PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Discus Club!!!

EthanCote.com
10-24-2002, 10:58 AM
Hello all,

I want to let everyone know that we are in the process of starting up a Discus Club within the Toronto area. We plan on having monthly discus meeting to discuss various topics as well as to trade/sell fishes (and perhaps an auction) among other things.

The reason for the club is to foster friendship and to share our knowledge and experience with one another as well as to acquire new fishes ;D.

To those interested in joining, please leave a post here or email me at: discus@ethancote.com You do not need to be living in the Toronto area to join, everyone is welcome.

Right now we are in the process of looking for hosts/hostesses to host our very first meeting. All cost associated with the meeting such as for drinks/snacks/coffee will be covered by all members.

To those interested in hosting (or those who know of people who might be interested in hosting), please email me at host@ethancote.com

Lets make this a successful club. So people start passing the word around and see if there are others interested in participating.

It would be a shame not to have a Discus Club in such a big and beautiful city. I'll keep everyone posted as more details present itself.

Regards,

Chi.

Sean
10-29-2002, 02:47 PM
I would make it up for any trade shows or sales and maybe the first meeting to gain some Canadian contacts, but living in Windsor would be quite a ride for a monthly meeting. Doesn't mean I would subscribe or pay for a membership though!

Good luck fellas,

Sean.

P.S. If there is anything I can do to help, please feel free to ask.

mustysushi
10-29-2002, 02:57 PM
Come on now Sean... I KNOW you want to get out of town for a few of these things!!!!!

EthanCote.com
10-30-2002, 01:15 PM
I would like to take this opportunity and thanks the administrators for moving my post up ;) I do need the exposure.

Trying to find someone to host this meeting is like pulling teeth :-\

Common folks, lets get the ball rolling and start emailing me.

To all those interested, you can post here or email me so I can add you to my database. I'll keep everyone posted as more info comes in...

Go out and pass the word around, recruit more members and most important see if you can get someone to host the first meeting ;D Currently I have a taker but his place won't be ready until next year.

Cheers,

Chi.

mench
10-30-2002, 04:18 PM
Chi,I don't know if I can make many of the meetings but I would like to join.We currently don't even have ANY fish related clubs anywhere in our area.So count me in.

Ron aka...Mench

EthanCote.com
11-07-2002, 02:20 PM
Quick update.

Still need people to host these meetings ;D

Please those interested, email me. Lets get thing rolling.

Cheers,

Chi.

EthanCote.com
11-12-2002, 02:50 PM
Another quick update.

I am still getting emails of people interested in a Discus Club. Unfortunately, none of the email is for a host to host our first meeting.

So until we find our host......that's all I have to update.

Cheers,

Chi.

darcy
11-13-2002, 05:47 PM
I wish there were more discus people where I lived! It's nice to talk discus with other keeper's. I think a club is a great idea. Wish you guys luck in getting it running!
Darcy

EthanCote.com
11-25-2002, 02:24 PM
Hello all,

I didn't want this post to go under the rug so gonna revive it.

Again, I still have no volunteers to host the first meeting, but got a bunch of people interested in joining.

Guess beside looking for hosts/hostesses, we also need people who might be interested in giving speeches on various topics, from artifical raising to medications. If you would like to make a presentation on a particular topic, please email me the topic so I can keep track of it in my database.

Thanks

Cheers,

Chi.

PS: Common folks, lets make this dream a reality!!!

SSTurner
01-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Hi, Chi
Any update? don't give up. You can't be around other discus keepers and not learn something. I'm from the south (Rochester N.Y.) but could make it up for some get togethers. Steve

jim_shedden
02-03-2003, 11:13 PM
Lets get this going

JIm

Joao
02-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Hi Folks,

That's a realy good idea, well I live in toronto Jane and St. Clair, and I think there's lot of people around here that keeps Discus, and the reason is there's none on the stores.
I think we could have a meeting once a month or twice, maybe in a coffe shop or in somebody's house, that has some place we could discuss our goals or problems with the fish.
Well, like that we learn all together , and we can trade or sell fish each other, because we know how to keep them and treat them right, at least as a fewer chances getting sick, versus the stores, they sell expensive, sick fish with disease, they keep Discus with all kind's a fish BIG AL"S is the worst fish store I've ever seen, I'm not a professional but I tell you if I was the manager in those stores, first the emploees have to pay me to take a course and leran a few basis then we see the way they take care of those small creatures.

