PDA

View Full Version : Useless Discus Products

ALEXIS
11-05-2002, 12:06 PM
What was the most useless Discus product you ever purchased ? I would have to say vibro-grow discus food would be at the top of my list.

scotz
11-05-2002, 12:16 PM
Alexis - I couldn't agree more - my fish won't eat the stuff :P . Other than that I have bought lots of tank maintaince junk that never works - you know the stuff that says you never have to change water, etc. - but that was years ago - now we all know the truth - wc,wc,wc, and then some more wc. :D

scotz

11-05-2002, 02:21 PM
Maybe I should open up my 55 gal stand and just take a picture. Everything under that particular one is useless. :o I think of it as the "Useless Product" storage cabinet, hoping some day I could us it for a McGuiver project. I could name a few but am too embarassed!. Well Ok just one..... Fish medication. I have oodles and oodles of it. ::) ::)

Vibra Grow? How about bird food? Wild birds eat practically anything.
My Vibra Grow is mixed in with all the favorite freezedried and flake foods. I have a few that eat it, so am lucky there.

Julz

breed_beyond
11-05-2002, 02:43 PM
I think that the most useless product I bought was seachem discus buffer, it's worthless at least for me........

Paul
11-05-2002, 02:55 PM
A old ceramic treasure chest ornament thingy. I can't believe I actually bought it! Worse, why I'm still holding on to it.

Paul

ALEXIS
11-05-2002, 03:04 PM
Paul don't feel bad I just threw out my first 5 gallon tank last year. It was the slate bottom tank my dad gave me in the second grade with the chrome frame.

DarkDiscus
11-05-2002, 03:15 PM
Alexis,

You threw out a tank?? Isn't that a sin?

Come on, you could have found SOMETHING to do with that tank! Fry tank? Worm storage tank?

;)

John

chuck
11-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Vibro_grow, my fish throw-up just saying the word near their tanks..
Black Water Extract... saw me coming...
Amazon Peat pellets by Marc Weis... came with a "SUCKER" sticker inside the can.
;D
chuck

Francisco_Borrero
11-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Any unwanted/stale/unpalatable food makes excellent food for your red wiggler culture !!! So keep saving them.....
Cheers, Francisco.

keno
11-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Vibra grow is at the top and those peat pellets! I put them in my emperor filter 5 years ago and stunk up the whole room for a week, oh man what a jerk i was for buying those stink pellets.

Ken

RichieE
11-05-2002, 04:19 PM
I didnt origionally buy it for discus but Ive got enough gravel in storeage to open my own fish store. Rich

Vibra-Grow :puke:

11-05-2002, 04:31 PM
GRAVEL... ? So true Rich.... I am planning a rock garden with mine.... Cactus, Tillandsia's, Bromelaids etc...... I have so much I could probably fill our sistern tank with it.

Julz

11-05-2002, 05:06 PM
Proper PH...if you put it in your tank, you are overwhelmed w/ algae in 2 or 3 days even w/ wc's....

nalah
11-05-2002, 05:12 PM
useless stuff- oh my,where do i start. i think the word "sucker" is tatooed on my forehead...LOL.
but i'm learning....... hundreds of $$$ later.

as for gravel,backgrounds,ornaments...... LOL... i am such a good daughter. gave it all to my mum. she loves me and so do her goldfish. :angel:

rfidiscus
11-05-2002, 06:18 PM
How about blackwater extract? It seems pretty useless to me unless you like tannin colored water. Do the water softner pillows actually do anything? I guess if you don't mind paying $5 for peatmoss in a bottle the black water extract is worth it.

April
11-05-2002, 06:47 PM
send it all to the fish auction in vancouver. it will all go for big bucks! seems theres alot of rich fish keepers in vancouver bidding big bucks for stuff.
i have all these metal bins that go under my tanks...from ikea. galvanized with lids. i have 5...and their full of goodies. some i use...some i dont...but its all there....just incase. got lots of packets of carbon...unopened...

11-05-2002, 07:31 PM
oxydators, blackwater extracts, liquid suppliments, no bs fry food, cannister filters, and water reconstituters.

jim_shedden
11-05-2002, 11:24 PM
fluval 404 & vibragrow

Jim

Denny
11-05-2002, 11:48 PM
holy buckets,

where to start? the top two that come to mind are the green-x phosphate remover pillows and the fizz-tab co2 setup i bought for my 125g that is good for tanks up to 20 g. but why read directions?

denny

11-06-2002, 12:11 AM
Thanks to all the members here.
I have not been suckered into any useless discus crap.
My suggestion is to post before you buy. Thats what this board is for.

Oh, maybe one. Hydro Sponge III. Anything over a 15 gal deserves a hydro V. Like they say, "Bigger Is Better".

Good Luck.

EthanCote.com
11-06-2002, 12:19 AM
Hmmm where to start.

I'll start off with Blackwater extract follow by pH buffer, follow that with pH down.

Sigh why did I wasted money on those stuffs? Newbie...gotta love me ;D

But I'm learning, perhaps in a month's time I might be adding a few more things to that list ;D

Cheers,

Chi.

Ralph
11-06-2002, 01:38 AM
"Cycle"

Smokey
11-10-2002, 09:41 PM
Here is mine..
Advice from box store employee's

slicksta
11-10-2002, 10:08 PM
Vibragrow..............
You have to hand it to there advertising department.... I think it's the same guys who do info-mercials
At least my Africans eat it, but I have to drop it in slowly as they don't like to pick it off the floor.
But then again they will eat gravel if I do the same....

I guess after that it would be my attempt at running a sewage treatment plant....otherwise known as a Undergravel filter.... :thumbsdown:

heavyp83
11-11-2002, 12:30 AM
Definately UG filter for me too.

Steve_Warner
11-11-2002, 05:54 AM
Hi all,
I vote for my canister filter(Magnum), which I'll never use again. It is noisy, harder than hell to start, leaks, is a PITA to clean and on and on.............

Steve