PDA

View Full Version : Would like to see Blue Pandas

DavidH
10-03-2002, 12:04 PM
If anyone has pics of blue pandas, would love to see them.

Thx Dave

10-03-2002, 05:18 PM
me too....i seem to remember seeing them and liking them, but i have no idea what they look like and I'm thinking of getting some from Mike in a few months

DavidH
10-03-2002, 07:00 PM
Hey Brad,
where are you, I live in Fayetteville. I also have bought fish from Tim at usdiscus. I heard you purchased a couple the other day. What did you buy?
I bought some goldens from him over a year ago.
I bought 5 and have two pair trying to develop.
I bought two, what he called new turks a couple of months ago and she's laying and he's fertilizing, but they eat after about 36hrs. They are really beautiful. I'm going to mesh the eggs this time.
Have you been to his lately, anything new?
Is it Mike Wells that has blue pandas?
Dave

breed_beyond
10-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Mike Wells has blue panda's but there are no pic on his website.

keno
10-03-2002, 10:07 PM
Here's my blue panda from Wattley's at about 7 mos.

Ken

arvind
10-04-2002, 11:52 AM
hey, u have some beautiful fihes in the tank..

whats the size of your tank?

its really nice to look at?

regards
arvind

Tad
10-04-2002, 01:38 PM
What is a blue panda a cross of?

Thanks,
Tad

jeep
10-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Dave- Here's a link to some pics I posted a few weeks ago. I'm not good with a camera yet, but they are blue panda's.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=2536

Brian

korbi_doc
10-04-2002, 09:29 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Brian, those blue pandas of yours look violet!! Is that their real color?? If so, would I love some of those!! I've got Wattleys red pandas, love 'em, real colorful, but like the others, I'm not sure what the blues should look like as adults!!!
Ken, is the marking changing on yours? The body looks like a blue diamond. Can't wait to see what he'll look like soon! Nice Fish...... Dottie 8) 8) 8)

DavidH
10-05-2002, 12:31 AM
I love the violet look, not much into white.
Is it how the light hits them.
Beautiful fish.

Dave

RandalB
10-05-2002, 12:58 AM
Here you go.... Wattley blue pandas from Jeff's discus in Chicago about 3"

RandalB

jeep
10-05-2002, 01:24 AM
Hi Dottie. Yes the colors are true. It depends upon the lighting and their mood. They change from pure white (with peppering) to blue, to purple, to turquise, to lavender etc... Again, depending upon the lighting and mood...

I though they were quite ugly as juvies and I was quite dissapointed until they started maturing, but they are really quite spectacular. I ordered them from Gabe based upon the red panda photo without seeing a real specimen or photo and I am very happy with what I ended up with with.

Enjoy!!! :) :) :)

Brian

10-05-2002, 08:13 AM
Are the Blue Panda and White butterfly the same fish?

Jimmy.

jeep
10-05-2002, 09:25 AM
I have no idea. Since Gabe and Jack say they only sell their own strains, the blue panda could be the same as a white butterfly but with a different name!!!!!!!!

10-05-2002, 09:32 AM
I think White Pigeon, White butterfly, white diamond and Blue Panda are the same fish. Just different names. They look the same to me. I got all the different fish when I cross a white Pigeon to a blue diamond. The fry with peppers on their back is what they call a blue Panda. Am I wrong?. Please enlighten me.
Jimmy.

jeep
10-05-2002, 09:47 AM
I know that all of my pandas have peppering with zero red spots even though the pictures on Gabes site shows zero peppering with lots of red spots. Gabe also told me the blue panda is a cross with a pigeon blood, but I don't know what it is crossed with. Very well could be a blue diamond.

The peppering on my fish varies from fish to fish. I've noticed that the fish with the less peppering shows the most colors. Unfortunately my fish with the least peppering is an egg eatin' SOB (Eesob). I wish I could get him over his addiction to eggs. He would be a great breeder for quality fry... I have another blue panda that really wants to be a good dad, but he is covered with pepper and has no color. A cull! Therefore, even though I want to have my first successful batch, I don't give him the right water paramiters for fry to hatch.