Going to the point, I'm not a professonal, but I know the basis, I like (only) Discus, and will be nice to keep contact with all Discus fancy's around here Toronto, and of course around the world, because this site is most wonderfull way of keeping everyone informed and together, we are all humans, and we should be together agains't all kinds of racism, terror, and WAR. Discus keeper's, I believe, are seeking peace, you just look at your fish and will see what I'm talking about.

Thanks, all the best to you guys, and let's go for the club,

TORONTO DISCUS CLUB SOCIETY

Where everyone is WELCOME to join and share information or even just a coffe, you wan't loose because bying those fish in the store will cust you more money......

See you .

joao.sa@rogers.com

bobcat
08-21-2003, 12:30 AM
I just reg as a memeber and live in Scarb. what is the update of the club? I look forward to join it.
bobcat

Mykuhl
09-03-2003, 12:53 AM
I am in Toronto as well. I am also interested in joining. It sounda like a great idea, I really hope that it flies :).Ethancote, would the meetings take place in Toronto or in the GTA?

Graigy
10-20-2003, 10:40 PM
Im guessing there is still no club yet?
Im in Hamilton and I freely admit to having Discus fever.. lol

Its crazy trying to find dicus ANYWHERE around here...
let alone others who are into them.

I agree somewhere public would be best, who's going to invite internet strangers (even if thay are discus people) into their house ?

just wondering if theres been any action....

ciao

ybnormal
10-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Just cause I'm so fond of my neighbors to the north. :)

I've been to TO many times and it's one of my favorite places (I'm a Long Islander). I'd like to see you guys succeed in forming a club so here are some suggestions:

1. Plan your first meeting with a small group of ppl. Meet in a public place that commonly holds business meetings like a hotel or restaurant (Harbour 60 would be nice, and I might even go to that one) chuckle.

2. Define your goals and set your agenda. I think you'll be surprised how many ppl rush to get involved.

ybnormal

Haywire
10-22-2003, 08:47 PM
How about just joining a local Aquarium Club. There's Willowdale, Brampton (There's about 10 to 15 discus fans like me ;D), Hamilton (Mr. C. Drew has bred some of the best Pigeon Bloods I've seen in years :D), Durham etc.

I also know a few breeders who've given up on the clubs as well.

wayne29
12-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi,

Tell me more about the clubs that already exsist. I am looking for pigeon blood discus. How do I contact Mr. Drew?

12-30-2003, 11:09 AM
It seems like a few hobbyist are interested in forming a club. Bob Wilson is the man to start but he is a man with many hobbies. Coins, Stamps and horticulture. If I can get a few willing hobbyists to share their fishroom for the get together and chat about the discus once a month. That will be good enough to start. Let me see the hands. and togehter we can form a club. In several attempts. I had many people express interest but never show up for the meeting. Right now I have many hobbyists sharing bulk purchases,their first spawns before going to the stores and exchange information in every aspects of the fishkeeping weekly but not an offical meeting. We can pick a central location like a Tim Horton to meet and have a coffee and then whoever interested can go over to look at the fishroom of one of the member and talk about the fish and their set-ups. No Agenda and no committments. Just a group of crazy discus nuts get together and share their pride an joy together.
Jimmy.

jim_shedden
12-30-2003, 12:38 PM
I'm in on it............just let me know so i can plan accordingly

jim

12-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Jim: Your pair is still waiting for you to pick up. You may have a few more pairs to choose from. Where are these people who bought fish from LFS? We don't have enough to supply to all stores in T.O. alone. Where have they gone to?
Jimmy

jim_shedden
12-30-2003, 02:06 PM
I am trying to get there Jimmy. It has been nuts here.........I did 3 ice fishing shows in 1 day........its a tough job but someone has to do it.

Are you saying you have more fish? I have a freind who wants a pile..........let me know. I am rescheduling my schedule....... ;D.

Jim

Murphy
12-31-2003, 11:51 AM
Hi Jimmy, I'll be there too!. Just let us know when?. I know Bob Wilson from when I was a member Of N.A.D.S. Been to his house to view his fishroom in the basement. He has a pretty cool tank built into the wall.

12-31-2003, 11:55 AM
Ice fishing???? Where? We have a very warm winter. It's 3 degree C. today. Grass is still green here. My snow blower is still in storage.(quarantine).
Yes, 10 breeding pairs with fry. Make room for new stocks. and 1000 quarter size coming up. in a couple of weeks. Call Tran and reserve. I'll keep some for myself too.
Jimmy.

