PDA

View Full Version : Red Melons

TheDiscusKid
09-22-2002, 10:28 PM
These are mynew red melons, what do you guys think.

stimpy15
09-22-2002, 10:31 PM
i mean NO offence, but is it my eyes or does ur fish look really dark in that photo?

09-22-2002, 10:33 PM
who the hell sold you that?

TheDiscusKid
09-22-2002, 10:34 PM
Please honest opinions. Don't hold back

Ryan
09-22-2002, 10:35 PM
I'm sorry, Bruce :-\ These are not quality discus IMO. The color is dark, the head is rather pointy. Over all they don't look so healthy. Don't wanna sound too harsh...

Ryan

Tyler
Honestly Bruce, i think you got cheated out. It ain't a red melon or even a healthy fish. Who sold you that?

Tyler

April
Bruce...dont want to hurt your feelings...as i know you were excited...but it has bars.....and its not smiling. not sure its that healthy?
who did you buy it from?

09-22-2002, 10:45 PM
Sorry Bruce'
THATS NO! MELON were did you by these from here is a pic of small melons without color at 1.5" also that discus looks very sick!

09-22-2002, 10:48 PM
Sorry for the cull pic from me see the bad eye not round

just cought that with the pic LOL!!!!!
Cary Gld!

stimpy15
09-22-2002, 10:51 PM
cary since ur here, how long would a red melon such as urs take to colour up completely?

i notice sometimes on pics there are "reds" that have "patches" of red, do they usually extend to cover the entire body?

back to the thread, don't worry bruce , everyone has been taken advantage of....act fast and u can still save it.

TheDiscusKid
09-22-2002, 10:52 PM
I got these from a guy named Darren. from what i am hearing , i'm very disappointed now. he told me these were melons imported from wayne.

April
09-22-2002, 10:56 PM
Bruce is that Darren of PDD discus on the buy sell section who has hundreds of Grade A discus for sale with small eyes..etc?
Perhaps he can rectify the situation.,....surely it was an oversight....maybe he got them from the wrong tank. id contact him....and see if he can fix it.

stimpy15
09-22-2002, 10:57 PM
take pictures of each one of them and inform this darren guy fast and try to get ur money back.

09-23-2002, 02:45 AM
Stempy15
The good ones color up fast! some much slower. For the most part melons color up very quick! the deep red shows up only at older age or if color fed very young. Only a small % will go all solid but this Won't happen untill close to adult!
a % will carry white face and a % will carry a yellow face
a % will be super clean and a % very Dirty A % kind of burnt orange a % melon red. You will even get throw backs
of 9 bar brown red Discus! Am not sure what they are. Rose red, Flame of the Forest, Sanmera Etc.. but its what they used many lines ago to create the melon. Anyways i know there are lines of melons that breed more true.
mine are a cross between a kitti red doll and a chai red melon that I started myself!
HTH
TakeCare'
Cary Gld!

09-23-2002, 04:05 AM
It's a clean sweep - that's one butt ugly discus :thumbsdown:. :sick:, too. Not even a red melon :o. Complain loud to whoever you got that fish from :furious:.

Sorry you got beat on that one :-\.

Mat

09-23-2002, 08:25 AM
Its boot Time!
the melon Gang or is that gang Green! hee.hee.heee

Off with there Heads! :wasntme:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=2955

NOT A DISCUS DELIGHT AGAIN! some never learn Or give up!

Mike_T
09-23-2002, 08:48 AM
Hmmmm......northern Ohio....LMAO!!!

Hey Mike, I'm sure you could stop by and give us a review of the "new" hatchery!

-Mike T 8)

SLY
09-23-2002, 10:26 AM
bruce just out of curiousity..how much you bought the discus and how u got the discus? I am sure you are in the hobby for quite sometimes now to know better what a red melon is..let us know what happen to the whole deal in order to be fair to the guy who sold u the fish. :)

Jeff
09-23-2002, 02:05 PM
I import from Wayne. He has very high quality fish. I can assure you that does not look like one of his to me. I would talk to the person who you bought it from and ask if this is imported or something he tried to breed and pass off as someone elses.

April
09-23-2002, 03:36 PM
not sure hes a breeder at all. think hes a broker? buying up lots of fish from "places" and sells them?

discus4me
09-23-2002, 07:03 PM
oh my :o

09-23-2002, 10:59 PM
I think something fishy is up..... Bruce cleans tanks for Mike Wells so he obviously knows what a good fish should look like..... Is this something against Darren and them or what? I hope this isn't someone trying to defer business from someone else...cuz that would be just wrong.....
My $.02
Brad

09-23-2002, 11:22 PM
maybe out of a sanmerah.... A melon for sure.. just not the red kind.....

fcdiscus
09-24-2002, 12:07 AM
Did you get taken in from Darin Frye in Painesville, Ohio? Frank

mtwinn
09-24-2002, 02:10 AM
Hi Everyone,

I will not comment or jump to conclusion on whether this is another scam since I don't know all the details yet. However, it seems like it is potentially really easy for someone to get ripped off by one of these scams.

