PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Discus and Angel Fish Meeting....

brewmaster15
09-25-2002, 05:39 PM
Hi all,
Not sure how this will work, or if..... but...
Calling all Discus and Angelfish addicts in the Northeast!!!!!

I have been asked by a few people and have been giving it some thought myself but procrastinating as usual. Heres the million dollar question...

Is there an interest in forming an association/club for Discus and Angel fish breeders and hobbyists in the northeast USA? The thought was we would meet 4 X a year, and the group would be represented by Ny, NJ, CT, RI, NH, vT,Me, and Ma for ease of meetings.

I know Jeff Richards is interested, and myself, thats 2

Darkdiscus, Francisco?, Tyler?Tommy?Chuck?yellow sub? Tim?mench? gary1218?Arvind?pooljap?gary in Nj? Dottie?slicksta? Chien? anyone else?

whats your feelings on this?

I thought we could have a get together/ informal meeting in November. I would not mind hosting it. At the least this meeting would be alot of fun, and maybe we could come up with a frame work for something more formal?

-al

Tyler
09-25-2002, 05:47 PM
I'm in!!!!!!! Thats a great idea Al, i will defnitely be there. Anything else you need help with....ya know planning/etc. im here.

Good idea, including Angelfish too. I'm just starting to get an interest in them....so this is a win win.....discus and angels!

Oh, and copy this post over on DAAH.....maybe we could find some more interested members.

Hmm, the NDAA....Northeast Discus and Angelfish Association......hehe.

Great idea brew!

Tyler

gump
09-25-2002, 05:59 PM
Maybe you could even add a token Canadian from Nova Scotia??? :wave:

09-25-2002, 06:41 PM
Hell Brew, i might come if you cook some of those giant shrimp again. lol
Matt

Tyler
09-25-2002, 07:00 PM
Shrimp!?! Now theres no way I'll miss it! LOL

Tyler

korbi_doc
09-25-2002, 07:12 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Sounds like a great idea!! Don't know if I could make it but I'd sure give it a try!!!! Would like to meet some of you youngsters sometime, hahahahahaha!!! Dottie ;D ;D ;D

gary1218
09-25-2002, 07:31 PM
FIELD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I get a FREE discus if I come? Like maybe a blue snakeskin :D

It would probably be an overnight trip for me and Ron but I think I can put up with his snoring for another night. Now, if Ron can put up my snoring you can count us in ;D

GARY

fcdiscus
09-25-2002, 07:35 PM
Hey Al, How about us LI guys and gals?????? Frank

BoxerDad
09-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Hello Everyone,

I think it would be a great idea, I'm on Long Island and I see that there are some other Islanders interested as well.

To the other Islanders, I'm located in Garden City Park. We could probably car pool to the first get together!!!

Tyler
09-25-2002, 09:22 PM
Looks like we have a nice little group here Al.... Plus im sure we can count John in, don't think he could pass up another chance to try the home brews ;D . So whatcha think, Al?

Tyler

chuck
09-25-2002, 10:34 PM
Brew.. sounds good... But beiing I'm so anti-social I got to pop some Paxil and down a few beers.... ;D ;D ;D

BoxerDad... I live in Deer Park... oh boy, oh boy .....a car buddy! D ;D

chuck

DarkDiscus
09-26-2002, 08:12 AM
Al,

Need you ask?

Sounds like fun to me!

John

ChienHsu
09-26-2002, 09:46 AM
Hi! Al:

It is a great ideal. I can show my wife that I am not the only one crazy about Discus. When in November?

Chien

brewmaster15
09-26-2002, 09:55 AM
Great Start!...

Hey you Long Islanders? Last I checked you were still Part of New York...are their 51 states now? ;D ...of course you are invited...

Pierre, I would think you qualify as Northeastern!

-al

DarkDiscus
09-26-2002, 10:23 AM
Al,

Personally I think Discus should stand alone! It is much cooler to have a discus only society than to add angelfish. Of course members could still talk angels or other fish, but the focus should be on the KING!

;)

John

brewmaster15
09-26-2002, 10:33 AM
Hi John,
Look at it as a way to convert Angel Fish hobbyists to the Discus Cult! ;D
-al

RichieE
09-26-2002, 10:33 AM
Al, Great idea. Ive been trying to get a few Long Islanders together at my place with free beer as the lure. Perhaps something larger as you suggest would get them feeding :) The next one can be at my place. count me in. Rich

Whats an anglefish???