Upper Canada
12-31-2003, 02:58 PM
Jimmy,

I would support this.

I met some nice people the last time we tried.

Bob,
Upper Canada Discus.

jim_shedden
01-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Jimmy.............12" of ice
I'd rather be in a boat

jim

Farzad
01-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Hi Jimmy, I live in the GTA and would be interested. Please let me know. Thanks.

Farzad

wayne29
01-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Hi JimmyL,

Are your yellow pigeon blood fry available yet? I would love to pick-up two and see what else you have. I am downtown TO.

Thanks

01-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Wayne: I think he is away for a while. He is shutting down his system for a month. He gave me the rest of his fish last week for safe keeping until he comes back. He sold all the babies to a fish store in Dixie road and Dundas.
Peter.

wayne29
01-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the update!

wildthing
01-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Bob Wilson used to be Prez of the N.Am Discus assoc....he is located there in Toronto somewhere & has been involved with discus for many years....
his # used to be (905) 677 3765...you should give him a call

mench
01-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Jimmy,do ya have any of your super "bulldogs" ??? I REALLY like those...Gary and I are ready for a trip up north...Steve too
I wish all of us were close,I would be happy to open my home for the meeting,I have a huge family room and it would hold 20 or 30 very easy...oh well.I am sure no one would want to travel the 3 hrs to come to Rochester....Himmmm,maybe when the Fast Ferry starts running.....

Mench

Joao
01-26-2004, 12:33 AM
Ok,
Let's say I can rent a small hall for the meeting, here in Toronto whenever everybody agrees.

I don't mind to be in charge in renting the hall, prepare everthing for the meeting, like chairs tables, coffe, drinks, everthing a club deserves.
We will share the expenses with the people that agree to show up. I have some friends fron a club, and they could rent me the hall for a reasonable price, I don't know yet how much, but if we get together will be easy, i will do all the preparations , no charge, I used to work in restaurant industry for a long time, so leave it w/ me.
Then if we like the place, we can start having meetings in there, and some Discus show's here in Toronto, so that way will be a start for a future and strong society, we will never depend on the LFS anymore...
I was in big al's this weekend in Dundas in Mississaugua, I was shoked what I saw in there.

One tank full w/ discus about one inch to two inch in size, about forty, all dark, and sick mixed w/ other fish withoult proper care, and bad water conditions...

Another tank w/ wild brown discus and heckel, mixed w/ ray's fish, all of them scared in a corner, looking to me like asking for help, like the other ones, but this ones were like 5" in size, and getting very sick.

Another tank w/ discus , all mixed w/ fish that not good to keep w/ discus.... it never ends, my complains.

No one big question, for those managers of those lfs, can you keep a group of discus in a tank for more than a month??????? and healthy ? If no, you should resign from your position, and start learning how to do the maintenance of a fish tank and then, when you can see a clear and cristal water, you should go for the next level , " keeping fish in a tank" sorry not DISCUS YET....

Please, it's a shame for Big Al's to have tanks like those you have, and people make lines up at your door, they don't know that you guys don't care about fish, but money. If I was the manager of those stores you probaly will have to get an extra parking lot for hundreds of cars. Be more humane to those little creatures, they don't deserve those conditions...

I forgot to say, that in one of the tanks w/ the small and sick discus, they're almost black, was a stiker saying " Arrived fish not for sale yet" I can imagine when they will be for sale ... Dead...

About , the Toronto Discus Society , all do my best, I think there's guys w/ more exp. than me that could be running this group aswell , we should get together and help eacg other. Don't sell your fish to this lfs.

Joao

01-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Joao: I have no control who gets my fish. A wholesaler pick up my fish and distribute to all stores in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. South of the border to Winsor and Detroit. Further south as far as Trinidad. Big Al is one of his customer. I collect $8-12 each. The majority of discus buyers buy from the big outlet like Super pet and Big Al. for $50 each. I can't produce fast enough for them. They care about quantity rather than quality. Turks or SS or whatever. They careless about the strain, shape and size. Just numbers. That unfortunately is the majority of the market. The wholesaler is not interested in special strain or spotted. Just numbers and full of color at 1". I may offend you unintentionally by telling you the fact. That's where the money is. I used to have my own home base discus operation which were not hormoned and of high quality. Unfotunately I went bankrupt and was only able to sell a few a month to the serious hobbyists if I was lucky. It's not even enough for me to pay for the water alone. Now I do have good quality discus that I keep for my own enjoyment besides business. That's the only difference. As for the private breeder/hobbyist trying to sell to the big outlet?? Good luck!! they only accept fish were bought from them and only give them credits in ex-change for other equipment or fish. They will pay as low as $4.00 per fish.

