PDA

View Full Version : Singapore/Penang Trip Report (long)

goldengatediscus
10-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Hello Everyone:
Since I posted some pics on the photo gallery (weekend pics), I’ve received a few requests for a trip report, so here it is.........

In May, I visited discus farms in Singapore and Malaysia. In Thailand, it was strictly r and r. It is wonderful to see that a number of people that I met, Jonathan and Connie Teh, Chai Koon Seng, and Lee Tong Juan won prizes for their fish at the Duisburg show. Congratulations to them!

After a 19 hour journey from San Francisco on the world’s best airline, Singapore Airlines, I was extremely happy to be in hot and humid Singapore. But, I still had a long layover, and another 1 hour flight to Penang. Upon arrival in Penang, I was met by Jonathon and Connie Teh. My gracious hosts spent the next 2 days driving me around to various breeders. I saw facilities that had 1000 tanks, to smaller operations with 50 tanks. Some were in a warehouse, and others were in the covered backyard of a person’s home. Since the temperature outside is consistently in the high 80’s or low 90’s, there is no need for any heaters, unless the fish are sick. They change close to 100% of the water daily, some tanks had sponge filters, but most just had an airstone. I saw some very beautiful fish, a lot of spotted varieties, leopards, leopard snakeskin crosses, blue diamonds, yellows (but they were sick, so I didn’t buy any), snow whites, white/yellows, white/reds, and some of the cleanest pigeons that I have ever seen. For various reasons, I did not visit some of the larger, more well known breeders, but I was very pleased with the people that I met.

I was told that many discus breeders had cut back on their discus production to increase production of Luo Han or Flower Horn, a type of cichlid that is very popular in Asia. Since I saw one that had just been sold for US$1500, I can understand the breeders’ desire to capitalize on the current trend. In fact, at one farm, I saw a small Luo Han in every discus tank! Will the Luo Han become popular in the US? Personally, I don’t think so. They grow too big, too territorial and just too ugly. Plus, much of it’s current popularity has to do with the markings that appear on the side of the fish. A very desirable fish will have markings that look like Chinese characters that have a favorable phrase or word.

Back in Singapore, I took the MRT (Mass Rapid Transport System) to the station closest to the breeders that I wanted to visit. From there, I took a taxi to the various farms. Singapore is not very big, but some farms (Discus Connexion) were way on the other side of the island from See Cheow San, and it did take some time to get around. I had a wonderful visit with Lee Tong Juan, grand champion winner of last year’s Aquarama in Singapore. I saw Chai Koon Seng’s fish that won the French competition a few months ago. In Singapore, the fish were more expensive, but I found my Red Melons and solid yellow fish.

I traveled on my own in Malaysia and met up with my husband in Singapore. He came on one farm visit with me in Singapore, but I visited the others on my own. Everyone speaks English in Singapore, and it is safe and easy to travel around as a single woman. In Penang, I was glad to be taken around by a local, because unless you speak Bahasa Malay, I think that it is extremely difficult to locate the various breeders.

All the breeders that I visited feed their fish a beefheart mix with astaxanthin color enhancers and live worms. All realized the dangers of hormones (CR6), and claim not to use any. The breeders keep the best specimens for their own breeding, and , most of the spotted fish are only separated into the different grades when they are about 3 inches in size. If you are buying 2 inch or smaller spotted fish, then it’s hit or miss to the quality of the spots, as they have not all come in at this early age. I think that it is unfair to say that Asian breeders only send their culls and low quality fish to the US. They have high quality fish, but they cost more. If a US importer wants the lowest price, they will get lower quality fish. Pay more, and you will get higher quality fish. As typical in Asia, many transactions depend on relationships. Meeting a person, getting to know and trust them will probably result in getting better fish, than if you are an anonymous email order. In at least 2 farms, I did not buy fish, because the breeder told me that another importer had just come through a week prior, and picked out all the top quality fish. The fish that were left were not so desirable. They were certainly not culls, but they weren’t top quality either.

