PDA

View Full Version : Home grown Discus prices

brewmaster15
10-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Hi all,
Just curious to see your preferences here. Do you generally consider this when buying?

Opinions welcome.

-al

DarkDiscus
10-03-2002, 11:07 AM
Al,

I'd always look for top quality fish at decent prices. The 3" fish lets you know what to expect and doesn't cost a ton. There are circumstances I would buy bigger fish at higher prices or a lot of smaller fish at lower prices, too.

I just prefer the 3" range at decent prices.

John

Rick_May
10-03-2002, 11:27 AM
I prefer geting fish at the 1" size and buying 15-20 then culling off the low quality. I also find that having a big group helps them to feed better than a smaller group. I've gotten better growth to 3" by packing 20 1" into a 55 than 6 in a 55.

chuck
10-03-2002, 11:49 AM
I like my fish at 2-2.5 inches, I feel that at that size they're pretty strong and able to fight off most anything that come their way. But the draw back is that you have to buy at least 5 which starts to add up at $35-50 ::)

Best Bet is swapping fry.... ;D

I did go the 1/2 "-1" years ago but didn't have good results..That was because I still didn't know anything and also back then these forums were mostly just fuedin ,"my way is the right and only way" places.. ??? :-[
Nothing like this forum....... :thumbsup::thumbsup:
chuck

djlen
10-03-2002, 01:56 PM
The 2" size seems to be the best to me as I like to see my fish start relatively small and watch them grow. Also, at this point, I wouldn't know a Show quality Discus from an average one(hopefully when I order mine I won't be taken advantage of), and the 2" price seems best for me at this time. Discus are a bit intimidating to me at this point.
djlen

John_Nicholson
10-03-2002, 02:04 PM
I prefer to swap fry to get new blood. I normally start selling my fry at a 2" average. Some might be 2 1/2 some might be 1 1/2 (not counting the tail). I am selling them to cheap though. I am only asking $20 per fish. I normally suggest that the buyer gets a range of sizes so that they do not get all males or all females.

-john

hunterbeav
10-03-2002, 02:36 PM
I like them when there BIG BEAUTFUL AND FREE !!! but seriously I like the small fish like 1 to 1 1/2 in. and grow them out much more fun!!!! :)

Tim_Ellis
10-03-2002, 03:06 PM
I find it interesting that people feel they can grade fish at 2 inches. Alot can happen in 4 inches of growth. Especially color or markings. Seem to me it opens the door for customers to complain about quality/color later. I don't see good color until 3-4 inches if not larger. I personally will not sell until I am sure what the customer will end up with. I am with you John, we are selling way cheaper than the majority. I go with the 10$ an inch not including tail system.

Tim

Surfghost63
10-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Hi guys !

LOL Jim ! It was a good one :thumbsup:

Here in my country if you find a good quality fish in ANY SIZE & PRICE you have to buy it, maybe you won't find another one soon, reality bites :whip:

We are not lucky to have true breeders :'( to choose size and quality.

If I had that choice, I would prefer 3 inchers, JMO

Take Care ,

Bill :guitarist:

10-03-2002, 03:46 PM
I sell them $10.00 per inch excluding the tail regardless the strain. Same price for Canary, Golden ,Red Turk or Leopard. It cost me the same amount of time and effort to raise them to that size. I only want to recover the cost and I don't have too many to sell. Only extra fish. No culls or second best.

Jimmy.

DarkDiscus
10-03-2002, 03:48 PM
Jimmy,

I like your thoughts. Can you send me some fish?

;D

John

10-03-2002, 04:11 PM
Dark: Sorry I don't ship and don't know how. I only have a few to sell to local hobbyists each time after culling 80-90% of each brood and only keep what I want. That why my Cichlids and The flowerhorns comes on handly for culling fish. They are my cullminators.

Jimmy.

April
10-03-2002, 04:18 PM
Jimmy just dont forget Jason and i want your turquoise turquoise and id go for your brown babies too....jason will glady arrange to get them from you.
oh...i shipped.....for my first time and guess what! 32 hours and all alive. not that hard. low ph and a tad of prime 1/3 2water 2/3 oxygen and heat packs and newsprint. and voila fishies swimmingly fine. ;D
hmmm...wonder where you could fine oxygen......... LOL.
you could even fedex them from work as medical supplies.
but ok....i know ...you dont want the hassle.
just make us some babies and we will get them and it'll be all on us to get them home.

EthanCote.com
10-03-2002, 04:27 PM
Hey Jimmy,

What u got for sale now? =)

How do people know if your Discus is Grade A or Grade F? Is there a set standard of grading to find out?

And I'm curious to find out what do people do with all the runts that they find unacceptable for sale? Do you guys killed them? :-X

Seems sorta wasteful and sad, but I can understand why it has to be done.

And if you have to X them, how do you go about doing it painlessly for them?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Chi.

10-03-2002, 11:58 PM
I'll pay top prices. No negotiation, not begging, no out of job excuses, no wife of mine is pregnant, and no B.S.
But it best be what I asked for and exact as the picture.
What irritates me the most is when they will squeeze in one or two duds along with the good ones. In my book, this is bad business and won't ever order again.
I want them to be like peas in a pod.

