PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Discus Types

Nigel
10-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Hi Everyone,
We all know the usual types of Discus but I have come across some which I must confess that I am not sure of. For example what do you get when you cross the following.

1. Blue Turquoise x Blue Diamond
2. Snake Skin x Blue Diamond

Also whats with the vertical bands. Some fish have them evenly spaced out while others like in the Snake Skin, which i have come across has a Tiger effect. What was more, the fish had the typical Snake Skin Head markings on its head which was blue, the body was like a powder blue with a hint of the vertical bars showing in a Tiger pattern and the fins were blue.

Can anyone tell me how to classify this one?

Best Regards,
Nigel.

Rikk
11-11-2002, 07:04 PM
look here, you canb see the most there is
you have something else make it a nigel-discus !!!! ;D

http://www.discusashobby.com/

Rikk
11-11-2002, 07:05 PM
i gave the link, but take a look at the strains !!

peety
11-26-2002, 06:12 AM
I had a look and i can't even find a couple of mine ... they look like a golden rainbow x brown !!! So many colours ! :)

The futures so bright .... 8)

peety ::)

01-08-2003, 01:18 AM
Nigel, Blue turquoise X Blue Diamond---Full Color
Blue Diamond X Snakeskin----Blue Scorpion

Joe

01-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Good Deal Joe,

I been telling people for awhile what the blue scorpion was.

So to anyone wanting finelineblue snakeskins sold under the trade name Blue Scorpion! Just breed your male SS the better the specimen the better the fry! And your Female blue diamond and this will give you a good % of fineline snakeskins known as blue scorpion's on your first genaration.

Its also important to use a male snake NOT a male blue Diamond. same goes when breeding for leopard snakeskins.
again Take Your best Male snakeskin and cross it with Your best Female leopard and this will give You a small % of leopard snakeskins first genaration. IME males will pass on More trait's then females will like Body shape, size,color,ETC ..
This is why its very important to use males on these outcross attemps.

Back to bluediamond snake. When crossing them breeding and raiseing fry from this cross you still will get a % of other types ,strains, or Throwbacks. In the spawn of BDxSS
you will get bluesnakes,blueturks, red turks,bluecolbalts,9 barsnakes.
You will also get some that allmost look like bluediamonds.
theses are the ones you will be after.

When little they are very blue and solid. Some showing 14 bars some only eye and tail bars. others only eye bars.
The ones with only a eye bar are the cream of the crop! they will never show any body bars and when adults the eye bar will fad. as far as the pattern goes all of the solid blue ones saved will show good pattern as they grow. some more then others Some faster then Others some will also stay solid blue only showing snakeskin pattern in the head and gill plates.

On a blue snakeskin Brown is the backgroung color.
when crossed for Blue Scorpion Blue now becomes the background color on all the Blue scorpion fry. You see the color is reversed. Blue lines BLUE SNAKE. BROWN LINES Blue scorpion snake.

When they reach about 2" the brown finelines start to bleed in through the blue.
when adults some high Quality PCS are a sight to see.

HTH you create a Monster LOL!

TakeCare,
Cary Gld!

fcdiscus
01-08-2003, 03:30 PM
You hit it right on the head, Cary. I have some blue Cobra SS bred to a female blue diamond, and the three month old fish are just about exactly what you describe. Frank ;)

01-08-2003, 03:34 PM
Cool send me the ones with only eye bars hee.hee.hee
looking for a steal :-X I mean a deal LOL ;D

fcdiscus
01-08-2003, 03:47 PM
For You, my tireless friend- anytime! Frank ;)

01-08-2003, 03:52 PM
What a Guy! ;D

Don_Lee
01-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the great information posted here Cary! Fascinating stuff...

Don ;D

BlueTurquoise
01-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Can't find that in any book!

Chong

DREW
01-08-2003, 10:58 PM
bump ;D

01-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Cary, I see you picked up the ball ---and ran with it. The only possible problem is that someones head is going to explode!!!

Blue Turquoise, You are correct about not finding this information in any book. Many times the only information found is a rehash including the same text and pics. Some day the definitive discus book will be published. Two years or so??? Alot of published information is misinformation. One has to ponder---Why the mystique?? Or is it shots in the dark??

There--I feel better now that I took my Prozac, Joe :-X