I checked in 2 boxes of fish as luggage in Singapore, and only had one DOA in San Francisco. I had no problems checking in the boxes in Singapore. The one bag had not been sealed properly, and all the air and water leaked out. Customs in San Francisco stopped us for a check, but we were allowed through after they verified the species. A week later, I received the fish that I had selected in Penang. The survival rate was 100%. Again, I had no problems with customs. A few weeks later, I received more fish from a different breeder in Penang, but the survival rate and packaging was not so good. That breeder replaced all the DOA free of charge.

I’ve had the fish for about 6 months now. I did have some problems initially with some turning black in one tank. This was confined to one tank , but I did lose 5 fish out of that batch. I kept all fish from different breeders in separate tanks. I have treated for gill flukes, but, overall, the fish are healthy and growing. I ordered too many fish overseas, and after a few months, I have been slowly selling off some of my collection. I intend to keep the best looking fish, and hopefully get some babies out of them next year.
Thanks for reading this long report!
Brigitte

goldengatediscus
10-08-2002, 03:45 PM
Spotteds?

goldengatediscus
10-08-2002, 03:46 PM
Ruby Red Alencers

goldengatediscus
10-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Blue Diamond and babies

goldengatediscus
10-08-2002, 03:49 PM
Fish breeder at his fish farm.

goldengatediscus
10-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Chai's prize winning fish.

goldengatediscus
10-08-2002, 03:52 PM
Babies!

goldengatediscus
10-08-2002, 03:54 PM
Leopards.

ronrca
All the breeders that I visited feed their fish a beefheart mix with astaxanthin color enhancers and live worms. What is astaxanthin color enchancers? Is that good?

Thanx for the report and the nice pics! I would love to take a trip like that sometime! ;D

goldengatediscus
Oriental Dream.

EthanCote.com
10-08-2002, 04:00 PM
Thanks Brigitte.

Sounds like you had one great trip. Many thanks for the description. I was hanging on every words ;D

And many thanks for the photos. Photos themselves are worth a thousand words. So thank.

So when is yer next trip? ;D

Cheers,

Chi.

DarkDiscus
10-08-2002, 04:05 PM
Brigitte,

Thanks for the story of your trip and the pics. Definitely sounds like a lot of fun.

John

goldengatediscus
10-08-2002, 04:07 PM
One more to add. Yellow Snakeskin.
I have a lot more pics, but don't want to bore everyone and overload the server!

ronrca
10-08-2002, 04:08 PM
Bored!???Bored!!?? Never! Keep posting! More the better! ;D

Tad
10-08-2002, 04:12 PM
Brigette,
thanks for sharing your adventure. The yellow snakeskin is awesome. Are you a collector or do you sell in the Bay Area?
Tad

goldengatediscus
10-08-2002, 04:49 PM
Hi Tad:
I like that yellow snakeskin too. Unfortunately, I had to leave its babies in Singapore, as I cut it too close, and was in danger of missing my flight back! I am a hobbyist, but I have several tanks going, and I'm just keeping the best for breeding, and only breeding the types that I personally really like, such as the Red Melons, yellow and spotted varieties. I hope to get some babies out of them next year. There are a lot of people interested in discus in the Bay Area.
Brigitte

Carol_Roberts
10-08-2002, 05:21 PM
Don't worry about the server - Please post more pictures. Can I go with you on your next trip?
Carol :heart1:

10-08-2002, 06:23 PM
bRIGETTE'
SWEET TANKS

IS THIS NOT YOUR SECOND TRIP THIS YEAR OR THIRD OR FORTH HEE.HEE.HEE
GLAD YOU HAD FUN
TAKECARE'
CARY GLD!

April
10-08-2002, 07:30 PM
Brigitte. how cool. great pics and great report. wish i was there.
keep us posted on your babies as they grow. or more pics would be great.

Discusgeo
10-08-2002, 07:58 PM
Very nice pictures Brigitte. Keep up the good work and I hope they all spawn for you. It's good to hear that you had a very nice trip and saw a lot of wonderfull Discus and people.
George

Dennis_Hardenburge
10-08-2002, 08:18 PM
Exellent coverage of your trip.
Thanks for shairing.
Dennis

chuck
10-08-2002, 09:34 PM
You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LUCKY! After seeing those pictures I got to get me a drool bucket! ;D ;D

Real nice fish !!!!
ATB
chuck

Willie
10-08-2002, 09:36 PM
I'm so jealous... ;)

Willie

Don_Lee
10-08-2002, 10:27 PM
Nice Brigitte! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your trip with us, it is fascinating!