Here's another pic of Eesob without the good light. Very white...

10-05-2002, 10:48 AM
Jeep: That's a nice healthy EESOB. Take him out before he start eating eggs. He's definitely a male. I've crossed a BD and a Malboro Red female. Here is the result. Maybe I should call them a F1 Red Panda.
http://photo.msn.s8.com/MS8zLzAvMS8xMDMwLzE1NS8zMi84SG13RDkxRDd6cGlHTkFqc3 d0dFZR/d249ba827626c40581a085353f5de5a4/clbk=HcZNnT9kkUgHBnZCLqii7Obzja1Hrc8Zm2HGa5Jd2Gsd4 dRqLZMQ85RdKOD*RuJiS!D4cymzRWQ$/jpg.jpgURL

He is a non-Essob. cute I like that name. He's just simply stupid. A Hsob (Horny)that fetilizes anythng in sight even before the female start laying eggs.
http://photo.msn.s8.com/MS8zLzAvMS8xMDMwLzE1NS8zMi9GX25IRGx6dUl5WUJRSDhGdX N6d1p3/f8b0780f93fc6f20da4a581ba9e05631/clbk=HcZNnT9kkUgHBnZCLqii7Obzja1Hrc8ZZ39wYXauxbG!w OVm5eX7lHrLZyCMRDdgBe*B2oY5Yqw$/jpg.jpgURL

10-05-2002, 10:57 AM
Wow Jimmy..that's a big 'ole healthy looking fish..Very pretty.

jeep
10-05-2002, 10:57 AM
Wow, Jimmy nice fish! I'd like to have some of those...

I think Speck (Eesobs woman) figured out what he's really after and has not layed eggs in about 2 months now. I am getting another tank soon so I can separate them and maybe re-introduce them after he matures a little more. He's just barely 1 year old but about 6" long and an absolute PIG. We've become buddy's again since Speck quit laying eggs.

10-05-2002, 11:30 AM
That's explain why. He's too young. Give him time to prove himself. Actually it's good Speck quit laying eggs. I found out. it is habit forming. After a few times. Some of them will become a (CHRONIC)Ceesob.

Jimmy.

jeep
10-05-2002, 12:01 PM
Too funny ;D

BJ
10-05-2002, 02:12 PM
Hi everyone!

I bought some Blue Pandas from Gabe last February. They are about a year old now. It seems that there is not much consistency in the Blue Panda's look. So, if one were to buy Blue Pandas would it be safe to say that they are generallly white discus with different degrees of blue??

Ben

jeep
10-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Wow, that one on the right sure does have a lot of pepper (is it pepper or color?).

Mine are all pretty much the same except one. They all are white and take on shades of blue, terq and lavender, again depending on the light. Basically, you're correct...

My bowfront tank has lighting that really brings out the different colors, but my 55g has lighting that makes them all seem white with very little coloring.

BJ
10-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Hi Jeep,

All 4 Blue Pandas I have look exactly like these. I have a pair of Blue Pandas that have spawned once. Unfortunately, all the eggs were eaten in the community tank. So, these two are now separated from the main tank. If they spawn successfully, it would be interesting to see how the offspring will look. Maybe a combo of pure whites and speckled guys??

Ben.

Wolf
10-05-2002, 02:47 PM
I hate to bad mouth Wattley but a local store here orders his dicus and sells them for $90-$140 a peice. It's funny to go in there and check them out. Half are total footballs and the other half have a lot of peppering. I though he sent out quality fish but from what I've seen in person and on the web there are better breeders out there. I wasn't impressed at all by 95% of the fish I've seen from his shipments. The other 5% look good but way too many culls in those shipments I've seen. Maybe they are getting the B grade fish and selling them. I mean they are increasing the price 200% on the fish they get from Wattley. Either way they aren't doing themselves or the breeder a service by seling these fish that should be culled for $100.

breed_beyond
10-05-2002, 03:29 PM
BJ, where did you get your blue panda's from? I love the color and there over all appearance.....Oh btw I'm talking about the ones in the last picture you posted, are those form gabe too?

