PDA

View Full Version : Please share your experiences with Aquabid.

Sean
11-05-2002, 03:18 PM
In recent light of policy changes, I am not trying to bash, I'm just curious as to the experiences people have had buying and selling fish, plants, equipment, etc. on aquabid. If this is inappropriate, I apologize and will not complain if removed.

Thanks,

Sean.

shootingstar
11-05-2002, 03:49 PM
I HAD ENOUGH OF AQUABID.....NEVER GO BACK AGAIN.

I WOULD ORDER DIRECTLY FROM SOME OF THE BREEDERS FROM THE BOARD.

mench
11-05-2002, 05:57 PM
I have bought fish,food,equipment,live food etc from Aquabid,so far I have only been stiffed once from a guy I ordered white worms from,I was out $6.All in all I am pleased.

Mench

Cormorant
11-05-2002, 06:03 PM
I had a similar bad experience with white worms on Aquabid. As for the fish I have ordered only Albino Bristlenose plecos from kensfish and I a'm very happy with them.

Albert

fcdiscus
11-05-2002, 06:20 PM
I also had that white worm experience on aquabid. Two tablespoons of dirt, and about 10 worms. Other fish buying experiences have been good and bad. The good is that I meet Mike Wells, Cary, Matt Parsons, and a host of really great people thru aquabid.I still look, but I would probably only buy my fish thru breeders I have come to know better thru this board. I can also add that my one selling of fish thru aquabid has turned out to be a very good experience and made me a life long freind in the process! Frank

John_Nicholson
11-05-2002, 07:09 PM
I have sold fish though there without complain. I have bought fish (not discus) from there and am batting about 50%. Buyer beware is the best that I can say.

-john

11-05-2002, 07:42 PM
I like Aquabid a lot. The only place I get ripped off is in my lfs's. (There is a great lfs about an hour away from me that is truely a gem but just not convenient for everyday needs, otherwise the stores around here bite)

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-05-2002, 08:59 PM
I advertize fish for sell once in a while on auqubid, but generally customers contact me directly as I advertize my e-mail address. To my knowlegde I have never had an unhappy customer, and aquabid is a place for me to advertize besides the forums.
Dennis

BLUEKNIGHT
11-05-2002, 11:21 PM
I have bought fish from AB and so far have not have any trouble.

Sean
11-06-2002, 12:38 PM
Well I posted this thread because I recently made a purchase of two 5" Blue Turks and I was hoping for some positive feedback before the fish came in. The fish arrived today DOA! The box has been punctured and the fish are DEAD!

Just my thoughts!

Thanks to everyone that posted.

shootingstar
11-06-2002, 01:14 PM
I won the bid for 3.5-4.0 inches golden discus, I agreed to buy 6.......they sent me 6 fish ok but they are 1.5-2.0 inches.

another time I won the bid for White diamond 2.5-3.0 inch for $38.00 each ( from one known Breeder but I will not say who unless you email me ).....never respond back.

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-06-2002, 01:45 PM
Sean
Sorry to hear about your terrible exsperience.
Take a picture of the fish and send it to who ever sent them and ask for replacement fish with shipping payed by sender or a refund inculiding shipping.
Not always but most times when fish come in DOA it is because they were not packed right to start with.
Dennis

Sean
11-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Dennis, I believe that to be the case here. When I received the box, both fish were packed in the same double bag and the box was just soaked. Not really sure if not packed right, or if shipping caused the problem.

fcdiscus
11-06-2002, 02:25 PM
Honestly, not to offend anyone- but that is a reason I felt we could use a section on this forum for experiences with such dealers. Perhaps it would have helped prevent this from happening to you Sean. Frank

BLUEKNIGHT
11-06-2002, 02:31 PM
I would agree with frank. there need to be a section fro stuff like this. sorta like a bullring. JMO

John_Nicholson
11-06-2002, 07:53 PM
I agree with Dennis the seller should either replace the fish at his expense or refund your money (including shipping)

Good luck -john

JeffreyRichard
11-07-2002, 11:38 AM
I'm going to dissent from the opinions of John, Blueknight and Dennis ... I'm not sure it's the seller responsibility to replace the fish unless they were explicitely guarenteed. Many of the sellers on Aquabid are individual hobbiests, not businesses, and they (probably) do their best to deliver the fish. Frankly, I view Aquabid as an opportunity to get fish (and stuff) at LOW prices, or to get unique items not generally available. Well, you get what you pay for ... if you are in it to get fish inexpensively, you should expect that the services around obtaining to fish are not going to be the same as if you buy from an established business. This is the way Aquabid works, and anyone that buys in that marketplace should be aware of this if they have any sense at all. It's the nature of that type of marketplace ... sometimes you get GREAT bargins, sometimes you get taken ...

I personally love aquabid. I've purchased discus 5 times through Aquabid, and have received quality 4 of the 5 times. I've also purchased over $600 worth of bettas over the past 2 years ... some are great, some are mediocre. Most fish arrive well, some didn't make it. I've never had anyone stiff me (over $1000 of purchases). I find it GREAT!

My advice is to approach Aquabid with you eyes open. If you're into taking a chance to aquire something unique at bargain prices, go for it. If you are very conservativ about your purchases, and expect guarentees, Aquabid is probably not the marketplace for you.

Jeff

11-07-2002, 12:14 PM
I agree with you Jeff when it comes to the quality of fish in this type of market place. However live delivery should always be guaranteed.

Mike

brewmaster15
11-07-2002, 12:29 PM
Hi all,

Sean.. I'm sorry for the loss of the fish in shipping. Personally I wouldn't buy anything on aquabid. I tend to buy from those I know and trust, and I have a fixed price in my mind . I'm not looking for deal just good fish.

This thread is jumping the gun a little though. Sean reported the fish arrived DOA. He didn't report anything on how the shipper responded to the DOA or even if he has contacted the shipper. Frank and Blueknight, I understand your feelings on the new policy... but in many ways this just supports it ( and I am not saying this to offend anyone either :). )

felt we could use a section on this forum for experiences with such dealers. Perhaps it would have helped prevent this from happening to you Sean.

As far as this post goes, the dealer hasn't even responded to the DOA. I don't know a thing about the seller but at least wait to see what the outcome will be.

I hope you get a replacement or refund Sean, I'd go back to the bid... many say guaranteed alive.

take care,
al

Sean
11-07-2002, 01:13 PM
Thanks again all.

First let me say, my intention was not to bash, I just wanted everyone experiences. I realize with anything there is a risks involved. I personally have no problems with the risk. I completely understood the risks.

When the thread was started, I just wanted experiences. Wow deja vu!

There was a guarantee on the fish, not sure about the shipping (I sure hope so) but if not no big deal, my lose will be small.

The fish I purchased were supposably a fantastic deal and I feel very responsible, ashamed that my greed killed fish. I'm not trying to be over-dramatic, but I don't thing animals need to die for no apparent reason.

brewmaster15
11-07-2002, 02:32 PM
Hi Sean,
No one said you were intending to bash. :) Have you tried to contact the seller? any response?

-al

Sean
11-07-2002, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I've contacted the seller. He told me he was planning on refunding the money. Didn't ask about shipping yet. I assumed so but not sure. It seems kinda crass to ask. I'll wait, for now.