Don

trucdan
10-09-2002, 01:01 AM
Hi Brigitte,
I was the person who told my friend to come over and buy your fish.
He came to your place twice and bought some fish. Your fish look good and the price is soft too. He was very happy with the fish at first.

However, the fish turn out with gill flukes and some of them was dead a few weeks ago. The rest is very sick now and my friend is struggling trying to save them. Seem to me that those fish are very resistant to medication (including formalin 37%).

Please understand that this is not an attack. I understand that you're just a hobbyist like the rest of us and you're not doing business by selling your fish. I just want to tell you that the fish you got from Penang or whatever place in Asia are big time carriers. Just want to let you know so you can have a better deal with your exporter next time.

peace.

trucdan

goldengatediscus
10-09-2002, 03:02 AM
Trucdan:
My last sale was in July. I guess, the question is "when does the seller's responsibility end?" I also had to treat for gill flukes, but I've had the fish for almost 6 months, and they are all well. To minimize parasites, I don't feed live worms, and to avoid polluting the water too much, I don't feed beefheart. I've never treated these fish for hex or worms because they don't show any symptoms. They are eating and growing.

I bought some fish from someone locally through an advertisement on SIMPLY. The fish died 2 weeks later, in the quarantine tank. Was the seller responsible for the loss, or me? I will not even respond to your statement that the fish I got from Asia are big time carriers. Just as well that I am a hobbyist, and I don't import to resell.

My post was a trip report on visiting fish farms in Asia, and to share some pictures. Any other concerns, you should have the class to email me privately.
Brigitte

10-09-2002, 03:13 AM
Brigitte,

Nice thread. That Yellow SS is sweet.

Mat

trucdan
10-09-2002, 03:34 AM
Hi Brigite,
As I stated in my post, we're not saying that you're responsible for the sick fish. That's why we never send you any complaint at all. I also understand that you're just a hobbyish. What I am trying to say is that the fish you imported from Penang did have some problem. Even though you fixed them before resale, but the problem reoccured. I don't blame you for that, at all. I just want to give you an alert message that buying discus from a new or not well-known breeders could give you some problem at the end.

Even though I am new to this hobby but I understand that buying fish from a high reputation breeders will minimize the risk of getting sick fish.

Again, sorry if my post upset you but please understand that I am not trying to attack you. I feel that this board is open for any positive discussion so I just want to tell you what happened to those fish. By doing that, I hope it will help you to eliminate the sources which sold you bad fish so you will get better fish next time.

If you're still mad for what I am saying, then I think I need to say sorry to you again.

Trucdan

chuck
10-09-2002, 07:19 AM
TrucDan,
What is the purpose of your post??? Who cares what happened to your friends fish he brought in July?????
were you trying to say "you should be Cautious about buying fish from unknown breeders because they might not be a committed with their fish".... if so why didn't you just say that?? but instead you had to say that asian breeders sell sick fish and Briggette is passing those fish around... Then you follow up with a bunch of "BED wetting" ...I'm sorry's :-[ :-[ :-[ but the damage was done.. :-\

I agree with Brigitte. Any problems YOUR friend had should be addressed BY your friend PRIVATELY...NOT on a open forum by a third party...
Brigette was just telling us about her trip, Which I and a lot of posters found very interesting... No one needs to read your GOSSIP ...
AS for me, if it didn't happen to you..... I DON't CARE!!! :thumbsdown:

Posts like yours (Idle Gossip) scarres good people away from posting and IMO one good post like Briggetts blows away 20 stupid non informative posts like the one you posted....

TrucDAn.....Quit yer BED WETTING and show some Courteously and common sense....
JMO
chuck

10-09-2002, 07:35 AM
Brigitte: thanks for sharing. I think we share the same interest of colorful fish. solid yellow and red. I particularly like the Rub. R Alenquer. Did you get it from Chai? I hope Chai is not into Flowerhorns like most of the breeders in Malaysia.

Jimmy.