RandalB
10-05-2002, 03:35 PM
Wolf,
Ask your LFS if they have the Wattley's certificates for the fish they are selling. I understand you can purchase lower grade fish for cheaper from them but they won't certify them. This is probably what your LFS is doing. Look at the ones I posted previously. Those are 3" from Wattley with certificates. Pure white/blue with no pepper and a lot less than $140.00 too.

RandalB

10-05-2002, 04:29 PM
Hey Dave,
I'm in SE Charlotte. I bought 3 fish from Tim about a month and a half ago: a 5" SS x Leopard (at least he said it was, it looks like a blue ss to me...), a blue ss 2.5", and a 2" pigeon blood. The two smaller fish have grown like crazy and the Small SS is the best shaped young fish i've ever seen. He was in the Variety tank and was only $12 too... the pigeon was $9 and the SS was half off...$60. I thought it a decent deal. The big fish just paired up with a blue cobalt so i'll see how that goes. What fish did you get from him and how many fish/tanks do you have? I'm about to make an order from Cary at GLD, if you want to get some fish to cut down on the shipping, 2 other people are already ordering with me. He's giving us a special deal on one strain, i'll tell u about it in an e-mail.
Brad

jeep
10-05-2002, 04:57 PM
I tend to agree with Randall. Gabe is highly respected and knows the business from the person who started the business. It could be that the lfs is buying from someone who claims the stock is Wattely, or it could be that they are requesting culls at a lower price (does that even happen???). I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but my order (along with a friend) was for 12 fish and only one cull (that looked perfect as a juvie).

However, the Blue Panda is not what I expected, but then again, I ordered without seeing what I was getting. I was thinking a blue version Red Panda.

BJ, those fish are absolutely nothing like mine. How old are they? My one fish that I consider to be a cull looks more like those but not blue, just peppered. Will he turn blue with age? He's just barely 1 year old...

Brian

BJ
10-05-2002, 09:47 PM
Hi Jeep.
I guess there does not seem to be a "standard" to the Blue Panda Strain. Regardless, I was pleased with the fish I received from Gabe at Wattley's. They have grown to be beautiful fish. I also ordered Red Pandas from him as well.

Here's the Blue -n- Red Pandas. It's incredible to see such contrasting looking fish from the Pigeon Blood Strain.

Ben

jeep
10-05-2002, 10:47 PM
Ben, Looks like you're right. I do have the one that looks more like yours and I considered him to be a cull just because he is different than the others. But after seeing yours, I guess he's not a cull, he's just different. Maybe it's time to let him do his job...

jeep
10-05-2002, 10:50 PM
By the way, it looks like Eesob and Speck are going at it as I type. We'll see if a two month layoff has changed his attitute to eggs... I doubt it.

Wish us luck!

jeep
10-05-2002, 11:14 PM
Nope, Eesob is just an EESOB!!!

fcdiscus
10-06-2002, 12:06 AM
Brian, Have you tried him with a different female? I have one who was a great breeder- his mate died and every female I put him with he chases around or eats her eggs. Sometimes they are like people and just do not want a certain mate. Frank

jeep
10-06-2002, 12:17 AM
My plan is to get another tank and keep him by himself for awhile until he gets a little older. Maybe then I can switch females. I know patience is the best thing, but not having my first successful spawn is making my hair fall out.

I managed to keep him away from most of the eggs this time and then I screened them even though I know they are not fertile. Can you teach a young fish new tricks???

Before I found this site I thought that if the females were ready the male were too. I now know that a 1 year old male may just not be ready yet in both maturity and ability.

It'll happen some day 8)

Brian

BJ
10-06-2002, 03:17 AM
Hi Brian,

I wish you much luck. You're farther ahead than I am. My pair has spawned only once in the community tank. I don't think they've tried to spawn in the tank of their own yet & it's been over a month. I may have moved them out of their comfortable home too abruptly.