About the club. I myself belong to Durham region, North york and Hamilton and fish clubs and actively participate in their autions and fairs in the US. It's a shame we don't have the discus Club. I used to offer my own building in downtown for the discus club which is now also serve as a off-track betting and a licenced social club for the elderly folks during the day when their children are off to work. I offered it for free on Sat. afternoon hoping to bring the duscus hobbyist together and also hoping to sell some of my high quality discus. It was a failure after 4 meetings. Somehow hobbyist in Toronto area are a bunch of shy fish keepers who are not willing to participate to the forum or join any discus club but prefer LFS fish. Very disappointing in my part. There are several attempts for setting up a club which I was involved in for the past 10 years. Each end up in a failure.
Peter.

wayne29
01-26-2004, 09:52 PM
I would be interested in attending. Anyone have any yellow pigeon blood discus?

Haywire
01-27-2004, 01:11 AM
I hate to say it, but I had a chat a year or so ago with an owner of fish store, basically there were 2 types of people buying fish:

1. the fish keeper, "I don't care where it came from, it's pretty"

2. the hobbiest, "Nice colours, shame about the shape, hey aren't these eyes supposed to be red? what's the deal with all the black spots."

I myself am a bit of snob, I care about what I get (now) and I care about what's going to breed and what's going to leave my system in the future.

P.S. if y'all wanna meet a week night is best, not a friday night, and not the 3rd thursday of the month, I'll even try to coax Bob out of his house.

Joao
01-27-2004, 01:49 AM
Thanks Peter,
It's very nice of you offering the place, but it's not nice that no one cares about the mettings, or to share the hobbie. I figure that out alredy , don't know why it's hard to get people together, maybe some breeders think they are ok like that...

We have so many breeders and hobbiests here in toronto, that if everybody showed up , we'll have to rent a big hall...
We have : Jimmy, Barbara from oakville, Bob Wilson, Turquis, my friend Dan, Kevin, John K., me Joao, you Peter, etc,. And so many people that is loged to simply, that we could start thinking of that, why not ?

Dan, I think the best time is weekends, maybe for us week days ok, but lets say somebody comes from outside, has to be in a weekend, and why not, bring the all family for a coffee and snack, enjoy shopping here in Toronto, " don't forget to save money for the discus hem..." , and will be nice, saturday evening or some sundays in the afternoon.

Please guys keep posting names, best times, ideas, that way we might get something, then voila. We can even arrange a metting in a restaurant, having dinner nice wine, and discuss thing's.

Please post your comments:

Joao

jim_shedden
01-28-2004, 07:04 PM
I live in Sudbury..........if a time is set I will ne there.

Jim

Joao
01-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Ok, Jim.
I don't know if we going to make it, don't see much int. from the discus fans. Cannot do anything much just by myself. But I'll cont w/ you. Thanks Jim.

ShadowDiscus
01-30-2004, 08:07 AM
:wave:
Just tell me when and where and i will be there 100%
kevin

Jason
01-30-2004, 08:43 AM
WHAAAA?????????????????????????

a discus club without me??? how does that happen?

paniza
02-03-2004, 08:12 PM
All righty!!!

I will be there... I don't care even if we meet in a Mac Donalds in somewhere.

I can help to organize if needed.

Let's do it...this way Jason can bring me some fish with no shipping charge. he he he

02-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Count me in. Mon-Fri. after 5pm. I really don't care neither. From Tim Horton's to King Edward Hotel. I'll be there. As long as I don't have to organize this time. I'll give Bob a call. He told me he has the money ready for the club.
Jimmy.

ottawadiscus
02-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Count me in. Weekends is good for me for a long drive :).

Loyed

Joao
02-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Ok, I'm taking a note with all the names.
I made a post for "Toronto Discus Society meeting" so everyone can drop their name, but anyway I'm cheking this one too.
The meeting has to be in a hall, large room at least for 60 people and I have it. The reason is , some people come from far away as Jason, and he wants to bring some fish, we cannot host a meeting in a coffee shop, we're going to take our fish to the meeting, who ever want's, I mention all this in the other post ( the meeting) so that way it makes more sense this kind of association, and it's professional, here we're not going just to mert people, but fish too.
I belive Jason won't fly to Toronto just to have a conversation, we need to do more and better...