What I am proposing is that we, the users of this great forum, come up with a way to screen an individual or organization to see if they're legit. It's like going through a "background" and clearing it before being allowed to advertise on this forum. Also, when someone advertise, they should be classified as either "Breeder/ Business" or "Amateur". IMO, If someone wants to advertise on this forum, I don't think it's too much to ask.

This is just my suggestion. What do you guys (and gals) think? I just hate to read about someone getting ripped off...especially someone from this forum.

Thanks,
Mike :)

09-24-2002, 02:17 AM
Brad'
Slow down! These guys been ripping people off for along time now Before 80% of the posters Here! Mike has Nothing to Do with This. You are Going the wrong way on a one way street!

Sorry Bruce You do need To pay More attention and ask Mike More Q's Imo I would think after working with Discus You would Have the Eye! No harm Though sometimes it takes awhile.

Best wishes!
Cary Gld!

PDDISCUS
09-24-2002, 08:24 AM
Hi,

just want to say that I no longer will visit any of these discus sites at all ever again, and also I no longer sell discus. this is a way to cut throat business. I have a real job and dont need this crap! so , you dont have to worry anymore, because my fish and tanks are going by by TODAY ! dont need these headaches. Bruce, I emailed you told you to stop by for a refund. I will refund you in full.
I was told that they were melons, so it was a mistake.
stop by for your money back.
you guys can post whatever you like, I wont be reading them, I no longer will visit any discus sites. for my own peice of mind.
here is an email from bruce just 2 days ago.:

How's it going. Man these discus are gorgous. Want to thank you for letting us check out the sweet discus you got in. and again thanks for the blue diamond, that was very generous. Once i get some of the scorpion ss going again, i'll hook you up with some. I'm looking forward to seeing these melons grow up. It was great talking to you, will keep in touch and tell you how the discus are going. Thanks
THIS IS WHAT HE WROTE ME.
anyway..... good luck to all. I am out for good.
thanks,Darin.

Mike_T
09-24-2002, 08:33 AM
.....again. :'( :'( :'( ;D ;D ;D

I remember the first time I ever spoke with you you offered to cut me in on an import order. All I had to do was simply wire you the money! Mamma didn't raise no fool...

Mike T 8)

09-24-2002, 09:04 AM
This is the same thing You said Last Year!

We are bad we cut throat am taking my ball and going home
boo hoo!

learn or burn! brother!

April
09-24-2002, 09:09 AM
Yes...I remember that. He said dont worry im closing up shop and wont be selling discus anymore. when he was Discus Delight.
Guess he thought new name....all will be fine.
Think Bruce just saw little red fishies and got excited....and didnt look closely at the shape and health. Think it does take awhile to have an eye..
Bruce good luck on getting your refund.

BLUEKNIGHT
09-24-2002, 10:19 AM
SOMONE GOT BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

discus_girls
09-24-2002, 11:42 AM
Hi

I am afraid to put my fish pictures on here now.. if every one just looks at one picture and jumps to all kinds of conclusions this is not right.. I know something about discus and I can not tell to much with the one picture that was posted. it was a very poor picture. plus I see the email that he sent back to the seller and seam he was happy. I do not know but seams to me something is fishy about this I agree with Bradnc. Plus I have not seen thediscuskid come back on here to say anymore. One thing I all so seen was the gentleman that said he was showing a red melon.on here. It is not a true red melon in his own words it was a cross and it was his own breed. that is what is wrong with the hobby everyone is putting there own names on the fish and cross breeding them. that is just my own IMO Sorry but I thought this was a hobby Lets try to keep it that way. the more people sale quality fish the hobbyist will get better prices and better quality for there money ..

Dee

09-24-2002, 03:56 PM
Sorry! discusgirl'

you are so very lost! I do not mean to be Mean But thats Why we are Here! To stop people like that from robbing people out of there hard earned Money! And to teach others how to breed and care for There discus.

Most of the the people that posted to this thread have been helping Many for years now! Even before You.

Girlfriend If You want to learn and become a great Discus Breeder and All We are here to Help!

For Your info That Nasty looking Discus would of never Amounted to anything. And its not even close to the right strain.