With a lil patience and methods of protecting the eggs: Screening, artificial hatching, or just plain time for those two to figure things out, I think you'll have an interesting batch of Discus.

Keep us posted!!

Ben

jeep
10-06-2002, 11:56 AM
I think the main thing I should do is get him away from Speck. I don't think a true bond ever developed. She just started laying eggs in his presence so I thought I had a pair. I've since learned otherwise. Like I said, he's only a year old... Too young!!!

I think I'll put him in a new 29g by himself (or her) for a month or two and try my other female with him even though she is doing quit well with my other blue panda male. At least he tries to fertalize.

This is quite the learning experience for all, huh???

10-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Jeep: Don't punish him. He is not old enough to crown the title EESOB yet. Leave him in the big tank. He'll figure it out. Blue Panda needs more time to mature. What happen if your parents lock you up in your closet when you're only12 years old and never let you see another girl. That's cruel. Your Blue Panda will look at you someday when he sees you and your family eating boiled or scramble eggs." you 're the real EESOB. not me". HEHEHE

Jimmy.

10-06-2002, 01:12 PM
BTW S.O.B. stands for someting else in my profession. I often use it uder Diagnosis. Some patient didn't like what I put down. " What're you calling me"?. "Aren't you come to see me for your Shortness Of Breath."

Jimmy.

discuslover3172
10-06-2002, 01:19 PM
I have 1 discus look the same as this but dunno izzit blue panda anot.Have not take the pic yet.If have pic then i will post it

Edwin

jeep
10-06-2002, 01:55 PM
Maybe you're right, I never thought of it as punishment. It's just that I can't put him in with my other male. The last time I did that, Eesob was almost D.O.A. It was a discus battle like I have never seen before. The other male, Pepper, actually tried flipping Eesob out of the tank because he was very attracted to Peppers gal.

I just didn't want him to come to think of eggs as a nothing other than a treat. I hope he snaps out of it. He sure is a nice fish...

10-06-2002, 02:37 PM
Jeep: sometimes EE can be caused by internal worms or parasites. A friend of mine dropped a beautiful and massive Scopian SS in my tank and demanded I train him to breed or he'll either shoot the EESOB or me. He was so frustrated to the point of murdering his fish. Sure enough he's a real EEsob. I cleaned him up with Minocycline/tetracycline. Before I completely drain all medicated water out. The female spawned and to my surprise I have over 200 wrigglers now. I'll let him learn how to carry fry and he'll return to his owner and everybody live happyily ever after. I suggest let him grow a little bit, clean him up before trying again.

Jimmy.

jeep
10-06-2002, 03:00 PM
Excellent point. I had heard that before but forgot. I'll give you conditions and please tell me what you think:

Water: 84f
Parameters are NOT ideal for breeding until I get indication of attempted success (TDS 220+ (should I go ahead and lower TDS at this time???)
pH: 6.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
kH 2

Food: Mainly beefheart mixture with color bits (they don't really like them but will peck at them and clean them up if left long enough)
Feces: Dark, solid and short pieces with no indication of irregularities that I can tell.
Water change: 50% every three days because only 2 fish in a 55g.

They used to be quite a bit fatter than they are now, but since giving them their own tank, all my discus have reduced appitites (lack of competition?). By no means are they skinny, though. They never seem to eat enough to get a bulging stomach, but they do eat everything I give them (4-6 times a day). Again, he has never even attempted to fertilize. He just sits there and eats them as she lays them.

My other male has only been involved in a spawning three times, which would be about 6 months after Eesob. Every time, he fertilizes (at least appears to) and then eats the eggs soon after the female is done. Water in their tank is the same except TDS is 80, pH is 6.2, kH is 2 (due to addition of baking soda).

Thanks for any advise,

Brian

P.S. You sound like quite the trainer...

