possible for tap water not to have any nitrate or nitrite ?

He said the testers werent out of date.
They are aquasonic testers btw.
I think we are lucky to have sydney water !if only the ph could be lowered.
By the way ,how often do each of u guys age ur water for before putting it in the tank.assuming its treated tap water not RO or rain water ? ? ? ?

nalah
10-16-2002, 02:08 AM
Alex
for specific questions,post them in relevant topic section.... this aussie corner has gone a bit mad............. you have a better chance of getting a reply...
here,we talk dogs,cats,the weather...and of course who will get Rod's next lot of babies.........
AH! babies,as in "discus babies"................ ;)

no1joey
10-16-2002, 04:30 AM
Well to me these questions are relevent, im not sure if the rest of the world have heard of aquasonic , a reason y i posted here , and i do beleive i was talking about sydney water parametres...this is an aussie thread isnt it ?

Serpae the questions still stand ;D

Smokey
10-16-2002, 04:49 AM
WE CANUCK'S GET ROD'S NEXT DISCUS FRY !!!! and don't ya all ferget that ...lol

nalah
10-16-2002, 05:39 AM
Alex,
you misunderstood my post.
all i meant was,if you post in WATER section,more people,including more aussies ,will see your post.
some people dont visit these parts of the woods.
please don't get offended.
it was only a suggestion because here you are,asking questions about discus,while the rest of us talk about dogs and who's getting Rod's next lot of fry...
its the aussie Chat room.....LOL

April
10-16-2002, 05:51 AM
and a few wierd canadians...but we're parents to little aussie fishies.... so gotta make sure they keep up with their culture. ;D
Ive heard of aquasonics.....and.....guess what. some of their stuff is here...in Canada. i have a test kit from aquasonics. i have a hardness test kit. :))))))
And i visit with Jan ....who works there on chat.

saints27
10-16-2002, 06:06 AM
Alex
I dont get nitrite or nitrate in tap water up here in Qld ,I cant see how you are getting it down ther

Jamie

Rod
10-16-2002, 06:06 AM
Hi serpae,

I'm not 100% sure that the white is homozygous or heterozygous, i have never seen a spawn of them yet. Most likely homozygous i would say. The red/ white my friend bred has to be heterozygous and since he outcrossed that fish, the white fry will also be heterozygous. To make it homozygous, 2 heterozygous fish must be bred together, then 25% of the fry should be homozygous for the white gene. These can be selected and bred together to once more make all homozygous fry if thats what the breeder wants. At least that how i understand it to be :-\ i agree with the veiw about homozygous fry being weeker compared to there heterozygous siblings, my golden pair produce almost 25% homozygous fry, and they definately grow slower that the others.

Rod

Rod
10-16-2002, 06:39 AM
Hi Pascale,

Thanks for being so patient with me, i do have some very nice scribbles growing out right now that should be ready real soon. I noticed them on your wish list......lol, so i thought i will save some for you. i'll mail you soon and let you know about them.

Hey Scott,

i reacon that home brew ale of yours would make any cats eyes turn red...........lol ;D

G'day Smokey,

hey aren't you snowed in for the winter? :D

Rod

April
10-16-2002, 06:45 AM
think smokey is begging for the spring...rod.... ;D
wait till you have tons.......so we can get a plane load. ::)

no1joey
10-16-2002, 08:09 AM
God these posts are been replied to too fast !!!
Pascale : i wasnt offended just misunderstood u,i wasnt sure if my posts on another page would get canadians and germans or aussies !!! ;D ;D

saints 27 i dont get nitrite or nitrate either , i just expected it i guess , but turns out sydney water is clean !!! ..except for chlorine...and chloromine...o and a ph of 8 ! :o
also dH is very low !! about 3.5 !! ( 60 ppm )

nalah
10-16-2002, 05:36 PM
Rod,
:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Serpae
10-16-2002, 08:37 PM
Hey Guys and Girls :wave:

I have got a great idea.

We can still have our little chinwags over here in the little Aussie section, lol, but maybe when we have question's, post them in the relevant sections like Pascale suggested and then post the link here. That way, we will know when an Aussie has posted.

I will see if Al can russtle something up for us like Rod advised in an earlier post here about the white gene and post it in the Biology section. I will post the link here and let you all know when it is done.

If Smokey is still snowed under, then when the spring arrives for him, then we will have to call him "Steam", hehehehe

Alex, I have a great friend in Sydney and she says that you's always have problems with the water treatment plants. Wasn't there a scare not long ago about some pollutants that were getting into the pipelines or something, and they advised all to drink bottled water for a while.