What I think is you opened Your Mouth But You really No nothing about quality Or health. Join Us on the right side
cause your falling on the wrong. I was the one who talked To brad on the phone. brad just got the wrong Ideal.
I was the one Who told him Something was Fishy but I meant it for bruce Not knowing a healty discus or Quality Discus when he Bought them. No big deal though sometimes it takes time to have the eye for Discus Some sooner Some Later!

TakeCare I mean No harm
Just here to Help!
Cary Gld!

chuck
09-24-2002, 04:33 PM
Yes DiscusGirl , Join Us ...Feel the force, don't let the dark side take you..... ;D ;D

Please post your pictures, discus are NOT cheap, so there is alot of people selling crap to make a buck... We all brought discus that didn't turn out right, but each time you learn a little more as to what to look for and what you should get for your $$$.

If it wasn't for cary and a few other dedicated breeders and hobbyist we would all be thinking that discus where suppose to be football shaped, and round shape was the cull !!! :P :o :o ;D
chuck

TheDiscusKid
09-24-2002, 04:43 PM
Like everyone said, i need to learn to get the eye for discus. All i saw was that they were melons, they are fish i always wanted, and that i wanted it now. Thats going to change now. I never seen how a baby red melon looked before, so that was one of my faults. If i knew what a baby red melon looked like, then i would've been able to point out the fish before i was able to get the discus that i got now. So not knowing what a red melon baby looked like in the first place was my problem. Another thing that I need to look for was, I need to know what kind of breeder that I am going to get the fish from. All I saw was red melons 35 bucks from a person did i did not know. What I found out was cheap prices wasn't everything. quality is the first thing that i should've looked for. Good reviews on certain breeder is what i should've looked for. How is the breeder like, does he have the best stuff. I maybe should've asked people before I bought these discus. I've learned a lesson from this. Better to buy quality then to buy cheap.

Bruce

09-24-2002, 05:53 PM
Discus Girl post your photos.

I really did not want to get involved nor do I have the time, but feel that I need to shed some light on the current situation here.

Bruce is a 15yr old kid that loves tropical fish... Not just discus. We met a year or so ago when he stopped out to look at our discus. He started coming by often picking up a few here a few there. He is a nice kid I enjoyed his company and after awhile I started to let him do odd job's around the hatchery. cleaning tanks, making beefheart etc... Most of the time in trade for fish. Like most he made a few mistakes with young fish but has become a pretty good discus keeper he even won "best of show" at a cichlid convention. I was pretty impressed. He likes allot of the new verities on the market like San Merahs, Melons and Snow Flakes but like most young people he's a little impatient. He was gone most of the summer visiting relatives in Vet-nam and has not been around much. I assume that he seen the add on Simply that Darren was running and called him looking for Red Melons. He comes over yesterday to check things out and look at the new fish room. He sees both verities of Melons (not for sale) I have and questions the ones he just bought. He then showed me some photos on his camera and they were pretty small. I could not tell for sure but told him they did not look like red melons. I did not want him to think I was being one sided because I sell discus and suggested he post the photos and ask all of you. I have no idea why he bought those discus. For those of us that know Darren aka DJ aka Darren Fry aka A Discus Delight....you could easily understand how Bruce may have been talked out of his money.

If I tell people how big of a liar and thief he is and inform them of his bad business practices how does that make me look? He lives 30min from me. What am I supposed to do hang a warning sign on my door? It just dont look good. So for the last year or so I Just sat back and did my own thing yet.... constantly being reminded by walk in customers of how he screws people. This time he went a little too far, he tried to pull a fast one on a young kid. Yes Bruce should have know and maybe none of this would have happened if I would have warned him in advance.

Mike T.... the guy has 4 tanks at least that's what everyone tells me. He could have more??? but he wont show anyone his secret breeding room. He does not import from Wayne he buys B grade fish at wholesale prices other breeders/importers in the US

I'm sorry if you folks think this is some kind of scam against him by all means go buy your discus from him.

Mike

Rikk
09-24-2002, 05:55 PM
that is one sick baby !!!

brubg it back, get your money back
read a lot hear before you buy an other one

and never buy another fish from the same adress

April
09-24-2002, 06:37 PM
Yep...i heard Bruces conversation about what happened in Chat Discusgirl.
And ...you see some of us were around last year when he ripped a ton of people off for alot of money. and he said he was out....and would not sell discus anymore. at that time...he was called A Discus Delight.
We are all just looking out for our young friends interests. Tank space is at a premium and Bruce is a teenager who works hard to save the money he needs to get discus.
we're all rather fond of him. so we're not trying to make him feel bad...we want to help him if anything.
He shouldve asked around for references..but him and alot of us are sometimes too excited about finding that special red fish we want.

09-24-2002, 09:02 PM
Dam! April You are smoken! :flame:

I just wanted to say that lately aprils posts have been some of the BEST! Well worded and straight from the heart!