Don_Lee
10-09-2002, 08:33 AM
The net often is difficult to communicate over, and things do not always come out the way we intended. I would suggest moving on from here and not commenting further on fish illnesses, particularly not when there has been no communication with the seller.
Thanks again Brigitte for a great article. Invaluable information.

Don

DarkDiscus
10-09-2002, 08:46 AM
Brigitte,

I just got my hands on a copy of Dr. Clifford Chan's Book of Singapore Discus (yesterday, in fact - used for $9.99) and I feel that if you included a little more info on the individual breeders, some more personal comments and thoughts and some more pics, you could put together a really cool update on the state of discus in Singapore and maybe write your own book! Thanks again!

John

RichieE
10-09-2002, 09:52 AM
Brigitte thanks for a very interesting look at your vacation. The post wasnt long at all. I think we would all like to see more just like it. Your story gives us insight to an experience most of us will never have. Rich

Chuck, Did someone piss on your Wheaties this morning??? ;)

I love this place.

ronrca
10-09-2002, 10:10 AM
Yep, I love the pics! I do hope that you have more! ;D Again, thanks for sharing and I hope that all goes well! ;)

Gee Chuck! Take it easy! Im quite sure that this is not helping the situation. In fact, you are scaring trucdan away also by that vicious attack! I totally agree that trucdan should of contacted Brigitte privately however tearing someone apart openly, well, that just causes hard feelings!

DarkDiscus
10-09-2002, 10:21 AM
Folks,

This is a great thread, no need to go on about trucdan's comments. He understands what's what. Chuck was just trying to let him know it, if a little undiplomatically.

Please let it lie.

Thanks!

John

goldengatediscus
10-09-2002, 10:33 AM
Okay guys! "I will turn the other cheek" so to say, because there are a bunch of good people out there, and this post is not about illness and disease. There is a fine line to cross as to when to discuss things privately, and when to air the dirty laundry in public.

This trip to Asia was quite affordable because it was done using frequent flyer miles. Yes, I am a frequent flyer mile junkie. Hotels are cheap everywhere , except in Singapore, and the food is cheap and delicious everywhere. I kept my own notes about the breeders, and the types of fish that they specialize in, but I didn't want to put too much detail into the report. I didn't have the time to visit everyone that I wanted, and I didn't buy from every breeder that I visited. Overall, if anyone wanted to plan a trip to SE Asia, I think that spending a few days visiting fish breeders is a highlight for any discus enthusiast. My husband is not into fish, and our compromise was to spend a few days on the beach, and sightseeing, and not even look at one fish in Thailand, (except on my dinner plate!)
Brigitte

10-09-2002, 10:51 AM
Brigitte, Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about your trip and posting the pictures..I found it very enjoyable. Sorry you got blindsided by a post but please don't let that discourage you from continuing to post your thoughts and pictures..They were great...I'd bring your fish home anyday.

A question..do you get the sense that most of the breeders you visited have other souces of support (jobs) or is discus breeding their main livelyhood?

discuskrib
10-09-2002, 11:21 AM
Brigitte,

thanks! for the great post about your trip. i don't think the people on this board could ever think it was too long. discus junkies like all of us never get enough detail. thanks again

10-09-2002, 11:31 AM
Hi Brigitte,
Thoroughly enjoyed your post. I'm sure you must have liked the food from the pasa malams and the side street vendors too. Did you visit the East coast? They have very nice beaches there. Thanks for sharing.
Phil.

jim_shedden
10-09-2002, 11:34 AM
It wasn't long enough..................this is great stuff........thanks for sharing

Jim

rsawest
10-09-2002, 01:04 PM
Brigitte,

Thanks for posting the pics and the story. It's always interesting to hear about visits to breeders. I look forward to more reports in the future.

Thanks.
Linda

trucdan
10-09-2002, 01:31 PM
Hi Chuck,
No need to flame on me. I have the answers for your concern.

Why I post for my friend? How can he doesn't do it himself?

My friend just learned how to use the Internet for about 3 months (I showed him all the work). He doesn't know how to type. If he makes a post, it will take him 2 hours.