10-06-2002, 11:03 PM
Jeep: Feed then Blood worms exclusively. You'll see a fat belly. They love blood worms. I like to use PH-5.8-6.0 for PB strain. Conductivity 100-140ms. I usually train them with 30% R/O just to induce spawning activities.and decrease the conductivity on each successive spawn until I see eggs turning black and have a few wrigglers. If he's EESOB. I'll use an old experience female who can control him and teach him the right ways. Actually you can start training him now , but don't lose any sleep everytime they lay eggs. Sooner or later he will adjust himself.HTH

Jimmy.

jeep
10-07-2002, 02:50 PM
Jimmy, is there a way to measure conductivity other than with a meter? I know "TDS" is a blanket term and really tells nothing about the true content of the water.

So far I have just relied upon RO water to reduce TDS and then add tap and a little baking soda to raise kH. I know baking soda contains sodium and therefore will probably raise conductivity so I am considering using crushed coral intead.

Frozen bloodworms do nothing for my fish. I guess they are addicted to beef heart. I'll give it another try, though.

Thanks for all your advise!!! I'm sure others appreciate it as well.

Edwin: go ahead and post the pics when you get a chance!!! Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the name "Blue Panda" was only from Wattely...

daninthesand
12-27-2002, 11:48 AM
sorry but i am really late in viewing this post. You want blue panda pix. This is the breeding pair of blue pandas that I took photos of in the wattely Hatchery about a year ago.

Daniel

12-27-2002, 05:50 PM
Those blue pandas must have a lot of white diamond blood in them. They don't look as blue as some others that I've seen, but still are quite nice fish indeed.

jeep
12-27-2002, 05:55 PM
From what I gather the Blue Panda is not a very clean fish. Lots of peppering is frequent. The more desirable ones are less peppered. Those look like two out of four of mine with one being almost pure white. The colors they display are very nice though...

Willie
12-28-2002, 12:40 PM
A White Butterfly is essentially a very clean Blue Panda. Gabe mentioned that their hatchery developed the Blue Panda about 5 years ago, but it was not a popular strain. They sold a batch to Universal Discus, which made some selections for clean fish and renamed them as White Butterfly. They sold like crazy and Gabe is still shaking his head about it. As you can see, though, the Blue Panda pair at Wattley's are also very clean fish.

Willie

12-28-2002, 12:48 PM
They are beautiful!

12-28-2002, 02:57 PM
Cary told me that his blue pandas are acutally white diamonds crossed w/ BDs and the peppering is blue, not black, if i remember correctly.

daninthesand
12-28-2002, 04:16 PM
The picture above from Wattely's hatchery is indeed not as blue as I remember them. The flash seems to have brought out the green more so than the blue. If my memory serves me right, the fish are more like a powderblue than the picture shows. The picture really does not do these fish justice.

If you look at this new picture and see the fish at the top right corner, that is closer to what the colour of these fish looks like. Again the flash on the centre fish brings out the green. And I clearly remember seeing no peppering whatsoever on these fish. Unfortunately there were no blue panda babies or juvies in stock at the time, so I could not judge how the offspring of this pair would turn out. No guarantees unless you see pix of the actual fish you are buying and even then photo colours can differ from the true look of the fish. This is as much due to the flash, your colour temperature of your monitor, many things are possible. Unscrupulous breeders could even doctor any fishes colours with software and you'd never know until you got the fish.

It all boils down to who do you trust. Word of mouth is a powerful thing....especially on this forum!

Daniel

Scubaboy
12-28-2002, 08:56 PM
Hey Guys ! All the Blue Pandas are very very nice ! RandalB, your Panda and mine are from the same place. I bought a Blue Panda the day that we meat each other. I was with my girl that day and we bought 2 different fish that day. Tha Blue Panda, the White Snowflake and the Rose Red. I don't happen to agree with the gentleman that stated that White Butterflys White Snowflakes and Ble Pandas are all the same fish. There are obvious diffrences in all 3 strains. Color, shape of fins and eye colors are not the same in these strains. George

12-29-2002, 01:49 AM
White Snowflake is an entirely different strain that is the result of much inbreeding. The Blue Panda is the result of a White Diamond (or White Butterfly, if you prefer) crossed with a Blue Diamond. Selective breeding of the fry produces the blue diamond. HTH
Brad

Scubaboy
12-29-2002, 02:57 PM
Here is a Whattley that I bought from Jeff in Chicago Ridge.