Good Job April!

Your Friend
Cary Gld!

09-24-2002, 09:37 PM
hey,
Sorry to everyone if I led people in the wrong direction..... I did have a conversation with Cary and he told me that Bruce cleaned tanks for Mike, and that was it. So, i assumed that he was trained with discus and could easily spot such a falicy. I did not realize he was even younger than I, and he is just so in love with fish, like myself. Also, I did not wish to place any blame on Mike Wells, be it directly or indirectly. I have heard absolutely nothing but great things about him and would not hesitate to do business with him myself. I guess in my own infinite teenage wisdom I too, like Bruce, may have jumped the gun...and I have a whole 3 years on Bruce. I'm just glad this is such an understanding group of people and that there really was a scam underneath it all, even if it was not as i acused originally. The best of luck to both Bruce and Mike!
Sincerely sorry,
Brad

09-24-2002, 10:52 PM
Brad, Dont sweet it. Bruce and I spent some time the other day going over a few things that he should be looking for in a high quality discus and I'm sure he will use better judgement the next time. ;)

Mike

stimpy15
09-24-2002, 10:57 PM
would u mind posting a few of the tips u shared with bruce here with picking "healthy" discus? (for the less experienced)
i'm sure this would help us all

thanks

09-25-2002, 01:02 AM
At 2" in size the first thing you look at is shape. Focus on just the body with out the fins. The discus should appear to be the same length from nose to cudal and top to bottom. The head should be a smooth looking semi circle no humps dents or roman nose.. This is commonly seen between the eyes. From the front the fish should not look cocked bent or twisted or THIN... a sure sign of a crooked spine or malnourished.

Next Would be the eyes at 2" in size they should be no more then 3/16 of an inch. Look for nicks or flat spots on the outer circle and the pupil should be centered in the iris. Color is a personal preference everyone likes red, regardless it should be even and solid.

Then I would look at the gill covers. They should not be dented in and cover the entire gill filament... You should see no red. Both should move simultaneous at a rate of one breath per second when the fish is at rest.

The fins should be erect and even. No tears splits or rips the hard spines in the dorsal and anal fin should increase in size at an even rate. Neither should be short. Pelvic fins should be free of kinks, twists or bends. Excessive and jagged growth of soft portion of the pectoral or tail fin is a sign of Hormone.

At this size color should not be a big issue but still should resemble the base tone of the strain or type your buying. Dark and black a no no same goes for white or cotton look. Excessive or "full color" at 2-3" should be avoided. Again Hormone or color feed.

Stomach should look full (except after shipping) No white Feces. The discus should be alert and come to the surface when they see your hand approaching the top. All should be aggressive when feed..Look for scratching, dashing or rubbing.

You must also remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like it and its healthy by all means buy it. But remember this fish may be with for for a long time.

Its late I'm tired and sure I missed something anyone Else care to add??? This can turn into a great thread!!!!! Add on people

HTH

Mike

09-25-2002, 01:05 AM
I think this will clear things up even more....

Darren when will you learn.

http://www.fishforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000032

discus_girls
09-25-2002, 01:19 AM
well

I know I am a girl.. but your treating me like a dumb blond or something you do not even know me to say if I can tell quality or not .. I am sure not your girlfriend and I resent the comment for sure.. I forgot your Cary and you can see the quality in the fish ... Well I thought the Quality was in the eye of the beholder.. what gets me most is thediscuskid thought the fish was gorgeous until everyone shot them down.. Maybe in his eyes he fail in love with them.. that's what really counts not every one else.. what you think is beautiful I may not and vice versa.. I know I am new on this forum but I have been on here watching and reading.. If my memory serves me right I seen one of the breeders on here really get pissed off because someone posted there picks right after they got them and they was all stressed out and they look like sick fish poor quality.. could this be the same???????? I know the mistake of the strain of fish but the seller admits that part .. he thought they were red melons.. I think every one should get a fair shake.. sorry but I still think something is very wrong with this whole thing.. like they say there is a snake in the grass some where and I hope they get bit who ever it is.. people need to open there eyes and see what's going on..

Dee

fcdiscus
09-25-2002, 02:04 AM
Dee, I know that seller, and he says he is an expert on Discus. He knew that fish was NOT a Red Melon. And how would you feel if I sold you a diamond, and when you went to have it appraised, the jewler told you it was a fake? Frank

09-25-2002, 02:15 AM
Thank You O Great one
Your much to soft!
DJ like victim like You very Much :bounce2:

Please go here and find Your snake! PLEASE click on and read! I understand Your mad But how does a breeder for many years not Know a melon. sounds like he is just about as lost as You! The guy is guilty now and allways will be.
Am sorry to piss You off but its for the good of the hobby and the quality of the discus strain for others many years to come. You do have good points But thoses days are over! sister. THIS is biz don't take it so personal.

