DavidH
08-22-2002, 11:20 AM
Any addicts in NC, I'm in Fayetteville.
My e-mail is tmsdh@aol.com

Dave

Pat_in_NC
08-24-2002, 01:21 PM
Hey David,

I'm in Chapel Hill and I know of at least three more members who are in NC: Walter(Whater), Brad (BradNC) and Peter (Phog) How about it you three? Any others?

Pat

08-26-2002, 07:04 PM
hey, I'm in charlotte.
Tim w/ US Discus is in Monroe, but i don't think he's on the board

Brad

chavez720
12-10-2002, 05:50 PM
Ok maybe a bit late but in Charlotte, NC.

RKeiger
12-10-2002, 07:42 PM
I'm in southern North Carolina. Its so far south that they named it South Carolina. Down by da ocean just outside Charleston.

ChloroPhil
12-11-2002, 01:15 PM
I'm in Charlotte..

biotypical@hotmail.com

clayton
12-30-2002, 11:21 PM
hey guys im just south of raleigh.....benson nc

12-30-2002, 11:52 PM
Clayton, you talked to Pat? Ya'll could get together. He's in Chapel Hill

Wahter
12-31-2002, 12:24 AM
Just a quick note that the Raleigh, NC RAS club is having their annual workshop and auction soon (weekend of Feb 21-23rd, 2003). Last year, there were plenty of discus! (Of course no guarantees this year!). I can guarantee there will be a nice selection of plants because I'm bringing a bunch! ;D ;D ;D

For more details:

http://www.fishclubs.com/nc/ras/

Walter

01-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Hey Walter,
Can anyone bring fish and stuff up there for the auction? Are there good deals on tanks, equipment, etc.? Could I come check out your setup if i came up there for it (I live in Charlotte)?

Brad

ChloroPhil
01-14-2003, 03:16 PM
Brad,

A couple of us from Charlotte are going to be heading up there for the meeting. Want a lift?

fishfarm
01-23-2003, 10:35 AM
HI, There will be plenty of discus, I'll bring at least 50 for the auction, If anyone wants specific fish just let me know. I won't bring any of the high dollar stuff unless it is special ordered, but pigeon, turks, cobalts, snakes, ect I plan to bring. http://fishfarm.home.mindspring.com Ken

dippyduck
02-11-2003, 09:00 PM
I've just started into this wonderful addiction of discus. I live in Richmond, VA and was wondering is it worth the trip to see the show?

fishfarm
02-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes! You can't miss it now that I have been added to the speaker list ;) Ken

Wahter
02-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Yes, here are the details:

http://www.geocities.com/raleighaquariumsociety/

See you there!

Walter

DRRACING
02-16-2003, 05:12 PM
I am in Charlotte.....

love to talk to you guys near me....

Bob

dippyduck
02-17-2003, 05:41 PM
Do you have to register in advance or can I just show up? I'm very interested in purchasing some discus. What do you recommend I bring (besides money) to transport them? When will the discus be sold Sat or Sun? :D

Wahter
02-20-2003, 03:29 PM
Hi Dippy,

The auction will be on Sunday. The details can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/raleighaquariumsociety/

No fee nor registration is necessary if you want to buy; just show up with your money! ;D Bring a styrofoam cooler if you want.

See you on Sunday! I'll be bringing a LOT of aquarium plants to sell.

BS
02-24-2003, 09:28 PM
Hi Carolinians - I just discovered this thread and wanted to add to it. I live in the "Bull City" [Durham] now for the last year and a half. Lived in this area before [Raleigh] as a child, moved to South Carolina [Greenville] for about 18 years and now I'm back. It's great to see so many folks here are keeping discus, I never thought this would be a place to find any fellow addicts. I have kept them for several years with a bit of success in breeding. In fact, the two I have left are from a spawn of Super Red Turks I bought from a Doctor from Tuscaloosa Alabama. They were 2.5" and $16 a piece. After growing them out a few pairs developed, so I placed them in a 29g to breed. They did and I let the parents raise them.

Anyway enough of my rambling. I'm glad to have found this forum because it seems like everyone is just as addicted and more than willing to help others with their issues.

Take Care
Bob Stallings
rstallings4@nc.rr.com ;D

Jasonek9NC
03-25-2003, 06:16 PM
Hi, i am new to this form. My name is Jason and i live in Northern Charlotte. Nice to meet you guys. and i am 21yrs old.
Luck me, about 60-70 babies born last night ;D

Shelomi
04-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Hi guys, I'm in Plymouth NC (don't worry not even the locals know where it is) sort of east coast middle of state on US64 on way to Nags Head area. Are there any good discus for sale in the area of Raliegh? I have 1 local source but most die of diseases even while in the store. Appreciate any info! Thanks! btw this is my first post please forgive any errors.