My water change routine revolves around what chemical paremeters I need for my different tank setup's, but basicaly I store all my water in 75 lire bin's with lids for about a week. I add a water ager, or water conditioner, depending on wether the water will be used in a planted tank or not (water conditioner will neutralise plant fertiliser's, and trace elements in tap water). I then aerate, heat, add anything that needs to be added, such as Ph adjuster's, peat etc, and go from there.

saints27
10-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Chong
How old are you ?
I might know some other people you went to school with,
Im 31 and my sister is 22 she went to Narwee high ,
But i do know a few people that went to Kingsgrove

Jamie

nalah
10-16-2002, 10:21 PM
Jamie,know any boys from the khoury family..

saints27
10-16-2002, 10:48 PM
Pascale
No im afraid I dont

BlueTurquoise
10-17-2002, 12:56 AM
Saints, me 23. Narwee is close to Kingsgrove. I gaduated Yr12 in 1996. I wouldn't be surprised! Us Kingsgrove kids get around! lol

Hi there Pascale! I'll pop round at about 7:00ish. Jenny wants to see your fish!

Chong

BlueTurquoise
10-17-2002, 12:59 AM
Wholey smokes! this Aussie Aussie Aussie thread has reached page 10!!! what have I missed?!?! update me!

BlueTurquoise
10-17-2002, 01:20 AM
Page 11 now!

Alex

I have the entire test kit, PH, KH, GH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrites and I think that's it, Sydney water (at least Pascale and I's water, as we are from the same Prospect Resurvior distribution is straight out of the tap

PH7.3 (after 24hours of airing it's 8 )
GH of 8 degrees
KH of 2-3 degrees (about 2 after 24 hours of air)
Ammonia is 0.05 (becuase of choromine, which is ammonia bonded to chlorine so that it is more difficult to dissipate as chlorine is a gass on it's own it will dissipate very easily, correct me if I am wrong)
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0

Since KH is very low, Sydney water has very low buffering capacity and PH swings happen fast and easily. If you use stuff like Discus Buffer, very little amount changes PH drammatically.

My advice is to do nothing to PH. Store 30% tank capacity of your water after a water change at night lets say, airstone it, put in some AquaSonic Chlormon or the like, and leave it until the following night. Heat it over night or 3 hours before you do a water change. (overnight heating will make your parents (or whoever the electricity bill payers are) not very happy!) and that's it!

Your tank should be around 6.5PH after it is cycled. This is becuase of the nitrification process, it tends to lower sydney water PH to about 6.5. After doing 30% water cahnge with ph 8 water, your tank will be just under the PH7 mark. This is why 50% water change is not that good of an idea IMO as it will cause a larger swing of more than 0.5PH. When I do 100% water changes or larger than 50% changes I always keep a bottle of Seachem Discus Buffer around to lower PH so that the fish don't get a sudden ph shock (6.5 to 8 ). That's jsut what I do so you don't have to follow it. Apparently PH shock does to discus what Henry's best red fish did, permanent head standing...

Just be aware of the PH and temperature and that's all you have to worry about. Henry does nothign with his water cept age it overnight. I used to use peat to lower PH but I found that this cuased more problems that good. I think I will follow in Henry's footsteps and do the same. Although I know why Henry probably doesn't use water conditioner, his *HUGE* wet/dry filter (or mini reef) is VERY efficient at removing ammonia from the water and I think that is why he is successful without using any water conditioners... (just a thought)

Anyway, good luck Alex! ask more questions, do not be afraid to ask questions and if anyone gives you a hard time, refer em to me! >:( ;) ;D

PS. if i am wrong on anything here please let me know I am also learning too!

Cheers!
Chong

no1joey
10-17-2002, 01:24 AM
Serpae if u age ur water for a week ,how often do u change it ,and by what % ? ?

nalah
10-17-2002, 03:28 AM
Chong, you are still a baby.... ;)
btw...re:water.i agree with you.
BUT:
1. my water never goes down to 6.5 on its own. and i have peat in there. i use seachems discus buffer. 1 teaspoon is enough for my 90L drum.
on the other hand,i tried using the seachem acid buffer...ph dropped within seconds to 3.8!!!.

no1joey
10-17-2002, 03:39 AM
ill be a monkeys uncle if i have to talk about w/c one more time !!
Thanks chong ur the best ! ,but im going in nalahs footsteps and adding buffer to sydney water b4 it hits my tanks, there no fish in the drum so who cares how much it swings by, just as long as when it does swing down to 6 ,it stays there !! btw the more buffer the higher the ph.but it wont go above 6.8 ...says so on the bottle. :P

saints27
10-17-2002, 04:35 AM
Chong
Where did you live when you went to Kingsgrove?

Before I moved to Queensland 2 years ago , I managed Beverly Hills Hotel (Bennelong)

Jamie

nalah
10-17-2002, 04:48 AM
Jamie
why are u still a st george supporter??? ;D
you're like me. i live in belfield (bulldog country) but i grew up in the hills district,so i still support the eels.......
which we wont talk about :(

saints27
10-17-2002, 06:48 AM
Pascale
I am a mad fanatical St George supporter

You can take the boy out of St George ,but you cant take St George out of the boy
I never missed a game when I was in Sydney , I used to Travel everywhere to watch them (Except N.Z).

