PDA

View Full Version : Standard growth rate

ChienHsu
10-22-2002, 08:39 AM
Hi!

Can I have an idea what kind of growth rate the normal healthy discus can have?

For example:
1 month -- ??? inch (not counting tail/couting tail)
2 month -- ??? inch

Thanks

Chien

Ardan
10-23-2002, 06:21 AM
Depending on variety, food and conditions (wc etc)

first 3 months = 1 inch per month

then 1/2 inch per month thereafter

(these are optimum and depend on the discus strain also)

hth
Ardan

allan_mark76
10-23-2002, 03:30 PM
steelhead just wondering---> what are the optimal conditions??? ??? Also have you experienced those growth rate figures for yourself or are those figures just an average growth rate.

Thanks.

A- ;D

DarkDiscus
10-24-2002, 09:14 AM
Allan,

My discus are now 8 - 9+ months old and range in size from 3 inches SL (the runt) to 5 inches SL. Ideally, according to Ardan's estimate, they would be 6 inches SL by this point. I think that growth rate is a goal which is attainable by massive w/c and not interrupted by any illness, etc.

My personal goal was and remains 6 inches SL at about 1 year.

John

jim_shedden
10-24-2002, 01:20 PM
John : That is about what my crew are averaging as well.

Jim

Ardan
10-26-2002, 07:30 PM
Hi,
Optimal conditions IMO are daily wc 30 to 50% with aged water.
WIping tank at least once per wk (inside), good varied diet with some relatively safe live food also. Enough space in the tank, but not too large to stress the fish. (8 per 50 gal approx)
Good filtration and aeration (agitation)
Temp 86F
Disease free

Most important, stock from a reputable breeder and a good strain (ask Cary at GLD) 8)

hth
Ardan

ChienHsu
11-04-2002, 09:46 AM
Hi!

Thanks for input. I think mine are behind. I have brought 6 discus about 5 months ago (about 2") for my 60 gallon tank. One died. One of the survives seems not growing like the rest. Of course, everyone peck on it, even the one I brought after (with the same size). The rest of them are growing and, but not as fast as yours (now only about 4-1/2"). Any suggestion to bring the smallest one to the same size?

Thanks

Chien

DarkDiscus
11-04-2002, 10:34 AM
Chien,

I think that that small guy is just the runt. If you pulled him and tried to grow him you MIGHT have a chance, but I don't know if it will work. Al and I were discussing my runt the other day and he suggested I pull the fish and try a deworming treatment as a last resort. I cant see what it could hurt, so I'm going to give it a shot - I like the shape and color of the fish, it's just not growing.

You could ask him about it yourself.

John

RAWesolowski
11-07-2002, 02:55 PM
Chien,

Our local aquarium group recently had a fry growing contest for discus fry. Everyone received fry from the same brood with an award to the individual with the greatest growth after three months.

Average size after three months was 3 inches. The winner's discus were 5 inches. Her recipe for success was:

1. Daily water change of 20% with tap water,
2. Tank temperature above 86F,
3. 8 daily feedings of live daphnia, brine shrimp and black worm,

The fish were raised in a planted tank with 2 angels as "dither" fish.

Her thoughts were that the fry would require some competition for food to teach them how to compete, therefore she added two angel fry that were about the same size. She also felt that tap water would provide the greatest amount of minerals for growth. She wasn't worried about pH or hardness as the fish were not near to breeding age.

The higher temperature, she maintained 88F, was to spur metabolic rates. The frequent feeding of live, high protein foods was to spur growth.

Would I do the same things? Perhaps, I like the idea of higher temps and frequent feedings of live food. I probably would not use angels as dither fish. I maintain planted aquariums so I would use a planted aquarium, but that is my bias.

Many of the people on the board would be against:
1. Angels
2. Planted aquarium
3. Less than 50% water changes
4. Some form of live food

In any case, her discus survived and grew rapidly. Additionally, she now has three dicus for the cost of the entry fee and she won the prize! I think she did OK.

EthanCote.com
11-07-2002, 03:02 PM
Thanks Bob for posting that.

It just go to show us that there are more than one way to raising successful Discus.

Cheers,

Chi.

DarkDiscus
11-07-2002, 03:25 PM
Bob,

Nice story. Thanks.

There are DEFINITELY many ways to raise fish and people should always do what works for them.

John

ChienHsu
11-07-2002, 04:06 PM
Bob:

Thanks for your info. I have questions about how to raise the fry:

1. How many fry in the tank for each person? After 3 months, are they about the same size?

2. Regarding the tank setup, how many hours she kept the light on?

Sincerely,
Chien

Rikk
11-11-2002, 06:50 PM
Hi RAW.................

nice idea for a contest rasing fry
seems like a nece idea to do here also

can i steel your idea ?