ChloroPhil
04-09-2003, 12:38 AM
Anyone in the area of Charlotte, or those interested in being a long distance part of the Charlotte Area Aquarium Society please stop by www.aquacharlotte.com We'd love to have you along for the ride/swim!

jrpatter
04-24-2003, 11:19 PM
Wow, i live by lillington. who knew there were so many discus keepers in NC, esp since there isnt a shop that sells any decent discus. I have a little over 30 discus all kinds and a few pairs that like to spit out some fry every now and then :)

John

sgt95b
05-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi all, I'm Carl. I live in Timberlake. It's about five minutes north of Durham. I've been keeping discus for about two years now. I Currently don't have any fry but have a pair of wild greens trying to get it right. I also am growing out some PB's, red turqs, and a solid cobalt.

John, Have you tried Triangle Tropical in Durham? They have finally got there discus section up and running since she moved and they've gotten some really nice stock in. Plus their prices are better than Fish Pros in Raleigh.HTH

busylady5252
05-26-2003, 10:54 PM
Hi fellow North Carolinians and discus enthusiasts....:wave:

Your are right! It is good to know there are so many discus lovers around.
I live in Elkin... Any one ever heard of that one? As far as I know there are not any sellers near..... Cary Strong and Jack Whatley are highly recommended even though they are long way away!!!! Definately not in NC.
I have 4 3"Discus in a 55 tank.... and am looking for more..
I have a planted tank that is flourishing..
Though I have just notice a little hair algae growing off one of my plants.....

Busylady

jrpatter
05-27-2003, 07:27 AM
cough, elkin is off of 77 about due north of charlotte maybe 2 hours :) And rumor has it someone has a Whatley (6") that they would be willing to part with if the price is right :)

the gentleman who has it isnt a simply member, but i do know he checks these forums from time to time.

as far as other people to get fish from, there is tim at usdiscus.com, he will let you come and visit and hand pick your fish. he is a little SE of charlotte. and then in durham is triangle tropical. They pretty much only get discus from local breeders so that can be another place to get some. But i always say go and pick your fish out in person. I have never been disappointed when i pick a fish out by hand. I cant say the same when i have ordered fish.

john

john

busylady5252
05-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Your have heard of Elkin! :drummer: Have him contact me about the discus, I may be interested....

I will check those out. I have 4 discus and have never chosen one in person... only over the net... I have been disapointed over a couple of those too.

Thanks for the info
Dottie

April
05-27-2003, 05:36 PM
im not from N c. but i do know theres a member there that have some extremely nice fry for sale. unless hes been cleaned out. so id check in with him.
Pat_in_NC .
right Pat? wont get better cared for fry!!!
if i was closer id grab some for sure!!!
he has an ad in the buy and sell section.

jrpatter
05-27-2003, 05:53 PM
sorry april all his fry have flown the coop, as well as a couple of his adults **cough** though in about 6 mos the fish will be reavaible. that is after a liitle feeding experiment i am running em through :) i figure they will be about 6 inches at that time. hmmm but maybe that will be a good time to start a little breeding test :)

john

April
05-27-2003, 06:32 PM
ok then mr. patter. keep us updated on pats babies then.
Pat you will have to make some more. you have people in your neck of the woods waiting for them all!!

busylady5252
05-27-2003, 09:55 PM
yes pat , keep me posted , I would be interested.. What type of discus do you have???

busylady5252
05-27-2003, 10:02 PM
I have had a bit of trouble with speckling on some of my pigeon bloods. They have good color red but that black speckling I do not like....

I have been looking at butterly or a white dragon, but am told that they have PB and that is the cause of speckling. I lightened my substrate and will put a lighter background on the tank and see if that helps. the lighter substrate helped some.. dont know if they will ever lose it completely or if that is just a trait.... time will tell.

Dottie

April
05-27-2003, 11:21 PM
Dottie substrate of any type will cause peppering.as the water is not as clean. so more pepper.
but yes..if substrate youd be better with barred fish.
pat has pics in photo gallery of his fry.
Pat put down that tassie tiger for now and make more fry. : ))
if you get a snowflake it wont pepper as its from a brown. all white with a white eye. but they do grow slower. nice fish though.

Pat_in_NC
05-28-2003, 06:26 PM
Sorry didn't see this post until now. Yes John cleaned me out of all the CobaltxRT fry that I posted on (I saved two for myself). I do have another small batch coming along but from different parents a red royal green x blue snake skin. The parents are two of my nicest fish so I have high hopes for the babies (half of which are 9 barred and half 14 barred). The babies are doing well--I'm just hoping they survive a week of my wife doing the wc's while I'm overseas lecturing on the tasmanian tiger cloning (not really).
Dottie I'll let you know when they are ready for sale.

Pat

P.S. John--the fish you posted is a Marlboro--from Mike Wells. The other is a tangerine from Cary Strong. Their coloring is very similar but the Marlboro has more pepper.