No offence Scott just a bit to far.

GO THE MIGHTY SAINTS , 2003 THE YEAR OF THE DRAGON

Serpae
10-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Hey yall! :wave:

I have 7 bins on the go for water changes, not all heated or aerated though, I only do that with the one I am using.

I do 15 to 20 o/o twice daily on the Discus tank and at least every 3rd day on the other's. Discus have taught me WC WC WC and I have carried it on to the other tanks.

At present because of the quality of our water I am now using Cardinal Tetra as tester's before adding the new water. A couple go into the bin that I will use the next day, and hope that they are still going in the morning, lol.

The way thing's are going here, I will soon have to use bottled water, lmao. RO's are out of the question cause of the fines in place on water use. Luckily I have more stored water than what our resevouir has. Shhhhhhhh ;D

By the way, Smokey how are your newies going, they realised that they have to turn around the other way and pretend they are the right way up yet! ;D

BlueTurquoise
10-17-2002, 08:37 PM
I lived in the west when I went to school in Kingsgrove. I know people working at The Keg in Beverly Hills.

Alex, up to you what you want to do but just be very careful as PH can and will fluctuate very very quickly when fooling around with PH. As Pascale said, a small amount of acid buffer dropped it to 3.8! that is dangeruously low! Which means you will need to test your water often, and that is why I chose not to do anything at all.

Just rememeber that for every 1 point drop of PH means a drop of 10 times more acidity. So a drop of 2 points of PH means 100 times more acidic! (ie PH6 is 100 times more acidic that PH8). For us it means nothing, for the discus it is very traumatic! Just tread carefully.

PH has very little to do with healthy discus IMO, the most imprtant thing above all is stability and I think stability is hard to achieve when you are altering your PH day in day out...

How are my fish Pascale? :)

Cheers!
Chong

nalah
10-17-2002, 08:59 PM
well, good news first..
I pulled towel across half way,later turned lite on and fed them breakfast....... just before leaving for work,they got morning tea...all is well........... did a quick scoop in tank to pick up poops...

but news.(for you) ;D. you may never get the back..LOL

saints27
10-17-2002, 09:32 PM
I have my reservoir tank outside which is a 600 litre rainwater tank (poly food grade liner) .
I do 25-30% water changes everyday some tanks get a 50% and this alternates,(cant do 50% on them all as i dont have the water volume capacity).
That is in 11 tanks ranging from 90 litres to 180 litres volume per tank.
I now use discus buffer to get my pH right in the reservoir tank ,I was using Hydrochloric acid but i stuffed around with my kH (for no reason) and it sent my pH from 6.5 up to 7.8,thats why at the moment im using the discus buffer to try and bring it back down slowly.
I do my water changes generally in the morning then refill the tank add buffer and heat it over night.
I fill it with tap water running through a carbon and sediment filter then the water gets circulated by an external cannister filter filled with carbon which runs continually and this is also the way I pump the water into the tanks.

By the way I got the idea for the carbon in the cannister filter from the Great Rod Lewis.

Jamie

April
10-17-2002, 10:16 PM
Yeah......ive yet to find the loose carbon for my filter....seems its easier to find over there....i called everywhere. cant find it...
ive been told it works well......but i do have a carbon block filter i run the water through.
Send me some....Rod. ;D
ive tried water treatment places... medical places... and a carbon store. LOL. hows the regular fish store carbon? lousy?

saints27
10-17-2002, 10:36 PM
April
I cant get it where I am either I have to drive to Brisbane to get it from the place rod told me about.
Maybe he can send some over in your next fish order.LOL

Jamie

h2o roads
10-18-2002, 03:18 AM
wowzers! 11 pages takes a long time to read! :o
:wave:
i'm new, and am an aussie!
i live in melbourne down to the south east outer suberbs.
havent got any discus as yet but hopefully soon. ::)we r moving soon so wen that is dun i will b able to set my tanks up again.:fish:
im 19 turning 20 (ooooo its very close! can't wait :bounce2:). have kept tropical fish since i was 6, discus for 2 of those yrs, but my most recent fish explorations were in african cichlids, shell dwellers, mbuna, etc... oh yeah and south american eartheaters (red humps, and red horseface). ;D
so yeah, look forward to learning heaps from u guys! :gossip:
:P
dave

April
10-18-2002, 07:34 AM
Thanks Jamie...yeah....maybe Rod can send me some for xmas . isnt that what bad kids get in their stockings.....a lump of coal???? ::) ??? MAYBE the customs wouldnt like it. they dont seem too like much. I'll keep looking.
Welcome Dave.

saints27
10-18-2002, 07:55 AM
April
The master told me himself that aquarium carbon isnt good enough amd water treatment places is the best.