Jimmy, what happen to the other club, I didn't know nothing about it. It's a good idea to invite Bob Wilson, we need experts in this matter , like you and others. Great.

Keep posting , then I'll sechule a metting, if you guys agree ;D ;D ;D

Joao

Joao
02-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Jason , are you going to charge for the shipping if you sell the fish here, we might want to buy all your fish so that way you don't have to take them with you ;) ;) ;)

Bring lots of bags my friend ;D ;D ;D

02-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Joao: The club failed many years before Simplydiscus was created. You wouldn't have known. It failed mainly due to outdated information was given and the speakers were more interested in their personal agenda and gains rather than passing valuable information to the hobbyists. It bound to fail if people are only there to sell discus and their equipments. Selling should be done on a separate events like the Durham region aution sale once in a few months.
Jimmy

Moira
02-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Joao,

I'm an enthusiastic discus hobbyist. I kept discus about 20 years ago and now i have returned to the hobby. A Toronto Discus Club sounds great and count me in.

EthanCote.com
02-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Hmm I haven't check this post for quite a while until I received an email from Joao. I'm glad to see you are picking up where I have left off.

I have tried on several occassions to get people together but it never happen. Guess its part my fault for arranging things around holidays and stuffs.

I would have done more if I was living in Toronto.

So I wish you all the luck in getting this started Joao.

Let me know of the time and place of your first meeting.

Here is the link to Joao's post of setting up a club:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=16074

Cheerio,

Chi.

Jason
02-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Joao: The club failed many years before Simplydiscus was created. You wouldn't have known. It failed mainly due to outdated information was given and the speakers were more interested in their personal agenda and gains rather than passing valuable information to the hobbyists. It bound to fail if people are only there to sell discus and their equipments. Selling should be done on a separate events like the Durham region aution sale once in a few months.
Jimmy

Jimmy,

look at the map and see where I am, If I can't sell fish or supplies...then I can't go its that simple, I can't take 3 days off of work to drive and round trip ticket is going to cost me $348.00 I'm not going specificly to make money and I don't expect too sell enough to offset my travel cost..but it will help.

02-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Jason: It wasn't my line of thinking when I wrote it. I was just telling what's the feed back from the members of our last failed discus club. Hobbyists are glad if you can bring them their fish personally. We had one speaker only telling centralized system is the only way to go. Another speakers was only saying that his discus was the only clean discus in Town. Another doesn't want anyone talk or ask questions when he spoke. People just got up and left and never came back. The last brought all his equpment with his name and business cards and pass along to everyone to see during his speech. It was just a suggestion and have no intention to offend or upset you by quoting my suggestion. Is that the reason why you threatened to remove my free offer to dill holes to other hobbyist?. If that's the way of your thinking. I'm sorry to offend you. that's not my intention at the very start. Money is the root of all evil. I will leave this forum if that's the case. I hope not.
Jimmy.

Jason
02-13-2004, 10:01 AM
no Jimmy I'm not offended, and I've always felt the world would be close to perfect without money.

even if its going to be a rule of no selling, I'll still try my best to be there to meet and talk and share ideas and experiences with you all.

Joao
02-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Jason,

I'll never ask you to come down just to listen or comment discus matters, that's why we have Simply...
I agree with you. And with Jimmyl.
What Jimmyl said has nothing w/ you, but was just to remind what happen in the past to prevent in the future.
Ofcourse, you cannot come here withoult any profit to you, it's your job, and the money you make from it ,it's for to support a good quality of the products you offer, and keep your job going.
The club should acept to sell fish or have special days for that, what about the sponsers, we have to count with them, and make their adv. otherwise nobody will survive, nor even the club.

About the club, I think it's not possible, I've seen not many responses to my post, so if anyone want's to continue please, go ahed, I don't like to see conflits for no reason...

I just want to , really thank to those good pleople from simply, as well all the people that had answered to my post, and I'm sorry to give up. Not enougfh pleople to go ahed .

Moon
02-24-2004, 11:26 PM
If the group is small, we can meet in someone's home. If not what about a church hall. These can be rented for about a hundred on a week day.
The Hamilton Aquarium Society does this on a regular basis. :)

Moon
02-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Bob Wilson was running NADS (North American Discus Society) for some time. I wonder if it is still active.

sam_y
02-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi guys,

Count me in if there's a club. I'm not sure whether it helps, but I run a local cichlid website (www.devoted.to/cichlids) which is pretty well known amongst GTA hobbyists. Perhaps I could help spread the word.

Best,

Sam