NOW READ!
http://www.fishforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000032

Serpae
09-25-2002, 03:12 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:THANKYOU SIMPLY DISCUS TEAM for looking out for our best interest's, and the interest's of our hobbie. THANKYOU for the quality professional articles and feedback that you give to us, as well as the wealth of knowledgeable member's. THANKYOU to the Simply Discuss breeder's that breed us these strain's that we want so bad! You will all be the first family that I turn too when I need help.

Darren

BlueTurquoise
09-25-2002, 04:26 AM
Oh man, I have nothing to do with any of this, having said that from the past 2 hours of reading every post and following Cary's links this guy is a total con job! I really want to add my 2 cents

1) he has finacial problems but that is no excuse to rip people off blatantly. If he has problems don't sell discus
2) as if you could not tell the difference between 4 goldens and 1 red turq when the customer orders 6 goldens ROFLMAO!
3) I know the picture is small and blurry but man the fish aint even red, how can one even associate it with a name like red melon? No offence to you Bruce as I think it was not your fault at all...

I guess it sounds like we are hard on this con artist at first but I totally understand where Cary is coming from and it only takes a few mins (well 2 hours for me, slow reader) to find out that this guy has had a long reputation of bs and nothing that this guy says or does should be trusted. I am surprised that this ******* is getting away with it for so long, where is the justice!

Bruce sounds like a sweet kid, I remember me at his age and ~$50 (average price of discus?) is a lot of money to pay for a fish and he should get what he paid for and a good one at that. I have nothing more to say except that I am on your side on this one Bruce. Don't dispare, just hold your head up high and don't look back.

Chong

Aquatic_Design
09-25-2002, 09:10 AM
I'll give you the facts of my experience with A Discus Delight and let you be the judge.
Last year I purchased a used canister filter on auction from DJ. I sent him a PayPal payment and he e-mailed me that he could not get the payment because he had closed his e-mail address. I sent him a MO and then contacted PayPal.
PayPal told me he could get the payment any time he wanted and they refused to credit it back to me. So at this point I had paid him twice for a used filter. I finally decided to contact my CC and dispute the PP payment. I did get the money back through my CC.
Donna
P.S. - He did send the filter.

Dee,
Cary is one of the most respected breeders on this forum. He is a very honest and upfront guy. He is just trying to help.

fcdiscus
09-25-2002, 12:47 PM
Darin Frye was supposed to be fed-exing me a refund today. He gave me a fed-ex tracking number that does not exist in the fed-ex system, so he is obviously lying as usual. He has also informed me that all of the forums, including this one, are being monitered so as he can sue all of us for slander. Mercy me, I am scared to death. Frank

Rikk
09-25-2002, 02:20 PM
for the breeder in question if he reads this:

SUE ME PLEASE

iīm in holland, that will cost you the most
how do you sleep at night !!!

try too make a honest living as we all do and donīt dissapoint youngsters who are saving a long itime for there favourate fish.

fcdiscus
09-25-2002, 03:48 PM
Aquabid bidders also beware! This slimeball is now Pdddiscus! Frank

Wolf
09-25-2002, 03:52 PM
Geez this guy is a slime ball. Looks like someone needs to visit this guy in Ohio and beat the money he owes out of him. He is a blatant con artist for sure and he better be glad he didn't sell me any of his junk fish.

brewmaster15
09-25-2002, 04:11 PM
Darin,
Please email me at brewmaster15 @att.net . I would like to talk to you about this post and your advertisement in the for sale section.

thank you,
al

09-25-2002, 07:38 PM
That's the way to take care of things in an adult manner Al....it was good you let it go on long enough for everyone to see that this is not a guy to be dealt with. Why would anyone want to go somewhere else when we have these wonderful guys like Cary and Mike right here on the board....that's my question....

Brad

discus_girls
09-26-2002, 12:39 PM
Hi

I am very upset with this forum and the way it has went without any one checking his fish out ,and no mediator to stop this until it was checked out. all of this over one fish lol.. thefishkid you was there how did the fish look... seams how Mike has gone over with you what to look for in a quality fish now ? Plus please let me know how it goes on if you get your refund back, or if you keep the fish let me see how they look in a few weeks or so. looks like to me by the poor pic. that it will grow up and be show fish that is my own IMO post it or just email me thanks. And I am going to let you all no I am not as inept as you all think, I no a quality fish. I see in mikes post that he also agrees with me, that the quality of the fish is in the eye of the beholder. so come on folks lighten up. I do not care what you think of me because you all do not no me. People that do, know I speak from my heart. so take care and God Bless Dee

Liz_Streithorst
09-26-2002, 02:27 PM
I am SOOOO grateful that I found this forum and some GOOD HONEST breeders to buy from. I had no idea how easy it would have been to get scammed. What is it about these beautiful fish that attracts so many scum bags?