Jamie

nalah
10-18-2002, 04:58 PM
Hi Dave...
LOL... 12 pages now..........
we aussies (and a couple of really nice canadians) really can chat... ;D
now that you are going to keep discus...tell everyone its your birthday and you want discus....and discus stuff...oh yer..and money..heaps of it :D

April
10-19-2002, 12:12 AM
Jamie. I know the boss told me long ago. i just havent managed to find it yet....got the carbon block filter..but cant find the loose stuff to run on my magnum.
well good thing Ryan and Brew have thier own server...as we may need alot of bandwidth just for this post. LOL.

BlueTurquoise
10-21-2002, 11:57 PM
Carbon is pretty good. Have you got a Britta water filter? all it is is just a carbon block. Tap water is passed over it and viola, pure drinking water... This is for sydney tap water of course.. not too sure about other states etc...

I have Wardley's Aquarium activated carbon granuals, AU$15 for a 1kg box. Works very very well... alittle too well as it reduces my PH if i use too much! (carbonic acid!)

Chong

Mattzilla
10-22-2002, 12:29 AM
hi everyone, my name's matt....
this is my first posting (but defianetly not my last) on this site. the funny thing is i don't even have discus yet! i'm planning on getting some soon but have been very busy researching them. i'm not sure what kind i want yet. anyway....ihave read a lot of your comments and they have been helpful and funny. i'll keep you updated on my discus matters.
i live in sydney/cronulla so if you live not too far away always feel free to let me know and come over for a beer or ten!

ciao, matt

saints27
10-22-2002, 12:35 AM
Welcome Matt
Good to see that youur are doing the research first.
I think that is very important .
I personally did it the other way and bought the discus first and had to learn extremely quickly.
I grew up in Hurstville all my life before moving to Queensland and I used to surf at Wanda

See you around

Jamie

Mattzilla
10-22-2002, 12:39 AM
aaaaah that's where the saints emblem came from. i grew up in hurstville most of my life....so go the saints!!! i'm a bit of a sharkies fan cause i've lived and worked in cronulla for a few years now.

nice to meet you mate.

April
10-22-2002, 12:40 AM
Welcome Matt. looks like Aussie hour has started. seems half the members on right now are aussies. :wave: :thumbsup: :fish: :drummer: :balloon:
YOur doing research will help alot. keep reading..you'll learn tons and meet alot of great people.
:wave: :thumbsup: :fish: :drummer: :balloon:

nalah
10-22-2002, 12:50 AM
:'(...... go the EELS...........
i'll leave it at that. :-[

can't even say go the doggies... :-[.they're no better this year.

not my year this year. even the french let me down in soccer......

ari_wh
10-22-2002, 02:26 AM
Go the Broncos!!! Well I am a Queenslander!!! It's good to see all the aussies posting... you can all work out how to condition that horrible Sydney water!!!

I just feel so lucky that I have probably the best water here in Brisbane. I think I am staying in Brisbane bayside forever... as long as I have discus..... lol. No conditioning required, just have to dechlorinate the water... and that's it!! The fish are so happy they are spawning like crazy :)

Welcome Matt and Dave!!!! Hope to see more of you soon :).

Pascale & Chong,
I don't think I can make it this time to Sydney :( We have lots of commitment when Scott is home and also discus babies to look after. Scott is home for good the end of November, so we might look into it again. So, no more travelling for him... hopefully for a while :). And he can look after those discus again..... lol. So, maybe next month....????? The photo below is one of the reason why we can't travel atm.

Jamie,
When are you free???? Thinking about going up and see you sometime this week. We might try to give you a call anyway....

Mattzilla
10-22-2002, 02:29 AM
hi ari
are those some of your babies??? ???
what kind are they and how old?? ???

speak to you soon ;D
matt

ari_wh
10-22-2002, 02:47 AM
Hi Matt,

Yes... they are my first batch of babies from my first pair... marlboro red and snakeskin. I think most of the babies will be marlboro though. I haven't found any babies with 14 stripes. Some has very faint stripes, but still light in colour. Some of them look very clean, and some has pepper... the story of pigeon strain.

They are only 4 weeks old. Eating like anything ;D. I have to get Rod to inspect them soon :).

April
10-22-2002, 03:20 AM
Ari. cool. they look great!!! I think me and my fishies need to move there also!!
Aris water is creating many babies these days.... ;D
How are the snake x rsg doing? speaking of babies?

Mattzilla
10-22-2002, 05:11 AM
yeah they look awesome ari...and so many!!
how many are there? is that the normal number of fry you would get? sorry about all the questions but i'm a newbie.

:crazy:

thanks
matt

taybelZ
10-22-2002, 07:22 AM
wow Ari,
i'm impressed
their bellies look nice and red from teh Brine Shrimp i'm guessing.
I haven't talk to you in ages.!
hope to chat soon.
Hope your babies go strong
;D

LaTer.
Dave

saints27
10-22-2002, 07:57 AM
Matt
Did you say that you grew up in Hurstville If so where abouts and what school did you go to?
Never worry about asking a heap of questions thats the only way to learn.