12-29-2002, 03:12 PM
Now That I can believe is a white butterfly.

Liz_Streithorst
12-29-2002, 06:34 PM
Hummm, nobody has posted pisc anything like the Blue Panda I got from Gabe. I gues I shouldn't have told him that I was a newbie when I ordered, sigh.

Liz_Streithorst
12-29-2002, 06:42 PM
This is a White Butterfly that I got from Cary. I like him better when I just think of him as a PB. I'm not trashing Cary. This fish was quite young when I bought him and I believe that the strain is yellow striated when young. unfortunatly, this one didn't clear up as he matured. I LOVE this strain when they are very white with just a bit of striation. I guess I just need to buy older fish next time.

Liz

12-30-2002, 01:36 AM
Liz,
I don't know if this will make you feel better, but that's what all the Blue Pandas I've seen from Gabe looked like. I think he just hasn't gotten the peppering out yet, or isn't going to. I didn't know some white butterflies turned out like that though.

Brad

RandalB
12-30-2002, 01:43 AM
I think that one Scubaboy posted is from Gabe. It looks pretty clean.

Liz, Have you tried contacting the breeders with your complaints about the fish? Might be that something can be done.

RandalB

Liz_Streithorst
12-30-2002, 11:06 AM
I don't really have any complaints. These were the first fish I ever ordered. I was ignorant about discus enough to think that all Blue Pandas and White Butterflys look like the ones in the pictures. I didn't tell the breeders that I wanted clean round fish with red eyes. You see my backlground is in dogs where there is enormous genetic deversity. Still a St. Bernard looks like a St. Bernard and a Poodle looks like a Poodle and you don't get the 2 confused nor are you able to get from one to the other in a few generations of breeding. With discus, the strains (breeds in dogs) all look like Discus but there is A LOT of variation in color and a good bit in shape. The majority of that order from Cary matured very nicely. I have ordered from him since, was more specific in what I wanted and have received very nice fish.

Liz

Wolf
01-02-2003, 02:57 AM
Liz dont feel bad. The LFS that sells Wattleys around here look just like your fish but at least yours is round. I think that that is probably the least desirable fish I've ever seen from Cary but when you buy them young your gambling a bit.

Scubaboy
01-03-2003, 01:25 AM
Greetings to all, The Blue Panda that I posted a pic of is definetly just that, A Blue Panda. I was at Jeffs in Chicago Ridge and he also had some White Butterflys. One could see the diffrence right away. The Blue Pandas have sort of a violet hue about them when you look at them from an angle. The White Butterflys are all white with some red streaks in them. Just my thoughts on the whole Blue Panda, White Butterfly thing. :juggle: :noway: :wave:

01-03-2003, 10:51 AM
Check out my [late] Xmas present - a pair of these babies. This is one of the actual fish. I'm going to pee in my pants. They still aren't finished growing yet either. Tell me these beauts aren't clean... ;D ;D ;D

jeep
01-03-2003, 11:12 AM
Very nice! Is that technically a Blue Panda or one of the other names we've seen here? You can see the lavendar color it's putting off. My best BP has very little peppering but looks very much like yours. Under the right lighting conditions they put on a real color show...

Just a guess, from Cary?

Scubaboy
01-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Hey Brad, Now That IS a beauty. Love the color and shape. Very nice indeed. They do put on quite a color show don't they. Mine changes from sort of Violet to Blue then back to kind of W :thumbsup: :wave:hite , you get the idea. Nice Nice

BJ
01-03-2003, 01:50 PM
I just wanted to post a few recent pics of some of my Blue Pandas.

BJ
01-03-2003, 01:52 PM
With my camera's flash, could these pass for Green Pandas?? 8-)

BJ
01-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Last one for now...