Good Luck.

Mike_T
10-04-2002, 08:32 AM
Al,

I think the majority of folks here are willing to pay good money for good fish, because they realize the value of starting with top quality stock. I've found that the "general hobbyist" public doesn't want to spend the money for these great/larger fish, and will more often than not opt to buy smaller fish for less. JMO

Mike T 8)

saints27
10-04-2002, 08:36 AM
Ive bought them at all different sizes (and not knowingly all shapes as well) but now i prefer to buy them at close to adult size as i can see exactly what they are supposed to be like.
As well as i am getting impatient and want them to pair off and spawn. lol
Price now is not a concern i just want top quality fish.

Thanks to this forum ive learnt what to look for and what to avoid.

Jamie

Willie
10-04-2002, 05:37 PM
I think its important to buy 8 - 10 fish whenever possible. Then, its a matter of buying the largest size you can afford. Ideally, if you can get 10 3" fish for $40 - $50 a piece, you have an excellent chance of pulling out two good breeding pairs. Breeders/sellers have a good incentive to give you a price break when you buy that many. You can quite often recover the original cost by selling off the unpaired adults individually.

Willie

Kevin
11-02-2002, 10:23 PM
Hey I just got six lepord snakeskin at about four inch size and they all paired off and are laying allready!! They are only four inch but they are doing it. I could not believe it. I hope these pictures will post. Oh yeah, I sell mine for twenty and up at two inch not counting fins. Ok now pictures? What about that pair with the eggs? seventy percent hatched and thats their third spawn. Iknow the glass is a mess but the inside is clean. Thats most of our pairs The greens are shy, and there are a few up in the big tank looking good as display. and a few that are pairing up in a fifty five. Do you like the yellow pigeon scribble? What about the orange pearl? ocean green, or blue diamond? let me know. Every one is laying pretty regular now, I pull most to hand raise.

Kevin
11-02-2002, 10:36 PM
I really don't have the hang of posting pictures yet.

Mike_T
11-05-2002, 05:49 PM
Kevin,

Is it me or are those last discus living in a low-rent district? ;D ;)

Mike T 8)

Kevin
11-06-2002, 01:15 PM
Mike, I know the paint job isin't the best. Their water is good, they lay fine, eat well, get plenty of TLC. They have the whole basement. They don't seem to mind. I am buying some mors tanks that have a sky blue color sceme. That should make them feel like they are in a swimming pool. Any suggestions on colors of paint?

BLUEKNIGHT
11-06-2002, 02:47 PM
I just go by the theory you get what u pay for and this especailly is true in the discus buisness. ;D

Rikk
11-08-2002, 06:15 PM
i only wanne buy big fish so you know what you have and at a reasonable price

in holland we can now get a full grow fish for 51 euro
that should be about 50 dollar for wilds

reds, blues and turks would cost 75 euro
so for that price i´´ll do not take a risk

and with big I means big !!
for more pictures see the picture department in here
i postet about 40 pics today

Mike_T
11-12-2002, 03:30 PM
Kevin, just giving you a hard time about the algae on the glass! you should see the paint on my tanks! ;)

Mike T 8)

PARCS46
03-25-2003, 03:06 AM
Hi John: Do you have any fish ready for sale, if so I'm looking for Red Marlboro or Red Royal Blue juvies, your prices are reasonable. Hope we can work something out. Where are you located? I'm in Astoria, NY: Thanks Much. Sincerely, 8) 8) (Discus Devil)

seadude
01-03-2004, 03:18 AM
I sold all my 1" baby (include tail) to the local fish stores for $3 a piece. I started 5 months ago and it's been really popular. My PB pair has been producing ~150 frys/month. Feed back from the local fish stores are very positive. There are alot of reorder. All I ask in return from the local fish store is that they have to sell them cheap. One of the fish store in tigard jack up the price too high and I don't sell my fish to them anymore (they sell it for $29.95) unless I have some ugly left over.

It's been fun...

bryalk1
06-03-2004, 10:35 PM
hi,
imo there are several variables that i take into responding. first is the breeder and my experience with them, am i getting runts or a good chance at good fish. the price comparison of the various sizes, if a full size is not much more than a smaller fish why not take the larger thant is a known. there are some that i can't afford the larger fish eg spotted eruption just as an example. another is do i need the fish to complete a pair. wha t are my goals for the fish etc. i could go on and on are they a stable line . enopugh already.
bryant

Multiclone
06-05-2004, 09:24 PM
I like to see what I am going to buy. Only A grade. My view is it takes the same amount of time to look after A grade fish as it is to look after "lesser" grades. So I buy the best I can find. I am patient and I will wait and look for months until I find what I want. As for size bigger the better and then I buy 6, I buy 3 of the largest and the other 3 are slighly smaller, this has never failed to produce pairs. I will buy smaller if absolutely nescessary but nothing smaller than 2" and even then I am very hesitant. The prices usually range between $50 and $300 per fish usually around the $120.
Quality is everthing to me.

Geoff