We're not complaining. What Brigite did is FAIR enough. She sells the fish, buyers come over, pick the fish and pay her. There's no committment. We like the fish because they look good and the price is VERY good.

I posted here because Brigitte mentioned that she bought the fish from small farm insteads of the well-known ones. I am just trying to tell her in a friendly manner that could be the risk. I NEVER said that Asian breeders trying to spread diseases. Please read it again.

If Brigitte is selling fish for business, I wouldn't say anything because I understand that people need to make their living.

However, in this case, she 's only a hobbyish, and she doesn't have lot of experience in importing fish. I just want to tell her to be more careful with the sources. I missed her sales twice but I will try to buy fish from her the next time. You will wonder WHY? Because the fish is nice and the price is good. By telling her about the problem, I hope that she will come up with "cleaner" fish. If Brigitte can import nice, clean fish and sell them with that nice price, we, the discus hobbyish here in Bay Area will benefit alot.

FYI, I am not the type of people who always blame seller for the sick fish. I bought some fish from a well-known breeder here in this board and half of them dead due to some sickness. I NEVER ask for a replacement even thought I know that breeder would do it if I ask for it. The reason I never do it because I feel that the fish die because of ME.

Posting on the Net will often lead to argument. It's normal because it will not be interesting any more if every one think the same and act the same. However, it will be easier if you try to argue in a friendlier maner. We all come here to learn and share, no need for big flamming.

I hope my post will calm you down. If not, let me know and I will send you some cold beers.

Peace.

Trucdan

chuck
10-09-2002, 02:13 PM
:blushing:
:love:

chuck

goldengatediscus
10-09-2002, 05:18 PM
When I said that I visited the smaller farms, I meant 100 tanks as being small. In Malaysia, I did not visit breeders such as Shaifullah Yeng, but I visited a number of breeders mentioned in the Malaysian Discus and Asian Discus books. Are these well known enough? The breeders that I visited were not the type that had a few tanks in the back of their yards. These are reputable breeders that have hundreds of tanks and are mentioned in the books above. Some of the breeders visited in Malaysia include:
Jonathan and Connie Teh - 1000 tanks
Cheang Thean Ewe - 500 tanks
Dickson Lim - 150 tanks
Lee Chee Foon - 300 tanks
Goh Eng Koon - 100 tanks. His was the smallest facility that I visited.
Lee Koon Yen - well known for his Oriental Dream

For many of the breeders, this business is their sole income. For others, it supplements their current jobs. Labor is cheap, and family members help out too. Since this is a business for many of the farms, it is also very political and there is a certain amount of rivalry. I was told to avoid some, because their facilities were not very clean, etc. If you go with the "wrong" person, many doors will be closed to you.

And again, I don't intend to import to resell. Too many headaches, and then it becomes a business. The wholesalers here get fish at cheap prices from China and Thailand. I've sold off all my excess fish, and I've kept enough to hopefully get a few breeders out of them.
Brigitte

gotodiscus
10-09-2002, 09:37 PM
Brigitte,
I have been in the quarantine of Discus for a long time,so,I will tell you why I don't buy cheap discus is just because they only feed on live food which they collect from the wild or maybe in polluted water,if your Discus has not gone thru the plague and has got no anti-body to maintain the osmoregulation and the body does not produce the slimes for protection,the cheap staffs can kill all your existing discus within one week if they carry parasites or unknown pathogens attached from the polluted water.

If they have the plague you will sit down to scratch your head ,because I used to called them and report the fish died,the replied is always:I sold to others and they just express them out with no problem,why are you so stupid to quarantine the fish? there is no replacement because we sell you cheap.

So,anyone is going to import some cheap discus make sure the exporters quarantine them first before exports,then I will see whether they can cover the loses or not ?

GS

goldengatediscus
10-09-2002, 10:43 PM
No talk of discus plague or whatever you call it on this thread. This is a trip report on my vacation.
Brigitte

oodi
10-09-2002, 11:41 PM
JMO, But it seems to me that any posts regarding diseases, etc. should be made in the Disease/Sickness and Medication section. I can't speak for Brigitte, but I don't think her intention with this thread was to start a discussion on what she should/should not have done on her trip... but rather to share what she DID do. And IMO, it sounds like she did it smart!!! Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed her posts, WISH SHE WOULD POST MORE ABOUT HER TRIP, and hope to be able to make this kind of trip some day!!!