Liz

moonwalker
09-26-2002, 02:34 PM
Why are you thinking that you are mad at you discus_girl? I don't know why you are even supporting this guy? or ARE YOU SUPPORTING YOURSELF DARRIN? I've read every single post on this thread and out of everyone, you and yourself (Discus_girl) is against everyone. Take one good look at that picture. You know that fish looks like crap. You know that there is no quality there. Wouldn't you want to kick yorself if you got that fish? And I know wayne, one of the top breeders in hong kong is not going to sell fish like that. All the fish I've seen of waynes are way nicer. And Darrin you say that you are not going to be associated with any of these forums, you might as well stop looking at the forums because we know who you are and this so called discus girl is a fake. cause out of everyone i don't think anyone is going to believe one word you say.

discus_girls
09-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Well

I am not supporting this guy. I am trying to point out why you do not see other discus breeders post on your forums. or find any discus breeders in your area on this forum they all get shot down except a few . every one I seen that tried to come on boy they get riddled to death by the group. so everyone quit trying. I know of a few of them, so far they are afraid to even get on, I can not blame them for sure. For me being this guy that is a joke, I am just a regular discus hobbyist wanting to see more people selling discus instead of a few. If they are scared to post on the forums we will never find them, is all I am trying to say. like allot of people we can not afford the fish plus the shipping charges for the fish. Sorry if you think I am wrong but that is my own IMO. well that's all I got to say

Dee

brewmaster15
09-26-2002, 04:02 PM
Dee,
You may direct your Concerns to me at brewmaster15@att.net or instant message me at this board.

I would like very much to believe that You are just genuinely concerned about the person in question here.
I am intrigued by your strong defense of someone you do not know, and have no experience dealing with, where as many others here seem to have a history to draw from in their posts.

Admittedly its very hard to believe you are sincere, since you first signed up here on sept 24, the same day Darin made his post here, only 2 hours latter. Seems like a real strange way to start off posting here.

For the record, I do not know, and have no experience with the person in question outside of posts on other forums. I will defer the opinion to the masses on this one. A suggestion would be to go to other forums like the DRP and DIP and read up on some history.

I am not here to mediate, and the opinions expressed here , as well as the experiences shared were not done in a crude fashion, so there was not a reason to moderate. The person they were directed at responded to the post, and at no time complained to me or any moderators here.

As for Discus breeders and hobbyists being scared to post here...you have got to be kidding! Show me a more tolerant, friendly forum than this one. And tell those people you are referring to to contact me.

-al

ps.. Though I do not know the person in question I do find it interesting that in the Buy,sell and trade section the PDdiscus section is signed Paul and Darren. In this thread the PDdiscus is signed by Darin . Why the deceit?
Funny ...also no response from "Paul" in all this.

fcdiscus
09-26-2002, 04:14 PM
Well, I will say this for Darin. Today I got a total refund. I still feel the whole thing was unnecessary, and I was prepared to make a trip to Ohio on Monday, but now I do not have to. Personaly, I do not want anything to do with Darin Frye again! RIP Frank

chuck
09-26-2002, 07:03 PM
Al,
I think your right on about this discus_girl.. I thought it was strange that she just started posting and was being so opinionated right out of the gate....
Fcdiscus
Glad you got a refund... everyone learns the hard way, luckly it turned out ok in the end...
chuck

discus_girls
09-27-2002, 10:47 AM
Well there was only two people that I was concerned about and that was the buyer & the seller. I see if you disagree on this post with the members you get treated like a outsider. well it may be my fault because of the bad timing I come on, but it just happen that way. Please just delete me as a member on this forum because I can see I will not fit in God bless & good bye

Brewmaster15 I was going to contact you but since you more or less do not believe me. I feel it is a waste of time for even trying.

Dee

brewmaster15
09-27-2002, 11:10 AM
Dee,
Perhaps you should have contacted me first. Everyone here knows I am very accessible by email, IM, and phone. That is no secret. Instead you attack everyone else, disbelieve their posts in the defense of someone you do not know. You showed no respect to the members here and wonder why You feel like an outsider?

You have the ability to delete your posts and accounts. Feel free to do so.