TOMMY
09-26-2002, 11:03 AM
I'm in. Tell me when and where as long as it doesn't interfere with work. Make sure you got some of that brewsky tucked away for me! I'll even put a down payment on it! :P

-Tom-

JeffreyRichard
09-26-2002, 11:55 AM
See my new post ... I explain the thoughts behind the proposal.

John ... on a serious note regarding Angelfish ... there is a lack of a club for keepers and breeders of these fish too. Discus and angelfish are similar in that they both come from SA and breeders take them seriously. And they use a lot of the same equipment, techniques, food, etc ...

Why not combine the focus?

One of my personal peeves is a superiourity complex that some (not most, not all) breeders and keepers of one type of fish have over other fish ... as a breeder of both I like to focus on the good attributes of both/all species. Just my 2 cents.

DarkDiscus
09-26-2002, 12:12 PM
Jeff,

I was partly joking, partly serious. Obviously any members would be able to enjoy one or both species as they saw fit. I think a discus only club would be cool, but keepers of both would make a larger membership base. That also has benefits.

As far as snobbery goes, I do prefer discus - for me - but think that angels are pretty cool too. If there were no discus, I'd probably have ended up with angels, so I can't be too snobbish, now, can I?

;)

John

PS. Good idea you had - combined with the thoughts that Al and I had about a regional or even CT only club - I think it works great.

chuck
09-26-2002, 01:44 PM
Richie,
YAHOO.. FREE BEER er...er ... I mean.. er.. yeah, discus!!! ;D ;D ;D
chuck 8) 8)

mench
09-26-2002, 01:49 PM
ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok I got the ear plugs all packed and ready to go..Just give us a date and the name of some hotels close by and let us know what we can bring and I think the Gary and I will be there....Himmmmmm any other discus guys close to ya Al....I hate to waste a trip by not visiting everyone we can.....I have nothing on the calander for Nov.,cept Turkey day...
Keep us in the loop and we will be there.

Mench

chuck
09-26-2002, 01:54 PM
Richie:
isn't that what a Discus becomes when It die's?? an ANGEL-fish ... ;D ..groan....
chuck

TOMMY
09-26-2002, 01:57 PM
Only the good and well behaved ones! Than what becomes of the "bad ones"?

-tom-

brewmaster15
09-26-2002, 02:19 PM
Tom,
They go to the local Fish shops! :)

TOMMY
09-26-2002, 02:35 PM
Al, you know something, you are absolutely right!!!!!!!
The only fish that gives me a problem in my tank are the ones that I got at the LFS! The ones I got from Cary are the nicest most docile fish. Unfortunately they were getting beat up by the nasty ones so I had to sell most of them to a friend. :( Now that I think about, I should have kept those guys and sold the nasty store bought meanies.....
Of course my friend wanted Cary's fish though because of the shape and quality....
So once again you are right and I can attest to that!

-Tom-

Rikk
09-26-2002, 05:39 PM
we have the same here in holland and i can tell you can learn all a lot of each other. And you can explain other people what to do.

here it is very good, also to just drink a beer and talk about other things ten discus. But we meet every month !!

Do it, take the gamble and this fameliy wil grow !!

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

korbi_doc
09-26-2002, 05:43 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Can I bring my dog?? Korbi is a traveler, & loves to be on the road!! Dottie ::) ::) ::)

Francisco_Borrero
09-26-2002, 06:37 PM
I would love to be part of such a group. I would also be very happy so bring something for the grill or the table! However, as a Red Dog drinker (hey, it saves me money for discus supplies!), I would not offend you with such a lowly brew, and Iwill hapily help you consume any and all other refreshments we may settle on!.
Let's do it !
Cheers, Francisco.

roclement
09-27-2002, 12:01 AM
Great Idea! Can us, the lonely Discus keepers from PA be included!? Last I checked we were NE as well! >:( ;D

I think this will really happen! Count me in! Have Discus, will travel! :) :)

Let me know if you need help with organizing.

Bee hearing from you all! Rodrigo Clement

RichieE
09-27-2002, 10:36 AM
Chuck, it looks like the kids will have to play one day of soccer without us on the sidelines.

Al, If all these people show up things could get a little crowded. How big of a place ya got?

TOMMY
09-27-2002, 11:05 AM
We'll just help him set up a huge tent or something! We'll all bring sleeping bags and camp out!