Ari Im allways home so you know Scott and yorself are always welcome (anyone else for that matter) Just give me a call ,Wednesdays are good as i dont have much on besides all my water changes
Jamie

ari_wh
10-22-2002, 10:01 PM
April,
I was going to move those rsg and ss out from the community tank to their own tank, but I was too late :(. They spawned again in the big tank on the PVC pipe... d'uh!! I think I have to wait.... they should hatch soon, and then the parents will eat the wrigglers as before... I suspects. Maybe at the end of the week, I will try to move them.
Come and move to Brissie... April!!! We would love to have you.... I am sure your fish will spawn here also :).

David,
Yes... we haven't chat in ages!!!!! What about that alencer pair?? Got any babies yet???

Matt,
I am not sure how many babies I have....lol. So hard to count. I will count them when I am moving them to a bigger tank.. I guess the number of fry will depend on the pair and also strain. I can't really answer that, cause it is my first batch of babies and my first pair also. But looking at Rod's fish, you can get bigger batch too... I think. It all depends on so many factor... I guess.

Jamie,
I am trying to get my whip cracking and get Scott motivated to do anything...lol. He is on holiday, so he is so slack at the moment!!!! All he wants to do, is laying down reading a book, which he can do when he is away.....lol. But, we will get there sometime.... I hope... ;D

Ann
10-23-2002, 12:07 AM
Hi Ari
If you are keen to keep the babies of the rsg and ss from the community tank there is a really good advice in the back to nature guide to Discus on raising babies without the parents. It involves lots of feeding and cleaning of the baby tank but at least you might get some babies from it. If you are interested I have the book and could send you a copy of the section on raising babies. Let me know and I will copy the chapter for you.

Ann

Mattzilla
10-23-2002, 07:55 AM
saints
i lived on woniora rd
went to saint raphields (spelling???) when i was a pup
then went to school at strathfield for the rest of my schooling life
i've attached a photo of myself so you all know who you are talking to. it's a pretty average photo but all i have

speak to you all soon

Mattzilla
10-23-2002, 07:56 AM
oh i forgot to tell you...i'm the bloke on the right
the other two guys are are a couple of work mates.

ciao :crazy:

Mattzilla
10-24-2002, 07:50 PM
hi everyone, there is an australian discuss association meeting this sat night at parramatta. i have never been to one before but was wondering if anyone had been. it's in sydney so i'm not sure how many of you live in sydney.

if you are going or have gone can you please let me know thanks

matt :crazy:

Rod
10-25-2002, 07:56 AM
Hi Matt and dave,

welcome guys to simply discus, good to see more aussies about 8)

Rod

nalah
10-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Hi Matt
not going this time - other commitments. But if you decide to go,Henry will be there. introduce yourself and let him know i told you about him.

Serpae
10-26-2002, 02:09 AM
Hiya All :wave:

Does anybody have any "Christmas Moss" in their tank's, or know where I may be able to lay my hands on some ::)

Thanks ;D

saints27
10-26-2002, 05:39 AM
Serpae
Ask Santa he will be here in 9 weeks. LOL

Jamie

Sorry I couldnt resist

Serpae
10-26-2002, 07:06 AM
HO HO HO, I just HMAO ;D

If chrissy is only nine weeks away, then :santa: had better be leaving some "Christmas moss" wrapped in an 8 foot tank for me. :bounce: :bounce2:

Rod Coleman
10-26-2002, 09:52 AM
Hi Guys

I'm near Bendigo in central Victoria.

Anyone else 'round here?

Regards

Rod Coleman

Serpae
10-26-2002, 05:10 PM
Hiya Rod, welcome :wave:

I think taybelZ (Dave) is around your area, not sure though.

Ooohhhh DAVE, you there! ;D

Mattzilla
10-27-2002, 03:01 AM
hi everyone
i went to an australian discuss association meeting last night at parramatta for the first time and was able to meet some good breeders. some good information too

pascale.... i found out who henry was but was too chicken :scared: to introduce myself to him. oh well... i have his number and will definately call him when i want to buy some discus. i was told be a few people that he was the man to buy discus from.

i'm going to clear out my tank this week and get it ready for some discus

speak to you all later matt :crazy:

Rod
10-27-2002, 04:02 AM
Hi Rod,

welcome to simply discus. Hey thats 2 beautiful discus you posted, very nice:)

Rod

ari_wh
10-28-2002, 10:22 PM
Hi Rod.... welcome!!!! ;D
Now... it is going to be confusing.... 2 aussie rod....lol.
David is in Geloong... Rod, not that far from Bendigo... but far enough ;). Other than that... there are a few from Melbourne.... I think Tony and Lee (??). Anyone else I miss???