-al

09-27-2002, 11:30 AM
btw, quality isn't really in the eye of the beholder, but beauty is. So a butt-ugly fish in my opinion may be a charming addition to your aquarium. But a football is a football, a chipped eye is a chipped eye, a dent in the head is a dent in the head etc. You can say that you don't care about the quality of the fish, you still love the fish and that's your right. But the standards that make a quality fish are less objective. There's still room to argue about camera angles, fish yawning etc. and it's tough to assess the quality over the net with a single picture. But if the person taking the picture says that the pic is a good representation of what the fish looks like (and why would anyone post a picture that shows a beautiful fish looking like a cull) then it's reasonable to assess the quality from the picture.

Dave

redlines
09-28-2002, 12:04 AM
Dave,

Very well stated!

Andy

09-28-2002, 12:04 AM
WELL SAID DAVE!

09-28-2002, 12:36 AM
Dee (or whoever you may be),

This guy has been ripping people off for a couple years, on several forums, under several different names. He has also posted under false aliases promoting himself. So, if you are not he, save the bleeding heart for one who deserves it. He does not.

Mat

09-28-2002, 10:19 AM
YA! Really!

breed_beyond
09-28-2002, 12:15 PM
What I don't understand in the first place is that if bruce cleans tanks for Mike Wells why didn't he just buy fish from Mike. I know that mike has some lovely fish....

discus_girls
09-28-2002, 12:46 PM
well breed_beyond I was thinking the same thing. If that was bruce dream fish the red melons, Mike could of ordered him some most likely and gave him a break on price, since he works for him. that's what does not make any sense to me. I am not attacking anyone on this post just stating IMO on this matter. I am not posting about anything else but what I seen on this forum. because I do not know anything on the other forums what is going on. I am not taking what people say about me to heart because you do not know me. but I am not shy and will put in my own 2 cents. Like that poor quality picture give me a break. Like to see bruce put a better picture up..

Dee

09-28-2002, 01:20 PM
Mike don't sell Red Melons for $35.00 ;)

fcdiscus
09-28-2002, 01:34 PM
Yeah, and if Mike had Red Melons that looked like the fish in this post, he would have culled them on the spot! Frank

discus_girls
09-28-2002, 02:34 PM
How much do you sell the Red melons for Mike ?

Dee

09-28-2002, 02:55 PM
Mike don't sell Red Melons for $35.00

Apparently, neither does DJ, ha ha ha.

Dave

redlines
09-28-2002, 05:42 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Serpae
09-28-2002, 07:21 PM
Hi Dee, :wave:

It is nice to see that you are willing to stick up for some one in trouble, but this guy is not in trouble, HE IS TROUBLE.

I have been following this post topic quite closely, and have read the other forum posting's about this guy and really feel sorry for those people that he has sucked in over the time that he has been flogging of crap fish.

With all the wonderfull breeding that is taking place, and all the new colour variety's out there now, I would rely on the breeder or seller's experience and integrity to sell me a GOOD fish, not a feeder.

I remember being in my teen's, and how nieve I was, believing the person selling me fish because they had years of experience over me, do you!

Dee, if you are as genuine as I hope you are, PLEASE stop defending this guy and post your input and experience's in other topics on this great site, and prove that you really are a great, caring person. :love:

April
09-28-2002, 09:29 PM
Mike....can I buy some melons from you for 35.00?
no? they are in high demand....and you had to pay mega bucks to get your pair etc? you'd lose money?
ok then ..... ::)

redlines
09-28-2002, 09:43 PM
I could resist no longer. Just say no to culls.

09-28-2002, 10:45 PM
Dee or is it DJ ???

if you would like a price list feel e-mail me at

mwells@adiscusdream.com

2" Red Melon

TheDiscusKid
09-28-2002, 10:49 PM
I bought the red melons from darrin because they were 35 bucks. I was impatient. Even though I work for mike doesn't mean i'm going to get the deals. If he were to charge me at cost, what would be the point of that. he would be losing money. And I knew red melons were not a cheap fish. Like April says they are in high demand, so the prices are going to be up. i saw the ad for the melons and i thought that the price was a good deal and thats why i had gotten them. And since i did not know what a baby red melon looked like, i ended up getting the wrong fish.

09-28-2002, 10:55 PM
Thai Melon...

fcdiscus
09-28-2002, 11:38 PM
Wow, Mike- THOSE are really Beautiful fish! Frank

09-28-2002, 11:45 PM
There Ok Frank.... I seen some in Detroit that blew these away ;)

Mike

jim_shedden
09-29-2002, 08:07 AM
Hi Mike : I have seen ths fish by other names as well. Some of the Marlboro reds and red dolls appear very similar. Am I correct or is there a variation? Regardless...........THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL.

Jim

jim_shedden
09-29-2002, 08:20 AM
DISCUS GIRL (GUY).............stop the bs and get lost !