-Tom-

brewmaster15
09-27-2002, 11:25 AM
may have to rent the hall, down the steet. ;) ;D and take a field trip to the hatchery /brewery...

we cans decide on a more approriate location depending on everyones attendance!
-al

the more the merrier

DarkDiscus
09-27-2002, 11:29 AM
Al,

Sandra's already excited about being a founding member. She loves events and meeting people!

LOL

Already planning for the event!

John

TOMMY
09-27-2002, 11:37 AM
Should we bring food? Hey Al, will you be selling anything by then? A couple contests maybe??? 8)

-Tom-

BoxerDad
09-27-2002, 12:46 PM
I think we should fly in Cary Strong and Mike Wells for the first meeting.

TOMMY
09-27-2002, 02:18 PM
Isn't Cary's baby due anytime soon?

-Tom-

roclement
09-27-2002, 03:49 PM
How do you guys feel about going after sponsorship??? Maybe some of tyhe breeders and/or companies involved in the trade will have an interest in being present, maybe even for a mini trade show! ;D

I know that I am getting ahead of myself but...why not!? We sure as hell spend more money than average with aquarium related stuffs, should we not try to get their interest?

Again...willing to help in any way shape or form.

Rodrigo 8)

FishHead
09-27-2002, 04:14 PM
Excellent Idea, Count me in. :thumbsup:

Tyler
09-27-2002, 04:30 PM
Well, there seems to be a lot of interest. I think the next step is to make a date, so we can so who can really attend. The whole sponsorship thing seems too soon right now, imo, i think we should have the first meeting, and talk a little expansion at that time.

Tyler

chuck
09-27-2002, 04:46 PM
Hold on there Bob-a-louie!!!! ;D I don't want to be a wet noodle here ...but...
Don't ur think we should have our 1st meeting before we start taking about sponsers and flying people in to speak.... :o :o

maybe we should set a date before the steam die's out?

chuck

TOMMY
09-27-2002, 04:55 PM
I'm sure it will happen soon. I mean Al is already looking to rent a hall near the hatchery and all. Right Al?

09-27-2002, 05:14 PM
Am with Ron'
Road Trip! I want in!

Were's the first meeting at?

Cary Gld!

TOMMY
09-27-2002, 05:16 PM
Cool! I finally get to meet THE MAN in person! 8) 8)

-Tom-

gary1218
09-27-2002, 05:40 PM
Hey Cary,

If you're serious about joining the meeting you can meet up with Ron & I in Rochester and we can drive out the rest of the way together.

GARY

pooljap
09-27-2002, 06:13 PM
certainly I would be interested in attending if it is a day that i can
free up myself.

thanks for the generous offer of starting and hosting this up.

jim

09-27-2002, 11:04 PM
Gary sounds like a plan to Me!

Lets Do it!
Cary Gld!

fcdiscus
09-28-2002, 12:03 AM
Man, this is turning into one hell of a shin-dig. Guess I better not miss it! Frank

DarkDiscus
09-28-2002, 10:02 AM
This is turning into quite the wild party! I have one free guest bed for someone coming from a distance who might need to stay overnight... As long as they don't mind being in a room surrounded by discus!

John

TOMMY
09-28-2002, 01:21 PM
Me! That's my life-long dream! I could live in a room with only discus and maybe jsut enough room for a sleeping bag! That would be an experience....hey you could start renting it out and start making some extra income. ;D

-Tom-

DarkDiscus
09-30-2002, 08:56 AM
Tom,

I'm pretty sure the wife's not up for permanent boarders, but one night she could survive...

John

Lynn
09-30-2002, 11:20 AM
Hi All,

I am in PA, more than willing to drive!!
Set the date. List some hotels. If I can get the time off from work I'll be there! ;D

Lynn

yellow sub
09-30-2002, 11:54 AM
Sounds like a great idea ;D

Count me in... let me know if you need any help, I am local to CT.

Stephen

Tyler
10-02-2002, 06:30 PM
Al, Jeff.....
Hows the planning coming along? Got anything datewise yet? I think if we can get a date quick now, most of the people who were interested early will make it there. Hehe, but afterall its your meeting..... and im sure your doing all you can :) . Keep me updated, and thanks for the work your putting into it.

Tyler

DarkDiscus
10-03-2002, 09:46 AM
Tyler,

I was thinking about asking for an update as well. Even a tentative date can let me plan around the event!

I think I'll send Jeff an e-mail, too!