Matt,
Go for it ;D ;D. Although, I have to warn you.... that it is impossible to stop at a few discus.... You always want more and more and more....lol. You have been warned....

Ann,
I moved the pair already to their own tank 4 days ago... and now.. they have eggs ;D ;D. I am not going to attempt to raise discus artificially.... far too hard for me.... lol. So, I am going to let the parents do their job... which are great atm... as both of them tending eggs... Thanks for the offer, though... BTW, got more discus lately??? and that big tank, have you got it yet?

Jamie,
Thanks for the hospitality and the beer :). We got caught at the sandstorm on the way home, but everything is ok... Just a bit windy and our little car was blown right left and centre....lol. We will definitely have to do that again......!! BTW, how are the eggs???

BlueTurquoise
10-28-2002, 10:37 PM
Hey Ari,

Just quickly, you know those blues that Pascale got from Henry?

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

THEY ARE THE BEST BABY DISCUS I HAVE EVER SEEN! I am still not over it up to now! the blues that she has, in particular this one juvenile from Henry are perfect shape! Championship standard honest! very very round fish with semi-circular face, good finnage and totally disc shaped body. 9 out of 10 in my books. He is unbelievable...

ps. congrats wth your babies! they look so cute! You'll have to bring some down for me when you come down! ;D

Chong

ari_wh
10-28-2002, 11:08 PM
Well... Chong,

What are you waiting for????? Go and get some for yourself.......lol. I am coming down soon...... have to see them too :).

The babies still too small Chong.... If you want them, you are welcome to have some... as I have 125 of them....lol. I don't know how good they will turn out though.. doing my best.. but my first batch so.... not enough experience :(. So.. have to wait and see.....

saints27
10-28-2002, 11:08 PM
Ari those eggs got eaten,they spawned again on sunday nite and they just ate them today,The Golden PB's spawned last nite and ate them this afternoon

Jamie

BlueTurquoise
10-29-2002, 03:24 AM
Wow babies everywhere!!!

As soon as I get room and time I will be over to Henry's to buy some. In fact he reckons he can get some awesome red alenquer (sp?) from a friend in melbourne. I'm in for those!

That's ok Ari, your first batch is precious! you don't have to give me any at all, I was just mucking around. Let us know when you are thinking of comign down ok? Next year is going to be a big discus year for me! lol

Also my pair are spawning too! but they are unsucessful as yet. I will have some pics very soon though.

PS. I am only a few msgs away from "Discus Enthusiast" status lol! WOOOHOO!
Chong

nalah
10-29-2002, 03:49 AM
AH! excuse me.... as soon as you have room,you'll be here picking up your boys........... not buying fish.LOL

btw.. i still reckon you have 2 girls there.,, sorry.just my opinion....
try to watch them next time.... after spawning,eggs turn dark. if none at all turn dark....there's a little girl playing tricks on you.

BlueTurquoise
10-29-2002, 09:56 AM
Really? they both turn dark... esp the "male". He turns really dark. I saw the "male" try to fertilize the eggs after they were laid (or at least I think that is what he was doing). Anyway no time to worry now, I will just put her in with new fish that I purchase next year and see what we get eh?

Chong

nalah
10-29-2002, 03:08 PM
LOL............. you are stressed aren't you... ;) i'm talking about EGGS turning dark. i know parents go dark! ;D

Mattzilla
10-29-2002, 06:47 PM
hey do any of your guys know anyone who sells cheap bristle nose in sydney??

thanks

matt

BlueTurquoise
10-29-2002, 06:52 PM
Yeah Monaco Aquariums Canley Vale for *cheap* fish... poor conditions but cheap!

Oh yes the eggs turn white after a few days... Maybe they are both females... hmmm ::) :P

Chong

nalah
10-29-2002, 08:08 PM
Matt,
my bristles only had a small amount of babies ..their first time.... but if you want to wait... next time they spawn,i'll give you some....
i have maybe 6 at the moment..they are really slow growers.... if all goes well,when they get bigger,you're welcome to a couple of them.

Rod Coleman
10-29-2002, 10:18 PM
Hi Chong

Any chance you could find out who has the Alanquers in Melb?

I have a few already and would like to look at a couple more.

Alternatively, how can I contact Henry?

Regards

Rod

taybelZ
10-29-2002, 10:26 PM
wow!
we have quite a few Aussies on the board now.

Hello to the new members Rod and Matt.

Serpae ya right in saying i'm from Geelong ;)

I'm about 1 hour away from Ballarat and 1 hour from Melbourne.

stuck in teh middle.. sorta ;D

April
10-29-2002, 11:29 PM
hi 'other Rod. like your pic you just posted.
the "Other Rod...has nice alencers...but their not breeding right now. and he has a list of people pacing....waiting for them. perhaps he will post a pic.
i have the manacapura x alencers...of his .and they are my favourtie fish.
heres a pic.
ok...so im not an aussie....but. im an aussie fish mom...

