PDA

View Full Version : Importing Fish poll

brewmaster15
10-01-2002, 10:53 AM
Hi all,
Just curious what your preferences are for discus and if it matters to you at all whether the fish you buy are imports or bred locally.

Comments are welcome, but please keep it to your experiences

thanks,
al

fcdiscus
10-01-2002, 01:03 PM
It really does depend on the source, Al. I think a lot of Asians send over fish that I or better breeders would consider culls. I have gotten some fish, especially from Kitti that have a sight problem, that I would prefer not to pass along. I have also gotten some fish from Jit lai seng that are almost perfect. Thing is, these fish are really no less expensive than domestically breed fish- just some rarer or newer strains. Frank

10-01-2002, 02:53 PM
It does really depend on the source, for two main reasons, one, a good breeder will know the quality of the fish whether he imports it or breeds it, second after bringing in the fish he will work to maintain the fish in good health and shape until he is ready to ship. We all know without proper care you can take a prize winning discus and turn it in to a cull, this is very important as a good breeder will make sure his imports are not going to ruin sombody elses stock, or aleast let me know that I need to watch them over.

Discusgeo
10-01-2002, 08:29 PM
I purchased quite of few Imported Discus, but I went thru Ray Kosaka at Discus Hawaii. He does what I think is a fantastic job of medicating and culling out discus he doesn't see fit to ship. I like it that he goes over to Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Viet Nam and Singapore to meet the breeders and inspect the hatcheries before buying Discus. I plan to purchase more from Ray in about 5 or 6 months. His Discus may be expensive but the quality I got made up for that.
George

10-01-2002, 10:18 PM
I bought 2 from Bangkok- and will NEVER again! Fish arrived extremely stressed, black and were sick forever!!! Took me 6 months to fix them!!! I would vote to buy from local breeders (US for me only)............. Rocky Mountain gave me a great fish... he arrived and was perked and swimming in the bag! The rest of my fish I bought from the LFS, when I didn't know any better... and now that I do, and know what to look for, I will NEVER buy from the LFS again!!! I love my little bangkok guy- very close to my heart... for I fixed him ;D but he is stunted and his shape is definitely a football. I'm sure there are great international breeders, but as you can see.... I didn't buy from one. :(

erikiiy
10-01-2002, 10:35 PM
I have not seen the local breed discus from Great Lake Discus or A Discus Dream, but I do know that I can get some of the nice looking discus in Hong Kong. Has anyone in the US made an new strain yet? ( I really don't know) If not, I guess that would tell you the breeders in Asia is doing something different.

Whatever is available, you can find in Asia, but you can't say the same when you buy from local breeder.

It all boils down to what you want and what you can afford.

10-01-2002, 10:57 PM
I am the type of person who only wants the best.
I could careless about prices.
My ambition is to be totally satified with my collection.
This means that I am willing to gamble with imports and the many sickness.
The only challenge for me is to get my fish collection to be "Super Clean".
Once my collection is satified and clean as a whistle, I am closing all doors and windows. Even the chiminey is off limits.

fcdiscus
10-01-2002, 11:50 PM
Too bad, i was bringing you some Bangcok Ho Chi Minh Merah Red DragonDoobieDos for Christmas! Santa Claus

dogmatix
10-02-2002, 03:00 AM
If i am able to start up my fishroom in the near future i may look into become an importing agent for new zealand bringing in good fish from a malaysian farm as there realy is nothing good here at the moment and the little good stock that there is literally costs an arm and a leg :o

Coetz
10-02-2002, 06:43 AM
I would prob not import discus cause I can not sea what I am buying and I am the type of person who closely checks out discus before buying them. You would also have a chance of bringing over disease, but if it where in a shop you can usually spot the signs of disease. You also have to buy in big amounts which I don't have the space for or the money. But that is just what I think. Mabye I am wrong, if anybody thinks so, please inlighten me and sell me the better solution. ;D

Coetz**

10-02-2002, 09:13 AM
erikiiy, how easy we forget history? Jack Wattley developed the Brilliant Turquoise. Which was distributed all over the world including Asia...

Mike

10-02-2002, 09:45 AM
..... Or the cobalt blues that bing seto shipped by thousands....

gotodiscus
10-02-2002, 11:47 AM
You can import from any parts of the world provided they have the following:

1) up to standard quarantine room.

2) Packing water must be tap water suitable for drinking.

3)Export premise must be clean and dry .

4)Good quality control .

5) Direct flight preferable.

:-\ :-\ :-\

erikiiy
10-02-2002, 06:54 PM
erikiiy, how easy we forget history? Jack Wattley developed the Brilliant Turquoise. Which was distributed all over the world including Asia...

Mike

I told you ahead of time that I honestly don't know if anyone did develope a strain in US or not.

I thought Bing Seto developed the Cobalt Blue in Asia then he moved to US? I could be wrong.

I think if there is enough of discus demand in US, we will see better and more strains.

I guess I kind of got a little off topic.

dogmatix
10-02-2002, 07:38 PM
If i do import them i will be making regular trips to that country to keep a rapore going and inspect stock otherwise no way

Pick
10-02-2002, 09:59 PM
Hey Brew,

How about "would buy them after quarentine by reputable local(continent) breeder"?

TC

erikiiy
10-02-2002, 11:38 PM
Why would you want to do that? If you do that, you are paying someone to QT for you. Anyhow, I am sure most of the breeders will import to sell anyways, I am pretty sure most of them don't breed all of the fish they sell.

Pick
10-03-2002, 08:09 AM
Because if he gets $3000 worth of footballs and gill flukes I don't have to buy any of them or deal with the exporting breeder. You are right, the quarentine is no big deal.

Yes most any breeder doing business for profit instead of breaking even is importing because of demand.

TC

brewmaster15
10-03-2002, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone! Thanks for participating here. Polls can be misleading but I tried to be as straightforward as I could.

Terry I believe , depends on the source covers your question.

would definetly Buy them? 9 (11%)
would not knowingly buy them? 2 (2%)
depends on source? 42 (53%)
prefer locally bred. 26 (32%)

so far out of 79 people polled, 32% prefer locally bred, and 42% would consider the source in their decision. Only 11% said they definetly would buy them.

I think this poll says a lot, or should say a lot to breeders , and importers/exporters about what is a concern to their client base.

If you all get a chance please participate in the next poll I post on prices.....

Thanks again,
al

Rikk
11-11-2002, 06:59 PM
i would take the change if i lived in iceland and there we no breeders

luckely i live in holland and i have choice enough !!!