PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Feeding

RAWesolowski
09-10-2002, 02:22 AM
I will be taking an extended week of vacation, say 8 or 9 days. During that period, no one will be available to look after the fish.

My plan would be to:
1. 100% water changes for the 3 days prior to vacation
2. 100% water changes for the three days after vacation
3. Fatten the fish with frequent live food feedings in the month prior to vacation
4. Add an automatic feeder
5. Leave tank lights

I have a 36 gallon planted tank. Anyone have suggestions as to my plan? How about recommendations for an automatic feeder.

Carol_Roberts
09-10-2002, 12:41 PM
How old are your fish and how many are in the 36 gallon planted tank?

If a couple of adults or nearly adults your plan will work fine with a small feeding of dry food every other day.

Carol :heart1:

09-10-2002, 03:56 PM
Raw,
I went on vacation over the 4th of July, leaving my fish for a little over a week.
Before I left I did 75% W/C's for 4 days straight, & gave the tank walls and filters a good scrubbin. While I was gone I had the lights on a timer, and used eheim feeders (with 4 varieties of flake food, tetra bits, and freeze dried plankton) set for 2 times a day. When I returned they all looked great. Infact my breeding pair spawned for the 1st time while I was gone. I was lucky to have a neighbor volunteer (at the last minute) for a once a day frozen bw feeding.

Wish I would have been able to fatten them up with cbw. Didn't use them then.

Julz

RAWesolowski
09-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Carol,

Four fish are in the 3"-4" size range. Biggest problem will be the new guys in the quarantine tank. They should come out of the lock-up at the same time to have 7 fish of the same size. I know it would be overcrowding but I was thinking to mix the groups in one tank while on vacation. They should be easy to separate when I do the water changes after vacation.

Julz,

Your experience is comforting. After I read my original post, I was afraid that I gave he impression that I don't normally do water changes...

Now, where is a good place to find Eheim feeders? Website or LFS? Been cruising the LFS and haven't seen any!

Carol_Roberts
09-10-2002, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't put seven 3 - 4 inch discus in a 33 gallon planted tank with no water changes for 8 or 9 days. The four that are in there are pushing it.

How big is the (bare bottom?) Q tank with the three other discus?

Besides they will have to work out pecking order and some may be harassed or injured. Best to leave them where they are until you return.

You can find feeders in online catalogs.

Carol :heart1:

09-11-2002, 01:45 AM
Raw...

I definitely 2nd what Carol said. The less fish per gallon while gone the better.

As far as the eheims... I believe the cheapest was www.thatpetplace.com
or try eheim on google.....

Julz

RAWesolowski
12-06-2002, 03:27 PM
Just a quick report after being gone for 10 days on vacation.

No fatalities, nomibnal algae growth! Water was a bit tannic due to driftwood and I hit the tank with a 50% water change.

My plan was modified to:
1. 50% water changes for the 3 days prior to vacation
2. 50% water changes for the 2days after vacation
3. Fatten the fish with frequent live food feedings in the month prior to vacation
4. Add an automatic feeder with a light feeding of flakes and tetra bits once per day
5. Tank lights on timer for 8 hours per day

12-06-2002, 04:43 PM
Glad to hear all went well, Bob. What brand of feeder did you go with?
I bet next time you will probably relax a bit easier. :) I sure did...

Julz :)

RAWesolowski
12-09-2002, 09:23 AM
Julz,

I picked up an Eheim. Loved the unit! I played with it for a month prior to vacation. Varying the feeding from 3 times per day and finally decided on once a day, primarily for the dither fish - gold tetras.

A side benefit to the vacation was the change in fish personality. Prior to vacation, they had been reclusive and skittish. I had begun to feed them cbw by hand. Since I have returned, they act more like angel fish. They get excited when I enter my office and go so far as to butt the aquarium to get my attention and to get food.

My Pavlovian reaction is to feed them. I guess that I train easily!

12-09-2002, 11:11 AM
Yes I too would say you train easily. :P I honestlty think all us Discus "Nuts" do, in that aspect anyway... :)

Good to hear the Eheim is working for you as well. I am on number 4 now. (or did I mention that already?) I like the fact that they are getting fed while I am at work, and another benny is my fishies associate me with CBW's only. ;D

Julz :)