Rod Coleman
10-30-2002, 12:41 AM
Hi April

Way to go - you can be an Aussie any time you like :-*

Your Manacap X Al looks great. Its got the intensity of body colour and the dark fin margins that mine lack. I'd like to get some like that. A real wild look. Mine really glow when the lights go off -the striations really come to life. The pair pictured have played around a lot without producing any eggs that I've seen. The've got active again lately so I'm hoping...

Regards

Rod

nalah
10-30-2002, 02:17 AM
April,
you are an honorary aussie....
you probably have more aussie fishies than we do..most of ours are probably imports...LOL

April
10-30-2002, 02:42 AM
;D 8) ::) :fish:
if i have my way....i'll have them all. LOL. :P

Rod Coleman
10-30-2002, 07:02 AM
Just remember April, if you're going to be an aussie you'll have to be a mum not a mom! ;D ;D ;D

Rod

Coetz
10-30-2002, 07:35 AM
And u might also want to start talking the talk, http://thisthat.tripod.com/slang.html#a
have fun wit this one. ;D :P

Coetz**

Serpae
10-30-2002, 08:04 AM
Our ole' April is pretty well up todate with the Aussie lingo. Hey April, lol. ;D

April
10-30-2002, 09:50 AM
Yeppers i am. ive got the book. :))))))) needed it to decipher.
I was already given a whole exam on this forum by Bass. i passed with flying colours. but..i did cheat on one....i yelled for help. LOL.

Coetz
10-30-2002, 10:15 AM
Well I don't think anyone can memorise that whole web page that I posted before, it's to weird, hey and I am an aussie and I didn't even know what half those words where ??? All I can tell you is those words where around about 50 years ago and they almost made it into a language out in the country of WA, I know a couple of old fellers that still know how to talk with all those weird words, these days it's the youth that make the language, and you can put me down for one of those ;D

Coetz**

Coetz
10-30-2002, 10:17 AM
Oh and in the famous words of Ali G......... RESPECT

Coetz**

Rod
10-30-2002, 11:49 AM
No foolin April with our aussie lingo, she's got that down pat ;D

Here's my alenquers, this photo is when they were about 8months old. I've breed this strain for a few generations now. Sometimes i like to use this type to cross with other types, the X with manacaparu f1 was very successful and produced some great discus like Aprils.

Rod
10-30-2002, 11:52 AM
This is the mother to that alenquer group, i get a few females that show this heightened 5th bar. Unfortunetly that trait is very hard to breed into the type.

nalah
10-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Hey Rod,
whats this........." where men thunder.."
oh please....LOL

Mattzilla
10-30-2002, 10:58 PM
can anyone tell me if bristle nose cats are good tank mates and cleaners for discus. is there another cleaning type fish that is more suited to discus? do they share the same water conditions???

thanks guys

matt

April
10-30-2002, 11:46 PM
o.k. i will be a "mum" for my discus...but...i will NOT be wrapped in bandages and stuck in a pyramid.!!!!!!!
as i am not a mummy. LOL
hence...the spelling mommy. its safer!!!!!!

ari_wh
10-31-2002, 12:26 AM
bandages???? pyramid???? Do I miss something here??? oh... now I get it... sorry a bit slow nowadays....

Been away.... and miss everything... as I have been told....lol.

Matt,
Go with bristlenose... they are great!! Have 2 in each tank here!! And never have any problem.

nalah
10-31-2002, 06:32 AM
a new supplier.
i have found a new supplier and his prices are good.
I have told Ben about simply,so he should join us soon.
his new website.is coming soon
www.aquariumproducts.com.au
business name: Age of Aquariums...
cool name.
200w heater - 25.00 - 300w 28.00

Rod Coleman
10-31-2002, 08:52 AM
Hi Rod

Are you still breeding with the Manacaparu? The Alanquer cross looks great.

Regards Rod

saints27
10-31-2002, 08:59 AM
Pascale have you tried http://www.aquaria.com.au
they are in WA and I have found them to be the cheapest so far(in Australia that is) free delivery as well for orders over $55 (doesnt take much to do that).I get all my Seachem products from them.
Jamie

Rod
10-31-2002, 04:49 PM
Hi Pascale,

Well i didn't actually pen those words, they are lyrics from that great aussie band ,men at work. I though they were very appropriate for an international forum!!! lol

Hi Rod,

I still have the manacaparu i used to breed with the alenquer. he is getting rather old now and not so easy to breed:( . Currently i am attempting to backcross a female from that cross with the alenquers. No luck yet but still hopeing.

Rod

nalah
10-31-2002, 05:00 PM
they are too... D'oh...LOL
but hey,i'm excused... i was an Oils fan myself....

Rod Coleman
11-01-2002, 01:21 AM
Crikey, April knock it off!

