09-21-2002, 08:38 PM
Hello,

My planted discus tank is starting to get over-run with that
dreaded green slimey algae. The kind that covers everything
in a thin coat.

Now I change almost 50% of the water a day, and have "tried"
to pull it all out, but I am getting frustrated. I have read various
things to get rid of it, turn lights off /turn lights on, etc. Does anyone
know what causes it and how to get rid of it ??

thanks
jim

Denny
09-21-2002, 11:44 PM
there is a post a little lower with a lot of wisdom. i think i am finally getting mine under control

denny

09-21-2002, 11:53 PM
jim, do a search for cyano bacteria. eurythromyacin is said to be a good cure, with no obvious side effects. it can be a pain!

rick

Wahter
09-22-2002, 11:32 AM
If it's the blue green algea that looks like a "sheet", there are several articles on the krib about it:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/cyanobacteria.html

Walter

Rikk
09-26-2002, 05:34 PM
How long are your lights in ?
Is the aquarium in sunlight ?
If yes how long a day ?

Lot of things can be the couse
Try playibg with the time the lights are on

SoloDiscus
11-21-2002, 04:08 PM
I just got done battling my cyano and man was it tough. I tried hitting it with EM but I think it actually built up a resistence to it. I finally killed mine off with Dick Boyd's Chemi clean and didnt look like it did any damage to my plants. Best of luck.

Don_Lee
11-22-2002, 03:30 PM
Pooljap,

The more information we have, the better we can help. If you could, give us your water parameters, fert. schedule, substrate type, lighting on/off schedule.

Don ;D

Ivan
11-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Hi all, that stuff is a right ugly sucker!
I finally got rid of it after reading an article in a fish mag over here. Basically the author said to squeeze out a mature filter sponge into the affected tank. It worked for me. My initial reaction to this advice was, why do I need to do that? This tank is cycled and has been for over a year! Still I was at the point to try anything apart from dynamite :o.
I have also been advised this. when setting up a new planted tank squeeze out a mature sponge onto the bottom of the tank before you put in the gravel. Turns out the bacteria help the plants to gain food quicker, and so establishing themselves faster in their new home.
Ivan

Ralph
11-22-2002, 05:57 PM
The second suggestion makes sense but the first one, I don't understand. Hard to argue with success though.

Here is a web site that talks about the various algae, what causes them, and some recommendations on how to treat them without using algacides.

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/algae.htm

pooljap
11-22-2002, 09:11 PM
Funny (well maybe not that funny) that got new response to this question today as my slimy algae has come back. I treated the tank with maracyn and seemed to work very well. Recently added a couple of new fish in tank and think that might be cause of problem.

I have ph 7 and leave lights on 10 hrs a day (150 watt) on
55 gallon. Tank is heavily planted, co2 injection of about 3
bubbles per second, and add no additional ferlitizer.

Ivan
11-23-2002, 05:03 PM
Ralph, I didn't understand either. All I know is it worked, it went and hasn't come back after I tried it. It could have been that or something else changed that I am not aware of.
Ivan

Ralph
11-23-2002, 05:15 PM
The only thing that I can think of is that the increased bacterial action somehow reduced the amount of an algae nutrient, or maybe it changed it into a form that the algae couldn't use, or maybe.....
It's frustrating trying to nail down cause and effect in an aquarium, there is just too much going on.
Should the need arise though, I'm sure going to try it.

Ivan
11-24-2002, 11:18 AM
Well I'm glad I have provoked a thought to have a go. I agree that there is so much going on in our tanks that we cant see or test for.
Ivan

Wahter
11-24-2002, 12:14 PM
Ivan's suggestion about using the mature filter media's bacteria is what Amano recommended at the AGA meeting in Chattanooga, TN last year when someone asked him how to deal with this stuff.

Walter

ChloroPhil
11-25-2002, 02:05 PM
Pooljap,

What are your NO3/PO4/CO2 levels? How much light are you using (watts/g)?

Check out Tom Barr's recommended nutrient levels at www.sfbaaps.com He's written some very helpful articles.

Ralph
11-25-2002, 10:30 PM
The more I read about algae, the more it seems that many algae problems are caused by phosphates. I just ignored it before, I don't even have a test kit for it (yet). I just assumed the plants got enough of it from fish wastes and I didn't need to worry about it. Not only does it come from the fish but many cities are adding it to their water now. Apparently, phosphates in the water lessen the amount of lead leached by the water from old pipes. It's not the only cause but it's more common than I realized.

ChloroPhil
11-30-2002, 10:04 PM
Chances are really good that your plants are getting more than enough phosphate. Try upping your CO2 and NO3 to use up more of the PO4.

pooljap
12-01-2002, 11:36 PM
Gave the sponge squeeze method to try and get rid of the slimey
algae. Anyone know how long this takes to work as I see no
difference right now.

thanks

Jim

Ivan
12-02-2002, 10:59 AM
no idea, depends on how much beneficial bacteria there was in the sponge and how much algea there is I suppose. If it dont work for you you could always try Melafix.

ChloroPhil
12-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Why add a chemical "fix" that will only change things in the short term? Get some more algae eaters, SAEs, Ottos, or Bristlenose plecos. OR, you can try to remedy the cause and get your nutrients in balance. Check out my sticky thread on nutrients and algae for a start.

Ivan
12-06-2002, 11:24 AM
IME algea eaters stay away from Slimy algea as it is a bacteria. Cyanobacteria. Melafix is a natural anti bacterial remedy that can help to neutralize cyanobacteria. I suggested to use this as a last resort, if the method of squeezing out a mature filter sponge into the contaminated aquarium fails, I do not advocate the use of chemicals for every ailment in an aquarium ever. Only in a final resort!
Also another cause came to mind as to the cause of the "slimey algea" Cyanobacteria, is a compacted bottom. I dont use a gravel cleaner, rather turn over the sand gravel substrate manualy then let it settle, then syphon off the debris laying on the bottom material. Which needs changing in my tank!! OH JOY!! :'(