01-03-2003, 02:00 PM
From experience, I think environment has alot to do with peppering on a PB based fish....I've seen fish(my own and other people's) that are dirty in one tank, and then perfectly clean in another tank within days....I've also noticed fish that are cleaner when the lights first come on in the morning...
Someone else on the forum, I believe it was John Kwek, mentioned that he only uses lights of very low wattage for some of his fish to keep them free of peppering...
I would imagine if you kept a PB based fish in a planted tank(high wattage lights for plants) you would get alot of peppering regardless of the caliber of fish...

01-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Yes, those are Cary's right now, but I'm buying a mated pair from him. I think he created his on his own by crossing white diamond with blue diamond and then doing a little selective breeding. He said they'd throw some blue diamonds and white diamonds in each brood along with the majority - blue pandas. He told me the peppering on these fish is actually blue, so there would never be any black peppering even if they were in a place where peppering would show up more.

jeep
01-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Just want to understand something. If Cary crosses a White Diamond with a Blue Diamond, you have a possibility of peppering? Gabe told me the Blue Panda is a P-Blood cross, which is where the peppering comes from. Is the White Diamond a PB cross? or is Cary developing his own personal Blue Panda?

Too many names and too many strains for me to keep up...

01-03-2003, 03:32 PM
white diamond is a pigeon-based fish

01-03-2003, 03:33 PM
it's also called a white butterfly by some

Ryan
01-03-2003, 05:26 PM
I'll step in here. Names are difficult because everyone has a different name for everything. This blue panda thread is a perfect example. There are some fish that are more widely known by their common names (blue diamond, marlboro red, red turquoise) but for the most part, anyone can slap any name on a discus and sell it.

Cary's version of "white diamonds" if I'm not mistaken were pigeon-based whites that were crossed with blue diamonds somewhere along the way. Cary, step in here if I'm wrong.

"White butterflies" on the other hand are pigeon-based whites that to my knowledge do not have blue diamond in them, leaving you with a fish that is much more pigeon blood-like in appearance.

Ryan

jeep
01-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Ryan, are there non-PB based white fish?

I love the Blue hue on a white fish, but being PB based I would assume you get about 90%+ fry with peppering, which I am not a fan of...

01-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Snowflakes aren't pigeon based. They're albino though and won't get quite as big as other discus.

Carol_Roberts
01-04-2003, 03:34 AM
Snowflakes are a nonPB based white discus with white eyes. I believe they are derive from browns. They are not a true, pink-eyed albino.

Carol :heart1:

01-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Is having pink eyes part of the true definition of albino? I didn't know that. I've heard people call them that before and just assumed it was so because there definately appears to be no pigmentation in the body. Pink eyes would really be cool though. Definately a lot of inbreeding used to create those fish!

Liz_Streithorst
01-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Brad. I hate you :P pthhhhhh. No kidding, though...super nice fish. I thought I recognized the photo as one that cary had posted in another thread not too long ago. Let me know when you get fry. If I have space, I'll be interested. You're a lucky guy :-*

Liz

Willie
01-04-2003, 12:04 PM
Brad;

I can confirm Carol's comment. Albinos, by definition, must have pink eyes. Snowflakes are produced by selecting for Browns with a colorless gene. They have black eyes.

I've seen some large albinos, but they were not attractive fish. Instead of a pink color, as you see in snowflakes, they look more yellowish.

Willie

Ryan
01-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Any true albino animal lacks normal pigmentation, which is why albino animals normally have red eyes (due to the absence of black pigment). This goes for non-fish species too, even humans. Albinos do have other forms of pigment though and may have shades of yellow, red, etc. If you've seen albino guppies they often have lots of red and yellow on them. Also, plants that lack chlorophyll are called 'albino' as well.

Having said that, snowflakes are not albino, though they do lack much of their pigment. These are non pigeon-based fish that, as mentioned earlier, came from selectively bred brown discus. In fact, a couple breeders told me that when you breed snowflakes together, you get a small percentage of brown fry :) They've also been used to breed these "red white" and "yellow white" strains that are cropping up on Aquabid.

Does anyone have discus pictures of true albinos? I think someone posted them a while back?

Ryan

RandalB
01-05-2003, 09:16 PM
I've never even heard of an Albino discus. I'd love to see a pic!

RandalB