Judi
:)

erikiiy
10-10-2002, 12:16 AM
gotodiscus-

I don't see what you posted has ANYTHING to do with this thread at all.

Lynn
10-10-2002, 01:25 AM
Brigitte,

THANK YOU for sharing your experiences!
Please keep us updated if you get any pairs and fry!
I would really love to see the offspring from that yellowSS!
Have fun and good luck!!! ;D ;D ;D

Lynn

scottwheels
10-10-2002, 01:50 AM
Whoa!!! Brigitte, you lucky thing, I'm going green here looking at those photos. I think it's great that you can combine a holiday with a fishing expedition (so to speak). How did you meet the Tehs? I understand what you say when you have to avoid the politics or you will end up seeing less fish. Unfortunately, due to Draconian quarantine laws in Australia, I can only look, I can't buy. I used to work in Indonesia and have been to Singapore and Malaysia many times without seeing any Discus :( Next time I will!!!

Cheers, Scott

keno
10-10-2002, 10:06 PM
Brigitte, wow what a great story, thanks so much for your time and effort in writing and posting the pics, its amazing how ignorant some people can be in trying to spoil such a great thread. Thanks again! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ken

Preeda_Lim
10-11-2002, 02:51 AM
Hi Britt.. ;D

Very nice fish :D thanks for sharing. Anyway if you wanna take a visit Thailand. DON'T hesitate to tell me 8)

Preeda

calgalindi
10-11-2002, 03:42 AM
Dear Goldengatediscus, u said "The wholesalers here get fish at cheap prices from China and Thailand". Can u tell us (1) WHY Malaysian Discus is better ? (2) Have you visited Discus Farms in Tailand and China? (3) Do you know Wayne NG has Discus Farms in China? (4) Do you know many breeders in Malaysia buy their discus from Tailand , India and China? (5) Do you think a good breeder is interested in exporting a few boxes to an individual who resides in the USA? I hope our kids are not misled by some of the political posts. Don't worry about "the wholesalers get their fish at cheap prices" coz u are not a seller, right?

DarkDiscus
10-11-2002, 08:33 AM
calgalindi,

Your point is? I'm sure that Brigitte was NOT planning on creating an intensive study of discus imports and exports from Singapore, rather an informative review of her great vacation. If she was told something about cheap imports from China and repeated it, and you happen to disagree, please feel free to offer contrary information.

WITHOUT the attitude.

Thank you.

John

10-11-2002, 09:22 AM
Dark: Good work!!. Thanks

Jimmy.

jim_shedden
10-11-2002, 11:12 AM
DITTO DARK

JIM

oodi
10-11-2002, 11:14 AM
Hey John...

ME THREE!!!

Judi

10-11-2002, 11:16 AM
me four, John....
Phil...

jeep
10-11-2002, 12:25 PM
Brigitte, all those pics are great, but that yellow ss is incredible! WOW. Sounds like a great adventure!

goldengatediscus
10-11-2002, 03:27 PM
::) :D
Thank you all for your support in keeping this post true to its intentions.
Someone posted this in another forum, and she says it better than I can.

The lady who posted about her problem with XXXXX posted a neat last message which included the following sentence:

"I apologize that my simple question/concern in regard to my bad experience caused such a silly and obnoxious fight on this board"

It seems that EVERY and ANY question, concern, idle thought, muse, etc in this section receives angry and hateful counter-posts, regardless of how harmless the original post was.

So my question to you people is: WHY SO ANGRY?

People asking questions on this board aren't posting so they can be berated and bombarded with dumb and hateful messages. If you can answer their question, answer it KINDLY. If not, let it be. There are no dumb questions, just dumb PEOPLE.

No, I'm not a chick, I'm not gay, I'm not a vegan, and I'm not a tree-hugger, so any of you bastards thinking of flaming, F off.