Jim

09-29-2002, 09:45 AM
Jim, you are correct they are very high grade Marlboros that have been out crossed for Color.

The Thai Melon aka Red Doll still has black in the dorsal, anal, and tail fin.

The "Sing or Chai" Melon is much cleaner no black in the Dorsal or anal fin and the Tail fin is clear. This to me is the most appealing verity.

Mike

scottwheels
09-29-2002, 09:51 AM
Me too Mike. I've just found another discus to add to "THE LIST" ;D Ha ha ha! Seriously, they look great Mike. What do they outcross the MR with to get that vibrant colour?

Cheers, Scott

09-29-2002, 10:47 AM
My guess is a Brown base red... I'm not sure about the Sing Melon as I have never breed them. The Thai melons throw a small percentage (20%) of "Rose Reds" So my guess would be some type of wild red or San Merah??

Mike

fcdiscus
09-29-2002, 03:49 PM
Personaly, I like the red fish with the all black fins. Frank

10-01-2002, 01:17 AM
Hi Mike,
Your 2 ins red melon looks very nice. Will they still look as good or better when they are matured? Great going..keep it up..
Thanks.

10-01-2002, 10:29 AM
Red Spotted,

You are looking at a small juvenile discus. If taken care of properly. Water changes, Good Diet, and staying health are must with any discus. If all these things are met what you see is just a glimpse of what's to come.

Mike

10-01-2002, 12:51 PM
Hi Mike,
These guys look better and better..I'm drooling over my keyboard now..very nice indeed...
BTW, the second fish to the left of the pic, is this a golden or is it a red melon?
Peace,
Phil..

fcdiscus
10-01-2002, 01:12 PM
Nice Melons Mike :). Back to the original subject, Darin Frye. After paying Darin for the fish and shipping and getting dead fish, I did get a total refund. Thing is, today I got a bill from fed ex for the shipping charges. In my book- this guy is a crook. He took my money, including shipping, and them charged me for the shipping again. Incredible. In case there is anyone who doubts this man is a total slime-ball-(Dee- Or DJ) please email me at fcdiscus@aol.com so I can set you straight! Frank

Denny
10-01-2002, 07:49 PM
i just noticed this thread.and have to say darin , you give the name DJ a bad reputation. please stop using it at once! :-X. and for gods sake, if you are going to lie and rip people off, get a job at a used car lot. at least there your behavior will be expected. enron would also be a good choice but i hear they aren't hiring at the present time.

denny

RKeiger
10-02-2002, 09:39 PM
DJ,

Funny you should mention selling used cars. Darin, in fact, does sell cars. Go figure.

Btw, I still haven't received my money that was supposedly sent out last week. I have received several lame excuses though. You think the bank that holds the mortgage on my house will accept those as payment?

Bobby

TheDiscusKid
02-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Bruce, I emailed you told you to stop by for a refund. I will refund you in full.

UPDATE

I don't know if you guys remember this thread, but if you want to know more about it, start from the beginning and read on how I got cheated.

If you look at the first quote above. Darrin said that he was going to redfund my money. Every week aI asked him, when are you going to refund my money. I kep on asking him to the point at which he did not answer any of my calls, or any of my messages.

He cheated me out of a good chunk of change. Hard earned money. In exchange I got discus that were not even the right strain. I evened offered to take even less money, but still he did not even return a penny.

I learned a great lesson from this. Learn about the person before you buy.

Jeff
02-19-2003, 09:48 PM
I do remember this topic and am very sorry to hear that Bruce. :(

fcdiscus
02-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Sometimes it is best to just ingest the learning experience and move on! Of course, I got my money back because I told Mr Frye I was coming to see him! Take your pick! Frank

Discusgeo
02-19-2003, 10:34 PM
Take him to small claims court.

crimson cross
02-19-2003, 11:40 PM
Bruce,
Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope you can see this through and come back stronger. All the best...Peace.

Phil

fcdiscus
02-19-2003, 11:45 PM
Phil, Another new name! ;D ;) Frank

TheDiscusKid
02-19-2003, 11:50 PM
This has taught me a great lesson. I am now looking at discus more carefully now. And making sure to pick out the best.

Bruce

crimson cross
02-20-2003, 12:37 AM
Hi Frank,
How's the juvies coming along? They looked big in the pics.

Bruce,
Yep, buying discus is never easy. You'll get to be very selective over time.
Take care,
phil.

02-20-2003, 01:09 PM
This is even more funny... He has just opened a Pet/Aquarium store in Painsville. A friend just told me a Lake county news paper did an interview with him about his discus speciality shop.

Mike

fcdiscus
02-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Bruce, I would be in front of that store Saturday morning telling all the customers just what he did, untill he decided to give me the refund he promised! Frank :)