PDA

View Full Version : How Long before your sure ?

larry lob
10-08-2002, 01:18 PM
Hello all,

My 2 red turks (pics on genral discusion somewhere) last night started vibrating at eachother in the corner of the tank and vigorously pecking at the glass. I assume this to be the begginings of mating they were at it a good hour or so and then wandered off looking for food, so i fed them some blood worm. they then seemed to go off the boil and now and then shaked eachother into cleaning the spot, they then decided to clean the internal filter near the glass they were cleaning. again they lost intrest, going and coming every so often but with no ergency. it was definatly part of a mating ritual as each egged the other onto cleaning, they kept the other fish in the tank away and then didn't bother chasing them any more. i became dispondant around midnight and went to bed.

did they give up? will they continue for a few days then lay? or was that it? if anyone has any input i would appreciate it.

Larry

:love:

fcdiscus
10-08-2002, 01:30 PM
Patience Larry. Sounds like you are doing everything right. It will happen. Frank

david34
10-08-2002, 04:53 PM
Boy, I wish I have that kind of pair in my tank. I have 9 of them and they're
fighting each other all the time. Good for you Larry. You are lucky. :)

10-08-2002, 07:13 PM
I've found that sometimes they'll peck and clean for a day or two before the day they lay eggs, so just keep your schedule normal with them. Try a large water change, dropping the temp 2 degrees, and feeding lots of bloodworms, as people have foung these to egg on breeding. HTH and good luck!
Brad

larry lob
10-09-2002, 05:04 AM
hi and thanks,

Short update, last night again they were pecking away at the glass but more dedicated tonight. the female made a few practise runs swiming up the glass belly dragging against it slowly upwards as if stuck to the glass like a magnet... i thought this was it and turned the internal filter off to stop the flow drawing the sperm from the eggs as the male would follow to fertalise but it was just a dry run so i turned everything back on lol.
it's typical that the one i thought was the male turned out to be the female! her laying tube has now extended 3 times it's length!!! and is 100% female, just like a 1.5 mill diamiter by 3 mill long clear tube, again they lost intrest late in the night but they are definatly male and female! however they are young 13 months.

i don't expect them to get it right for a few attempts but it would be nice to see if the male is fertile with some feralised eggs before i move them to a tank of thier own.
the male has a tube about 1.5 mill long tapering to a point.

does anyone know if the male extends his tube when mating?

Larry

:love:

fcdiscus
10-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Hey Larry- You sound like my wife! That is extended! Frank

larry lob
10-10-2002, 04:26 AM
Frank................

to be frank......................poor man............poorer wife ..................... poor off spring
LOL

Larry

saints27
10-11-2002, 06:29 AM
Larry
My blue diamond pair pecked the cone for 4 days as well as having breeding tubes down for the same length of time , I was beginning to wonder when they were going to get it on .Then i noticed that the female was pecking the cone and then darting towards the side of the tank to try and scare away the pair in the next tank, I put a piece of cardboard inbetween the two tanks and they laid half an hour later.
She just didnt like an audience

Jamie

Coetz
10-11-2002, 06:40 AM
Hey Larry,
I'm in the same boat as you. I just bought a breeding pair of Red_Turquoise, and am wait for them to do something, I know that they have spawned 3 times in the fish shop where I work, amoungst about 10 other discus :o which means they are very determined to get it on. ;D Hope you have luck with yours. C ya

Coetz**

Discusgeo
10-11-2002, 07:33 AM
Take your time guy's the discus will come around when they are ready. I have a young pair of Blue Diamonds that spawned twice now but the eggs were always eaten by the next morning. I will give them the experience of spawning in the tank that holds there room mates one more time before moving them into there own 29 gallon tank. I feel they need to learn to fend off any intruders before moving them. So if my timeing is right in 10 days they will spawn again and then I will remove the eggs to see if they were fertile.
George

Tin Pusher
11-25-2002, 01:39 AM
I hate soap opera that leaves you hanging! What happened? Did they spawn? My Tangerine Dreams are doing the same things that you described. I am new to this so all I know is what I read so please let us know what happened.

Tin Pusher
11-25-2002, 02:14 AM
While searching this forum looking for information on "are my fish breeding" my fish were breeding. I was literally reading about dry runs when I looked over and thought hey they are doing dry runs, cool. Then I continued to watch and thought that these look too real to be dry runs so I got up and on closer inspections noticed hundreds of eggs all over one side of the flower pot. Time 10pm or Zero hour or T-55 hours (Read that eggs hatch in 55 hours). Updates to follow. See post "My first spawn"