John

brewmaster15
10-03-2002, 10:17 AM
Hi all,
Jeff and I are planning on a date in November. We have it narrowed down to one of 2 saturdays. I'll let you know when its finalized.

basically we are looking at an early afternoon luncheon , meeting, and maybe a stop CTdiscus for a tour .
Time frame will probably between 1:00Pm-5:00pmfor the formal meeting. I'll leave the evening open if anyone want to shoot the breeze after.

-al

DarkDiscus
10-03-2002, 10:26 AM
Al,

Thanks for the update! I'll be free every saturday in November except for the last one - Thanksgiving weekend. John

chuck
10-03-2002, 12:17 PM
Now the most important Question, Al....... :drummer:

Do we get to tour the brewery???? :jester::jester::jester:

chuck

TOMMY
10-03-2002, 12:26 PM
I was going to ask the same question but didn't want to "push it". But since it was brought up..... is this a part of the "shooting the breeze" schedule? :P

-Tom-

DarkDiscus
10-03-2002, 12:28 PM
Tom,

Shooting the breeze, drinking the beer - same thing...

;)

Al had better get brewing, it sounds like there will be a thirsty mob on his hands!

John

brewmaster15
10-03-2002, 02:08 PM
The CTdiscus tour will include a tour of the CTBrewery, and free sample will be availible for taste testing if accompanied by a valid ID (sorry Tyler ;) ;D -I'm trying to find a good recipe for rootbeer for you!)

-al

TOMMY
10-03-2002, 02:23 PM
Cool! 8) But what happens if we like the sample....

-Tom-

brewmaster15
10-03-2002, 03:39 PM
I teach you how to make your own! ;D
-al

TOMMY
10-03-2002, 03:49 PM
That great! :thumbsup: Gonna hold ya up to it though! :smash:

-Tom-

DarkDiscus
10-03-2002, 03:58 PM
Al,

I already like the samples!

I want a case!

John

;D

TOMMY
10-03-2002, 04:03 PM
I trust John's judgment! I would like to reserve a case also. :antlers:

-Tom-

DarkDiscus
10-03-2002, 04:26 PM
Tom,

I still think Al never saw my review of all his beers in the "best store bought beer" thread. I've been waiting to hear his take on it...

;)

John

Tyler
10-03-2002, 04:46 PM
Sounds good, Saturdays are fine for me ;D . Brew...lol, thanks for thinkin of me. I'm starting to get a little excited.....keep me updated!

Tyler

breed_beyond
10-03-2002, 04:49 PM
I had a friend that brewed beer, and he brewed actual root beer. It was beer that slightly tasted like root beer.

brewmaster15
10-10-2002, 09:58 AM
Hi all,
Jeff has posted this over at the angel fish forum..

http://www.awforum.net/angelfish/default.asp

.......This is an invitation to all Discus and Angelfish addicts in the Northeast US

Al Sabetta and I are putting together a "gala event" aimed at Discus and Angelfish enthusiest. A number of Discus folks around New England (in fact as far away as Ohio) are planning to get together for what we hope is the first of many meetings of a new organization we hope to form.

We are attempting to get something going where a group of breeders and keepers can get together on a regular basis to talk shop ... I think the interaction is something that forums and the internet can't duplicate. Besides, the sharing of information can be immense.

WHEN Saturday, November 23;
WHERE Northford, Connecticut, hometown of Al Sabetta and CTDiscus Hatchery
TIME 1:00 - 5:00 (tentatively) with informal time afterwards

The TENTATIVE agenda:

Presentations by Al & Jeff ... topics - Artificially Breeding Discus; Operating a Hatchery (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly ...)

Lunch (we are planning this event at a local restaraunt)

Group Discussion - Forming the club!

Group Discussion - open topics ... old fasion open forum where the participants start a discussion about ... whatever

Marketplace ... trade, buy, sell ... bring your fish and your wallet! ... I'm playing around with an auction idea, looking for suggestions

Tour of CT Discus ... Al's hatchery

So if you are interested, please join us! It should be loads of fun, and hopefully the start of a great organization.

Stay tuned for more details.

Email me with any questions ... jeff_richard@hotmail.com

Jeff Richard & Al Sabetta

Okay, now we have a date and agenda... time for a head count.... whos going? I'd like to get some number of the participants for the lunch part of the meeting by next friday , Oct 18 th if thats possible.