You're rubbin' it in like goanna oil! ;D ;D LOL

Import regulations into Australia are very tight with strict quarantine requirements as far as I know. Good idea though.. keep working on it.

Rod

April
11-01-2002, 01:45 AM
i know. heard all about it.
but thats good...as a one way street. they can leave..and no-one can get them away from me. safe and sound in canada. kinda like the relocation and protective witness program....new country...and new names.so they cant be found.. ;D

April
11-01-2002, 08:29 PM
Guess who has eggs....little itty bitty mana x alencer eggs???? ;D :fish: :fish: :thumbsup:
ok so their young...but they are trying...

JC
11-02-2002, 11:59 AM
Hi guys & gals,

just wondering if any1 else has purchased any discus from "not just fish" in Rockdale/Sydney? :-\

nalah
11-02-2002, 05:50 PM
never .... email me or IM.

saints27
11-03-2002, 02:01 AM
JC are you from around that area are you ?

Jamie

Rod Coleman
11-03-2002, 09:59 AM
Great news April. :D

Keep us posted.

Rod

Mattzilla
11-03-2002, 06:36 PM
hi everyone

i'm thinking of getting a blue or black background painted in the back of my tank. what do you duys think? have any of you done it then regreted it later? i know this sounds pretty trivial :inquisitive: but i have a few friends that say i should and some say i shouldn't.

i think i'm going to go for a black background....

anyway....your thoughts would be appreciated

thanks

matt :crazy:

ari_wh
11-03-2002, 09:04 PM
Matt,

I love blue blackground myself. I did not paint mine though, I just use those plastic background, but I know some people that painted their tanks light blue colour and they look good. I just don't like the permanent factor in painting my tanks, just in case I change my mind.. which is very often....lol.

Be careful about black background. I find that if you keep pigeon, it will make the peppering, if any, look more obvious. The blue seemed to make them disappear to some degree. I have tried this myself and it will work although, not all will disappear. But, the black will look great on classic strain like turq, brown, etc, IMO.

Mattzilla
11-04-2002, 01:50 AM
thanks ari

i bought some black high gloss acrylin paint today and got some tips from my lfs on how to paint it. i'm going to do it tomorrow....i hope i dont stuff it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway i'll let you know how i go

matt

saints27
11-04-2002, 08:18 AM
Matt
You are painting the outside of the tank arent you ?
Paint it somewhere away from fish as well
Jamie

Mattzilla
11-04-2002, 06:09 PM
yeah i'm painting the outside ofcourse!!!! i have just emptied my tank and am about to clean it and all the gear and paint the back outside.

i have seen some tanks that have pot plants inside them. where can i get some of those pot plants for aquariums??

cheers
matt ;D ;D

nalah
11-04-2002, 06:37 PM
pot plants do look great,but be warned..its extra work. when you do wc,dont forget you'll have to clean out the pots...all the poop etc,that all goes into them.

Mattzilla
11-04-2002, 06:56 PM
thanks
where do i get them??
do i buy the plant and pot together or seperate??
what kind of price am i looking at??

thanks for your help everyone

matt ;D

saints27
11-04-2002, 07:41 PM
Matt
With regards to the pots ,If you are going to use terracota pots soak them in a bucket of tank water for a week first.
They will soften your water.
As for buying them I only use pots as breeding cones so I just buy them from a nursery for $1 ,gice them a good clean then soak them .Someone else might be able to help you with the plant side of things as I only have bare bottom tanks.

Jamie

Mattzilla
11-04-2002, 08:11 PM
thanks mate

i am going to have a bb tank as well. my brother inlaw has some pot plants in his tank so i'll ask him if he knows where to get them.

i get soooooo many tips from this forum!!!!!! it's great!!

matt ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

11-05-2002, 09:25 AM
So this is where all the Aussie's have been hiding!.....

April, your holding out on me. ;)

Guess I better get reading.
hmmmm, a beer and a "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie" novel. (17 pages? make that a 6 pack) Sounds like I have a relaxing evening ahead.

Julz

nalah
11-05-2002, 03:53 PM
Hi Julz
welcome to the aussie forum as April calls it. ;D

relaxing evening - i think not....
WC WC WC...
April taught me that...we all do wc at nite...LOL

feel free to visit anytime.but be warned.you will be tested on the aussie slang at a later stage.

11-05-2002, 04:43 PM
Found it Pascale..
Shoot, a lot of your slang is close to our own. Give me a few days to study.. er... weeks... :)
Oh... and our evenings are your mornings..... Close to it anyway.
And... I've tried to challenge Ryan to W/C race on chat, but he won't bite.... Any takers? :P

Julz

nalah
11-05-2002, 05:04 PM
how many litres of water we talking here? :bounce2:

have to give me a few days to heal though. i had a bad fall on sunday..slipped on water. no,not fish..the birds were having a bath. i am in pain from neck to waist... ouch!!

but after that..you're on.