Shi*t, see? This anger is contagious. C%*#$^@&+ers. End of Quote.
;) :D :)

In reply,
1. I never said that Malaysian discus are better.
2. I told you in my report that I never went to Thailand or China.
3. Yes, I was told that Wayne Ng recently moved ops to Guangzhou.
4. Yes, I am aware that some farms buy fish from Thailand and China, just as some farms in Singapore buy fish and have partnerships in Malaysia and other countries. A whole bunch of fish are imported and exported throughout SE Asia. It's part of the economy!
5. I don't understand this question. IF I had $5,000, and I wanted to place a one time order, regardless of whether I reside in the US, Europe, South America or the moon, I am sure that breeder will send a one time order to me. Long term relationships are preferred, both in love and business, but Money is Money. Oops, there may be some out there that prefer one time quickie love relationships, sorry ;)

It doesn't bother me if wholesalers can get fish at cheaper prices. As I said before, if you pay more, you get better quality fish. Once in a while, you come across a beauty at a low price, and that's a killer deal. Applies to everything from cars to housing to furniture. I have enough friends in the fish business, and have tagged along for a visit to a local wholesaler. (lots and lots of all kinds of fish!). And I keep my ear close to the ground.
Brigitte

jim_shedden
10-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Bridgette : I really enjoyed your post as did most. Please take no head of the other nonsense. If you have more pics please continue the thread.

Regards : Jim

goldengatediscus
10-11-2002, 04:50 PM
Jim,
You've got more pics! This one is of Chai's Red Melons.
Brigitte

goldengatediscus
10-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Another Red Melon

goldengatediscus
10-11-2002, 04:52 PM
Roy's yellow snakeskin with mate.

goldengatediscus
10-11-2002, 04:53 PM
Inside another farm.

goldengatediscus
10-11-2002, 04:53 PM
Another beauty.

DarkDiscus
10-11-2002, 04:54 PM
I think this is just me, but those red melons with the white faces are sort of gross. They look like undead fish or something!

The ones that are mostly read or have beige faces are nicer, IMHO!

John

goldengatediscus
10-11-2002, 04:54 PM
Final pic. One of Chai's.

DHDiscusMan
10-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Wow! That first Red Melon looks fantastic! Was it really that dark like a burgondy red or is that a lighting illusion?

I want to go to Asia with someone else bank account! Can I please???

DarkDiscus
That last fish is awesome, though! Brigitte, you are right, it is a beauty!

John

jim_shedden
Wow.......great shots

jim

jeep
10-11-2002, 05:04 PM
DHD, if you go, can you pick me up some of those yellow ss's? Even better yet, Brigitte if you get tired of them, I'll take 'em off your hands!!! ;D

chuck
10-11-2002, 08:08 PM
Briggite,
GREAT PHOTOS!!! :thumbsup:
What I would do to get my hands on a pair of them fish... :blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing: ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
chuck

oodi
10-11-2002, 09:14 PM
GO BRIGITTE!!!

Judi
:D

SLY
10-11-2002, 10:46 PM
Final pic. One of Chai's.

if I remember correctly this is not chai's fish.

goldengatediscus
10-11-2002, 10:58 PM
SLY,
Is that one of Lee Tong Juan's? It's tough to keep notes on a digital camera, especially with the many pics that I took. If it is Mr Lee's fish, then it's got to be one of his Singapore Fireworks. Correct?
Brigitte

SLY
10-12-2002, 12:40 AM
yes it's Mr Lee Tong Juan's Singapore Fireworks. ;)

chuck
10-12-2002, 09:21 AM
is that the same Singapore Fireworks that Julia Mann of "blue moon discus" said she has for sale ???
sure is a beautiful fish....
chuck

Willie
10-12-2002, 09:54 AM
Brigitte;

I think you've made a wonderful contribution with this thread. I've been collecting discus for a while and it seems that American fish have made a dramatic improvement in quality. Its wonderful to see, however, how rapidly the Asians have developed newer, more fantastic strains. That's what makes this such a great hobby. Thanks for keeping us glued to the computer.

Willie

10-12-2002, 06:35 PM
Wow Brigitte, Excellent thread and great photos.

Thanks for taking the time to share them with all of us.

Mike

FischAutoTechGarten
08-08-2003, 11:49 AM
neat. the photo of the farm was appreciated too. space is at a premium there.