Thanks,
al

DarkDiscus
10-10-2002, 10:11 AM
Al,

Sandra and I will be in attendance! I am going to try to get a friend of mine interested - he used to keep angels and has gotten out of the hobby.

John

TOMMY
10-10-2002, 10:41 AM
I'm coming up and with probably a prospective discus keeper too! I know, I know. I'm the influence but hey, better into fish that the other stuff! :P

-Tom-

DarkDiscus
10-10-2002, 10:47 AM
In order to avoid confusion and so that everyone noticed it, we reposted the headcount on the main page, so everyone please post there.

Thanks!

John

BoxerDad
10-11-2002, 12:32 AM
I'm planning to join you guys. Need directions from Long Island.

Please e-mail info to f4weasel@optonline.com

Thank-you

John
Garden City Park, NY

EthanCote.com
10-21-2002, 12:50 PM
Suggestion:

For those that can not attend, could someone volunteer to take notes and pictures? I'm sure most members here on Simply would love to read and view those photos.

As an alternative, any chance of setting up a webcam for this event? ;D

Just a thought. hehe

Cheers,

Chi.

arvind
10-21-2002, 04:48 PM
i would love to join this too...

where will it be held and when?

i'm new to the discus and wanna know more from the experts and join the crowd with discus..

wow..am really excited..

regards
arvind

Tyler
10-21-2002, 05:27 PM
I'll have my digi cam with me, so im sure ill snap a couple shots. As you know im no big time expert with the camera though......too bad gip isn't going :) .

Tyler

PARCS46
08-06-2003, 01:27 AM
Hey Guys & Gals: I'd love to be at that first meet. As I mentioned in a earlier post one possible name for the new group could be, North East Discus Assn.(NEDA), now that the Angels guys want to tag along & I think that's great, just simply add another A to (NEDA) and you have(NEDAA), North East Discus Angel Assn. Seems pretty neat to me fellas! How about some feed back? Hey Al, please keep me in the loop, as I do not want to miss this one, looks like a real goodie. Sincerely, Bill W. 8) (DiscusDevil) 8)

Abercrombie6202
08-23-2003, 02:35 PM
So i'm confused, when is the next meeting, and where at. I would really like to join. LOL i hope it is close my mom wouldn't drive me over like 2 hours to get to a discus meeting!! I need to find a discus pal who can drive, LOL. Being 14 is hard, i wish i could drive. I guess i'll just wait another 2-4 years.

bikhu
09-13-2003, 03:43 PM
Hi Guys,
I am definitely in. I am just sorry that I didn't see this post earlier. Let me know Al.
peter

rjaso
09-28-2003, 09:51 AM
I'm new to the group here, I live in CT, I'd love to join you.

ybnormal
10-16-2003, 02:18 PM
Hi All,

I'm brand new to this board. The idea of a local discus club really appeals to me. I live on Long Island and would make the trip to your first meeting. More details to follow?

YB

DarkDiscus
10-16-2003, 02:31 PM
All,

Just FYI, the first meeting was last December and was a lot of fun. There are plans in the works for a fresh meeting of the NE Discus Assoc. this coming Nov/Dec as well - so keep your eyes peeled and watch for more information!

John

roclement
11-01-2003, 05:18 PM
hey! what about PA!? Can we come??? Last year I was dissalowed from coming by a non-functioning car...this year I have a new car! Can I come!!?? Pleeeeassseeee!!!!! ;D ;D ;D I'll bring the hors dourves and canapes here from work!

Rodrigo

fcdiscus
11-01-2003, 07:15 PM
I think Brew will let you come even if you live in Hawaii! Frank ;)

fishboy
11-05-2003, 12:55 AM
Ahh this is a awesome idea! :D

Just tell me where and when! lol and I will be there ;) ::)

rjaso
12-04-2003, 04:15 PM
I'm having trouble following the thread here. Did the meeting ever happen? If so, let's do another. I live in New Fairfield, CT and would love to get together and learn what you all are doing. Thyanks

brewmaster15
12-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Hi rli,
WE had a really nice meeting back in Nov of 2002... Plans were to have another one and it was postponed. I am going to try my best to get a meeting going in January.... For lack of a better place located..I will host this one as I did last years.

The last one had about 20 discus + family at it, and was lots of fun...This one should be too!

For those interested I am also thinking of getting a smaller monthly meeting going that would rotate around the area...Just something to think about..

-al

By the way.. welcome to the board !! Nice to see another CT discus nut! ;D